Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jammyozzy posted:

Work requires every team to come up with at least 2 health & safety concerns a month as part of our new bullshit daily reporting meetings. That's every team, regardless of whether they're on the machine shop floor, test house of firmly rooted in an office like my team.

I think our higher ups are disappointed that the only safety concerns we can come up with each month are wet leaves outside the door and noxious odours permeating the air from one particular desk.

We do this, it's called a safety share, where you share with the team something you've observed or heard about that can improve safety. I get that it sounds completely masturbatory, but in the minerals industry, ignoring safety usually comes with a body count, so it matters. We're office-based at this time of year, because either it's a million loving degrees or wet season anywhere we want to explore, so there's not a lot going on safety-wise.

We just had our budget loving massacred though, this year we're down to $45million from $68million in 2014. There have been a few voluntary redundancies already, hopefully with that and scaling back* our drilling programs on our land in Queensland and South Australia we can pull through without shedding too many mroe numbers.

*cancelling alto-loving-gether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had an old pinion gear and a carrier + ring gear + spider/side gears on my desk (sitting on end in the bearing race, my coworkers would spin it as they walked by) at one point at work, ended up putting the pinion gear on top of my bookshelf. This loving obnoxious arch sperg who always made a point of walking by my desk and staring pointedly at me through his cokebottle glasses immediately decided that was his cue to bring 3 safety vest and hardhat wearing safety team personnel by my desk for a discussion about safety. He claimed the pinion gear could fall off the bookshelf and hit someone... to which I noted it might if we were in California and had 5.0 earthquakes occasionally, but that it was going absolutely nowhere how it was because it'd roll in a circle and stop against something in either direction. He went full :spergin: and I ended up just putting a goddamn bulldog clip on the oil slinger so it couldn't roll in either direction. Safety people thought the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous (they were literally rolling their eyes) and called that loving good enough and adjourned the meeting immediately.

This was all in a cubefarm. Hazards my rear end, go bother someone else.

The pointed staring became an outright glare, which only made me :smug: more.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oh yeah I'm not disagreeing with the system itself, just the "you must find at least 2 safety issues a month" part applied to every single department. It's gotten to the point where we raised the board we track these things on as a fire hazard to have something to write down.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Memento posted:

We do this, it's called a safety share, where you share with the team something you've observed or heard about that can improve safety. I get that it sounds completely masturbatory, but in the minerals industry, ignoring safety usually comes with a body count, so it matters.

Wife's a geologist, and this is the loving truth. Her mines been pretty damned good - smallish mine, and up to, I think, 5 million man hours with no lost time incidents. But the industry is closely connected up here, so she gets info about accidents at all the other mines. There's at least a few people die every year, often to completely preventable things. Which is why it bugs me so goddamned much I can't get hired at the mine, and yet chronic alcoholics still show up and have jobs.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I ate way too much dip last night during the game and I am paying for it now.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's the behaviour of a stressed out, unhappy cat. Get a cat behaviourist and find out what's stressing the animal out. Most likely the cat needs some private space, or an elevated perch where she can go when she needs space away from the kids and/or dog.

I've had this cat since 1998, he's just an rear end in a top hat. Over the last year or so we've got him using the catbox again, which is nice. Unfortunately the only place he's willing to use it is the dining room, and he loves to take a poo poo whenever I'm eating dinner. Buying him toys results in toys he won't play with, buying him scratching posts results in an unused scratching post and a torn-up couch. He's just an rear end and there is nothing I can do about it except tolerate him until he dies. Unless I want to dump him but I'm unwilling to do that given his age and lack of adoptability.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
On a 10-scale how stupid is buying a 10-15 year old GTI with a VR6 and over 100k miles? I have a buddy who has a mkIV VR6 GTI and I really like it, but the ask/tell VW thread is basically the scariest thing to read and has made me very gunshy about owning a VAG product.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I have no experience with older VW, but I can tell you my 2014 JSW TDI already does....things. About to hit 20,000 miles so it'll go in for a service and I'll make sure they know what I've been experiencing, but I've got no hope they'll actually find and correct a drat thing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My buddy had a 2004 Jetta GLI VR6 and it was nice as hell.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Shouldn't February be Black Car Appreciation Month?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

Shouldn't February be Black Car Appreciation Month?

That's colorist.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Well I'm sorry but I just don't like yellow cars.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had a 95 GTI VR6 for a long time and it was pretty reliable after I did the timing chains/head gasket and clutch (since you have to remove the trans to do the chains). I dont think the 24V ones (2002-up) have the timing chain or head gasket problems though. Still a VW though and if you like fixing stupid little things all the time then go for it.

fake edit: VR6s sound incredibly awesome and are pretty torquey and fun

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So does anyone have a good resource for info on completing a H22 swap into a forth-gen Accord. I know it's not terribly complicated but I'd like to put together a parts list and gather pricing. Otherwise I'm stuck wading through Honda-Tech and cb7tuner I guess.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=126672

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I ate way too much dip last night during the game and I am paying for it now.

Me too, I gained 3lbs from it and water retention because of it's saltiness. Back to healthy poo poo for this guy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone have any car related plans for their tax refund? I have some deep dish rear wheels sitting in my basement so Im gonna use part of my $1200 to get some tires for them, and then throw the rest at my car loan. Should be paid off within the next month or two.

Then I can focus on my credit card debt. :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

Dogs want to be your best friend., cuddle buddy and force you to exercise. They're the best pet. :colbert:

My wife had to have a dog, then it grew to 2. Meanwhile we had 3 cats and we have 1 rear end in a top hat dog that loves to chase cats. Needless to say I don't get to see the cats that often anymore because they hide whenever possible. With that in mind, I loving hate dogs now, because they want to invade my space constantly and nudge my hands with their cold/wet noses while I'm trying to do anything. Cats on the other hand, I can call over, pet for a few moments, then tell them to gently caress off and it's a mutual respect.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cage posted:

Anyone have any car related plans for their tax refund? I have some deep dish rear wheels sitting in my basement so Im gonna use part of my $1200 to get some tires for them, and then throw the rest at my car loan. Should be paid off within the next month or two.

I am probably gonna shunt it all straight into my one remaining student loan.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

keykey posted:

My wife had to have a dog, then it grew to 2. Meanwhile we had 3 cats and we have 1 rear end in a top hat dog that loves to chase cats. Needless to say I don't get to see the cats that often anymore because they hide whenever possible. With that in mind, I loving hate dogs now, because they want to invade my space constantly and nudge my hands with their cold/wet noses while I'm trying to do anything. Cats on the other hand, I can call over, pet for a few moments, then tell them to gently caress off and it's a mutual respect.

I'm sitting here with an 80lb coonhound laying on my lap, my ancient miniature dachshund crammed against my thigh, and a cat on my shoulder. Honestly couldn't be much happier.

Different strokes. I love my dogs wanting attention and to be close.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

I have bike(s) related plans. :kimchi:

Seems like I pissed off my left knee on the sf trip. If the poo poo doesn't cut I'll be caning it again. fuuuuuuuuck.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

cursedshitbox posted:

I have bike(s) related plans. :kimchi:

Seems like I pissed off my left knee on the sf trip. If the poo poo doesn't cut I'll be caning it again. fuuuuuuuuck.
I should've said AI related plans. Whatcha getting?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I reeaaaaally want the RC390.

and/or a supermoto wheelset for the tractor.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

and/or a supermoto wheelset for the tractor.

Glad I'm not the only one drooling over that bike.

Aren't you super tall?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cage posted:

I might be able to get a few hundred allocated to parts, but the majority of it will be going to a new bed and then towards a vacation this summer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
More :coal: stuff:

Sifting through Limestone data to further resolve our limestone entry point. The data point we used was the percent feed to the silo, which is a bit upstream of the boiler. I'm now bumbling through a shitload of data on discrete output (ON or OFF) on valves, pumps, and fans, and any kind of analog flow data (mostly 0%-100%) at the fans, pumps, valves, etc, to get better resolution of the exact time limestone hits the boiler.

Also creating some relationships between the time deltas of Coal and Limestone feed start, coal feed start and start of steam throughput to the turbine, coal feed start and MegaWatt generation start, as well as a whole range of temperatures (bed, input, stack, silo) at those critical points.

Essentially, we're throwing relationships between random poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. :eng101:

All that stuff is for 2 of the 15 boilers I'm standardizing. Each of the sites (and a lot of the time different boilers at the same site) do things differently, so looks like I'm tailoring data books for each one individually :v:

Also we're compiling emissions data for 4 of the boilers close to where I live, where we're creating some super weird relationships that all pertain to air/fuel ratios (stoichiometry) and Close-Coupled & Separated Over-Fire Air systems (CCOFA & SOFA) for use in eliminating NOx emissions.

