Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

old dog child posted:

my dad and older brother both received multiple warnings (over several years) but nothing ever happened as long as they deleted whatever and chilled out on the downloading for a while. i think it's related to both of them having security clearances and also working for the government. or maybe they're retards and consistently pick bad links.

lol if you get a cease and desist dont delete the files. your isp cant tell whats on your drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

TEAYCHES posted:

lol if you get a cease and desist dont delete the files. your isp cant tell whats on your drive

oh idk, i've never had it happen to me. that's just what my family said they had to do.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I only download bad movies. That way everyone wins.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

comcast should force a goto meeting session on infringing customers and supervise the deletion of the offending file and the emptying of the recycle bin

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the letter says to, but there's no way for them to know

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

I only download bad movies. That way everyone wins.

"Man sentenced to 20 years in prison for downloading and sharing Caddyshack 2"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

a comcast service rep comes to your house and checks all your external drives and sticks his hand in your anus for memory sticks

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone just suggested to me that the new Pirate Bay might be a government honeypot...which would be amazing

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I don't think we know who is hosting it, which makes me think it could be a honeypot.

But you shouldn't be using public torrent sites anyway. Or torrents at all imo. Plenty of safer ways to get your :filez:

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Someone just suggested to me that the new Pirate Bay might be a government honeypot...which would be amazing

it totally is

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Since when was posting reddit gif memes acceptable? :getout:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
It's not like you knew who was hosting it before so why would not knowing now matter? Tin foil hats make yall stupid

There's several mirror sites that are going to claim to be TPB but I don't really give a poo poo who is who until someone gets at least a significant portion of the content back online. Losing TPB was a gigantic blow considering there's no other site even close to that level of content.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

ZombieParts posted:

It's not like you knew who was hosting it before so why would not knowing now matter? Tin foil hats make yall stupid

There's several mirror sites that are going to claim to be TPB but I don't really give a poo poo who is who until someone gets at least a significant portion of the content back online. Losing TPB was a gigantic blow considering there's no other site even close to that level of content.

Last time the servers were hosted by the Swedish Pirate Party, which was supposed to grant them immunity to raids.

Loosing TPB isn't a big deal, because all of the sites aggregate torrents from each other. No content has been lost, because all of these public trackers have the exact same torrents.

Helpimscared fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 1, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
your shits all retarded

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

IronClaymore posted:

They wouldn't do it randomly, they'll ask the isp for a list of the sites accessed by that same IP address. If there's anything leftist, activist, or about social justice in there then they move forward with it. Well, that's how I'd do it.

Oh and you pull up their ID once you know their identity. If they're white don't bother with a proper bust, just send a cease and desist. Again, pretty much just like weed.

lol if you think government isn't pushing leftist poo poo

yeah I'm sure our government loves libertarianism or right wing full freedoms(for the cishetwhite master race, ofc) instead of thought policing/censorship/privilege checking

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Akumos posted:

yeah I'm sure our government loves libertarianism or right wing full freedoms(for the cishetwhite master race, ofc) instead of thought policing/censorship/privilege checking

actually leftism is good and u are wrong

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Akumos posted:

lmao retard spotted

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

All these problems stemming from decades of right wing and centrist horseshit is the fault of leftism.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

a real jerk posted:

actually leftism is good and u are wrong

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

hemophilia posted:

All these problems stemming from decades of right wing and centrist horseshit is the fault of leftism.

obama is literally a leftist feminist, so whatever bullshit happens atm it's under feminist rule

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
My girl friend got a cease and desist from HBO for downloading girls. Now she's convinced she's going to jail :shrug:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

EugeneJ posted:

"Man sentenced to 20 years in prison for downloading and sharing Caddyshack 2"

Truly the correct punishment for sharing caddyshack 2 upon the world.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

that huge penis looks really bored

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Im reporting everyone itt to the fbi

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

until there's some magic way to watch bob's burgers online the pirate bay will have a place in my heart.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Zig-Zag posted:

for downloading girls

Here's your first problem

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

EugeneJ posted:

What would happen if some big artist like Taylor Swift decided to combat piracy by selling preorders and saying "if I don't get 1 million preorders, I don't release the album"?

That would seem fair in my mind

Same thing with movies - the studios can sell tickets online and have a quota, and if the quota's not reached, they don't put it out

Taylor Swift's studio accidentally released 8 seconds of white noise on her iTunes and it sold like a million copies for $1.30 each why do people still pretend the big studios don't make like a gazillion dollars constantly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
overcharging for music for years and now no one wants to pay $25 for an album with 2 songs they want on it

woe is the music industry whatever will those rich white people do

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Taylor Swift's studio accidentally released 8 seconds of white noise on her iTunes and it sold like a million copies for $1.30 each why do people still pretend the big studios don't make like a gazillion dollars constantly.

that was a mistake? i thought it was just some brilliant thing she did.

too hopeful again

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember the last time I wanted to hear a specific song and couldn't find it on youtube in under 10 seconds

e. here is an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHkjee64ezM
why even bother with an mp3?

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 1, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Does this mean I can download Game of Thrones seasons 1-4 without getting DMC warnings from Comcast?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hexel posted:

Does this mean I can download Game of Thrones seasons 1-4 without getting DMC warnings from Comcast?

haha comcast actually does that poo poo? drat
I've never heard a peep from Time Warner

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hexel posted:

the basement is your oyster

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i get lovely speeds but no one ever sends a letter about my illegal stuff so maybe that's fair.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i just recommend everyone use the bare minimum of protection even though we all know rawdogging feels way better

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

old dog child posted:

Yea, my experience as a mostly white person is with the "cease and desist" part. Being white rules but this isn't the thread to brag about that probably

No one gives a poo poo if you are white on the internet.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I still use kazaa torrents are for suckers

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Broenheim posted:

Im teleporting everyone itt to the fbi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!