Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Welkin's speech about "you lost as soon as you started to rely on the Valkyria's power" is the other part. When did Welkin suffer such massive brain damage? Because those words coming out of his mouth are a complete batch of crap. Gallia would have been hosed right up the rear end TWICE if not for Alicia's Valkyrian power. Without that, they couldn't have stopped Selvaria at Naggiar and the army and militia would have been crushed. They also wouldn't have gotten onto the Marmota at all without for Alicia damaging it with her Valkyrian lance. So Welkin is a big dumb hypocrite.
Welkin's right though. Had Max not focused on Valkyria power and used Selvaria so openly, Faldio wouldn't have gotten Alicia to trigger hers to counteract that and start the whole series of events leading to his downfall. If instead he simply treated Gallia to a normal campaign and brought more manpower than Gallia could deal with he would have won and then he could have commenced with his pet Valkyria project afterwards.
Instead he put that project first rather than the war and lost the war because of it.

I agree that Welkin says some pretty dumb bordering-on-hypocritical things in the latter half of the game but this isn't one of them. Gallia's greatest weakness is it's size compared to the Federation and Empire, as well as having a good source of what they want (Ragnite.) Rather than do the smart thing and bring overwhelming force to bear, he instead brings a smaller force bolstered by Selvaria and his prototype Valkyria project, to a place where there's an extremely high probability that there are going to be more Valkyria and that they'd be pretty mad at him for invading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nothing welkin says makes him a hypocrite, he had nothing to do with alicia awakening (and was actually not happy about it!) and she would have destroyed the marmota, not just damage it slightly if he hadn't stopped her. everything he does is consistent with his stated beliefs

you can argue that he's wrong, since he kinda is, but his point is more of a moral one than a practical one anyway

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a few things that should've been explained more in cutscenes but weren't about Max. He is a bastard child for all intents and purposes, hell his dozen other family matters tried to kill him (and did kill his mother). The entire "war" with Gallia was a front just so he can get access to the Valkyria site and gain enough knowledge/power to wipe out the Empire for revenge. Defeating Gallia/The Federation was never the goal, it was getting super nukes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EponymousMrYar posted:

Gallia's greatest weakness is it's size compared to the Federation and Empire, as well as having a good source of what they want (Ragnite.) Rather than do the smart thing and bring overwhelming force to bear, he instead brings a smaller force bolstered by Selvaria and his prototype Valkyria project, to a place where there's an extremely high probability that there are going to be more Valkyria and that they'd be pretty mad at him for invading them.

As Tae said though, Max is not really favoured in the Empire. He's still of royal blood, so he gets his own troops, but the Empire's real hordes are meant for the Federation. Hell, the only reason Selvaria's with him is because she loved him, and I don't think there's much that could stop a Valkyria once she sets her mind to something.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that was...okay. Liked Max's driven-mad-with-power stare, didn't get Faldio's unnecessary sacrifice but hey, at least our couple got a happy ending. Kinda weird naming your kid after your dead adopted sister, but okay.

Noticed you had two dudes dead, when did the second one bite it?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm always surprised at the many different ways you can finish missions in VC. I lamed this one out by taking out the towers and then dropping Isara Smoke on Max. This was followed by having Rosie apply flamethrower to the face until he teleported then doing the same thing in turn 2.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

I agree that Welkin says some pretty dumb bordering-on-hypocritical things in the latter half of the game but this isn't one of them. Gallia's greatest weakness is it's size compared to the Federation and Empire, as well as having a good source of what they want (Ragnite.) Rather than do the smart thing and bring overwhelming force to bear, he instead brings a smaller force bolstered by Selvaria and his prototype Valkyria project, to a place where there's an extremely high probability that there are going to be more Valkyria and that they'd be pretty mad at him for invading them.

Yeah, I don't buy that line of argument.

I have a hard time believing that Max did NOT bring overwhelming force. They conquered 75% of Gallia in what, a week? In fact, several things said indicate that the empire had numerical superiority. Hell, just before Gallia took back Ghirlandio, the report to Max said that the Gallian numbers APPROACH that of the Imperials.

