Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been reading the EMC book but I haven't posted much about it and I guess that's kind of the point.

Chapter 2 was a bit tough to get through, it's dry material and since I already knew a lot about virtualization, it wasn't very interesting until the second half where they started talking about calculating IOPS.

I was proud of myself for not laughing at the term "Full Stroke " I'm an adult!
And then read "This is known as short-stroking the drive." That got a snicker out of me, I'm just a teenager in an adult body.

I'm guessing that solid state is making short-stroking an obsolete technique, but prior to their invention, the technique makes sense when you look at their example that uses 10 drives worth of storage but needs 72 to meet IOPS requirements.

I think after this book we might want to just make new threads for books and use this as a meta-discussion thread for talking about new books etc.

It'd make it easier to do multiple books at a time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That chapter on FC was brutal. I'm a very hands on learner so it felt like everything was in one ear out the other. Is it possible to create an FC lab without actual equipment? Virtualized obviously, I've got extra servers laying around.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I'm still trying to finish the Phoenix Project. I'm in to chapter 26, but I'm sort of stuck on the wait time formula. Maybe someone can help me understand this concept.

Wait Time = (% busy) / (% idle)

If the constraint needs to be fully utilized in order to reduce work in progress, wouldn't the utilization of that constraint cause exponential wait times to simply cause more delays in the production process that you're trying to fix in the first place? I get that you'd want to move unneeded demands away from that constraint, but if you absolutely cannot do without the heat-treat oven, or a Brent, does that mean you have to artificially add idle time even to that constraint?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SopWATh posted:

I'm still trying to finish the Phoenix Project. I'm in to chapter 26, but I'm sort of stuck on the wait time formula. Maybe someone can help me understand this concept.

Wait Time = (% busy) / (% idle)

If the constraint needs to be fully utilized in order to reduce work in progress, wouldn't the utilization of that constraint cause exponential wait times to simply cause more delays in the production process that you're trying to fix in the first place? I get that you'd want to move unneeded demands away from that constraint, but if you absolutely cannot do without the heat-treat oven, or a Brent, does that mean you have to artificially add idle time even to that constraint?

If I understand correctly, that curve represents the amount of time required to add an additional task to the queue.

Creating more idle time enables the work unit to be more responsive to an unexpected extra task.

The way I think about it is a conveyor belt with crates on it. In a crisis, you can push boxes forward faster than the belt to make extra room on the belt.

At 50%, you don't even need to move crates to add a new one.

At 70% you can probably push one crate forward a little and one backwards a little to make a spot.

At 90% you'll have to push every single box forward as much as possible and you still might not have room for a new box. You'll have to wait through several cycles while constantly pushing forward to fit one more box.

At 100%+ there is no way to add more tasks without removing boxes.

I can draw a diagram if the mental image isn't working for you.

The important thing is that the response time chart only represents the time it takes to add additional work. If you have a workstation that has a perfectly consistent input and output, you'll only have problems at 100% if you need to shut down the line for repairs or maintenance.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If I understand correctly, that curve represents the amount of time required to add an additional task to the queue.

I can draw a diagram if the mental image isn't working for you.

It makes perfect sense now. That's an excellent analogy, especially considering how Erik keeps relating IT processes to manufacturing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It actually ties into enterprise storage too. In the EMC book they recommend keeping IOPS to 70% of maximum because of the same principles. If you have a storage array processing I/O requests at 100%, any additional work will create a backlog that will never be cleared and will dramatically increase the response time.

One thing you'd mentioned was creating artificial free time. I think that actually makes sense from a management point of view. I'm not saying to create busywork, but because of the way office politics works, it might be smart to put empty crates on the conveyor belt to keep other departments from throwing their own work on the belt or reducing your capacity since you don't seem to be using it.

Training is probably a good way to fill time. You can easily delay training but it also keeps the line productive at all times.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SopWATh posted:

especially considering how Erik keeps relating IT processes to manufacturing.

As an aside, if anyone's not aware, The Phoenix Project is very explicitly a modern rewrite of The Goal. Which is a novel about a factory manager who learns revolutionary management techniques from an enigmatic guru and goes on to save the business and his own career.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Docjowles posted:

As an aside, if anyone's not aware, The Phoenix Project is very explicitly a modern rewrite of The Goal. Which is a novel about a factory manager who learns revolutionary management techniques from an enigmatic guru and goes on to save the business and his own career.

I picked up on the name dropping.

I wish The Goal had been standard issue assigned reading when I worked for [a large industrial supply company] I spent 4 years tracking logistics but no one thought to tell the college kid why I was tracking pick times to the nearest minute. I got so good at identifying the workers that were statistically slower than their counterparts that I knew their employee numbers by heart. I was able to tell warehouse managers which specific employees/pick zones were slowing down orders, but nothing ever came of it. Track-track-track, changes were never made and they wonder why [a large industrial supply companies competitors] kept out-performing them. My co-worker was the perfect Sarah analog who managed to get my fairly good boss (he was a good leader and was good at reducing costs which was probably more important in 2008/9 than improving total production) demoted and replaced by that same co-worker. When Sarah's twin started taking credit for my work, I decided it was time to move on.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I finished reading last night and its not a great book but its a good book. IT isn't some incredibly special snowflake and the same business concepts apply even if you're not dealing with physical goods. Some of the characters were excessively stereotypical but it was eerily realistic of your standard IT Department. There are a lot of business concepts/practices/theories expressed and if you're already familiar with them then this might be a little boring and oversimplified.

A few things stood out to me,

- Scotland Yard Investigation

I don't remember exactly what occurred but something broke and Bill immediately requested everyone to act like Scotland Yard. Without a doubt you need to absolutely figure out what went wrong but treating an IT Outage like a criminal investigation is extreme and someone could easily take this too seriously.

- Emotional Feelings Pow-Wow

Steve admitted in a large meeting when he was in the military he meet and exceed his goals/metrics but everyone below him hated and would never work for him again. It's great to see someone admit their faults, worst fears but this scene was just incredibly unrealistic.

On other hand, I've had quite a few supervisors who have taken this route and wouldn't give a drat what you thought of you as long as the job got done.

- Devops means NoOps

In the back of the book there's a small section listing several DevOps myths with one titled DevOps means NoOps. Summarized, it makes the case that Operations won't be eliminated. As it explains, it seems most if not all of operations is automated and contradicts it's own argument. Weird.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Where should we be, roughly, with the EMC book? I'm at chapter 11, planning on getting through one or two more this weekend. I don't have any professional experience with the subject, but it's nice finally understanding the various topics instead of glossing over whenever they come up in conversation.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 13, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

icehewk posted:

Where should we be, roughly, with the EMC book? I'm at chapter 11, planning on getting through one or two more this weekend. I don't have any professional experience with the subject, but it's nice finally understanding the various topics instead of glossing over whenever they come up in conversation.

I'm gonna catch up to you tonight if it kills me. This is not an easy book :(

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I kind of powered through it a bit last week and got up to chapter ten - really good book but yeah not the easiest read I've ever come across. I was so happy to get to familiar stuff like business continuity after the previous 200 pages.

I'm kind of looking forward to IPv6 fundamentals next, which I'm sure will change as soon as we crack it open and everything comes rushing back.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sheep posted:

I kind of powered through it a bit last week and got up to chapter ten - really good book but yeah not the easiest read I've ever come across. I was so happy to get to familiar stuff like business continuity after the previous 200 pages.

I just dragged my way to chapter 9 and you are right. What a relief to see normal stuff.

I don't know how much I'm comprehending from the earlier chapters but I guess I now have some sort of framework if I get in a discussion.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's definitely the main benefit I'm seeing as well. I'll never really "get it" until I get hands on time with some of this stuff (and I'll literally never, ever see an FC SAN in my current job, for example) so a lot of it is just "at least now I know what the general idea with this stuff is". I'm definitely more comfortable with the basic technologies involved, so I'm glad that this was in the lineup - I plan to go back through with a notebook once I'm done and cover all the key points (and copy down all the IOPS math cause that stuff was great).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just finished the EMC 10-001 book and will test in a few weeks after some more review/practice. Nothing is too out there since I work with this stuff every day.

Can someone recommend a Python book for a total beginner?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CodeAcademy and Learn Python the Hard Way

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I thought the O'Reilly book was alright.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think all of us working on the EMC book are getting close to the end.

Who all wants to do IPv6 next?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think all of us working on the EMC book are getting close to the end.

Who all wants to do IPv6 next?

"Want to" is pretty strong language to use to refer to a book about IPv6, but I do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm up for it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I skipped the EMC book but will do IPv6.

Bigass Moth posted:

Can someone recommend a Python book for a total beginner?

Total beginner for Python, or total "never programmed before" beginner?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

evol262 posted:

I skipped the EMC book but will do IPv6.

Total beginner for Python, or total "never programmed before" beginner?

Totally new to programming. The Learn Python the Hard Way book was recommended so I'll pick that up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I still need to order the IPv6 book (which is crazy since I suggested it). Midterms are kicking my rear end :(

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bigass Moth posted:

Totally new to programming. The Learn Python the Hard Way book was recommended so I'll pick that up.

I'm a python dev. O'Reilly's "Programming Python" is strictly better in every way (idiomatic code, testing, linters, ecosystem, etc).

"Learn C/Ruby the Hard Way" are great. It doesn't carry to Python

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I'm down for IPv6.

Let me find my gimp suit and we can begin

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

I'm a python dev. O'Reilly's "Programming Python" is strictly better in every way (idiomatic code, testing, linters, ecosystem, etc).

"Learn C/Ruby the Hard Way" are great. It doesn't carry to Python

Is this a suitable book for beginners?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Is this a suitable book for beginners?

Actually, I recant this recommendation. It sounds like O'Reilly has totally screwed their "python..." series for beginners (the cookbook is still excellent, and it sounds like they turned "programming python" into some weird sort-of cookbook, and "learning python" into an intro CS book that spends hundreds of pages before you get to a useful, working program).

I still can't recommend "Learn python the hard way" as a serious intro to python (though it's a fine intro to very basic scripting using python). I did a little looking and Practical Programming may be my recommendation now

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

How useful is the current edition of the Python Cookbook for those of us who are stuck in Python 2.x land? The reviews I'm seeing make it sound like it's very heavy on taking advantage of all the sweet new Python 3 features. Which is great, but 2.7 is still the standard even on RHEL 7/Ubuntu Trusty and most open source projects seem to be still Python 2 only. So realistically in my day job I am never going to use version 3.

Is there still enough generally useful content, or might it be worth buying the previous edition which was written against Python 2.4 (and costs twice as much :argh:)?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

How useful is the current edition of the Python Cookbook for those of us who are stuck in Python 2.x land? The reviews I'm seeing make it sound like it's very heavy on taking advantage of all the sweet new Python 3 features. Which is great, but 2.7 is still the standard even on RHEL 7/Ubuntu Trusty and most open source projects seem to be still Python 2 only. So realistically in my day job I am never going to use version 3.

Is there still enough generally useful content, or might it be worth buying the previous edition which was written against Python 2.4 (and costs twice as much :argh:)?

I'm also still in Python 2.x land, since everything I write needs to work on RHEL6/7.

It's honestly worth it just for the chapters on metaprogramming and doing weird things with classes on its own, plus it was an extremely useful reference when I moved into full-time development and I was looking at a bunch of new-to-me problems like "how do I write a class that behaves like a dict/tuple/whatever" (which mostly boils down to which magic methods are needed on that class and what to return), but I still pick it up once a month or so when I'm looking at or writing code that uses patterns I don't often use (class decorators, metaclasses, etc).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is this the new book we need to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/IPv6-Fundamentals-Straightforward-Approach-Understanding/dp/1587143135

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yep, that's the one!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
This is gonna be good.

Both technically, and in the sense that the first page suggests that having an ipv6-enabled alarm clock which automatically schedules an earlier alarm because your boss set up an early meeting on late notice is a good thing. I am ready for my pro-management indoc

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your alarm clock is part of a botnet and sends 10k spam email messages per minute. Please do the needful.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Your alarm clock is part of a botnet and sends 10k spam email messages per minute. Please do the needful.

Nah that only happens to refrigerators

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

IPv6, chapter 3: hexadecimal is apparently really hard for some people to cope with.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

IPv6, chapter 3: hexadecimal is apparently really hard for some people to cope with.

My CCNA Level 1 class had a lesson entirely on hex. Some people still weren't getting it by the end of the semester.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Anyone want to get started on the IPv6 book or Learn Powershell in a month of lunches?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone want to get started on the IPv6 book or Learn Powershell in a month of lunches?

That storage book was brutal but I'm ready to go again. I'll order the IPv6 book tomorrow and we can try to get started.

Who all is in?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was dreading this day but I guess I'm in!

We should really do something easy like the Powershell book after this, we deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm voting for the Powershell book.

• Locked thread