Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

s.i.r.e. posted:

Man, I hope it's not really vampires and it's the plague or something because this looks good but vampires are lame as poo poo.

Eh, it really just matters how they're approached. Vampires or no vampieres I don't think would make a difference if the story and characterization are interesting otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly I'm not really sure how a Life is Strange sequel would work without being more of the same, even if they do go for a new cast and setting (so somebody else gets time powers and the cycle begins all over again?). I'm guessing they could include a character or two from the first game to tie things together (if it gets mentioned at all) but I don't really see where things could go from here aside from maybe dealing with the fallout from Max's final decision(I suppose they could go always for another gimmick besides time travel though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 23, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

Honestly I'm not really sure how a Life is Strange sequel would work without being more of the same, even if they do go for a new cast and setting (so somebody else gets time powers and the cycle begins all over again?). I'm guessing they could include a character or two from the first game to tie things together (if it gets mentioned at all) but I don't really see where things could go from here aside from maybe dealing with the fallout from Max's final decision(I suppose they could go always for another gimmick besides time travel though).

It starts off with the girls driving away from a devastated small town, and then becomes something like Walking Dead, except you, as Max, have to fight off Time Demons with your time powers, while Chloe learns she is the mystical Chosen One a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer and then they go to Vegas and run a bar, solving crimes in their downtime by kicking demon rear end.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Flip it all around and do Season 2 from Chloe's perspective.

Unfortunately "good at dying" is a pretty big step down from "time manipulation" on the super powers org chart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Dontnod have said that a second Life is Strange would feature a brand new cast of characters, which I think would ultimately be the only right move. It's hard to imagine them nailing the cast as well as they did in Season One, but I think it would be better to make a clean break and try something totally different with the concept. Like some old lady with alzheimer's in a retirement home gets time travel powers or something.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

Man, I hope it's not really vampires and it's the plague or something because this looks good but vampires are lame as poo poo.

Well, consider the fact that Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is one of the best games ever made, and everyone who disagrees with this is wrong.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
a protag who is just a complete rear end in a top hat and uses the time powers for stupid bullshit like "Agh this person in front of me at the starbucks is taking forever" *rewinds time so he's first in line* "grande latte with extra skim almond milk and the freshly fallen tears of those behind me please"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno about death prone characters as main protagonists but I know Ghost Trick did a good job with "likeable characters who are more often dead than not" so maybe we need more of that

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I don't think they even need to include time travel again. The best part about LiS isn't the rewind mechanic but the themes, character, and story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Darkoni posted:

I don't think they even need to include time travel again. The best part about LiS isn't the rewind mechanic but the themes, character, and story.

Without the time travel angle it might as well not be Life is Strange. The themes of the story work as a whole precisely because we're playing from the perspective of an indecisive teenager who has the ability to rewind time.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

Without the time travel angle it might as well not be Life is Strange. The themes of the story work as a whole precisely because we're playing from the perspective of an indecisive teenager who has the ability to rewind time.

It really only needs to be a power not time travel specifically then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm totally down for a video game series of people inheriting supernatural extended metaphors.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SirKibbles posted:

It really only needs to be a power not time travel specifically then

I don't think a sequel would need to change the power, but even if they did, there's no reason they couldn't just work with a different form of time travel. Max's powers are fairly specific throughout most of the game.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I enjoyed the use of time travel in the context of a choice-based storygame to try out different choices. Functionally it's similar to quicksaving before every choice, but it feels different, of course.

I would not be opposed to more time travel, especially if it came with trickier puzzles.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
It's not Life is Strange without a mechanic that allows you to be indecisive and angsty

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I prefer to call it considering the consequences, weighing my options, and comparing outcomes :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
life with strange: groundhog day edition

still time travel, but a much different metaphor and very different story potential

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

abardam posted:

I prefer to call it considering the consequences, weighing my options, and comparing outcomes :colbert:

It's nice. With Telltale, there's the countdown timer going "CHOOSE! NOW, MOTHERFUCKER, WHO DIES TONIGHT?!" It adds to the tension and gives a lot of great moments where you immediately regret your panicked decision but have to live with it now. With LIS, that decision was made with time, consideration, and full knowledge of the potential outcomes. So when that one comes back later to bite you in the rear end, you own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Is it going to be an adventure vampire game like LIS or a 3rd person adventure game? Oh wait it's of course 3rd person action shooter, 0 interest here.

Also -90 points for it not being set in the World of Darkness universe which is batshit crazy. I won't tolerate normal vampires since vampire the masquerade. Either make it interesting and unique or go away.

• Locked thread