Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Isara pulls double duty in tank driving and assisting with birth. Also hi racist soldier voiced by Steve Blum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Vyse comes from Skies of Arcadia, released by Sega on the Dreamcast and later rereleased on the Gamecube

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I saw everything else coming, but that pig was a curveball for me.

McKilligan posted:

Let's see, you've got General Skullpauldron, General Schoolgirl-face-in-a-tits-extruding-uniform, and the archangel Gabriel all mumbling about how these lowly rabble need a good boot on their neck. The only remotely subtle dude is the guy who looks like an evil bank clerk. I was kind of hoping for a little more 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' and a little less 'Power Rangers villains'. To it's credit though, Welks does have a certain 'Yang WenLi'-ness about him.

You didn't see what they did with the character designs for the requisite social network game. Especially Selvaria.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Jesus Christ. I just GIS'd it, that poo poo is NWS.

Yeah that's Japanese social network games for you. It's basically there to grab as much money from nerds before people realize what a lovely deal they're getting.

VC in general is a story about Sega stepping on a rake over and over. From what Sheep (from his Tokimemo LP) and the VC thread says apparently VC1 didn't sell well in Japan. it was actually mildly popular in the US, though both countries actually have pretty strong fandoms, even if they're not that big. Well that just wasn't good enough for Sega, so come VC2 they went apeshit. Appeal to a wider JP audience! VC2 now has a high school setting! There are more idols! There are more cutesy characters! Love us! LOVE US!
They also released it on the PSP Vita which made the maps become smaller.
The net result was that the US fandom peaced out, they signed up for anime WW2 tactics games not the latest Idiot Factory romp. And who the gently caress has a Vita around here anyway?
The JP audience STILL didn't give a poo poo.
VC2 was so lackluster that they didn't even bother translating VC3 into English (that was literally the reason Sega gave). Instead they opted to squeeze as much money from the JP audience as possible with that social network game.
So fans did what Segadon't and released an English translation in 2013.

So as you can see, video game publishers are not people. They are :downs: homunculi who live in vacuum-sealed rooms and subsist on large amounts of money.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Would giving Rosie an Evasion Order help her dodge those lancer rounds?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man those personal potentials were pretty bad. Like they took a few okay units and then basically gimped them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apepresident posted:

The ensuing cutscenes could've been taken directly from an anti-war ad. It's also probably the first and only time in the game that the imperials are portrayed more like regular human beings rather than as racist mass murderers.

Lots of games have the same problem. I think part of it is the dissonance between "Okay so now I run my guys past these searchlights, kill the two enemies behind this rock, hide from the counterattack and then run to the end" and "those people you just killed during your turn had families". I know war is pretty much like this too, part of soldier training is to dehumanize the enemy combatants but it doesn't carry over very well in games.

I suppose here it was intentional because humanizing the Imperials would mean humanizing the Nazi analogue.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think people mean this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/263400/

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That wasn't a cinnamon roll, game :colbert:

I liked how the enemy phase logos were styled with the federation emblems and colours instead of the usual Imperial ones.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MoadDib posted:

Never change, Welkin. :allears:

He's just so sincere when he says poo poo like this :allears:

EDIT: Also apparently the actual effect of Klutz is that sometimes the unit forgets to "reload" their grenades. I would never use a character who would forget to reload their magazine jesus.

EDIT 2: "Masochist" :stare:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are all of the weapons you get from the DLCs as op as the ZM Kr8? Is it possible to just go through the DLCs and then never drop ducats on upgrades ever again?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess this is the best way for people to portray snipers in entertainment. Real life snipers probably have a very boring job.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:catstare:

That was an interesting challenge, but that character intro was out there. Not the worst I've seen, but definitely out of character for this game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Yes my leader who I obey and worship. I will follow you for you saved me from a facility where I was experimented on. I never knew my parents and I had no friends, but you gave me a purpose. But you know all that."
"...I'm happy that you're happy?"

I hate this sort of stilted exposition. It's a Star Wars text crawl in dialogue form.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apepresident posted:

Well, isn't that like a pretty japanese/anime thing? I mean there are tons of shows where this stuff is commonly used (especially in the middle of fighting scenes).
It's still a horrible way of story telling but I guess they need to tell you some of her backstory in some way or another.

Ugh those are even worse yeah. There are still better ways to give backstory. She could have talked about it with Jaegar, seeing as they are both dependent on Maximilian for one reason or another.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

During that solemn scene I thought to myself "wouldn't it be funny if he started flipping out about veggies? Hahaha man tha-" and then he went and did that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What the gently caress were those mortars even aiming for?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo they even added a mushroom cloud effect too! That was well done. I liked that arena, that seemed to be the most detail-intensive level by far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat. 0 exp and 0 duckets? That's harsh. I'm guessing that to clear this with an A rank you need to scout rush with Selvaria?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually hoped Valkyria would randomly give Alicia that lance and shield for the remainder of her turn. That would be a good trade off: you get a powerful instant kill weapon, but you're slow and at low health. So you need to decide whether to press on or flee.

Just a dumb status up is boring.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Not sure how turning this story into Love Hina is going to make me sympathetic to the Imperials. I get that they needed to make Sylvaria sympathetic to the audience, sort of how Glados had to be made sympathetic in Portal 2, but this is really the wrong way to go about it. Just show that she's a competent, if strict, military commander who cares about her men deep down. Making her constantly vulnerable just feels off. I mean we're talking about a person who blew herself up for her ideals. She's not the sort of person who blushes about cooking.
selvaria-chan so kawaii

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even a rebel like this dude would work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_von_Hammerstein-Equord

Here's a general who hated Hitler and the Nazi regime, making fairly clear threats for his murder. And yet he personally enjoyed slacking off and going hunting, despite being an apparently skilled general.
He's the one many attribute this quote to:

quote:

I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and diligent -- their place is the General Staff. The next lot are stupid and lazy -- they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent -- he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief

Do note that he refers to himself when talking about the third group. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

my life is pain

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Poil posted:

The empire sure loves their ridiculously impractical and over engineered garbage.

Just as the real nazis did :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Neige posted:

It gets more anime worse. The final boss is downright anime cringeworthy.

...like how? Is it a giant Hitler robot that uses gas attacks or something? Or is it like some never-before-seen naked girl who is Selvaria's sister? "Anime" is a broad criticism.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing the gun is UNKNOWN because it doesn't have appropriate art image attached to it. I bet if you tried to mod in guns into the game without giving them a menu icon, that's what the game probably defaults it too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, I expect Jaegar moved his tank out of the way cause the AI was expecting you to use your Eidelweiss to take potshots at him.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean it's not completely out of the question. The AK47 was created by a soldier who wanted a better infantry weapon for his fellow countrymen. So together with an engineer (who later became his wife), he became the inventor of the single most popular assault rifle in the world.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love what smarmy dicks Borg and Maximilian are :allears:

Holy poo poo what cyber Maximillian :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that was...okay. Liked Max's driven-mad-with-power stare, didn't get Faldio's unnecessary sacrifice but hey, at least our couple got a happy ending. Kinda weird naming your kid after your dead adopted sister, but okay.

Noticed you had two dudes dead, when did the second one bite it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They could've at least pumped up the range and accuracy on that thing some more. If they were going for like a sniper lancer weapon then they should have compensated the decreased damage.

Also gaze upon this dude's works, ye mighty, and despair: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread