Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man, and I was just finishing up making my OP. Oh well.

Great game, everyone buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is just Chrono trigger Dawson's Creek the Point and Click Adventure.
Yeah, and its just as rad as that sounds.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm waiting for the Vampires to show up so I can get the Dinosaur Ending.
Hey man don't spoil the fact that this a sequel to DONTNOD's upcoming Vampire RPG.

quadrophrenic posted:

Sorry guys! I feel bad :(

If you have any pertinent info or insight I'd be glad to add it to the OP
S'right.

Here's some important release stuff from my OP that should be added:

The Complete Season will not be available for Playstation users until February 3.

Demos are available for all platforms except PC.

Episode 1- Chrysalis: Out Now
Episode 2- Out of Time: March 2015
Episode 3- Chaos Theory: TBA
Episode 4- Dark Room: TBA
Episode 5- Polarized: TBA

Projected release dates for new episodes will be around every six weeks.

And have two more links:
Offical Website
Youtube Channel (Has trailers and Dev Diary videos)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

I was surprised that this is an actual game instead of a tech demo like Gone Home.
I would agree with you if you said Vanishing of Ethan Carter instead, sadly.

Oxxidation posted:

The script for Remember Me was a hilarious disaster so I don't have high hopes for this thing, especially since it appears to be running off similar concepts. Still time to prove me wrong, though.
Life as Strange has got some awkwardness to it dialogue-wise, but its overall pretty good, especially when it comes to the characters already. It also feels really sincere which makes me look past any flaws that come up.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 1, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

It's probably got the worst case of ludonarrative dissonance of any game I've ever seen and totally fails to follow up on any aspect of its (actually pretty interesting and original) setting. It's an ambitious disaster, but a disaster nonetheless.

I mean, Life is Strange probably won't have the main character blubber over scrambling someone's memories while whitewashing all the murders they were directly and indirectly responsible for up to that point (including a drat hospital bombing), so it has some wiggle room.
Oops, I was referring to Life as Strange, clarified my initial post.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Also, in the "choices you and everyone else made" section after the credits: where is this bird whose life is in my hands??
In Chloe's parents' room.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

quadrophrenic posted:

Also, all of the conflict in this game seems to be mostly crouched firmly in after-school special territory, for what that's worth.
I don't think this is going to be only the case for too long, but I'm hoping they don't go full out supernatural.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

I guess the same thing happens either way, but what reason does he give for threatening you in that case?
He finds the photo Max ripped up in the bathroom

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

satanic splash-back posted:

This looks almost as good as Heavy Rain, another amazing story based interactive movie game from a French developer who wrote completely believable and natural characters.
This game is France atoning for David Cage.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Max, you can't do that! That'll create a time paradox!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And that's when Max found out the true power of her Stand.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

quadrophrenic posted:

160mb update on Steam right now. I'm not terribly familiar with how episodic games work on Steam, I was thinking it would just be a separate executable.
It's just a stability/bug fix patch and no, most of the new episodic games on Steam just launch from the same game. The only big exceptions I can think of being Telltale's pre-Walking Dead episodic titles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It''s neat that they've managed to release episodes a day early so far. I do have some time to play it tonight too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
PC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Is that in America? There's no option to buy Episode 2 by itself on my Steam, just episode 1 and then 2-5 for 17 bucks
There's a season pass that gives you all the episodes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I am really liking that they're going with the Alpha Protocol approach and actually taking stuff into account. I really hope Kate's fate is actually a meaningful branching path. It would really suck if they just pull a post Walking Dead Season 1 Telltale and have a choice that huge and potentially meaningful ultimately not mattering. She survived in my game so hopefully she's not bedridden for the rest of the game and not adding much. Really good stuff overall. I'm really glad how good this game is already.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 24, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

quadrophrenic posted:

I really want to see how this game plays out if Kate dies. That seems like a bigger sort of decision than these kinds of games usually deal in.

e: oh jesus. bold is not spoiler.
I'm betting you're going to get a bleaker game if they keep up this quality of reactivity. I can see Max blaming herself for not caring enough about Kate to save her and her death might drive Max and Chloe to be more ruthless at uncovering the truth than if Kate lives because now they are out to avenge her.

In retrospect I can kind of regret having David take the fall instead of Jefferson. I didn't want to incriminate Nathan regardless because I've made sure that he doesn't suspect at all that Max is on to him. David is obviously paranoid as poo poo because he sort of knows what's really going on but I chose him as the fall guy because I had enough proof that he was doing something wrong where Max wouldn't look like a liar and/or blow her cover. But yeah, should have went with Jefferson because he's getting mighty shady.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
On the other hand the game's giving me a strong vibe that the Prescotts own the entire town, including the cops, so Max and Chloe are on their own here so its best keeping Max off of Nathan's radar as long as possible while Max can gather any real evidence she can.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Artix posted:

E: I missed the firewalker and 186 photos, anyone know where they are?
Diner bathroom and school bus in the junkyard respectively.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Roman Reigns posted:

So what happens if you blame Jefferson for Kate's attempted suicide?

