Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I just want to say that this is a good thread and I'm enjoying it! The game always looked interesting but I can't be bothered to play games where it seems like you can miss out on a ton of stuff without a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

So are Darcsen the AnimeJews in this game? Or a less direct analogue yet still minority-that-people-poo poo-on.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

You are familiar there was a big war slightly less than 30 years before WW2, right Gridlocked? Because theme-wise Valkyria Chronicles is drawing most of its setting details FROM THE SITUATION SURROUNDING WWI. The breakout of war between the Alliance and the Federation is also reminiscent of the tensions surrounding the Great War(no, not the assassination obviously, that was just the catalyst. Even without it there would likely have been a war in the next few years). Just because there are Germanic elements does not mean there is much Nazi inspiration, because the EEIA is drawing its themes from loving IMPERIAL GERMANY AND IMPERIAL RUSSIA. Amazingly, this is about the same area the Empire occupies in not-Europe as well.

The "Well the Third Reich invaded a small neighboring country for reasons" doesn't work either, because, shockingly, the Low Countries were invaded during WWI as well. Darcsens, while somewhat similar to Jews, are at the same time in a different situation with actual historical events behind why they're disliked; by a significant portion of the populace, Empire or no, if you may notice.

While Japan does seem to draw from Nazi Germany for influences a decent bit, related to any number of reasons, continually trying to say this game is particularly reminiscent of that is ridiculous. There's exactly one story point I'm aware of that draws upon something related to the Third Reich, while everything else hearkens back to a political and national situation incredibly removed from that.

Haha what the gently caress are you talking about, guess what this game is about WWII sorry (expressly the Second Europan war).

This game even has AnimeJews with NotYarmulkes that are held responsible for the death of NotJesus or whatever the Calamity is.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Crembo posted:

Audio balance has considerably improved, thank you!

I'd forgotten how hilarious Jann's voice quotes are. And just how many unique voice quotes and combinations exist in the game, too. Loving the playthrough thus far, I always enjoy the more informative LPs better.

Jann is the most fabulous Lancer, it's amazing.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I was not expecting that nerd Engineer to turn out to be such a badass tank-assaulting grenade-chucking commando in this stage, good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Poil posted:

Selvaria. :smith: :patriot:

But at least her sacrifice was not in vain, she took out one of the villains.

Yeah I mean besides her slightly over-jiggly design she was pretty cool and straightforward.

• Locked thread