Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Being home from hospital is kinda great. I am enjoying a pilsner urquell on the deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

fjelltorsk posted:

I am enjoying a pilsner urquell on the deck

I get to do this in about 13 hours. :getin:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I should probably mention that its -3 C outside. No need for a cooler

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I woke up to 8 inches of snow, with 3-5 more due before I go to work tonight. Gonna be a fun drive in.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It's foggy as poo poo in Phoenix right now. I think it knows I'm moving to Seattle.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I didn't even realize it was February.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mariooncrack posted:

I didn't even realize it was February.

loving same, this year is already flying by.

Congrats on being out of the hospital, fjelltorsk!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Quite A Tool posted:

It's foggy as poo poo in Phoenix right now. I think it knows I'm moving to Seattle.

Seriously. At one point this morning I couldn't see the intersection that couldn't have been more than a hundred feet away.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I buy the same thing for breakfast and lunch for the entire week every Sunday. Every single thing I normally buy was on sale. I saved like $15.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm not dumb, but sometimes I am a goddamned idiot.

Got a set of photocell LED lantern-style lights to replace the ones we had on the front of the house. Three for the front. I took the first old one off, undid the wire nuts, undid the bracket, got the new bracket on, re-used the wire nuts and did white-white, black-black, bare-bare for the new fixture. Got it mounted and leveled, then turned it on... nothing. The other lights in the series worked (this was the second fixture in a series of four), but not this new one. Re-checked the wire nuts, everything was tight. Did that a couple times, dead tight. Thought that I might have a DOA fixture, so I took it inside and shoved the white and black wires into an outlet and it lit right up... wtf. So, I took it out again, re-tried the wire nuts, nothing, checked with a meter and it damned sure had proper voltage. Said "gently caress it" and cut the twisted wires back to where they were straight, stripped new wire ends and shoved them in push-type wire connectors. Pushed the new lamp's wires into the push connectors, everything's tight, no way this could go wrong now, right?

Again, nothing. So, I tried a different fixture, with no luck. Tried the second fixture inside and it worked straight away.

Then I figured it out and felt like a goddamned idiot. What did I miss?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably taking a piece of packing material off the photocell, installing the bulb/led module, or turning the breaker on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I replaced an outlet once thanks to forgetting that the light I was using to test it was also photocell controlled. :downs:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Probably taking a piece of packing material off the photocell, installing the bulb/led module, or turning the breaker on.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I replaced an outlet once thanks to forgetting that the light I was using to test it was also photocell controlled. :downs:

Yep, the damned photocell. Put my hand over top of it and the light came on straight away. I probably redid a perfectly fine install at least 5 times, with much cursing and an extra helping of mad. :{

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Besides the insane delays driving to work I love driving in the snow. Blizzards or just freshly fallen, I like how a lot of the road/tire noise quiets down and youre forced to take a leisurely pace.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My daughter and I made a thing.

It was fourth fastest. Not too shabby considering we weren't building for speed.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

hello february

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I guess I'm going to F1 this year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

My daughter and I made a thing.

It was fourth fastest. Not too shabby considering we weren't building for speed.

How far did you go with your prep? Did you polish the axles? There's a crazy amount of tweaks people will go to for soap box derby cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Found another one. How would you like 1 of 500 italian supercar with a targa top?

http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/32054264?searchId=997050920

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

How far did you go with your prep? Did you polish the axles? There's a crazy amount of tweaks people will go to for soap box derby cars.

Yes, deburred and polished the axles, then graphite lube. Given the nature of the pixel-art based design, there were issues at the hubs on the front wheels. We were exactly at 141.2 grams thoigh, so that was good.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The head of engineering at my job cnc milled his kids pinewood derby cars, turned the wheels on a lathe to shave them smoove and did some trickery with nylon bushings that is illegal now I guess

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Found another one. How would you like 1 of 500 italian supercar with a targa top?

http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/32054264?searchId=997050920

I don't know about supercar, but I didn't know they were that rare. A friend of mine's dad had one when we were in grade school. FERRARI ENGINE YO (That was the claim back in the day... inaccurate, but tangentially related). Also, I don't think that's an '88, probably '82 is more like it?

trouser chili posted:

Yes, deburred and polished the axles, then graphite lube. Given the nature of the pixel-art based design, there were issues at the hubs on the front wheels. We were exactly at 141.2 grams thoigh, so that was good.

Yep, sounds like reasonable prep for a fast car. Nicely done!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 1, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I don't know about supercar, but I didn't know they were that rare. A friend of mine's dad had one when we were in grade school. FERRARI ENGINE YO (That was the claim back in the day... inaccurate, but tangentially related). Also, I don't think that's an '88, probably '82 is more like it?

Yep, sounds like reasonable prep for a fast car. Nicely done!