Max's problem seemed to be more about not bothering to finish the job. And that's under the assumption that as soon as the empire invaded, Gallia's army poo poo itself completely and ran back to Randgriz to hide. (And if that's what happened, then why not just pin down and crush the Gallian forces? You cannot leave an intact enemy army on your flank and just cheerfully harvest their stuff.)

From what the game indicated, Selvaria wasn't even supposed to be used openly as a Valkyria. She was only revealed when Max risked capture in the desert, and only used once again in Naggiar, which was a winner-take-all battle. Nothing in the game indicates that her Valkyria powers were the lynchpin and key to the empire's conquest of the entire rest of the country. If Max entered with an inferior force and was counting on Selvaria's powers why wasn't she used?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

From what the game indicated, Selvaria wasn't even supposed to be used openly as a Valkyria. She was only revealed when Max risked capture in the desert, and only used once again in Naggiar, which was a winner-take-all battle. Nothing in the game indicates that her Valkyria powers were the lynchpin and key to the empire's conquest of the entire rest of the country. If Max entered with an inferior force and was counting on Selvaria's powers why wasn't she used?

Still, while that's probably not what Welkin is saying (as he isn't making much sense), ironically Maximillian probably would have won in Naggiar if he didn't use Selvaria, as he had superior numbers and generals smarter than Damon running things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Valkyrians lose power as they use it, my understanding is that Max would rather save her up for the Empire than Gallia. And he was winning for most of the war, outside of Welkin's group who did insane things to win because game plot.

If Welkin's squad didn't exist, the Empire would still have control of a key bridge, have their Radigirz mine/Concentration Camp, their Super tank, their betrayal inside House Randriz, the Princess kidnapped by the Federation, and other stuff. Bullshit farm tank and Valkyrian #2 was why Max lost in an otherwise very firm victory.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Yeah, I don't buy that line of argument.

I have a hard time believing that Max did NOT bring overwhelming force. They conquered 75% of Gallia in what, a week? In fact, several things said indicate that the empire had numerical superiority. Hell, just before Gallia took back Ghirlandio, the report to Max said that the Gallian numbers APPROACH that of the Imperials.

Max's problem seemed to be more about not bothering to finish the job. And that's under the assumption that as soon as the empire invaded, Gallia's army poo poo itself completely and ran back to Randgriz to hide. (And if that's what happened, then why not just pin down and crush the Gallian forces? You cannot leave an intact enemy army on your flank and just cheerfully harvest their stuff.)

When I mean overwhelming I mean 'Land War in Asia' overwhelming. Fortunately for him, General Damon/the Gallian Army was enough of an idiot for him to need far less than that to get as far as he did. Finishing the war is part of what I was getting at since rather than waiting until Gallia was pacified he risks his life and presents an opportunity at a high value target in order to check the Valkyria ruins, which causes Selvaria to reveal herself.

Her doing so causes two things: her using her powers more openly because the secret's out now so she might as well get as much psychological effect out of it in addition to her warfare powers, and Faldio going into 'arms race' thinking of counteracting her by getting a Valkyria on Gallia's side. His methods were hasty and poorly thought-out (much like Max being there in the first place) but they got results. So when it turns out that Alicia is a Valkyria, Max also goes into the same 'arms race' thinking and pushes his project forward even more, focusing on it to the detriment of the rest of the war effort.
Faldio and Max being in this 'Valkyria arms race' thinking makes his sacrificial redemption work out (though it's still pretty weak.) Rather than being 'this is to make up for what I've done!' I read it as 'I realize that Max and I aren't so different, sacrificing so much for the sake of bs anime magic powers. Farewell!'

Had Max waited, none of that would have happened or it would have happened late enough to not provide enough of kickback for Gallia to win.

