Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Reclaimer posted:

Arrest her for being under 21

I assumed she had a medical marijuana card which you don't need to be 21 for, since she says "gotta medicate". :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

precision posted:

I assumed she had a medical marijuana card which you don't need to be 21 for, since she says "gotta medicate". :)

That's a thing stoners have been saying since forever though.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Macaluso posted:

If it does end that way, I'm fine with that because I'd still be interested in how letting Chloe die would've stopped the tornado from destroying the town. If we're going by the speculation in this thread. Like letting Chloe get shot isn't somehow going to stop a tornado from forming, so I want to know what exactly would change that with keeping Chloe alive. Not to mention, besides your own time travel powers, there seems to be some hints of something supernatural going on, and there's still the mystery of where Ashley went.

I found Donnie Darko stupid and boring, but I'm pretty gripped by this already. Yeah it could end in the way everyone is expecting, but even if it does, there's still plenty of other stuff in the story that I think is interesting/mysterious.

I'm pretty much certain that it goes back to the butterfly. The only way to save Chloe was to turn on the fire alarm, looking at picture spoilers for one of the future episodes 'out of time' with the guy holding the gun you try to stop it in other way's but you're literally 'out of time'. No, the fire alarm was the only way you could stop it and setting it off spooked the butterfly and then the chain reaction started (the bird migration is a part of that). i think the whole vortex club thing is a bit of a red herring i.e. you're made to think it's some kind of supernatural cult thing but really it's a bunch of jocks doing date-rapey type stuff that rachel died for trying to expose.

from wikipedia about the origin of 'the butterfly effect' concept:

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. Note that the butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado. The butterfly effect does not convey the notion—as is often misconstrued—that the flap of the butterfly's wings causes the tornado. The flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a tornado while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events (compare: domino effect). Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different—it's possible that the set of conditions without the butterfly flapping its wings is the set that leads to a tornado."

The game is essentially taking this very literally and the appearance of the butterfly when Max first used her gift is far too coincidental for it not to be the catalyst. Everything else is very likely misdirection. P.s. the big giveaway that this entire series is an open love letter to Donnie Darko is the montage at the very end of supporting characters going about their day that was only missing being accompanied by the track 'Mad World'.

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 3, 2015

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

precision posted:

lol do you really think chloe is the kind of person who would not smoke weed without a medical marijuana card? She doesn't care about society's ruuuuuules *parks in 2 disabled spaces like an arsehole*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Meis posted:

lol do you really think chloe is the kind of person who would not smoke weed without a medical marijuana card? She doesn't care about society's ruuuuuules *parks in 2 disabled spaces like an arsehole*

It took me 20 minutes to get my medical card, there's being against the man and then there's being a dumb teenager- ohhhhhh

Also do people think the tornado is literally going to be a tornado because bro do you even get symbolism

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Also, the game takes place in 2013 and Wikipedia says that it didn't become legal in Oregon until 2014.

I guess they had medical marijuana before that, though.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I still think the tornado is a metaphor and not really like an actual tornado that's actually going to destroy the town. I don't think I need to spoil that since the tornado is in the first seconds of the game.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Rosalind posted:

I still think the tornado is a metaphor and not really like an actual tornado that's actually going to destroy the town. I don't think I need to spoil that since the tornado is in the first seconds of the game.

Might be an actual tornado. I feel like Chloe's dad's prepping is sorta foreshadowing, that and the actual perceivable change in the weather at the end. Doesn't have to make any more sense than a girl randomly being able to turn back time.

The real question is, which way is less disappointing?

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 3, 2015

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
The leaked location list makes it fairly clear where the end game is going to take place.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

The leaked location list makes it fairly clear where the end game is going to take place.

Don't even say stuff like this. I really don't want it spoiled.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Rosalind posted:

Same, I'd prefer being hilariously wrong about everything and being hella surprised later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the endgame takes place in the Space Needle.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

quadrophrenic posted:

Also, be warned, this game has a lot of teen-talk and rich white kids and quirky references to famous photographers. A lot of the dialogue is really realistically awkward, the way douchey teens actually do talk, but some of it smells of "written by a 30-year-old French dude with a tenuous grasp on how American young people actually talk".

Pretty much no one talks (or thinks) the way the characters talk in this game, and it's just the worst. I was amped for this game, but the demo killed any interested in pursuing it further.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
What's confusing me is that this is supposed to be some kind of special seniors-only high school, yet Max still manages to be the 'new girl,' even though it's only fall. Wouldn't everyone be the new kid, every year? How would anyone know a girl from the year before?

Maybe that's why Rachel Amber "disappeared" - she's the only one in the school's history to actually graduate. Everyone else just keeps repeating their senior year, Groundhog Day style. No wonder the principal's a drunk and the kids are losing their tiny minds.

I know it makes no difference to the plot, but it keeps nagging at me anyway. I suspect the "seniors only" was a throwaway line to establish that all these teenagers getting their sexy time on are technically of legal age oh god please don't sue us.

vv- That's the closest thing to an explanation I can think of. Still weird that Rachel Amber was involved with the photography teacher, and that Chloe was enrolled at the academy 2 years ago. I guess they could be different ages and Rachel Amber just... spent a lot of time with juniors at her old school? And it can't be a very elite academy if 99.9% of the students are just funneled from the local hick-town high school.

I mean, my assumption was that Chloe and Rachel Amber were enrolled at the same time, hanging out with the skate kids and so on. The timeline can theoretically work if Chloe repeats a year or hangs around campus after dropping out, it just feels like a lot of unnecessary overcomplication to make it work.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 4, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

They probably all went to school together at whatever the regular local high school is before starting there. I mean that's what I assume. In smaller towns, there's not like multiple high schools like there are in cities. Even in that case, I knew about half my high school class from middle school because only two middle schools fed into my high school.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wow, what a game.

Meet the characters:
- A shy girl who is actually very special (and never says one reasonable thing a normal person would say)
- A quite Christian girl with zero characterisation so far
- A rebel grrrl whose stepdad is a tyrant
- A psychotic ex-soldier slash tyrant of a stepfather who is also a paranoid security guard
- A nice guy
- loving rich people
- Especially that loving rich kid
- A minority character???????
- loving principal who just DOESN'T CARE about students
- Hipster teacher who knows the shy girl is very special (unlike those loving rich people, UGH)
- loving jocks
- A girl who isn't in the game yet
- A magical Polaroid camera that can take nice photos of moving objects
- Some other stereotypes that actually are not quite as stereotypical as they look
- A lovely smartphone that doesn't allow you to make calls, because gently caress you, MUM
- An invisible Donnie Darko

I will definitely play the second episode. It's hilarious so far.

E: I also totally got the reference to 'Kickstarter'. It's like this game is taking place right now, it's like I'm not only there but also then.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 4, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This speaks to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The game has at least five minority characters off the top of my head and none feel like tokenism so I dunno what yer on about mate.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

Wow, what a game.

Meet the characters:
- A shy girl who is actually very special (and never says one reasonable thing a normal person would say)
- A quite Christian girl with zero characterisation so far
- A rebel grrrl whose stepdad is a tyrant
- A psychotic ex-soldier slash tyrant of a stepfather who is also a paranoid security guard
- A nice guy
- loving rich people
- Especially that loving rich kid
- A minority character???????
- loving principal who just DOESN'T CARE about students
- Hipster teacher who knows the shy girl is very special (unlike those loving rich people, UGH)
- loving jocks
- A girl who isn't in the game yet
- A magical Polaroid camera that can take nice photos of moving objects
- Some other stereotypes that actually are not quite as stereotypical as they look
- A lovely smartphone that doesn't allow you to make calls, because gently caress you, MUM
- An invisible Donnie Darko

I will definitely play the second episode. It's hilarious so far.

E: I also totally got the reference to 'Kickstarter'. It's like this game is taking place right now, it's like I'm not only there but also then.

Shouldn't you have forums cancer or something?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Rosalind posted:

I'll just say that the location names confirm that there are indeed multiple, quite different endings, as advertised.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

I'll just say that the location names confirm that there are indeed multiple, quite different endings, as advertised.

I don't know if I can trust you anymore! :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

precision posted:

The game has at least five minority characters off the top of my head and none feel like tokenism so I dunno what yer on about mate.

Well, maybe, but I'm glad we agree on everything else.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I'm pretty much certain that it goes back to the butterfly. The only way to save Chloe was to turn on the fire alarm, looking at picture spoilers for one of the future episodes 'out of time' with the guy holding the gun you try to stop it in other way's but you're literally 'out of time'. No, the fire alarm was the only way you could stop it and setting it off spooked the butterfly and then the chain reaction started (the bird migration is a part of that). i think the whole vortex club thing is a bit of a red herring i.e. you're made to think it's some kind of supernatural cult thing but really it's a bunch of jocks doing date-rapey type stuff that rachel died for trying to expose.

from wikipedia about the origin of 'the butterfly effect' concept:

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. Note that the butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado. The butterfly effect does not convey the notion—as is often misconstrued—that the flap of the butterfly's wings causes the tornado. The flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a tornado while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events (compare: domino effect). Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different—it's possible that the set of conditions without the butterfly flapping its wings is the set that leads to a tornado."

The game is essentially taking this very literally and the appearance of the butterfly when Max first used her gift is far too coincidental for it not to be the catalyst. Everything else is very likely misdirection. P.s. the big giveaway that this entire series is an open love letter to Donnie Darko is the montage at the very end of supporting characters going about their day that was only missing being accompanied by the track 'Mad World'.

I'm confident you are totally right. Like I think this game has pretty awesome atmosphere, but the writing is just cliché and maudlin enough to where I definitely expect them to take the absolute easiest, most obvious route to tear at people's heartstrings, and this is very much that.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I sure hope there's more to Rachel than that. After just a few months, the only people with any strong reaction to her disappearance are Chloe and Victoria. For someone who was such an omgsuperbestie to everyone in a 50-mile radius, they're all pretty blasé about her being gone - including her parents. It's either for a reason that's going to be explained later, or it's lovely writing, and I'd prefer it not to be lovely writing but I've been disappointed before. :(

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

precision posted:

Wait what

-The principal
-The teacher lady

literally everyone else is white, unless I'm missing something

The fat kid who sketches Max? Is he some kind of eastern european or something?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

He sounded vaguely Hispanic to me

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm not saying a game needs to meet some sort of POC quota or something, but this game is emphatically about upper-middle-class white children, whatever you want to read from that is your own prerogative I spose

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

quadrophrenic posted:

Wait what

-The principal
-The teacher lady

The fat kid must be from Latin America. There's also a black guy chilling with his 'harem' under a tree. The girl with a drone might be of Asian descent, too, when I think about it.

Anyway, my point was that so far minority characters aren't exactly fleshed out. Not that other characters are fleshed out, but still.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I played the game and enjoyed it, though I do hope that they manage to follow through on the story. I can see how the main character can be off putting. The whole Academy is pretentious (And the teacher can be annoying) and that was something that I did not enjoy.

But I am a sucker for time travel stories. And Im happy to see that this game can exist along with COD and halo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Can you ruin Chloe's life in this game? Apparently you have to save her from being killed but I still want to be a giant dick to a whiny and super-angsty Tumblr teenage girl.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

closeted republican posted:

Can you ruin Chloe's life in this game? Apparently you have to save her from being killed but I still want to be a giant dick to a whiny and super-angsty Tumblr teenage girl.

Haha, yeah sort of. Chloe's voiced by Ashly Burch too if that does anything for ya.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quadrophrenic posted:

Wait what

-The principal
-The teacher lady

Sketch kid is definitely Hispanic, drone girl looked Asian, black jock dude, that one "super good sketch artist" looked and sounded like he was supposed to be vaguely ethnic though I couldn't quite place it (maybe he was supposed to be Native American because it would be weird if we didn't meet any indians when the school is in Native American Burial Ground: the Town).

I mean yeah there's lots of white people in a small town elite school in Oregon. I don't think it's a problem nor do I think it's super noteworthy there's a black principal and teacher or whatever, just saying that guy's list of "things in this game" was wrong on that point is all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This is the kind of game a certain type of person will purchase and play just to tell you what's wrong with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

closeted republican posted:

You can let her get smacked in the face if you're a terrible coward. :(

It's still bothering me that Max didn't recognize her at the beginning of the game but instantly did when she opened the truck door in the parking lot. Max must have that condition that makes facial recognition hard, because it happens with the security guard too. I clicked on literally four pictures of him before she commented on him being who he is.

e: Wait, Chloe isn't really whiny and super-angsty though especially not in the "Tumblr" way? She's pissed with good reason at Max and her step-dad but that's about it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I've said it before: Chloe and the jock chilling under the tree are the only tolerable personalities I've met in this game so far

Funny, I really do like this game a lot, despite the fact that most of these characters are insufferable. I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quadrophrenic posted:

I've said it before: Chloe and the jock chilling under the tree are the only tolerable personalities I've met in this game so far

Funny, I really do like this game a lot, despite the fact that most of these characters are insufferable. I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion

I actually liked the Cheerleader (Donna?) when you do the "friends" path with her.

Most of the characters haven't had time to really develop yet so it's hard to call if anyone else is going to end up being likeable or not. I think Warren has potential.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

I think Warren has potential.

Heh, yeah maybe if he learns to skateboard :smug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone is saying the licensed music is great now but just wait until that Avril Lavigne song comes on out of nowhere next episode and Max starts singing along.

Or maybe the Decemberists will cameo and I can shoot myself in the head.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

precision posted:

it would be weird if we didn't meet any indians when the school is in Native American Burial Ground: the Town).

Calling it now: Rachel Amber is like 1/64th Native American or some poo poo (dat beaded feather earring). That one would make me a little squeamish since it'd smack of using heritage as a "quirk" to make a blandly pretty white girl more interesting. After the questionable history lesson from that science teacher during her petition spiel (oh natives and whites totally got along and shared! Kumbaya!) I'm a little concerned that the foreign devs might not be aware of how fraught that particular trope is.

But it's a minor concern that might turn out to be nothing, and the rest of it, I got no beef with. PNW is not terribly diverse, and especially out in the wealthy 'burbs, kids of all skin pigmentations tend to act white as gently caress. For the microcosm of that elite, sheltered little academy it rings pretty accurate to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

precision posted:

Max must have that condition that makes facial recognition hard, because it happens with the security guard too. I clicked on literally four pictures of him before she commented on him being who he is.
Yep, she's got the 'tism. A perfect condition to have for an aspiring photographer.

quadrophrenic posted:

I don't like like the game so far, but I most definitely ironically like it. There's some weird appeal in watching twee kids faffing about.

It feels like story writers are going to not very subtly subvert whatever clichés they're currently using. Like we already see that Max being a shy girl is actually bad for her real problem is that she doesn't care about other people. I suspect that Chloe and her real dad were maybe a bit too close and she will have to learn that her stepdad is not that bad. And everyone else will also learn some important lesson, I guess. And then there will be high-fives, intense clapping, an a cappella rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody and at least three couples will unite in marriage.

• Locked thread