Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octahedron
Nov 12, 2011
I'm going to stop procrastinating and just post.

Quick newt study I meant to post for last month's theme.

Aaand another study.

SirJohanna posted:

A small wip of what I've been working on for the last couple of days. I'll probably add a few more deer in the background. Anyone got any suggestions or crits?

I like your idea for this scene, and the little fox character. Like others have mentioned too, I'm not super fond of the antler crossing the tree, and I think the tree between the deer and fox's head is kinda distracting as well - I think the easiest solution is to just remove both, unless you're particularly sold on them :v: - and I think you could also push your values further, as things are looking a bit flat to me. I did a quick paintover to better show what I mean (I hope that's ok!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Octahedron posted:

I'm going to stop procrastinating and just post.

Quick newt study I meant to post for last month's theme.

Aaand another study.

:eyepop:

This is all great stuff. You have superb control of light and shadow.

Not that I'm jealous or anything.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Propitious Jerk posted:

Maybe add more ground clutter and clone in a few more trees/ branches to fill in the forest, other than that it's looking good. The texture on the deer is great.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I love the colour scheme and the flowerbutt on the deer, but the left antlers are blending with the silver birch on the background. I'd maybe add juuuuust a little bit more warm tone to the tree, or add a darker shade to the "bottom line" of the antlers, or rethink the antler colour/texture.
I'm gonna disagree with Propitious on adding trees, I think there's plenty there for a sparse nordic scenery, especially if you're gonna bring in more deer as points of interest.

Octahedron posted:

I like your idea for this scene, and the little fox character. Like others have mentioned too, I'm not super fond of the antler crossing the tree, and I think the tree between the deer and fox's head is kinda distracting as well - I think the easiest solution is to just remove both, unless you're particularly sold on them :v: - and I think you could also push your values further, as things are looking a bit flat to me. I did a quick paintover to better show what I mean (I hope that's ok!)

Thank you all for the crits! Also I'm super in love with that paintover, looks awesome. I will definitely push the values further. And I'll do something about that distracting tree.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Propitious Jerk, your dragons are awesome, especially the shadow one.

Honestly though there's way too much amazing stuff to mention this month, you guys all rock and are super inspiring.

Thanks for the previous feedback, it was really helpful! In celebration of Expressions month, here's a bunch of completely expressionless people (people in cafes don't have emotion, I swear) and also the city of Sarajevo. Again sorry for the hilariously large images.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Chromebot needs no 'functionality', just a shitton of polishing. Done for lighting/chrome practise, pretty pleased for a non-referenced image.

e: Tannin, imgur has a resize option (under 'edit')if you're worried about image size. For me at least, it's not a problem, the forums keep them scaled down.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 21, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Propitious Jerk posted:

Starting the detail work for the shadow dragon. Added deeper shadows and highlights to the head to pick out detail and brought in some textures of rusted ship hulls to add more grit to the foreground and darken it.

The original rough. For comparison:

Like Reene, I think the eye could use a bit of work, but all I'd say is that the light could be pulled back a bit to give it more depth - still white-hot in the middle, but more clearly enanating from deep inside, more ethereal.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Octahedron posted:

This looks a lot better. It's hard to subtract work you've already put into a picture as an artist, but the framing here looks much more striking, and equally natural. SirJohanna, if you go back and touch this piece up, make sure that the trees have hue and saturation dependent on their distance; there's enough depth in the scene to make them really useful as reference for how far back the field stretches.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Got a head start on my Sunday project; an illustration for some custom goblin tokens for my mtg deck (because I am a big nerd). I wanted to play around with foreshortening on a character where I didn't have to worry to much about nailing proportions. Final will be carrying a lit torch and he'll have some bombs on his belt with the fuses lit.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

1. Oops, I forgot to give him a pose, how convenient.
2. I need to become bolder with my colors.
3. Does light even work lke that.
4. I should start reading Cucumber Quest again.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Propitious Jerk posted:

I wanted to play around with foreshortening on a character where I didn't have to worry to much about nailing proportions. Final will be carrying a lit torch and he'll have some bombs on his belt with the fuses lit.

Hah! The goblin/orc army will take over ALL arts! (Phylodox, where's the rest warcraft stuff? I need to see it!)

Curiously, I was just doing the foreshortening thing myself:

I wanted to try doing a backlit piece, 'cause I've never tried to do one before. That's a facefull of confusion spell you're looking at.

1. It looks like the swirly clouds are hugging him and he's all "no I'm huge and cool and no" :buddy:
2. You go any bolder, you gonna blind someone (seriously, the colours are nice and rich here)
3. Doesn't matter if it's a) magic or b) looks good

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was thinking of working on a Forsaken this week...

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Do a lady forsaken. They're the best. :buddy:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Seconding lady forsaken. Dead chicks rule.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Cleaned up line drawing for the goblin token. I recently bought Frenden's brush packs for photoshop and this is my first time giving them a whirl.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
That looks really good. Please tell me his weapon is a torch. It looks sort of like one. I just get this image of a goblin swinging a torch around while he has bombs with long fuses strapped to his chest, then he accidentally lights one and is flailing around panicking.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He already said that all the fuses are already lit.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Ah, I missed that.

but hey at least he successfully got the idea across then!

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Skwee posted:

That looks really good. Please tell me his weapon is a torch. It looks sort of like one. I just get this image of a goblin swinging a torch around while he has bombs with long fuses strapped to his chest, then he accidentally lights one and is flailing around panicking.

Bang on! Yeah the concept I started with was a goblin suicide bomber, I decided to give him a club and changed it to a torch late in the sketch phase. I like the idea of him using one of those wrought iron ones you see in castles to batter people out of his way as he runs towards his target.

