Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Scathach posted:

There used to be an online company made up of a few people that would draw your MMO character for you and they charged like $700 and up.

That's...quite a bit more than I made. I'm assuming the quality was, like, bananas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Nope, just nerds spending a shitton on nerd stuff. (says the nerd)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jeez, I feel bad about charging $20/hr sometimes. I really need to work on valuing my own work/time.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Today I have a few, quick dragon sketches. These are initial concepts for a client done on common printer paper using a 2HB pencil (fancy!). From here I'll give a short synopsis on the tone I'm going for and my thought process for each piece before starting on painting. When I'm doing stuff like this I try to stay loose and focus more on gesture and composition than nailing proportion. Letting the client get a glimpse of the rough sketches before color and lighting are added also lets me get a better read on changes I may need to make to the final composition before getting too far in.

A white, glacial dragon, with jagged shards of ice making up it's body.

A fierce red dragon with rocky, mountainous scales.

A slumbering green dragon, overgrown with vegetation and slowly becoming part of the landscape.

A brown dragon with feather-like scales blending with the clouds past the horizon over sweeping plains.

An aquatic blue dragon swimming through the ocean depths, about to chomp down on some whales.

A creepy black dragon, lurking in a cavernous, underground lair.

Phylodox posted:

Jeez, I feel bad about charging $20/hr sometimes. I really need to work on valuing my own work/time.

I think you're definitely selling yourself short at $20/hr.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 7, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Phylodox posted:

You also have to think about how much time/money it cost to get to where you are as well

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Filled up a page with facey stuff, got a long way to go.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Woot woot dorf is finished!

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR
Theme, theme, theme.

A section of a much larger piece.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Holy poo poo those are amazing.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Finished the first colour pass for the black dragon. Dipping my toes into more customized brushes to add some more texture to my work. I left a lot of the drawing underneath visible as well to lend to the shadowy, ethereal nature of the image. I still need to develop the lower half of the painting further and I'd like to add some figures to give a better sense of scale; maybe a few lost souls wandering aimlessly through the wasteland beneath the dragon's wing.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Caveman Cat posted:

A section of a much larger piece.

I love her dainty little hands and the way your lines flow. Like the motion in those background trees is great.

I'm so happy you started with this one! I really like the smoke effects. Textures are so difficult when working with digital pieces. Well, difficult for me at least. It's so different from traditional art where you you can change the nature of the materials you're working with to change the textures of the piece. With big pieces like that it's hard to cover-up the repetition that different texture brushes bring. Is this a thing others struggle with, or should I get a better art program?

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Textures are so difficult when working with digital pieces. Well, difficult for me at least. It's so different from traditional art where you you can change the nature of the materials you're working with to change the textures of the piece. With big pieces like that it's hard to cover-up the repetition that different texture brushes bring. Is this a thing others struggle with, or should I get a better art program?

I suppose it depends on the program you're using. I'm just using Photoshop at the moment, which has a very robust brush editing tool to add randomization and scatter to the standard brushes. You can also create custom brushes; but that's something I have yet to experiment with. Honestly, technique is going to be different for each person. When I lay down large areas of color like I did with the fog background, I try to change up the direction of the brush I'm using as I go a few times. I also erase a lot, probably more than I should, to vary the opacity of marks I've made.

One thing I've noticed about my earlier stuff and a lot of other people fall into this trap, is that I'm overly concerned with perfecting everything I draw digitally so that there are no loose lines or marks out of place. When I work in traditional media, I'm used to having less control over the materials I'm using to build up an image, there's a certain degree of familiarity with the imperfection of a piece of charcoal or a real brush. I take it for granted that I might make a mistake while drawing and I tend not to worry about it and focus more on the composition as a whole. Generally this means I can put marks down quicker and my traditional stuff is more confident and spontaneous.

As soon as I shifted over to digital work (primarily because paints are expensive and I'm on a tight budget at the moment), I realized I could erase whatever I wanted; crop and mask with pinpoint precision and undo any rogue brushstrokes. I ended up making sure that each line I put down was just right and as a result my digital paintings were flat and lifeless with very little variation in texture.

Recently I've been trying to work digitally like I do with traditional media; which is to say I'm allowing myself small mistakes. I try not to undo often and for pieces like the dragon and the legend of zelda commission, I resist the urge to create a mask for every different color I put down. Not only does this mean I can draw faster, it also means my images are more varied and less uptight.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Haven't posted here in a good while.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I use artweaver, came free with my tablet. Now that I actually bothered to look, I do have more options with the brushes since the last update.
Trying to be too accurate has always been a bit of a pitfall for me. I was actually more frustrated with the inaccuracy and lack of feeling of control with using a tablet, when I was so used to controlling a small brush.
You're right though, focusing too hard on detail will leave the picture flat.

I love how the dude is huuuge so his sword looks like a small stabby thing.

I've been inspired now by the world of warcraft stuff (it's been ages since I drew orcs, even!) and the CYOA going on here so I wanted to do a goblin.

I like drawing pissed off faces.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

I don't think this guy is cut off for a life of dungeon exploring.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Poor guy, I kinda want to give him a hug. The angry nanny goblin in the jar is cracking me up too.

Okay and whichever one of you suggested Cloverpaint, holy crap thank you. Amazing program I would have never heard of.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

(last image credited to unknown child[?])

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Scathach posted:

Okay and whichever one of you suggested Cloverpaint, holy crap thank you. Amazing program I would have never heard of.

You're welcome, great isn't it?

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR

Reene posted:

Holy poo poo those are amazing.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I love her dainty little hands and the way your lines flow. Like the motion in those background trees is great.

Thanks! The sketch of the girl at the table takes up a whole page and has gotten pretty smudged, so I'm inking it today.
@Sharpest Crayon: Really like the slick colors and design on that creature.

Propitious Jerk posted:

Finished the first colour pass for the black dragon. Dipping my toes into more customized brushes to add some more texture to my work. I left a lot of the drawing underneath visible as well to lend to the shadowy, ethereal nature of the image. I still need to develop the lower half of the painting further and I'd like to add some figures to give a better sense of scale; maybe a few lost souls wandering aimlessly through the wasteland beneath the dragon's wing.

Great! This was my favorite of the series already, it looks the most different from the others but still fits in perfectly. Maybe try some bright weird green in the eyes?

McKilligan posted:

Click for huge

An in-progress shot of something I've been working on - would you believe it's only like 25% done? gently caress. Real pleased with it so far, though.

This is fantastic. Gorgeous lines and depth of field.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Another book I found on expressions that was kind of useful was Making Faces: Drawing Expressions for Comics and Cartoons. If you like case study type art-books, well, I find cartoon expressions a good place to start.

Just picked this up and it's pretty great, so thanks for that! It has a slightly different take on constructing heads than Loomis that I'm finding much easier to work with too.

e: I know they're for different things, but still, it's useful to know both methods.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 10, 2015

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Weekly sketch thing.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Finished the colour draft for the green forest dragon. Trying a really dark composition with minimal highlights for this image. This is also my first real attempt at rendering vegetation with paint. I still need to add more ground clutter and texture to the foreground and around the edges of the pool of water. I'll also be drawing some deer at the water's edge for scale.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Hello, I hope it's appropriate to post a question regarding my Cintiq companion hybrid and clover paint here. I got both yesterday and I'm kinda clueless when it comes to importing files from my Cintiq to my computer. I saved a picture I made as a PSD-file in clover paint, but I'm only able to find it in the gallery section of the program. I have no idea exactly where the file gets stored on my Cintiq. Later when I connect the Cintiq to my computer and select one of the options to import files to my computer, nothing is found. I'd just like to be able to continue working on my image in Photoshop and I'm getting kinda frustrated. To whomever has any clue what to do, you have my gratitude.

Edit: Thanks for helping out! Managed to find the files and uploaded them to Dropbox.

SirJohanna fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 11, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
OK, Clover (on android, samsung galaxy) wants the File > Export > Export as PSD. It should then be in the Root/Storage/[SDcardX]/cloverpaint subfolder. The save button, long-pressed, opens into 'save as' if you want somewhere else. I usually use ES file explorer to then copy that into either Dropbox or the Public folder on my desktop. The reverse should work, using File > Import > Import from PSD in Clover.

I'd really recommend this guide. Generally, if you're not sure, try long-pressing the closest thing you can find. :)

e: The gallery app sucks rear end on android, and I don't know why Clover uses it for dialogs. :shrug:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 11, 2015

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Just finished a sketch for a valentine's day project. All the WoW talk got me reminiscing I guess.

edit: Got bored, so I coloured it.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 11, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Haven't posted in the daily threads in forever.

Recently went through many years of work to put on my Art Station page. Realized a lot of the work I posted here first or in the 3d thread so I thought it would be OK to share. If the OP thinks it is inappropriate, feel free to delete.

