Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I guess? I didn't know it was gone

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-wont-make-a-full-comeback-staff-revolt-150127/

seems like it's going to be a huge honeypot for idiots

personally I buy all my digital content so this is greek to me

edit: I forgot to link: THE PIRATE BAY

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
who cares

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
OP:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

either

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
It doesn't even look like he's saying that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht9lU-mgrEo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

i would love to hear you explain why

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

gary oldmans diary posted:

i would love to hear you explain why

admittedly I don't know anything about the internet, but isn't it possible that if they seized the servers they can plant some poo poo in the new ones? upload malware or something? I've no idea how it's back or how it all works actually, everything I I know about computers I learned from the movie Hackers lol

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Or they can look at the list of IP's in the peers list on any given popular torrent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No matter how many servers or sites you shut down there's always going to be new ones within the week.

Filesharing uh, finds a way.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
I want to know where the spin off will be. I'm too dumb to get on a private tracker or use usenet :saddowns:

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
usenet still exists?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
how do people who know what they're doing steal/share files predominantly these days? private tracker still or is it really something like usenet?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

how do people who know what they're doing steal/share files predominantly these days? private tracker still or is it really something like usenet?

both, yea

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
what about like IRC

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

thathonkey posted:

what about like IRC
quit snooping my botnet bro

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Don Tacorleone posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this part but

quote:

There is one quite significant change though. The Pirate Bay staff can no longer access the moderation panel.

Earlier this week TPB staff already told us that they would be locked out of the reborn site. This kind of streamlining would make the site easier to manage and the risk of being brought down for a third time.

However, these planned “optimizations” caused mutiny among the site’s original staff members.

WTC-SWE, one of the lead admins of The Pirate Bay, told us that they are launching their own version of the Pirate Bay, which they believe will be the real one.

These “former” staff members will also relaunch the official Suprbay forums. Interestingly, Thepiratebay.se is no longer listing Suprbay in its links section.

To make the matter even more confusing, Pirate Bay’s downtime spurred the development of various spin-offs, all of which have steady userbases of their own. Isohunt.to’s OldPirateBay.org is currently the largest, with millions of visitors per day and the number one spot for the search term Pirate Bay in Google.

It will be interesting to see if thepiratebay.se can reclaim these visitors during the months to come.

Update: A former TPB staffer informed TF that the moderation interface is indeed gone.

.. I think you're probably right.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol internet drama

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

can you even arrest the people who pirate stuff at this point considering that's like half the population

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Minorkos posted:

can you even arrest the people who pirate stuff at this point considering that's like half the population

it's like a weed where they bust someone random joe every once in a while just to remind people it's illegal

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Minorkos posted:

the half with electricity

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pirate Bay mirrors Wikipedia in that both have admins who get paid nothing but get pissy when they can't dickwave over how much content they've uploaded

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

old dog child posted:

it's like a weed where they bust someone random joe every once in a while just to remind people it's illegal

They wouldn't do it randomly, they'll ask the isp for a list of the sites accessed by that same IP address. If there's anything leftist, activist, or about social justice in there then they move forward with it. Well, that's how I'd do it.

Oh and you pull up their ID once you know their identity. If they're white don't bother with a proper bust, just send a cease and desist. Again, pretty much just like weed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

IronClaymore posted:

They wouldn't do it randomly, they'll ask the isp for a list of the sites accessed by that same IP address. If there's anything leftist, activist, or about social justice in there then they move forward with it. Well, that's how I'd do it.

Oh and you pull up their ID once you know their identity. If they're white don't bother with a proper bust, just send a cease and desist. Again, pretty much just like weed.

Yea, my experience as a mostly white person is with the "cease and desist" part. Being white rules but this isn't the thread to brag about that probably

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

where da moviez at

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i love to pirate a digital thing

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

gggiiimmmppp posted:

where da moviez at

your local public library :)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dont pay for music because musicians make poo poo music when they get money and success. i want my fav bands to struggle and despair

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

i love to pirate a digital thing

same

I'd rather pay usenet access fees or tracker donations or seedbox payments than pay the same amount of money to watch a thing legitimately

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ive used public torrents since torrents came out and have never gotten an isp warning or a virus so~~

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

same, just saying hypothetically

tpb going down along with openbittorrent tracker hosed me up but its still workable

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What would happen if some big artist like Taylor Swift decided to combat piracy by selling preorders and saying "if I don't get 1 million preorders, I don't release the album"?

That would seem fair in my mind

Same thing with movies - the studios can sell tickets online and have a quota, and if the quota's not reached, they don't put it out

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

they would have to collect that money before any work was done

then even more of the production costs would be spent on hookers and blow and it'd never get released anyway

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
just curious those of you who have gotten a cease & desist does that go on your record in some sort of way or is it just like a fire and forget deterrent?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

What would happen if some big artist like Taylor Swift decided to combat piracy by selling preorders and saying "if I don't get 1 million preorders, I don't release the album"?

That would seem fair in my mind

Same thing with movies - the studios can sell tickets online and have a quota, and if the quota's not reached, they don't put it out

That's About as stupid as asking users to pay before reading a web forum

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

That's About as stupid as asking users to pay before reading a web forum

yeah no way that's going to happen. nobody is that stupid.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

thathonkey posted:

just curious those of you who have gotten a cease & desist does that go on your record in some sort of way or is it just like a fire and forget deterrent?

iirc they just send you warnings and dont really do anything. unless you are a major uploader or something the days of getting sued are over

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the last cease and desist i got was for downloading a cam of goldmember from gnutella in 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

thathonkey posted:

my dad and older brother both received multiple warnings (over several years) but nothing ever happened as long as they deleted whatever and chilled out on the downloading for a while. i think it's related to both of them having security clearances and also working for the government. or maybe they're retards and consistently pick bad links.

• Locked thread