Also, am I alone in that I REALLY don't like Chloe anymore?
Yeah, she's starting to be super clingy and what both Joyce and David say about her are totally right. I have a good feeling that its all intentional though, they've mentioned how Chloe has been unable to move on from the past, unlike Max and Joyce, so she still acts like a petulant teenager because she's refused to take responsibility and grow up. I also have feeling Rachel is also going to end up not being much of a good person as well. The theory that Rachel also had time powers and was using them for her own gain by manipulating people like Max can do really could back this up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Call the cops on Granos Warren.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I missed that and that instantly elevates him from well meaning but awkward as hell nerd to outright creepy fedora tipping goonlord. Not going to movie night now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nckdictator posted:

Look, all he does is stare into girl's windows and ask them if they want to watch Cannibal Holocaust. Let me tell you, when I think 'date movie' I think a animal snuff film.
Cannibal Holocaust is art, I don't know what you're talking about.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The janitor is the most sane person in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The whole train scene feels less like fate going out of its way to kill Chloe and more like it was borne out of Chloe's own stupidity.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I wouldn't mind if living Kate wasn't totally active but there should definitely be a huge tonal difference if she dies and she better play a major role at the end if she lives. I think they can do it though, I mean if Alpha Protocol can do similar things with presumably less dev time and possibly budget, they don't really have an excuse.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 3, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Junkfist posted:

90% certain they're going to do a Donnie Darko ending so that nothing that happens is going to matter.
They've actually already said they'll be several different endings so that probably won't be the case.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

woodenchicken posted:

Why am I so hype for this.
Because it is legit real good and this episode is cementing the game closer into classic tier. Hopefully they keep it up.

The game definitely made itself feel more like Alpha Protocol by it responding to what you did compared to Telltale's new games where the game barely responds to anything you do. Even if they don't matter now they did it in the best way possible..

Also they already spoiled the game's ending in the boy's locker room. Max is totally going back in time to the 80's to fight Jacket, the true mastermind.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 19, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah its way too much of a red herring. Max and Rachel are still probably both tied with each other through both having time powers though.

One possibility I'm thinking of is that there is some sort of benevolent entity/force in the town that's trying to prevent the catastrophe for happening so it granted a person in the town time powers, Rachel was the original chosen. Rachel failed at this though because she just abused her powers for her own selfish gain and she desperately wanted to avoid her duty by trying to skip town. This all eventually led to bad things happening to her and Max becoming her successor.

I definitely think it would more interesting if the new timeline isn't inherently worse or better than the original so it leaves Max/the player to decide which reality they prefer. I don't think time travel stories have ever really had that dilemma, its either inherently worse or better with little inbetween.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 19, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Otters killed all the whales. :tinfoil:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

dmboogie posted:

Can't answer your other two questions, but

The way I got the keys was finding out that Rachel posed for Frank to take pictures of her, and then getting Frank to show me the picture of her he keeps in his wallet, after which he sets his keys on the table.
This is the way I did it because asking Frank to see his dog just made him think it was Max's lame excuse to try and buy drugs off him.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope most of Episode 4 is exploring the new timeline so you get to know it better and have Max return towards the end of the episode and Episode 5 is all about wrapping things up and ultimately deciding what reality you want to keep. That would be a great meaningful choice that would tie the game together.

I definitely have faith in them to pull it off because they've done a real good job of not really railroading the player and having you be able to completely miss things as well as not falling into the half-assed problem that post-Walking Dead Season 1 Telltale has where if you don't pick the choices that they want you to pick the game just sloppily shoehorns in a way to make sure its what they wanted, characters and common sense be damned. (Walking Dead Season 2 was horrendous with this when it came to characters dying) It also really helps that its really nicely written and I'm glad they've stuck with the slow meditative pace of the first episode, its what makes the game what it is I feel.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 21, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm just worried that they've set up all these cool things to figure out, but there won't be enough time in Episode 4 and 5 to finish it all. Maybe Epsiode 5 will be extra-long, though?
There's nothing to say it can't. Dreamfall Chapters is only 2 episodes in and its already around ten hours long.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

abardam posted:

Do real american towns have this much graffiti
Nah Arcadia Bay just has an infestation of graffiti gremlins.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fans posted:

The game is managing a nice blend of down to earth character development and time travel weirdness.
Yeah, its one of the rare few games that really pull of a slow pace and down to earth tone. You got your time shenanigans but the characters are given the most focus and it doesn't devolve into total silly bullshit like David Cage games do.

If you loved Gone Home you''ll love Life is Strange, they're both very human games which you don't get a lot of.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another thing to add to the pile for Warren being a pathetic creeplord is that in the diner there's a flyer put up most likely by him asking if any girls want to see the movie marathon with him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Paladinus posted:

Now that's just speculation. There's obviously only one girl for him and it's Max.
A good stalker should always keeps their prospects open.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm still confused about why Rachel and Frank are attracted to each other,and the pictures and journals you find don't really explain anything.

She's a freewheeling teenager about to graduate from a private high school who dreams of leaving her one horse town , he's a twenty something drug dealer / former dog fighter who lives in a van out by the diner.

What the hell is going on there? poo poo, I guess I should spoiler this.
They really imply that Rachel was just manipulating Frank for her own gain. Frank seemed to genuinely love her though so he probably took it hard when she disappeared and why he's even more of a bitter rear end in a top hat now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm really looking forward to their vampire RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Remember Me really sounds like the first game of a fledgling studio that didn't really have a grasp of their strengths and weaknesses and what works and what doesn't yet.

It shows that they really learned alot from Remember Me when you compare it to Life is Strange.

• Locked thread