That's the special edition. black and gold paint, black and gold wheels. there were about 9300 zagatos made, only 500 special edition.

come on, italian, designed by pinninfarina, built by zagato, based on a lancia, engine by fiat.

The only way it could get more italian is if it was on fire.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

That's the special edition. black and gold paint, black and gold wheels. there were about 9300 zagatos made, only 500 special edition.

come on, italian, designed by pinninfarina, built by zagato, based on a lancia, engine by fiat.

The only way it could get more italian is if it was on fire.

Probably only a matter of time until it is on fire. Plus, autotragic removes at least 80% of the Italian.

Haha, 0-60 in 12.5 seconds. Awesome.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fjelltorsk posted:

Being home from hospital is kinda great. I am enjoying a pilsner urquell on the deck

Is this like a Steve Urkel?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There should be an adult pinewood derby where the only restriction is size. Rocket motors, etc should be allowed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're already under a foot of snow with more on the way. Good thing I don't have to be anywhere until Tuesday.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm already looking at ways to tune the om617a for better performance

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You know you are up early (4:30am) when the cat takes one look at you, gives you a look as if you are nuts and promptly goes back to sleep. Not sure why, the cats know quite well that's about my usual time on weekdays.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quit hogging all the snow you guys. We need it up here bad, its like a shittier spring since we get the huge temp swings and crappy roads from all the thawing and freezing and there isn't enough snow anywhere to enjoy sliding around in an empty parking lot.

This season is bunk.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

The head of engineering at my job cnc milled his kids pinewood derby cars, turned the wheels on a lathe to shave them smoove and did some trickery with nylon bushings that is illegal now I guess

Par for the course for engineer dads. Between my brother and I, my dad (aerospace engineer) was pretty proud of a few years straight of wins in our immediate scout troop.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

rscott posted:

I'm already looking at ways to tune the om617a for better performance

The beauty of a diesel is that performance is a much simpler matter. Add more fuel until it starts smoking, then add more boost to get your efficiency back and get your EGTs under control, rinse, repeat until you start breaking things or run out of money (though of course, most people go way fuckoff overboard on the first step and skimp on the second step because ROLL COAL BRAHHHHHH).
The problem is that 'more fuel' in a mechanical diesel past the point of 'turn the fun screw' means fiddling with the IP, which means $$$$$ at an injection shop- and IP internals are not something you can do in your garage because they're insanely precise pieces of equipment. Like, sub-1-thou clearances and 'one invisible dust particle can kill the pump' type stuff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Flying to San Antonio for a week in the morning on business. I loving hate San Antonio. The entire city smells like feet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Quit hogging all the snow you guys. We need it up here bad, its like a shittier spring since we get the huge temp swings and crappy roads from all the thawing and freezing and there isn't enough snow anywhere to enjoy sliding around in an empty parking lot.
It's been snowing here for the last 18 hours but it has also been above freezing that whole time so the roads are just slightly slushy :(

Bajaha posted:

This season is bunk.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
TFR cross-postin. Went to a gun show today and got me an AK-47:

It's so cool I super like it :3:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tommychu posted:

The beauty of a diesel is that performance is a much simpler matter. Add more fuel until it starts smoking, then add more boost to get your efficiency back and get your EGTs under control, rinse, repeat until you start breaking things or run out of money (though of course, most people go way fuckoff overboard on the first step and skimp on the second step because ROLL COAL BRAHHHHHH).
The problem is that 'more fuel' in a mechanical diesel past the point of 'turn the fun screw' means fiddling with the IP, which means $$$$$ at an injection shop- and IP internals are not something you can do in your garage because they're insanely precise pieces of equipment. Like, sub-1-thou clearances and 'one invisible dust particle can kill the pump' type stuff.
Yeah that's what I've read as well. Apparently if you disable the over boost protection (and install a pyrometer to make sure egt don't go overboard) and turn the fun screw out it's possible to make some more power without affecting the fuel economy too much

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If possible, could I get some input? I've decided that the current RX-7 club website is not cutting it. The previous admins haven't touched it since 2013. I've made one pass already but want many more fresh sets of eyes on it. What can be changed to make it better? [RADL assemble?!]

http://edmontonrx7club.com/

Content, layout, etc...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Adiabatic posted:

TFR cross-postin. Went to a gun show today and got me an AK-47:

It's so cool I super like it :3:

Romanian?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

We're already under a foot of snow with more on the way. Good thing I don't have to be anywhere until Tuesday.

Wish I didn't. Running a fever thanks to a sinus infection all weekend, just dug out the driveway to move my roommate's lovely little Toyota sonce he parked behind my Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So speaking of poo poo that's awesome, saw this just now:

NC vanity tag: MINE'S R32 :swoon:

• Locked thread