Trying to make a field trip out to the power plant tomorrow. It's always cool getting to see the actual stuff you're data monkeying.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

Anyone have any car related plans for their tax refund?
If I get a refund this year it's most likely going towards a 2-post lift for the garage. I just need to sit down and make sure it will actually fit how I think it will fit.

cursedshitbox posted:

RC390 does look sweet. If I was still riding every day I would be thinking about picking one up for commuter duty. I still plan on test riding one.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

fjelltorsk posted:

Being home from hospital is kinda great. I am enjoying a pilsner urquell on the deck
Congrats, you deserve it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cage posted:

Aren't car loans usually about 3% interest, while credit cards are 10-25%? I've only carried a balance on my card once, and even that one month caused me considerable rear end-pain when I looked at the massive interest I'd accrued.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Pham Nuwen posted:

Aren't car loans usually about 3% interest, while credit cards are 10-25%? I've only carried a balance on my card once, and even that one month caused me considerable rear end-pain when I looked at the massive interest I'd accrued.
Well, I bought a 10 year old car so its not actually a car loan, its a personal loan. Both my loan and credit card are 8% but I still have 0% apr on the card for a few months.

edit: Though you're right I should still pay the credit card first, I can knock out that debt completely because there's less money on there, I might as well do that.

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cage posted:

Well, I bought a 10 year old car so its not actually a car loan, its a personal loan. Both my loan and credit card are 8% but I still have 0% apr on the card for a few months.

edit: Though you're right I should still pay the credit card first, I can knock out that debt completely because there's less money on there, I might as well do that.

Oh well that makes more sense, I was just scratching my head because usually you get dicked hard on credit cards while dealer loans are pretty decent.

I'm working on paying off my student loans, starting with the highest-interest ones. IIRC I've got something like $14k left and I'd like to pay it off before summer (when my wife becomes a grad student and our income correspondingly drops)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Glad I'm not the only one drooling over that bike.

Aren't you super tall?

5'11" with a mega motherfuck of inseam and torso.

I can flatfoot my 36" tall tractor. :smugdog:

I'm afraid the RC390 is going to end up like my fzr and just crushing my knees/spine

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Complete strut assemblies all the way around for my Camry as well as tires and an alignment, couple of little things for the Miata and tires and an aftermarket rear shock for the scooter.

The Camry currently has lovely Chinese tires that are terrifying in the rain and they need to go asap.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Soooooo remember the blind cat I posted about at the end of the last thread? She started eating, drinking and familiarizing herself with my patio. Even played a little.

Dead of night my phone rings. It's the owner responding to my complete shot in the dark Craigslist ad. She escaped 4 weeks ago, crossed 2 major 6 lane roads and a rain soaked weekend to my porch a week ago. Owner posted on a local FB group for lost pets. I don't use Facebook very much so never thought to check there. She never thought to check Craigslist. Her friend found my ad and forwarded it to her. Just got done getting the cat back to her.

Holy. loving. poo poo. Slight hope in humanity restored. I guess not all 3 A.M. phone calls are bad. :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 2, 2015

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cage posted:

Should probably pay the CC debt down first, but whatever. My plans are to cry because I'm gonna owe money. I had to accept 15.5% cash-dividend late last quarter 2014 and I wasn't expecting it to come in so high, so I've got that money socked away waiting for the fed to demand it's cut.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm only getting $180 back between federal and state since I own nothing and know how to set up a W-4.

Hot date? Go snowboarding?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

I'm only getting $180 back between federal and state since I own nothing and know how to set up a W-4.

Hot date? Go snowboarding?

How much dildo can $180 buy you?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Soooooo remember the blind cat I posted about at the end of the last thread? She started eating, drinking and familiarizing herself with my patio. Even played a little.

Dead of night my phone rings. It's the owner responding to my complete shot in the dark Craigslist ad. She escaped 4 weeks ago, crossed 2 major 6 lane roads and a rain soaked weekend to my porch a week ago. Owner posted on a local FB group for lost pets. I don't use Facebook very much so never thought to check there. She never thought to check Craigslist. Her friend found my ad and forwarded it to her. Just got done getting the cat back to her.

Holy. loving. poo poo. Slight hope in humanity restored. I guess not all 3 A.M. phone calls are bad. :v:

Cheers for doing a majorly good deed! That's heartwarming to read.

Edit;
This is Dizzy. I adopted him after rescuing him from a window-well one late October, right before a cold-snap. He was just a tiny kitten at the time. He approves.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 2, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ozmiander posted:

How much dildo can $180 buy you?

This many http://www.pbfcomics.com/266/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug