Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

gileadexile posted:

Sitting at work using the indeed app to look for other jobs in my area. How much would I hate internet sales, or car concierge at a local dealership?

Internet sales is great if you're into soulless monotony, answering dumb questions, and constantly dealing with flaky and combative people.

Seriously though, Internet sales could be really awesome or really awful. It all depends on how the dealership has that department structured. I'd say you should at least check it out and see if it's a good fit for you.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Not how many, how MUCH.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Soooooo remember the blind cat I posted about at the end of the last thread? She started eating, drinking and familiarizing herself with my patio. Even played a little.

Dead of night my phone rings. It's the owner responding to my complete shot in the dark Craigslist ad. She escaped 4 weeks ago, crossed 2 major 6 lane roads and a rain soaked weekend to my porch a week ago. Owner posted on a local FB group for lost pets. I don't use Facebook very much so never thought to check there. She never thought to check Craigslist. Her friend found my ad and forwarded it to her. Just got done getting the cat back to her.

Holy. loving. poo poo. Slight hope in humanity restored. I guess not all 3 A.M. phone calls are bad. :v:

You're a good person. Thank you for helping that cat out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, just dropped the wife off at the airport. She's going home for a couple weeks before she starts school.

I just got back home, walked in, and was instantly bored.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wonderful parts I ordered last Monday that got delayed with the weather arrived. Or at least the box they were in arrived. Whoever packed it up didn't seal the box so I have an empty box and it's now been a week waiting on two loving axle nuts.

Just gets better and better :suicide: I just want to put my car back together.

edit: at least FCP Groton has good support, shipping out a set tomorrow expedited. Still can torque my stupid axles tonight.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 2, 2015

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

CommieGIR posted:

First Mortgage payment! :smithicide:

I am looking a a few houses this week, but I'm not sure how much I want to sell off some things to get the rest of my down payment money and take the leap into home ownership again. The interest rates are still low and so is the market so I know it is a good time to buy. But it will take a chunk out of the race car fund for sure.

Also I have an interview for the new job in the morning so hopefully I can squeeze another $5-$10 an hour more than I make now out of them, which would make things easier.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Holdbrooks posted:

I am looking a a few houses this week, but I'm not sure how much I want to sell off some things to get the rest of my down payment money and take the leap into home ownership again. The interest rates are still low and so is the market so I know it is a good time to buy. But it will take a chunk out of the race car fund for sure.

Also I have an interview for the new job in the morning so hopefully I can squeeze another $5-$10 an hour more than I make now out of them, which would make things easier.

Because I know you're clearly ASKING for my advice ( :v: ) but if you're thinking about jumping ship to a new job, wouldn't it be a better bet to wait until that's settled down a bit?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CommieGIR posted:

First Mortgage payment! :smithicide:

Just 359 more of those and you've arrived! It's depressing to consider how long it's going to take which is why we intend to pay it off in the next 10 years.

I turn 30 this month. Reflecting on my life's achievements so far and I'm pretty pleased with how things have gone this far. I'd like to think I haven't peaked yet so I am looking forward to bigger and betterer things and enjoying what I have now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, which is also why we jumped on buying now. Took a chunk out of my college fund though, so no school this semester.

Its been worth it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Soooooo remember the blind cat I posted about at the end of the last thread? She started eating, drinking and familiarizing herself with my patio. Even played a little.

Dead of night my phone rings. It's the owner responding to my complete shot in the dark Craigslist ad. She escaped 4 weeks ago, crossed 2 major 6 lane roads and a rain soaked weekend to my porch a week ago. Owner posted on a local FB group for lost pets. I don't use Facebook very much so never thought to check there. She never thought to check Craigslist. Her friend found my ad and forwarded it to her. Just got done getting the cat back to her.

Holy. loving. poo poo. Slight hope in humanity restored. I guess not all 3 A.M. phone calls are bad. :v:

You are a good man and deserve good karma

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

ssjonizuka posted:

Because I know you're clearly ASKING for my advice ( :v: ) but if you're thinking about jumping ship to a new job, wouldn't it be a better bet to wait until that's settled down a bit?

Ordinarily you would be right but I would be going full time with my part time job and previous full time job. I have worked there for three years now and it's the same company that is buying my current hospital as well. So this is an opportunity to move up and skip all the integration and change over while I get more experience. Then I can move back down to the university in a couple of years when they get it all worked out in a couple of years.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Holdbrooks posted:

Ordinarily you would be right but I would be going full time with my part time job and previous full time job. I have worked there for three years now and it's the same company that is buying my current hospital as well. So this is an opportunity to move up and skip all the integration and change over while I get more experience. Then I can move back down to the university in a couple of years when they get it all worked out in a couple of years.

And thus, every person knows their situation more than some internet arm chair QB. Good luck then. P.s. buy that one you linked in IRC the other day. f-in sweet.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Siochain posted:

Wife's a geologist, and this is the loving truth. Her mines been pretty damned good - smallish mine, and up to, I think, 5 million man hours with no lost time incidents. But the industry is closely connected up here, so she gets info about accidents at all the other mines. There's at least a few people die every year, often to completely preventable things. Which is why it bugs me so goddamned much I can't get hired at the mine, and yet chronic alcoholics still show up and have jobs.

Wow, the idea of working on a mine with alcoholics utterly terrifies me. When we're in the office we get breath tested once a week, and when we're in the field or on-site at a mine it's every morning. A single test over 0.00 sends you home for the day, and two in the space of a month gets you a final written warning. Random urine tests are conducted on site for drugs as well, with a single positive reading being grounds for dismissal. 0.00 doesn't mean "no drinking ever" it means "you can have a couple of beers while writing up your notes after dinner and you'll be fine" so it's not too onerous.

When they implemented urine testing at a mine we deal with a lot (not one of our's) in Tasmania, they were testing both morning and afternoon shifts on the same day. One of the line managers overheard two afternoon shift guys joking about how they got their wives to piss in a cup for them so they would pass. Since then, it's been properly random between the shifts. The level for marijuana present in the system is allowed to be under 50ppm (or something, I don't know the units) with between 50 and 100 resulting in a blood test to confirm. If you'd puffed on a joint on Friday night you'd probably be fine for Monday morning depending on your size etc, so it's pretty sensitive. When they first implemented it, there were guys testing at 600-1000ppm, which basically means they got up, ate breakfast, sucked down half a dozen bongs and went to work. In an underground mine. Where you can constantly be at risk if someone's attention wanders or they don't react fast enough to something.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My tax return is going to be great this year. The last 6 have been pretty big (08-11 because I had a massive RSP going, and 12-13 because I was in school) but now I've got neither of those and I withdrew the RSPs on the LLP to go to school, so any contributions I make have to offset that- still better than dealing with a student loan though. I'm expecting a little bit back anyway, going to be boring and throw it at some random little debts.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

3 hours and 4 people later and our driveway is shoveled. My back hurts.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

I know that I first heard of this book here but I'm not sure if the availability was discussed. I was having a hell of a time finding one under $200 because people are insane. I never thought to check the publisher's website, they have them in stock!

Sorry for the potato quality, too dark in here.

Racer's edition
Pocket edition

Now to start reading them!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Holy gently caress the Bentley for the Audis is expensive. Cheapest I'm finding is $125

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Holy gently caress the Bentley for the Audis is expensive. Cheapest I'm finding is $125

That's the way it's always been... sadly Bentley is very proud of their material and, as of 10 years ago (last time I bought one), they were the only game in town with all the info.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

I was really hoping you were talking about a W12 swap for a minute there.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hey guys I have a football joke.

What's the difference between the Seattle Seahawks and Morally Inept?

Morally Inept didn't gently caress the dog in front of a million people.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Whoever designed the self adjusting parking brake rear VW/Audi calipers needs to be drug into the street and beat to death with said calipers. What an absolute pain in the rear end. Even with the (lovely) rental tool from advance I got one to work then fought with the other one for way too long then said gently caress it. Doesn't help I need every bit of travel out of the things so I can fit the pads. I should have known these would fight me every step of the way, same as on the TDI and they suck on that car too. FU VAG :argh:

Guess I'll watch Guardians of the Galaxy (awesome movie) again and do my taxes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Whoever designed the self adjusting parking brake rear VW/Audi calipers needs to be drug into the street and beat to death with said calipers.
gently caress the special tool, use slip-joint pliers on the body of the piston to turn it, gripping on the very end so as not to damage the surface that runs in the bore. Or a regular pin spanner in the slots on the end face. The combi "screw and spreader" tools are an utter oval office to do anything with.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Who loves food carts?
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/crime/2015/02/02/portland-food-cart-theft-case/22754319/

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

My company was purchased by an investment firm today, looking forward to "corporate re-structuring" in the upcoming weeks.

fuck2015.gif

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Korwen posted:

My company was purchased by an investment firm today, looking forward to "corporate re-structuring" in the upcoming weeks.

fuck2015.gif

In all seriousness though, that is sucky and I hope things work out for you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Meat theft is a skyrocketing thing here among our local druggies. There were a few homeowners who left their garages open and came home to find out that nothing had been taken except meat from their deep freezes. They raid local grocery stores too and just walk off with a shopping cart full of a few grand of meat.

Dunno who's buying that meat, probably distributed through a fence:

quote:

Police were called after a stolen Honda Accord was witnessed Monday afternoon fleeing a retail store, speeding through school zones, into oncoming traffic, onto sidewalks and over centre medians, before crashing into a chain-link fence near the Franklin LRT station.

A man was arrested and charged. Inside the car, police discovered an undisclosed quantity of meat.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/12/12/organized_retail_crime_taking_off_in_canada.html

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 3, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Meat theft is a skyrocketing thing here among our local druggies. There were a few homeowners who left their garages open and came home to find out that nothing had been taken except meat from their deep freezes. They raid local grocery stores too and just walk off with a shopping cart full of a few grand of meat.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/12/12/organized_retail_crime_taking_off_in_canada.html

Meatpimp's getting desperate

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

gently caress the special tool, use slip-joint pliers on the body of the piston to turn it, gripping on the very end so as not to damage the surface that runs in the bore. Or a regular pin spanner in the slots on the end face. The combi "screw and spreader" tools are an utter oval office to do anything with.
Yup, I'm grabbing the big rear end c-clamp and slip joints from work tomorrow and doing it that way. I thought maybe I would get lucky and it would work nicely for once which was a stupid thought. Doesn't help the rental tool was hosed up so it didn't rotate the thing as it pressed the piston. I could get it to work but I only mess with something so long before I say gently caress it.

Korwen posted:

Good luck, don't go too nuts and burn down the building.

Yay did taxes...owed $300. One of these years I'll remember to adjust things because it would be nice to get a little back just once. Still buying a drat lift if I can figure out how to make it fit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yup, I'm grabbing the big rear end c-clamp and slip joints from work tomorrow and doing it that way. I thought maybe I would get lucky and it would work nicely for once which was a stupid thought. Doesn't help the rental tool was hosed up so it didn't rotate the thing as it pressed the piston. I could get it to work but I only mess with something so long before I say gently caress it.
Unless they're seized (in which case rebuild 'em), you probably won't need the clamp. I've always found that just turning the piston, without pressing it down at all, winds it in just fine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nHKUAGyC8

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Korwen posted:

fuck2015.gif

poo poo man, keep a good attitude towards it all and you will probably come out fine. Same thing happened at my last hospital and now at the current one. The only people that didn't make the cut were the super outspoken ones that were super resistant to the whoel thing. Made them an easy target.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

So speaking of poo poo that's awesome, saw this just now:

NC vanity tag: MINE'S R32 :swoon:

I posted this on FB but god I want one so bad

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Unless they're seized (in which case rebuild 'em), you probably won't need the clamp. I've always found that just turning the piston, without pressing it down at all, winds it in just fine.

Didn't realize how they worked until a few minutes ago watching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPRNbn9bdJg I'm able to rotate it good enough so it's not seized, just needs me to be a bit patient and deal with it tomorrow. Have all the brake lines run so once I have that caliper on I can bleed the brakes on the whole car. One little step closer to completion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Korwen posted:

fuck2015.gif

Fuuuuuuucck.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

First thing I thought of.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If I was looking to get a pretty decent (not Maaco) paint job on my Midget, what kind of price range would be reasonable? I'm planning to call around but never having had a car painted before I'd like to have a baseline in mind.

Do they do it cheaper if I strip the old paint first?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm apparently getting a grand or so back this year, going to go into new shocks all around on the xj, probably do a short lift as well since my springs are questionable rusted to gently caress in the rear.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
gently caress yeah, concert with my brother tonight. Authority Zero, Less Than Jake, and Reel Big Fish in a pretty small venue (Masquerade in Atlanta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pham Nuwen posted:

If I was looking to get a pretty decent (not Maaco) paint job on my Midget, what kind of price range would be reasonable? I'm planning to call around but never having had a car painted before I'd like to have a baseline in mind.

Do they do it cheaper if I strip the old paint first?

A decent paint job for a car, depending on the paint and colour you choose, will probably run $3-5k or so. And no, don't strip it yourself because inevitably you will gently caress something up that will cost as much or more than what you saved stripping it in the first place.

• Locked thread