Grieving Achilles
Apr 13, 2010
Haven't drawn in a long time, just did a couple of sketches today. Hoping to follow through with actually drawing every day.

Grieving Achilles fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 23, 2015

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Sharpest Crayon posted:

2. You go any bolder, you gonna blind someone (seriously, the colours are nice and rich here)

Thanks for the input. Looking back bold was a weird choice of words. I usually tend to go for a really desaturated and cold palette which is easy (colors tend not to clash), but not very rewarding I feel.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Partial colours for the goblin. Went with a fairly standard scheme, I'd say he's about 50 percent done.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
another page of expressions

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Propitious Jerk posted:

Partial colours for the goblin. Went with a fairly standard scheme, I'd say he's about 50 percent done.

I think it would be funny if you stuck a bomb right in his mouth.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Thing to be a poster. Imgur artifacted the hell out of it :ohdear:

Scathach fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Guys guys guys. I discovered the TRUTH. About EVERYTHING!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Guys guys guys. I discovered the TRUTH. About EVERYTHING!
Well I hope you brought enough acid for everyone, mr. Xenu. :crossarms:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

petrol blue posted:

Well I hope you brought enough acid for everyone, mr. Xenu. :crossarms:

Of course I did, sharing is caring! See above, Scathatch already got theirs.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh yes, I see it all now. Everything is beautiful.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

JamieTheD posted:

Another book I found on expressions that was kind of useful was Making Faces: Drawing Expressions for Comics and Cartoons. If you like case study type art-books, well, I find cartoon expressions a good place to start.

Got this yesterday. To say I disagree is putting it mildly.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that that's not a decent amount of content, not when 3/4 of the book is spreads like that. A few sentences per expression, and no discussion of why stuff does what it does.

Anyone want to buy an art book? :v:

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Ouch. All those draw-by-numbers books are pretty much useless and it doesn't seem like that particular example goes into theory at all. Hopefully it wasn't very expensive?

Anyways, came to post the finished goblin. Spent a lot of time adjusting his values. My initial pass was waaaaay too flat and the colours were off.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 24, 2015

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
If you want a good legit book on facial expressions, these are my two faves:

http://www.amazon.com/Facial-Expressions-Visual-Reference-Artists/dp/0823016714

http://www.amazon.com/Faigin-Artist...cial+expression

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

petrol blue posted:

Got this yesterday. To say I disagree is putting it mildly.
Anyone want to buy an art book? :v:
I had this book as a kid. I totally agreed.
Good reference book for face shapes. Not a good book to explain how to draw a face.

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

Troposphere posted:

If you want a good legit book on facial expressions, these are my two faves:

http://www.amazon.com/Facial-Expressions-Visual-Reference-Artists/dp/0823016714

Oh boy, I was not a fan of that book and shelved it immediately after getting it. It was more of a reference in bad facial acting and I wish I'd paid more attention to the Amazon reviews.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It was a tenner. ($22.99, CAN$27.99) Not horrific, but enough that buying it was a treat for me. Thing is, I bought it because I mentioned it'd come up to my mum (textile artist), who said one of her mates had raved about it. Maybe she was thinking of a different book, because (lemme count a sec..)

quote:

part 1: the fundamentals [ie: draw a circle] p14-38
part 2: scenarios [the pic i pasted. every page includes the 'draw a circle' poo poo] p38-140
part 3: storytelling [lines of action, yo] p140-p168

This is legit the worst 'art' book I've ever read, and I got started with some real poo poo. What pisses me off isn't so much that it's 'bad teaching', it's how obviously minimal-effort it is. poo poo, part of me is just jealous that I haven't kicked a nice pretty "Learn to draw good with a pigment in some easy steps*" book.

I think part of it is that books like this are just outdated as well - what might have been useful for more unusual expressions ('about to sneeze'), is pretty much redundant since GIS. I knew a guy growing up who swore by his (can't recall the name) book of 'everyday poses from many angles' - again, utterly redundant now. Copyright 2008? gently caress right off.

:colbert:

Also, this is not a rant at JamieTheD - everyone finds different books useful at different times, and so on.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

And yeah, most expression references I've found seem to be bad acting references rather than anything useful, which is why I like the book I linked in the OP since it goes into detail about how muscles of the face actually contort ect.

Anyway, today's theme for DailySketchChallenge on DA was Garnet from steven universe

both my kids love that show so I pretty much had to :p

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I don't venture into other CC threads, so I don't know if this is "old news" or not, but I just read about Astropad: http://astropad.com/ which turns your iPad into a screen for your apps, which means you now have a Cintiq for $49 (assuming you already have an iPad).

I plan on giving this a whirl after work today!

\/\/ Not on it's own, but there are many a pressure-sensitive stylus for it.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2015

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Does the ipad do pressure sensitivity? I'm not very familiar with tablets.

I've been in a bit of a creative slump today, so, for a change of pace I've been having a blast doing a few landscape sketches using the frenden pencil and ink brushes.

This is my most successful effort; about 20 minutes just randomly putting forms on a blank canvas.

Spent some more time cleaning it up and adding more depth.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 25, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Surprise! I tend to not share any cake.

I've been meaning to take a separate pic for sketch/first colour/shade&highlight/finish for the past three pics now. I get mega into what I'm doing though, and always forget.
I can't bake when I draw because "do I smell burning? there's no way it's been half an hour already.. oh. It has."

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Some quick, dirty concepts for this thing I'm fooling around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

I did a cheesecake. :ohdear:

• Locked thread