Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Advent Horizon posted:

...have a drill rig shipped on a goddamn barge to destroy our driveway for a GSHP to replace our oil furnace. We're guesstimating in the range of $30-45,000 for that project, which everyone should note is way loving more than anyone should really ever want to have around in their 'casual, blow this on the house' fund.

That seems like a ton of money for an in ground heat pump (that's what a GSHP is right?)... Why not just get an above ground heat pump, or poo poo, a high efficiency gas furnace. I want to say I paid ~$5k for a nice 95% unit installed 5 years ago. Are you in your lifetime house or is heating/cooling super expensive and thus that is in some way justified?

poo poo, you could get solar for that much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You can send her a picture of my butthole if you like.

Official AI Facebook Group: Even the village idiot gets it.

Gotcha. I'm the loving retard with the doughnut on my head.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bandman posted:

My ex wife...
Does she not feel the slightest bit of shame or embarrassment about being such a generic stereotype?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4 posted:

But are you who you say you are? :v:

I am annoyed. My beautiful organized front chassis wiring harness design has turned into a shitshow due to my own lack of planning. I may need to rethink this to make it properly neat and modular again. I mean, it will work and have minimal weight how it is, but it's not as organized as I was hoping... :spergin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

CG was definitely a spam account. One of my other groups gets 100+ join requests a day and it follows the same recipe as probably 50 of them, like STR said.

Figured it was, just wanted to play it safe and let someone else make that call, even though my entire soul was screaming spam.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Official AI Facebook Group: Even the village idiot gets it.

This is the actual link to the group if anyone is too lazy to search.

LloydDobler posted:

That reminded me of how much I love going to shows, and because I bought tickets online, I started getting the weekly concert update emails, and found tons of bands coming to town that I wanted to see. I ended up seeing a concert every month that year (Primus at Red Rocks? gently caress yeah!) and took my daughter to her first show at age 8 (Selena Gomez, who she has since grown out of thank christ). I only saw one or two for each of the following years, but last year I went to about 6, and this year I'm already going to 5 shows in March alone! It's pretty cool, some of my daughter's favorite pop/indy bands are touring together, so she's going to 3 of the shows with me and getting 5 favorite bands out of it. Then another buddy is coming to visit and we're going to see Magic Man (who I learned about right here in NMD) on Monday and The Gaslight Anthem on Tuesday the week that he's here.

I've seen Gaslight before, they put on a hell of a show.

The one time I saw Primus, it was a double set. No openers, it was 3 hours of just Primus with a 30 minute break halfway through. :swoon: I actually bought the official MP3 version of the show, though I lost it in a HDD crash - and can only find one of the 3 CDs I made of the show today. An ex and I went together, and he also had the same MP3 copy.. and also lost it in a HDD crash. :sigh: It's not something you can ever find even through the best :filez: sites, since it was a one-time recording from the soundboard sold through their website.

Three bands I would give almost anything to see: NOFX (seen them once, first concert I ever went to way back in 1995, but they pretty much never tour in the US anymore), Tool (somehow I've never managed to see them, though I did meet Maynard during a wine signing), and A Perfect Circle. I've seen pretty much every other band I ever wanted to see, even bands I loved in the 90s (Soul Asylum was one of my favorites in HS, and I actually got to see them in the mid 00s at a local music/arts festival). Even managed to see The Flaming Lips (if you ever have the chance, go see them, loving amazing show), and The Jesus & Mary Chain (both thanks to 35 Denton). Got to see Thurston from Sonic Youth doing his solo stuff at 35D as well, in 2013.

I've learned about so many indie bands thanks to 35 Denton, but this year they're doing mostly local or regional bands; the handful of others I've never heard of. :sigh: Indie, punk, and hardcore are my favorite genres (not in any real order), but I only recognize a couple of names at 35 Denton this year. Not enough to justify $100 and having to take 4 days off of work + find a place to stay. This will make the first NX35/35 Denton I've missed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 3, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

But are you who you say you are? :v:

Unfortunately :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm pretty easy to figure out. British cars every where.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've made no secret of my real name (Sean D). Plus I'm the one that shows "works for <pizza places>" in his profile. :v:

I gave up long ago trying to keep track of who is who for the most part; nearly half the people on my friends list are goons at this point (and of the goon friends, 99% of them are AI). There's a few regulars I'll BS with over Facebook IM, I just don't bother keeping track of who's who anymore.

e: maybe I should change my facebook profile photo to my avatar. :haw: I forget who gave it to me (devyl?), but if whoever gave it to me has a higher resolution version......

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

LloydDobler posted:

Do it. I was the same way, I used to go to concerts almost weekly when I was in my early 20's. Spent my late 20's and all my 30's not going.

Back in 2010, a buddy's favorite band (James) wasn't touring through his city but they came to Denver, so he flew here and I took him to the show. What's crazy is that James as far as I can tell is loving huge in the UK, they play in giant stadiums to tens of thousands of people, or at least they used to... here they played the Bluebird theater, to about 500 people. Was a seriously kick rear end show, they even dragged audience members on stage to sing along the final song, so my buddy got up and got to yell into the mic with the singer of his favorite band.

I did similar and pretty much accidentally stopped going to gigs till my sister convinced me to go with her to one as she had a spare ticket in 2009 (Gojira - who were awesome). I'm now back to 1 or 2 gigs a month.

James would indeed play big gigs over here, but I think it works that with quite a few big UK artists over in the US - and I guess also works the opposite way over here. If you see someone who is used to playing big places on one continent then you stand a good chance of getting a great gig when you see them in a smaller venue.

Do it Ken.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

I've made no secret of my real name (Sean D). Plus I'm the one that shows "works for <pizza places>" in his profile. :v:

Your the pizza girl. Get it right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Your the pizza girl. Get it right.

Speaking of get it right - "you're". :v:

And we'll leave my drag out of this.

Anyone who uses a Fitbit and shops at Walgreens should know Walgreens offers Balance Rewards for linking your Fitbit to Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices. It's completely automatic once it's linked. Looks like you're going to get about $5 in credit per month if you don't bother using any other stuff (blood pressure, weight, glucose, etc), at least going by the points I've earned. The Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices link isn't exactly something they advertise, nor is it easy to find. You get to redeem the points on purchases, though obviously they're fairly high priced on a lot of stuff (I only learned of this because my stepdad works for them).

It's kind of scary how many ways this stupid Fitbit has tied into social media. I use Endomondo for most fitness tracking, and I guess I linked my Fitbit account to it at some point - it's been reporting how many steps I take a day to my Endomondo (and therefore, Facebook) account for awhile. Gives me more motivation to actually get off my rear end though; down to 181 now, 26 pounds to go.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
So, I went back four pages and either missed the pick up thread or it never got started in the first place. I've been looking at the short bed ram expresses, and I remember reading on hear that they could be had for cheap. I'm cross shopping this with mustang gt's because I'm that guy. I drive a 2012 volvo s60 so the easiest way to put it, is I like to switch things up. Am I nuts? Should I even ask that here?

E: Or is that the most appropriate thing to ask here?

Scruffy the janitor fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 3, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nodoze posted:

I posted this on FB but god I want one so bad

Have you checked the OPJP page on facebook? They're importing/exporting a whoooooooooooole lot of cars and they're really really good prices. Skylines and such pop up so often it's almost boring now :v:

https://www.facebook.com/OPJPN?fref=ts

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Warped Tour tickets acquired.

Also a Type 2 diabetic who has to check his sugar at least 3x/day, and carry glucose tablets; only officially diagnosed for a year, but suspected for years.

Who wants to bet :10bux: on me getting a massive hassle at the gates? I've taken a DSLR in without even a raised eyebrow, I've walked through with several grams of weed without even trying to hide it (just rolled joints and put them in a pack of cigs), but I'm betting I get a massive hassle over having a single (sort of reusable) lancet and a glucose meter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Makes you wonder if anybody makes acid blotters that look like test strips.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sign me up STR, I'm the guy in the mining hat who just requested.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tide posted:

Not even the remotest bit AI, but my wife has asked (as if I have a choice) if her mother can move in with us temporarily. Not because of health or job issues.....per se......but because she and her sister (wife's aunt) can't get along anymore. the aunt is a miserable cuss of a woman and wife's mother is amazingly immature.

