Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the one percent are the equestrian class or whatever that controls everything behind the scenes, or sometimes out in the open gently caress it

the president is the emperor, lets be honest

the legislature opweratees the same as the senaten imperial rome

there is the wealthy romans who had no role in government byut were rish as gently caress

there are the semi-wealhty merchant class, the amerucan middle class who are citizens who do well enough for themselves but have a wealthier patron (business owners)

poor citizens, the plebian class, most Americans

slaves (immigrants, prison inmates)

the imperial capitol, Washington DC, has government buildings that literally model ancient roman buildings

the imperial military bestrides the world like a colossus, except literally this time, unlike when the Romans said it and it was kind of figurative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you think america is willing to appropriate elements of other counties' religions

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Asa Akira posted:

rear end is the new pussy
...but greek conquered america culturally

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i bet i could beat the government in a fight

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

proof of concept posted:

lol if you think america is willing to appropriate elements of other counties' religions

They do.

4/10 attend multiple churches. 3/10 attend multiple religions. ~20% of Christians believe in any mystical poo poo you can name, including an astounding 22% that believe in reincarnation. Probably the one loving religious belief incompatible with Christianity, and 22% of them believe in it. And don't get me started on Mormons.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
America is great because they honestly don't give a poo poo. Give it a couple years and noone cares.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I, for one, as an American, take 1 roman shower every day

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

the one percent are the equestrian class or whatever that controls everything behind the scenes, or sometimes out in the open gently caress it

the president is the emperor, lets be honest

the legislature opweratees the same as the senaten imperial rome

there is the wealthy romans who had no role in government byut were rish as gently caress

there are the semi-wealhty merchant class, the amerucan middle class who are citizens who do well enough for themselves but have a wealthier patron (business owners)

poor citizens, the plebian class, most Americans

slaves (immigrants, prison inmates)

the imperial capitol, Washington DC, has government buildings that literally model ancient roman buildings

the imperial military bestrides the world like a colossus, except literally this time, unlike when the Romans said it and it was kind of figurative

p.much yeah.

The difference though are

- Congress has real hard power
- There is no Praetorian Guard to muck things up
- The Emperor/President is not hereditary and no one can be Emperor for longer than 8 years.

Edit: Remember, Rome was one of the main models the Founding Fathers of the United States looked to when forming the country. So it's really not surprising that there's so much in common.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
it'll all go down the drain eventually, it always does

but the ancient Chinese dynasties are truly impressive, they were stable for centuries

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Shadoer posted:

p.much yeah.

- The Emperor/President is not hereditary and no one can be Emperor for longer than 8 years.

all of this will be taken care of within our lifetimes

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
shut up moron

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Yeah! Foreign Presidents my rear end!

…Oh…my…bama….:psyboom:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Togas look more comfortable than pants but I wonder if they were really complicated to put on. Pants are non-comfortable but easy to put on. Togas = opposite, possibly.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

The Mad Archivist posted:

all of this will be taken care of within our lifetimes

It took a magnificent bastard like Julius Caesar to turn the Roman Republic into a dictatorship and then another magnificent bastard like Octavian/Augustus to turn it into an Empire. I don't see anyone on the horizon who has the balls and intelligence to pull it off.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Shadoer posted:

I can't wait to vote for Hillary Clinton to keep Jeb Bush out of office. :allears:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Bluemillion posted:

I can't wait to vote for Hillary Clinton to keep Jeb Bush out of office. :allears:

Yeah... yeah :(

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shadoer posted:

lol if you think there weren't all kinds of term limits in the roman republic. isn't the president more representative of the consuls (combined)? And would 2 presidents be better than the one we have?

(triumvirate for the win, obvi)

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Roman reigns is an exciting wrestler in the wwe stable who just won the royal rumble

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
heaps fatter and stupider though.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Shadoer posted:

p.much yeah.

Edit: Remember, Rome was one of the main models the Founding Fathers of the United States looked to when forming the country. So it's really not surprising that there's so much in common.

The CIA could make a good praetorian guard.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rapman the Cook posted:

heaps fatter and stupider though.

to be fair, most americans can read/write/interface with complicated technology/do (basic) math which is better than what the roman's had going for them. i mean, we're still a billion kinds of stupid, but i'm p. sure some ancient dude wouldn't come across as particularly astute.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fellbat posted:

The CIA could make good praetorian guard.

secret service? members of the treasury, under control of the executive- created expressly to protect the president, AND the mail!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

RaySmuckles posted:

to be fair, most americans can read/write/interface with complicated technology/do (basic) math which is better than what the roman's had going for them. i mean, we're still a billion kinds of stupid, but i'm p. sure some ancient dude wouldn't come across as particularly astute.

they would probably be able to interact fairly well once past the language barrier, since human nature hasn't changed since then

we're still just as greedy and selfish as we ever were

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

lol if you think there weren't all kinds of term limits in the roman republic. isn't the president more representative of the consuls (combined)? And would 2 presidents be better than the one we have?

