Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

precision posted:

Mmm yes Max is "friendzoning" Warren, clearly there is no such thing as a girl with low self esteem who doesn't recognize when a guy is into her.

Nah she totally knows and just doesn't want to hurt his feelings, I'm guessing there'll eventually be an option to tell him you don't like him, but till then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZWspd8hJU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

lol fat angry white nerds in their basements! Autism XD

What do you mean this is a thread about a video game?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Ekusukariba posted:

Nah she totally knows and just doesn't want to hurt his feelings, I'm guessing there'll eventually be an option to tell him you don't like him, but till then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZWspd8hJU

Top comment on that video is golden.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I want Max to get together with Warren and watch Cannibal Holocaust like Jackie and Jenny in The Darkness

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Unfortunately, this game has unfairly attracted the ire of various unsavory internet types. I would suggest staying clear of communities like Reddit or the Steam forums and discussing the game on its own merits. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rizuhbull posted:

It is usually somewhat important to discuss the reaction of the audience to art. This is a thread about a video game, but do threads about films only discuss cinematography and acting while totally disregarding plot? Is there no place in a thread about Django Unchained for discussion about race relations?

I know I am replying to a low effort and obvious troll, but there are people who legitimately say things like "it's a video game, lol".

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Rush_shirt posted:

Unfortunately, this game has unfairly attracted the ire of various unsavory internet types. I would suggest staying clear of communities like Reddit or the Steam forums and discussing the game on its own merits. :)

Its annoying since most of the people bashing the game have obviously never played it and are just complaining for the sake of complaining, like calling it a social justice game, I didn't see anything that was close to it, but anyways on topic with the game, does anyone know where's this bird i apparently missed is?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rush_shirt posted:

No, I would suggest diving into the depths of Reddit to mock fat neckbearded autists as per the whole point of the SA forums

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

Its annoying since most of the people bashing the game have obviously never played it and are just complaining for the sake of complaining, like calling it a social justice game

I actually found out about the game through a couple people I play tabletop games with that get most of their news through places like 8chan. Even before the game came out there was a lot of "I bet anyone who dislikes this game will be labeled a misogynists by SJWs," and once it was released the first question I got asked after I mentioned that I played it was "is it mostly full of SJW poo poo?"

Also to answer your question: Chloe's parents' room on the window sill

Maleficent
May 26, 2014

rizuhbull posted:

hit a little too close to home there bud?

Maleficent
May 26, 2014

precision posted:

It is usually somewhat important to discuss the reaction of the audience to art. This is a thread about a video game, but do threads about films only discuss cinematography and acting while totally disregarding plot? Is there no place in a thread about Django Unchained for discussion about race relations?

I know I am replying to a low effort and obvious troll, but there are people who legitimately say things like "it's a video game, lol".
games should be taken SERIOUSLY as an ART FORM just like movies and literature roger ebert was WRONG
*sees unfavorable critique of duke nukem*
ugh guys they're just VIDEO GAMES, stop taking them so seriously you sjw idiot fuckers!!

icantfindaname posted:

No, I would suggest diving into the depths of Reddit to mock fat neckbearded autists as per the whole point of the SA forums
sa is largely inhabited by the same types of people as indicated by the last like year of funnyforum pilgrimage and all non-whitenoise discussion (see also: anything related to minorities) being banned from pretty much every subforum

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Maleficent posted:

games should be taken SERIOUSLY as an ART FORM just like movies and literature roger ebert was WRONG
*sees unfavorable critique of duke nukem*
ugh guys they're just VIDEO GAMES, stop taking them so seriously you sjw idiot fuckers!!

Some games like some films are intended to be more than just light entertainment and should be considered on that basis? Is this really such a controversial statement?

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
yes, apparently

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Maleficent posted:

sa is largely inhabited by the same types of people as indicated by the last like year of funnyforum pilgrimage and all non-whitenoise discussion (see also: anything related to minorities) being banned from pretty much every subforum

:yikes:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I just finished the first episode and have some random speculation for the storyline

If David is able to get his camera's installed he'll be able to catch Max's time rewind thing on camera

I can't tell if Nathan Prescott had something to do with Amanda's being missing . He seems like too obvious a villain and not fully in control of himself

Those said I also have a few questions:

Why was David harassing Kate ? Was it something meaningful or just him being a dick?

Is it just me or did Warren come off as really pitiful and somewhat clingy?

Any clues on what's making Kate so sad ? (Besides her general unpopularity)

Did anyone else take the blame for the weed in Chloe's room?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Any clues on what's making Kate so sad ? (Besides her general unpopularity)

In the first scene, read the paper that gets thrown at her

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nckdictator posted:

Did anyone else take the blame for the weed in Chloe's room?

I did, after I saw what happened to Chloe if you don't and rewound time to fix it. :smith: I'd rather put my scholarship on the line (I'm probably already hosed for "telling tall tales" about Prescott to the principal) than stand by and watch my best friend get punched in the face by her stepfather.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Man the lip-syncing in this game is horrible. Guess it's just one of those things I take for granted these days and it's jarring when it's so off.

But whatever, I liked the game. I'm always down for games where you can just wander around and look at stuff. As with things like Gone Home I think it's amusing that people can get so mad over something so hilariously benign just because it's not their particular cup of tea yet got good ratings.

Also; pretty glad that DONTNOD is still around. Remember Me was flawed as gently caress but it was still pretty cool with its setting and general concept.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 3, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nckdictator posted:

Why was David harassing Kate ? Was it something meaningful or just him being a dick?
Also there is definitely something going on with Kate beyond the high school rumors, some Twin Peaks level stuff. It was mentioned already, but David is totally going to turn out to be a better guy than they're setting him up to be. Look at all the stereotypical broad strokes they're painting him with, it's almost comical; he has a bad haircut and is yelling at someone the very first time you see him, then you find out he's a gun nut, a hunter, and a prepper. But there are also smaller hints scattered around that he's not a completely terrible guy, and the family is having money problems. If you listen to the answering machine message in their house, he sounds genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way, and I bet it ties in to his obsession with surveilling everything.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also there is definitely something going on with Kate beyond the high school rumors, some Twin Peaks level stuff. It was mentioned already, but David is totally going to turn out to be a better guy than they're setting him up to be. Look at all the stereotypical broad strokes they're painting him with, it's almost comical; he has a bad haircut and is yelling at someone the very first time you see him, then you find out he's a gun nut, a hunter, and a prepper. But there are also smaller hints scattered around that he's not a completely terrible guy, and the family is having money problems. If you listen to the answering machine message in their house, he sounds genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way, and I bet it ties in to his obsession with surveilling everything.

This is so stupid. He's filming his family members without their knowledge or permission, taking weird pictures of teenage girls at his workplace, and he's physically abusing Chloe! Yeah, I'm sure he's really genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way when he's slapping her in the face. It's for her own good!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah no it's pretty blindingly obvious he's supposed to be a well meaning if not all that bright guy just doing what he can to protect his family. I agree it's lovely but I'm talking about the writers' intentions. He clearly knows enough about the Twin Peaks stuff but not enough to understand it

It also makes me think they're going to go in that direction with everyone else including the jocks and Victoria, what with how heavily stereotyped the rest of the high school is along with the dad. The choices like writing on the RV window and such will probably affect the final outcome by shaming you for being an rear end in a top hat as it reveals everyone else was just acting with the best intentions the whole time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 3, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rincewind posted:

This is so stupid. He's filming his family members without their knowledge or permission, taking weird pictures of teenage girls at his workplace, and he's physically abusing Chloe! Yeah, I'm sure he's really genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way when he's slapping her in the face. It's for her own good!

...he didn't say it was okay and "for her own good" that he did that, he was saying David probably has actual good reasons for being as crazy paranoid he is being. He's also a huge dick. I don't think RightClickSaveAs was justifying child abuse

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rincewind posted:

Not what I was saying at all, just that there is more to it than that. He's scared about something, and the way he handles it is to double down on the authoritarianism, not being smart enough to know how to handle it another way, or to see that he's doing more harm than good. He even calls her soldier at one point which was funny and probably not the best writing. The subtext though is he thinks he's protecting his family from whatever is going on, that's what the photos and cameras are all about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Not what I was saying at all, just that there is more to it than that. He's scared about something, and the way he handles it is to double down on the authoritarianism, not being smart enough to know how to handle it another way, or to see that he's doing more harm than good. He even calls her soldier at one point which was funny and probably not the best writing. The subtext though is he thinks he's protecting his family from whatever is going on, that's what the photos and cameras are all about.

I basically agree and I think we'll get a much better idea of the writers' intentions when we meet Chloe's mom (which will almost certainly be next episode, and we already saw her in the closing montage).

One thing I haven't seen speculated on yet - I think there might be something going on with the guy, I forget his name, who has the "super amazing" portfolio you can look at that's full of Rachel pictures, you see him again in the closing montage right before the hand puts the book named "Rachel" on the shelf next to all the other books with female names on them

e: also I wish the game lasted more than a week, I want to go to the Halloween party and the Nightmare Before Christmas midnight screening :\

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

precision posted:

e: also I wish the game lasted more than a week, I want to go to the Halloween party and the Nightmare Before Christmas midnight screening :\

Maybe if it sells well enough they'll make an epilogue chapter where you get to do that? :v:

Also as for Kate, someone told me they figure that Nathan spiked her drink and made a video of her, like he was planning to do with Chloe. That's nasty, but it makes total sense based on how the vortex club people are treating her. Poor Kate though, if that's true... I don't want it to be, but I bet it is.

Meis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 3, 2015

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Really sorry to ruin the entire game series for everyone but it's basically Donnie Darko in that by visiting the bathroom at the start, after taking the picture of the butterfly by setting of the fire alarm and stopping her friend get shot she triggered a incredibly literal butterfly effect (the concept that something as little a butterfly beating it's wings can cause a massive storm somewhere through chain reaction) and that in the end, Donnie Darko style, Max will realise that the only way she can stop her town from getting destroyed by the huge storm is to turn back time (she will have learned how to do this by greater amounts by now, probably having gone to Arcadia point six months earlier to try and save Rachel) and not do anything to stop Chloe get shot and just let things be. It will be very emotional, the ultimate sacrifice, and we will all have a good cry about it but at the same time be like, wow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Really sorry to ruin the entire game series for everyone but it's basically Donnie Darko in that by visiting the bathroom at the start, after taking the picture of the butterfly by setting of the fire alarm and stopping her friend get shot she triggered a incredibly literal butterfly effect (the concept that something as little a butterfly beating it's wings can cause a massive storm somewhere through chain reaction) and that in the end, Donnie Darko style, Max will realise that the only way she can stop her town from getting destroyed by the huge storm is to turn back time (she will have learned how to do this by greater amounts by now, probably having gone to Arcadia point six months earlier to try and save Rachel) and not do anything to stop Chloe get shot and just let things be. It will be very emotional, the ultimate sacrifice, and we will all have a good cry about it but at the same time be like, wow.

I seriously hate that you're probably right.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

precision posted:

I just think butterfly, storm, no coincidence it's far too symbolic.

e: p.s. the whole "your action will have consequences" over the tiniest bs like watering a plant is a major spoiler for this, i.e. yes something as small as scaring off a butterfly could make all this happen and ultimately the message is don't gently caress with destiny p.p.s. the janitor is a pedo

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 3, 2015

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Same thought crossed my mind as well. But so far I'm liking this better than Darkie Darko so theres that :v:

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
I can see the ending now Max will take comfort in the fact that she got to spend time that she was never supposed to have with her BFF and will have all of the photos she's going to take of Chloe in future episodes which will form some kind of emotional tribute to what never was. She will also submit one of these photos into the everyday heroes contest, because Chloe is the everyday hero for sacrificing herself to save everyone. It may even be Chloe's choice that you go back and let her die. P.s. the spoiler for episode 2 involving Chloe nearly getting hit by the train pretty much confirms the whole 'you are supposed to let her die' theory i.e. it's very Final Destination. Perhaps when you go back to try and save Rachel and worse things happen as a result you will realise this.

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 3, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not even going to spoiler speculation that some picture of Chloe will definitely be the "right" or "only" option to win the Everyday Hero Photo Contest. That's like, so obvious it couldn't be anything else.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I hope the photo of Chloe taking a bong hit is an option.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

precision posted:

Supposedly there will be multiple endings, but maybe they will just turn the tornado different colors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Roman Reigns posted:

I hope the photo of Chloe taking a bong hit is an option.

I was more confused that her stepdad freaked out about it considering weed is legal in Oregon. Maybe they don't know that in France.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

Supposedly there will be multiple endings, but maybe they will just turn the tornado different colors.

it's ultimately going to be a two way choice in that do you go back and let destiny run it's course knowing full well that your friend will die, or do you gently caress with fate to keep your friend alive possibly at the expense of everyone else

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

precision posted:

I was more confused that her stepdad freaked out about it considering weed is legal in Oregon. Maybe they don't know that in France.

Whether it's legal or not doesn't really matter if the super paranoid and physically abusive stepdad tells you you're not allowed to smoke pot.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

it's ultimately going to be a two way choice in that do you go back and let destiny run it's course knowing full well that your friend will die, or do you gently caress with fate to keep your friend alive possibly at the expense of everyone else

Eh, that's too easy. gently caress that shithole, even Chloe wants it to burn

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

losonti tokash posted:

Whether it's legal or not doesn't really matter if the super paranoid and physically abusive stepdad tells you you're not allowed to smoke pot.

Didn't he threaten to call the cops or did I remember that wrong? Because what are the cops gonna do?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

precision posted:

Didn't he threaten to call the cops or did I remember that wrong? Because what are the cops gonna do?

Arrest her for being under 21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If it does end that way, I'm fine with that because I'd still be interested in how letting Chloe die would've stopped the tornado from destroying the town. If we're going by the speculation in this thread. Like letting Chloe get shot isn't somehow going to stop a tornado from forming, so I want to know what exactly would change that with keeping Chloe alive. Not to mention, besides your own time travel powers, there seems to be some hints of something supernatural going on, and there's still the mystery of where Ashley went.

I found Donnie Darko stupid and boring, but I'm pretty gripped by this already. Yeah it could end in the way everyone is expecting, but even if it does, there's still plenty of other stuff in the story that I think is interesting/mysterious.

• Locked thread