And bad with money and can't afford a decent place to live. She is capable of getting her own place if she would loving grow the gently caress up.

Granted if my parents needed a place to stay, if they had bad health issues, she wouldn't hesitate to open the doors to them. So in that respect, I feel like a total rear end for being filled with absolute dread that a) she is moving in and b) will likely never leave.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I?

On a scale of 1 to hosed: you are. My wife's best friend moved in with us for a couple months in October of last year. I was hard and a hell of a lot more strain on everybody in the house than we thought it would be. Patterns get disrupted, different living styles, different views on things, etc. It wasn't unbearable, but it was definitely hard. With your MIL moving in, that's a different thing entirely. You will always be wrong and you'll never be able to say anything. Get used to being a eunuch.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress shoveling snow. My back hurts so bad this morning. Work should be fun.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Not even the remotest bit AI, but my wife has asked (as if I have a choice) if her mother can move in with us temporarily. Not because of health or job issues.....per se......but because she and her sister (wife's aunt) can't get along anymore. the aunt is a miserable cuss of a woman and wife's mother is amazingly immature.

And bad with money and can't afford a decent place to live. She is capable of getting her own place if she would loving grow the gently caress up.

Granted if my parents needed a place to stay, if they had bad health issues, she wouldn't hesitate to open the doors to them. So in that respect, I feel like a total rear end for being filled with absolute dread that a) she is moving in and b) will likely never leave.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I?

11. Don't do it. Offer to help pay to put her up somewhere else or something, almost any alternative is better than this. If she can't handle her own life now, what makes you think it won't be a miserable affair when she lives with you?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Nothing beats watching the jerk-off "Fleet Manager" bury the F-350 plow truck in the snow at 7AM. Have fun getting that out.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
How hard is it to make an new Avatar? i kinda want a single tennisball hanging around....

removed most of the ridicilous bandage now, felt great getting a proper shower. Driving still hurts like a muddafukka tho

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I propose this:

Edit:

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The last few concerts I've gone to have kind of been lovely, not because of the bands themselves but because of other poo poo. Clutch and the sword were really good but I couldn't stand up for more than 30 minutes without my back locking up, before that I drove to Tulsa to see local h with a girl (who I ended up falling for really hard but she didn't feel the same) and my radiator hose burst on the way there. No one actually good comes through Wichita very often either, especially if it's not rock/metal. Need to just move to Seattle already :sigh:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

bolind posted:

I propose this:

Edit:

Thank you, Kind sir or Sirette

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got sent to a factory to add a couple data lines today. You have to get signed in with all the credentials before you can even enter the place. Neither the secretary at the door or our contact IT guy are even here today to walk the job or let us in past the lobby. Been waiting on this comfy leather couch for 20 minutes now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

Thank you, Kind sir or Sirette

Hahaha, awesome!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

11. Don't do it. Offer to help pay to put her up somewhere else or something, almost any alternative is better than this. If she can't handle her own life now, what makes you think it won't be a miserable affair when she lives with you?

You are 100 percent right, and I know this. But if I offer this solution, I expect my wife to fire back with "You really don't want her to live here, do you? Even temporarily?". And even though I expect she would be on my side of things (she doesn't want her mother moving in either), I'm not 100 percent sure she (wife) wouldn't be pissed at me about the suggestion.

I love how all this is coming about now that we're about to buy a larger house :tinfoil:

So here's the pickle:
1) Let her move in and be unobjectionable about it to my wife. Happy wife = happy everyone.
2) Suggest we help her (wife's mother) out financially with a place of her own. Possibility wife doesn't like this suggestion, and it back fires. Unhappy wife = unhappy everyone.

