Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this is a very good game and while i can't watch the video now, i'm going to post in this thread anyway

Mr. Highway posted:

I really enjoyed this game. I bought it on a lark and ended up being really immersed in it. Even though this is one of the games were playing it the way it wants you to is apparently the incorrect way. I would plot out missions, carefully plan so that none of my characters were put in harm's way, make sure that my defenses were solid, and end up getting a horrible score. Still, despite that and some of the frustration of later missions, I still enjoyed this game.

improving the score system would have been a good thing, but levels do surprisingly little so you can mostly ignore what score you get and just keep playing anyway. except for maybe grinding a little to get over the level 11 elite hump

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if the aces are large enough missables to deter you from playing the game i honestly don't know how you can even play video games

like two of them are hidden in really dumb places, the rest are easy to find and it doesn't even matter anyway since ace drops suck

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They're not really jewish culturally, but yeah they're the oppresed minority to complete the wwII analog

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This game looks great at 60FPS, but I heard there was a bug with rapid-fire weapons like the Assault's gun or a tank's machinegun. Their damage was tied to how many frames took place during their attack, giving them a ton more damage at 60FPS rather than 30. Is that true?

yeah

honestly it's probably an improvement balance wise

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm not sure why he was quite that fervent about it, but it definitely takes some elements from WWI as well, it's not a 1-1 WWII analog

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hmmm, a superweapon in a world war II analog

what could it mean, what could it mean...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

isara's affection for welkin is never anything but familial, but pretty much

also don't forget Literally Vyse From Skies of Arcadia

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

girls und panzer is the best

i'm not sure if that's what people are referencing specifically but it's worth saying

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you can blow up the track no matter where the train is, unless over multiple playthroughs i've always gotten lucky and blown it up at the right time

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

marberry is probably one of my favorite maps. the time limit is exceedingly generous so you can handle things at a reasonable pace, and the map gimmick is fun.

also smoke rounds are super good, especially if you play like I do and try to get A ranks without orders while capturing every base and killing most of the enemy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bruhl is probably my least favorite mission in the game. i'm not 100% sure, but in my experience it's the only map in the game that's impossible to A rank without using cheese tactics like loading a scout up with orders and having them run across the map, since you only have a single turn for the A rank.

It should really be two turns, if you play well you can kill the ace, all the enemy leader types and capture the base in two turns.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hey, the Shamrock got used, hooray! I kinda like it. You rarely see it used, so I was hoping there was some pro tier secret to turn it into the Scout of the tank world, necessary to cheese a ton of A ranks, but no such luck.

the shamrock is good

the flamethrower will completely obliterate wide swathes of infantry while taking no damage

it's still slow enough that it's hard to ever use, but it's useful in some of the DLC

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in 3 you finally a valkyria you can actually use which is cool

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah

i don't want to get drawn into an argument about writing but the female units are generally better

alicia is the best scout, lynn the best shocktrooper, audrey the best lancer, marina the best sniper and no one uses engineers

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think the game is a lot better if you don't use orders, pretend welkin is blazing up in the tank while you fight or something

scouts are still good but they can't take down tanks and have trouble with dense enemy groups since you can't pump their defense or offense, so you actually need to use lancers and shocktroopers. if you play well you can still get A ranks on most missions like this (loving bruhl and it's one turn limit)

engineers remain useless though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fortunately anime is good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

faldio killing ol max is meant as a sort of redemptive act for all the bad poo poo he did, not necessarily him being a noble martyr

it probably would have worked a lot better if they'd rewritten it somewhat so him taking out max and himself at the same time seemed far more necessary then it does now though, not going to deny that

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nothing welkin says makes him a hypocrite, he had nothing to do with alicia awakening (and was actually not happy about it!) and she would have destroyed the marmota, not just damage it slightly if he hadn't stopped her. everything he does is consistent with his stated beliefs

you can argue that he's wrong, since he kinda is, but his point is more of a moral one than a practical one anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spielmeister posted:

There's actually one more report that gets unlocked in New Game +, but Irene doesn't sell it to you until you're most of the way through the game again. Since I have it unlocked already I recorded it real quick to save Apepresident the trouble of playing most of the game again for six minutes of minor cut scenes.

For Whom Destiny Unfolds

wait really?

no poo poo, I've beat this game like 5 times and i never knew this existed

• Locked thread