Kind of cathartic going through almost 10 years of work.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Looks like I'm accidentally on topic, was doing some expression studies and was having so much fun i just kept going, pretty happy with these

(accidentally huge click at own risk)

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

A piece for my portfolio. I'd love to illustrate kid's stuff, among other things. This is based on an older sketch and was painted in Paint Tool Sai.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I'm not great with human faces, but I made some cheerful (and derpy) drawings. Sorry for the low-quality pics, all I have is an iphone camera and pencil/paper.

I made my New Years resolution to draw every day and I'm starting to see results! I feel pretty happy with my progress so far, but I want to keep getting better.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 11, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
same

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

felat posted:

I don't think this guy is cut off for a life of dungeon exploring.

The instant I saw this I heard a high-pitched squeak/scream in my head.

Oh god please tell me he's telling that to his other head. This has everything a valentine's card should have: pink, a flower and a bad pun. Perfect.

Like a sweet little marshmallow for the eyes :3: Amanita mushrooms are the prettiest mushrooms and I love seeing them.

I love this cheery little dude! You captured the essence of "yayyyy". Whenever I'm feeling down, I try to draw the derpiest creatures to cheer myself up. That, or dicks. Thanks for not drawing derpy dicks.

I wanted to do a really primal sort of orc showing fear-agression. Made the lines rougher than usual, tossed the colour on and WALLA!

Could've still gone coarser, I think.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

SirJohanna posted:

A piece for my portfolio. I'd love to illustrate kid's stuff, among other things. This is based on an older sketch and was painted in Paint Tool Sai.

This is fantastic. Spot on for picture book illustration; soft lines and fluffy, cuddly shapes for the fox character. Using minimal shadows to define form brightens the image and gives it an airy, whimsical quality. I'm going to have to try this for some of my cartoon stuff.

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Looks like I'm accidentally on topic, was doing some expression studies and was having so much fun i just kept going, pretty happy with these

(accidentally huge click at own risk)

In a similar vein I really like these as well; the line work is really confident and minimalistic. You use just a few marks for the facial features but you use them to their fullest potential. Your sketches would be right at home in storyboards and sequential art. Do you do a lot of gestural drawing as well? If you have an online portfolio I'd really appreciate a link to the rest of your stuff.

Mr. Fedora posted:

I'm not great with human faces, but I made some cheerful (and derpy) drawings. Sorry for the low-quality pics, all I have is an iphone camera and pencil/paper.

I made my New Years resolution to draw every day and I'm starting to see results! I feel pretty happy with my progress so far, but I want to keep getting better.

Don't let up! Those drawings are cute as hell.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I wanted to do a really primal sort of orc showing fear-agression. Made the lines rougher than usual, tossed the colour on and WALLA!

Could've still gone coarser, I think.

Your style reminds me a lot of Guy Davis' work; I think it's the bold black lines and tight facial features. If you work more bold shadows into your figures I think it would really improve them.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Propitious Jerk posted:

In a similar vein I really like these as well; the line work is really confident and minimalistic. You use just a few marks for the facial features but you use them to their fullest potential. Your sketches would be right at home in storyboards and sequential art. Do you do a lot of gestural drawing as well? If you have an online portfolio I'd really appreciate a link to the rest of your stuff.

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately I don't really have an online portfolio as of yet, I'm working on getting a facebook page up but I've been in a bit of an artistic rut for a while but that seems to be changing.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Another expression. Facial expressions are a pretty literal interpretation of the theme, might try something else out next.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I like drawing pissed off faces.

This is pretty great!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Propitious Jerk posted:

Your style reminds me a lot of Guy Davis' work; I think it's the bold black lines and tight facial features. If you work more bold shadows into your figures I think it would really improve them.

To my shame, I had to google Guy Davis, then felt suitably flattered to be compared to that.
And you know what? You're right. I've been too light with my shadows, especially for dramatic pictures, when trying to leave room for colour.
Yeaaahhhhh more black, embrace the dark side, Luke.

Man, I still gotta work on this though.

It shows very well in the goblin pic that I became "blind" to the work while doing it. Those outlines looked mega dark, I could see so many different shades in the green and the flesh colour while I was painting it, that lipstick was an eye-searing neon colour, those pants nearly black. In the end though, it's so obviously flat. The shades that I was worried would be too dark turned out hardly midtone. That's what you get for staring at a screen for hours on end in a dark room.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

hey i'm following the theme for once

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Caveman Cat posted:

Theme, theme, theme.

I love the eyes!

Working on this one right now, some kind of alien biologist.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The gross eye was fun to draw but augh that hand. Augh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Someone hasn't been cleaning her contacts properly. Tut tut. ;)

• Locked thread