Just joined. I'm the one with the Titleist golf ball for an avatar.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 3, 2015

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That's a hell of a catch-22, and my nightmare. My GF's mom drives her absolutely nuts... so I'm pretty much guaranteed to be in your shoes at some point.

Joined the group. I'm the broke-rear end Al Bundy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My girlfriend's mother stayed with us for 5 days.

1. Drank every bottle in the house dry including mouthwash.

2. Got into a drunken shouting match with my neighbor.

3. Ransacked my desk ad found the $400 emergency fund I had tucked into an envelope.

I get steamed every time I think about it but she's dead so I immediately feel crappy for for getting pissed about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bandman posted:

I don't want to unfriend people because that makes it seem like I'm scared of her, so I'm just going on heightened radio silence. Nothing gets on my wall without my approval.

You are not unfriending her because you are scared, you are unfriending her because she's crazy and you don't need crazy in your life.

Don't respond. Block her number and sever.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Mat_Drinks posted:

That seems like a ton of money for an in ground heat pump (that's what a GSHP is right?)... Why not just get an above ground heat pump, or poo poo, a high efficiency gas furnace. I want to say I paid ~$5k for a nice 95% unit installed 5 years ago. Are you in your lifetime house or is heating/cooling super expensive and thus that is in some way justified?

poo poo, you could get solar for that much!

Our house was actually built with an air source heat pump - from what I hear it worked great above 32*F...in Alaska. We also don't have a gas system here; several of our appliances run on propane but Amerigas can suck my cock with their dollar a gallon fees. As soon as things die (or sooner!) I'm swapping them for electric. Since electricity is $0.118/KWh and diesel is still over $3.50/gallon here, I think you can see why I want a ground source system. With the tax credit my payback should be about 10 years.

As for solar, I looked into it. We're surrounded by tall trees and at the bottom of a valley with a 1700'+ ridge to the south. Aside from that, per the NREC maps we get about 2KWh/square meter of solar radiation per day, on average, which is the single lowest amount of anywhere in the USA :sigh: I'll probably add solar in 5 years if the prices continue their current trajectory, it just doesn't make sense now.

Back to concert chat.

Edit: or MIL chat- you said you were about to buy a bigger house, right? Maybe look at places with a MIL apartment?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Memento posted:

Wow, the idea of working on a mine with alcoholics utterly terrifies me. When we're in the office we get breath tested once a week, and when we're in the field or on-site at a mine it's every morning. A single test over 0.00 sends you home for the day, and two in the space of a month gets you a final written warning. Random urine tests are conducted on site for drugs as well, with a single positive reading being grounds for dismissal. 0.00 doesn't mean "no drinking ever" it means "you can have a couple of beers while writing up your notes after dinner and you'll be fine" so it's not too onerous.

When they implemented urine testing at a mine we deal with a lot (not one of our's) in Tasmania, they were testing both morning and afternoon shifts on the same day. One of the line managers overheard two afternoon shift guys joking about how they got their wives to piss in a cup for them so they would pass. Since then, it's been properly random between the shifts. The level for marijuana present in the system is allowed to be under 50ppm (or something, I don't know the units) with between 50 and 100 resulting in a blood test to confirm. If you'd puffed on a joint on Friday night you'd probably be fine for Monday morning depending on your size etc, so it's pretty sensitive. When they first implemented it, there were guys testing at 600-1000ppm, which basically means they got up, ate breakfast, sucked down half a dozen bongs and went to work. In an underground mine. Where you can constantly be at risk if someone's attention wanders or they don't react fast enough to something.

Its...not good at times. Thankfully no horrible accidents at her mine, but ones nearby have had issues. But, well, nothing will happen about it until something bad happens. Lots of drug use in the area to, but we're remote enough that nobody wants to live here...except they don't pay it or play it as a camp job, so they end up with lots of really lovely workers. I'm a farm kid, I can drive nearly anything that exists with a little training, and I'd love to work there...but I'm not a local, so its hard to get into it. I'd really love to hit Australia up for a few years, but the wife doesn't want to hahah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

As for solar, I looked into it. We're surrounded by tall trees and at the bottom of a valley with a 1700'+ ridge to the south. Aside from that, per the NREC maps we get about 2KWh/square meter of solar radiation per day, on average, which is the single lowest amount of anywhere in the USA :sigh: I'll probably add solar in 5 years if the prices continue their current trajectory, it just doesn't make sense now.