I'm pretty sure part of Max's original plan was using Selvaria and his machine-Valkyria to finish off Gallia and provide a suitable political power boost in the Empire. That's just speculation on my part though.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
The invasion of Gallia had 2 main objectives:
1. Secure Gallia's rich ragnite deposites since those who have control over this resource have the upper hand.
2. Learn about the whereabouts of Valkof and secure it. As far as I know the Marmota was already being built once the invasion started and Maximilian and Selvaria knew about the Barious Temple and its secrets.

The point where Maximilian shot himself in the foot however was him visiting the Barious Temple. During that time the Gallians were already able to fight the imperials back and get some of their land back so they were also able to investigate the Barious Desert (they knew that Imperials where heading over there).
If Maximilian either waited until the Galians were defeated or went to the Barious Temple while the Gallians were pushed back all the way to Randgriz:
- he wouldn't have lost the Batomys (which in return would've basically secured his victory and he wouldn't have to rely on the Marmota and Selvaria)
- Faldio would've never realised that Alicia is a Valkyrur and thus the Gallians would've easily lost at Naggiar
- the Gallians would've never known that the Imperials have a Valkyria (not sure about this one since he might have used Selvaria at Naggiar but even then it would've been probably too late for the Gallians to know about her)

So to be honest, if Maximilian would've been either smarter or didn't rely on Selvaria/Valkof during the Gallian Invasion I really do think that the imperials would've won this war.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah that was...okay. Liked Max's driven-mad-with-power stare, didn't get Faldio's unnecessary sacrifice but hey, at least our couple got a happy ending. Kinda weird naming your kid after your dead adopted sister, but okay.

Noticed you had two dudes dead, when did the second one bite it?

I think I mentioned it during the briefing of the fight against the Marmota. I shot one of my engineers, who already unlocked his final personal potential, in the back to get another medal (kind of weird that you get rewarded for that)
I was one medal away from unlocking Audrey and I wanted to get her before the postgame.

CommissarMega posted:

As Tae said though, Max is not really favoured in the Empire. He's still of royal blood, so he gets his own troops, but the Empire's real hordes are meant for the Federation. Hell, the only reason Selvaria's with him is because she loved him, and I don't think there's much that could stop a Valkyria once she sets her mind to something.
Although I have to admit that I really don't like the VC Anime, they did a pretty good job at showing some more of Maximilian's backstory. There's one episode were you see what's going on back in the heartland of the imperials and it's pretty interesting.
Max is also a badass in the anime, he murdered a bunch of assassins with his trusty sword. One of the few well made episodes of the anime.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
That final post-credits cutscene was adorable, I found it cute that Welkin and Alicia named their kid after Isara, naming children after dead friends/relatives is a time honoured tradition in almost all applicable genres of fiction after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did Largo ever get to open a vegetable store, garden or farm with Eleanor or something similar? :3:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Poil posted:

Did Largo ever get to open a vegetable store, garden or farm with Eleanor or something similar? :3:

His endcard mentions he restores the family farm. One assumes he plants vegetables.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
The portable valkyrur device is pretty much the silliest weapon in a game full of silly weapons. "We can grant a soldier immense power... if he's already standing on top of our invincible landkreuzer... and if nobody wrecks the power lines... and if they don't bring a real Valkyria... so on the off chance that we get boarded, it might help, I guess?"

By in-game standards, the imperials would have done best if they'd not wasted time on big stupid tanks and just issued a Ruhm to everyone. Which is also a silly weapon, of course. The kind of person who could off-hand what is essentially an MG34 with great accuracy would look a lot less like Selvaria and a lot more like a bigger, meaner version of BJ Blaskowitz.*

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

David Corbett posted:

The portable valkyrur device is pretty much the silliest weapon in a game full of silly weapons. "We can grant a soldier immense power... if he's already standing on top of our invincible landkreuzer... and if nobody wrecks the power lines... and if they don't bring a real Valkyria... so on the off chance that we get boarded, it might help, I guess?"
If it has sufficient range it could work as a defensive weapon, at forts and such.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

David Corbett posted:

By in-game standards, the imperials would have done best if they'd not wasted time on big stupid tanks and just issued a Ruhm to everyone. Which is also a silly weapon, of course. The kind of person who could off-hand what is essentially an MG34 with great accuracy would look a lot less like Selvaria and a lot more like a bigger, meaner version of BJ Blaskowitz.*

By the second game the power supply fits on a truck, so they're a bit easier to deploy.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lazy Bear posted:

His endcard mentions he restores the family farm. One assumes he plants vegetables.