(triumvirate for the win, obvi)

Well he was talking about the Empire, but yeah you're right there were term limits in the Republic.

HOWEVER they did have the somewhat stupid rule to give someone the position of "dictator" in a time of crisis, which helped legitimize the transformation into an Empire.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

If America is the new Roman Empire when do I get to bang Lucy Lawless?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

NATO will still be necessary as long as gently caress rear end nations like russia and china exist

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

secret service? members of the treasury, under control of the executive- created expressly to protect the president, AND the mail!

Oh defs, it's just if you believe half the nonsense about Bush Senior or the Kennedy assassination the CIA does the same crazy kingmaking the praetorions did.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If history unstudied is doomed to repeat itself, I really hope nobody studies how the dotcom bubble formed and printed sweet, sweet, digital buxxx by the petabyte

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

NATO will still be necessary as long as gently caress rear end nations like russia and china exist

If we are using the Republic as a model, a bunch of nation were allied with Rome back then as actual allies or client states because there were gently caress rear end nations like Carthage were around.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pro wrestling is p. much the gladiatorial combat of the modern era

*flamboyant performers fight each other in front of an audience*
*are rewarded with public acclaim, product endorsements, lots of pussy*
*nobody gets really hurt most of the time*
*are generally loathed by intellectuals*
*distract the lower-classes from their sorry lot in life*

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Shadoer posted:

It took a magnificent bastard like Julius Caesar to turn the Roman Republic into a dictatorship and then another magnificent bastard like Octavian/Augustus to turn it into an Empire. I don't see anyone on the horizon who has the balls and intelligence to pull it off.
The Republic had been going down for a century though, Caesar was really brilliant but the Republic had to reach the point that 3 people had all the power for Caesar to seize the opportunity in the first place.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Shadoer posted:

If we are using the Republic as a model, a bunch of nation were allied with Rome back then as actual allies or client states because there were gently caress rear end nations like Carthage were around.
im really shoddy on my roman history when the empire fell who was left holding the bill?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Andre the Giant had a real heart attack when Jake "The Snake" Roberts pulled his python out of his gunny sack in the ring on Andre.

FBIASSMAN69
Aug 15, 2006

i was taught in high school that lead poisoning from plumbing was a major contributing factor to teh fall of the roman empire. thank god we've never used that in our paints or say burned it in our fuel.

god bless america

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

im really shoddy on my roman history when the empire fell who was left holding the bill?

Romulus Augustulus, a loving child, which is why it never got paid.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

The Republic had been going down for a century though, Caesar was really brilliant but the Republic had to reach the point that 3 people had all the power for Caesar to seize the opportunity in the first place.

That's not completely true. The Republic had gone through rough patches before with assholes like Sulla running things, but things always returned back to Senate control. Pompeii was a staunch supporter of maintaining the Republic as was Cato. Odds are if Caesar had failed, Rome would have snapped back to being a Republic.

Also, Octavius was the one that really sealed the deal. It's pretty clear that Caesar was not planning on declaring himself king or passing power on through his bloodline. It seemed he wanted power to pass back to the Senate on his death after he pushed through all the reforms he wanted, basically repeating Sulla's example in history at that time. Ironically it was the Senate's assassination followed by their terrible follow up which allowed Marc Antony and Octavius to rally the support they needed to take power. Otherwise, it would have likely snapped back to being a Republic.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's a strange thought that out of the trillions of living things on this planet, we're not only born as intelligent humans and not some 24-hour annoying gnat, but the most powerful group of humans on a planet where most people still live in lovely poverty

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

It's a strange thought that out of the trillions of living things on this planet, we're not only born as intelligent humans and not some 24-hour annoying gnat, but the most powerful group of humans on a planet where most people still live in lovely poverty

gnarlyhotep posted:

we're still just as greedy and selfish as we ever were

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Another strange thought, if you look at the Roman Republic and read it's history and speeches, you'll realize that Rome was filled with tons of smart people. In fact, to be in the Senate you had to be smart as gently caress or else you'd be laughed at constantly.

2000 years later, it's hard to find people half as smart or great orators as those found in the Republic in the American Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
U.S. combatant commanders are literally legati Augusti

• Locked thread