From the wiki: "Leaving military service after the war, Largo returned to his hometown to restore his family farm. After offering Eleanor a bouquet large enough to fill an ox cart, a gold ring and ten years' worth of love, the two finally marry. "

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

From the wiki: "Leaving military service after the war, Largo returned to his hometown to restore his family farm. After offering Eleanor a bouquet large enough to fill an ox cart, a gold ring and ten years' worth of love, the two finally marry. "
Aw, that's swell. :)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Argh I didn't figure out you could shoot the dumb little electric towers with stuff other than lances or tank shells. And there appear to be weird targeting issues where you aim right at Max at point blank range and nothing hits him for some reason. Still wouldn't hold up to 3 shocktroopers and a tank support-firing him to death in a single turn, though.

Ah well- I think the weird artificial Valkyria suit kinda makes sense when you consider you've already got a madman who strapped a gigantic laser to the top of a gigantic hovercraft. Of course he would have that laying around, it doesn't have to be practical!

What I'm saying is it's appropriately ridiculous.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
We could've built a 100 tanks instead of one Marmota :downs: (or 20 fortress crushing tanks)

I feel like the baddies deserve some end game stories.

The Marmota,
Of the 1500 strong crew only 400 deployed men in Randgriz and 27 crewmen survived the eventual blaze that claimed the landship, many that ran from the inferno survived with broken limbs jumping from the command tower, or survived a crossfire covering the deployment ramp from squads 5 and 8 and were arrested from amongst the bodies. The Marmota itself was eventually scrapped and converted into railway rail's.

Maximillian,
An eventual sweep of the ships burned out wreck revealed the remains of which is speculated to be General Maximillian and Commander Faldio still engaged in a struggle. The molten silver covered skeletal remains of the two were discussed at length about their political, historical and in some morbid way artistic value. The princess intervened in the matter deciding that Galias wounds were not yet mended, and stored the remains in the Randgriz mausoleum till a later date.

Radi Jaeger,
Defeated but impressed by Galia's legendary 7th Militia, having breathed new life into Radi's struggle against the empires occupation of his homeland. It's theorized Radi went rogue after the failed invasion of Galia and started a series of successful revolts inside the empire which lasted the better part of 2 years, after a string of defeats it's unknown whether Radi died in the charge of an Imperial armoured wing or is still at large somewhere within the empire.

Gregor,
After the death of General Gregor, the Galian government and queen unsure of what to do with the surviving Darcsens and many more coming off the train from empire, established a supply route towards the old camp which slowly grew into an industrious Darcsen city living separately from Galians in general, many remaining fearful the rest of their lives for "that day" when the empire might come to claim them. A statue was erected at the ravine that swallowed Berthold Gregor of his slayer Zaka, to this day at the anniversary of the camps liberation many Darcsens take the opportunity to spit into the river.

Selvaria Bles
After the destruction of Ghirlandaio a new fortress was commissioned with many miles of trenches leading to and from the fortress with deep tunnels and bunkers lining wider into the mountain. A 2 meter tall ceremonial lance was erected at the center of the crater after it had been filled mostly with concrete installations and earth, as a reminder to the terrible power of the Valkyrur war witches. Alicia Gunther was invited to speak at the opening of the fortress, but declined in favor of her husband.

Samuel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 30, 2015

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
First bonus episode out now!
Let's start off the bonus videos with the hardest class trial, Jann's fabulous lancer trial. It starts off as a fight against a dozen of tanks but due to all of the enemy base camps the enemy army evolves into a solid mixture of strong tanks and tons of annoying shocktroopers and scouts. Due to the swarm of reinforcments, using only lancers isn't a viable option so you do need atleast some good scouts or maybe a shocktrooper (depending on what weapons your using)

Another important part of this battle is the damage you can deal to the tanks: if you're able to one shot them (which you can only do if you use a lancer with the Theimer M20R and Ultra-Anti-Armor) then this mission is doable. If you have more M20R then the entire think basically turns into a joke.
Can't destroy the tanks in one shot? Well, then the entire mission gets 10 times harder. I tried doing it but I got overrun by the combined infantry and tank forces on turn 3 so I wouldn't dare to beat this mission without lvl 20 lancers and the Theimer M20R.
Our reward is some crappy anti-tank-lance and the rejection of Jann's love.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
After-Action Report: Ch. 18a – Marmota’s End

I spent a couple test runs seeing what would kill me. It turns out that leaving all the lancers and the anti-tank guns alive kills you.

I deployed Scouts Ramona and Alicia, Shocktroopers Rosie and Edy, Lancers Largo and Jann, Sniper Marina, and Engineer Nadine. The shocktroopers and scouts were mostly ineffective.

Turn 1:
I gave Largo a Defensive Boost order so he could make it to the ladder beside the gatling turret. There he killed all three Gatling turrets and climbed down, moving away from the ladder. I took Jann up the ladder and killed the Tank turret, also climbing down. I sent Marina to the SAME ladder and sniped a Sniper, a Lancer, and a Shocktrooper.

An enemy shocktrooper ran up from the lower left and shot Ramona (but didn’t collect her body). An enemy lancer came out of the Marmota and shot the Eidelweiss twice, nearly destroying its treads.

Turn 2:
I had Marina shoot the upper-right Lancer and the Shocktrooper on the deck of the Marmota. Marina shot the lancer (which would have otherwise killed the Eidelweiss). I had Nadine repair the Eidelweiss and refill all the units ammo. Jann shot the damaged plating to bring down the ramp up, and I ran him up two ladders to the deck near the turbines. I sent Alicia up that ramp to kill the Shocktrooper up there. I had Jann kill the nearest Radiator and moved him to near the second one. Largo finished out the turn shooting the remaining Anti-Tank cannon.

Turn 3:
I had Largo blow up the Anti-Tank cannon and join Jann on the upper deck. Jann shot the Radiator to disable the lance’s shield. The rest of the turn was spent shooting the Lance, and having Nadine go up and refill the lancer’s ammo (she also shot a Shocktrooper on her way).

Turn 4:
I blew up the Lance. A-Rank.

After-Action Report: Ch. 18b – Final Showdown

Not a difficult mission. I brought 4 lancers, 2 shocktroopers Alicia, and an engineer.

Turn 1: I gave the Shamrock an Aim Boost order and moved it up to cannon-snipe the far tower. I had Elysse and Largo kill the two near ones, then moved Jane, Lynn and Alicia up to shoot at Maxamillian.

Turn 2: I moved Hector up twice to blow up the new towers which was alight, then moved Jann and Elise up to take out another one. The Shocktroopers shot Max up some more, and I brought Karl up to repair the Shamrock.

Turn 3: Kinda like turn 2. Lynne went down, but I beat Max anyway with Rosie.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They could've at least pumped up the range and accuracy on that thing some more. If they were going for like a sniper lancer weapon then they should have compensated the decreased damage.

Also gaze upon this dude's works, ye mighty, and despair: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
Final bonus episode out now!
Time to check out the final piece of DLC we're still missing. Enter the Edy Detachment is actually just one short mission but due to all the extra lines of dialogue there's actually a reasonable amount of content available to you (still not worth buying the DLC on its own)
The mission itself can be a bit tricky, not because the enemies are strong or because you can easily mess up the entire map but because your Squad is hilariously bad. Susie can only throw grenades and provide coverfire due to humanitarian, Edy can die rather quickly due to panicky, Marina und Jann can trigger pollen allergy and take tons of damage (although both of them are still awesome) and Homer is an engineer and we all know how good those guys can be. The only really good character without any bad potentials is Lynn.

The mission itself is rather easy, avoid mortars, kill certain enemies and have your units face the correct directions (don't forget: you lose once an enemy enters your camp area. Once you figured out who needs to die quickly and where the enemies are spawning, you pretty much won the mission. Getting an A-Rank isn't necessary, though I do believe that that's pretty much the best ending.
If you want to see the other endings then click here You'll have to go through a couple of videos since there's not one video showing off all endings.

SSNeoman posted:

They could've at least pumped up the range and accuracy on that thing some more. If they were going for like a sniper lancer weapon then they should have compensated the decreased damage.

Also gaze upon this dude's works, ye mighty, and despair: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

uuuh, a LP covering the part of the trilogy everyone hates. Well count me in! Thanks for sharing that!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Not gonna lie, I about fell out of my chair when the giant 'FAIL!' in block letters floated by the screen. No idea why I found it so funny, but it hit me like a brick.

Well, it was quite a ride, thanks for taking us along.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Homers VA could've gotten a bit more lively during his performance.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Samuel posted:

Homers VA could've gotten a bit more lively during his performance.

Yeah, gonna have to agree that Homer's was the one English voice I heard that just felt so amazingly... forced. Also, it sounded like either a woman or a very young man trying desperately to sound like a man. Is... Is that supposed to be intentional?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, that was pretty anime, although it was a way of using the various characters' death sequences. :v:

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
There's actually one more report that gets unlocked in New Game +, but Irene doesn't sell it to you until you're most of the way through the game again. Since I have it unlocked already I recorded it real quick to save Apepresident the trouble of playing most of the game again for six minutes of minor cut scenes.

For Whom Destiny Unfolds

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spielmeister posted:

There's actually one more report that gets unlocked in New Game +, but Irene doesn't sell it to you until you're most of the way through the game again. Since I have it unlocked already I recorded it real quick to save Apepresident the trouble of playing most of the game again for six minutes of minor cut scenes.

For Whom Destiny Unfolds

wait really?

no poo poo, I've beat this game like 5 times and i never knew this existed

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Yeah, it's basically the only new thing in New Game + that doesn't unlock immediately, and there's no other reason to check the Writing on the Wall after the first playthrough. I only knew about it because I did a search on the Steam forums to look into why I didn't get the Gallian Front Commemorative achievement after I beat the game.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
What a scoop! :tipshat:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
After-Action Report: The Edy Detachment

Waaaaayy too much talking for so little gameplay.

My first attempt tried a more aggressive approach, but since the enemy gets reinforcements literally in the middle of thin air, that wasn’t going to work, so I just bunkered down mostly, sending Jann to kill a tank, and sending Susie all the way up top to kill the Sniper – JUST so no one would turn away from the road to counter-fire on the enemy sniper, letting a loving scout walk into camp.

I beat this in 5 turns for a B-Rank. Apparently you actually have to send Edy and Jann moving and kill the enemy tank on Turn 3 if you want to stand a chance of making it to the exit on Turn 4.

This is another one where you have to know what's going to happen in advance to get an A-Rank. Enemies will appear from thin air in the middle of the map, which encourages you to stay in your safe zone, but if you do that, then there's not enough time to get Edy to the exit on Turn 4. Your units counter-fire can really screw you for enemies charging into your base. If the wrong one of your units turns around, it's game over.

Lynn is great because "Hard Worker" means she can get a second action, so she can attack twice or attack and heal in one turn. I did use Susie offensively, because she is not INCAPABLE of shooting people, Humanitarian only has a chance of going off, it's not a guarantee. Still, if you have a choice about what scouts to use, don't use her, and if you do, save first.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can see the idea behind this mission. I mean, I'd like a little more personalized banter, complete if possible with turn-by-turn buffs SRW style. But that does kind of fly in the face of the customizable squad thing they've got going here.

• Locked thread