Don't forget cost of Deep Cycle batteries for your accumulation system.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Tide posted:

You are 100 percent right, and I know this. But if I offer this solution, I expect my wife to fire back with "You really don't want her to live here, do you? Even temporarily?". And even though I expect she would be on my side of things (she doesn't want her mother moving in either), I'm not 100 percent sure she (wife) wouldn't be pissed at me about the suggestion.

I love how all this is coming about now that we're about to buy a larger house :tinfoil:

So here's the pickle:
1) Let her move in and be unobjectionable about it to my wife. Happy wife = happy everyone.
2) Suggest we help her (wife's mother) out financially with a place of her own. Possibility wife doesn't like this suggestion, and it back fires. Unhappy wife = unhappy everyone.

Just joined. I'm the one with the Titleist golf ball for an avatar.

Point 1) will never happen. Tension will arise, tempers will flare, the entire dynamic you and your wife have as co-habitors will get altered, and literally no one will be happy.

Point 2) is guaranteed to raise some tension with your wife but it is unlikely to be lasting tension. It will not ruin your marriage. Option 1) has a non-zero chance of doing just that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend's mother stayed with us for 5 days.

1.Drank every bottle in the house dry including mouthwash.

2. Got into a drunken shouting match with my neighbor.

3. Ransacked my desk ad found the $400 emergency fund I had tucked into an envelope.

I get steamed every time I think about it but she's dead so I immediately feel crappy for for getting pissed about it.

Haha what the gently caress.

I love my mother in law, she is such a sweet woman but dementia is slowly taking over and it's hard to take. My poor wife is having a really hard time with it :smith:

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I've been looking at picking up a late 90's beater, something like a Corolla or maybe a Legacy.

A friend of mine told me it was a bad idea, and if I want something cheap and reliable I should look at mk4 Golf/Jettas.

Should I sever?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OneStopShop posted:

Should I sever?

Yes.

Your friend doesn't need that sort of negativity in his life.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

OneStopShop posted:

I've been looking at picking up a late 90's beater, something like a Corolla or maybe a Legacy.

A friend of mine told me it was a bad idea, and if I want something cheap and reliable I should look at mk4 Golf/Jettas.

Should I sever?

He is not your friend

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

bolind posted:

I can't even begin to imagine the luxuries that would have to be provided for me to pay £500 a night for a hotel room out of my own pocket.

Welcome back! :) Now go post in the AISS thread! :colbert:

I posted in the AISS thread, I did when I got my gift too!

I'm trying to get caught up on this thread, but it's difficult now that they blocked the forums at the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

some texas redneck posted:

The Flaming Lips (if you ever have the chance, go see them, loving amazing show), and The Jesus & Mary Chain

The Flaming Lips co-headlined the Primus show at Red Rocks. I like them but not as much as they like themselves. I think they've kind of drank their own kool-aid a bit, as they played "do you realize" two times, with huge extended versions, and practically begged for us to beg them for a third encore.

On the other hand, that was the tour where they didn't play their own material but instead played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety, of which they did an awesome job. It had lots of Wizard of Oz imagery playing on the giant screen behind them. They only played their own songs for the encores.

Jesus and Mary Chain are coming here in May, which sucks because the friend who's visiting me in March is a huge fan of theirs. I never quite got in to them so much but I might check it out anyway.

On a semi related note, Red Rocks Amphitheater is something for any music junkie to put on your bucket list. Just look at some of these pics: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...heater&imgdii=_

If you ever find out a favorite band is playing there, you should find a way to road trip it and see the show. The sound system is outstanding, and the scenery is breathtaking. Between Primus and TFL we got to watch a thunderstorm on the eastern plains over the top of the stage. I lived 5 minutes away from it for 10 years before I saw a show there and I regret letting those years slip by. The bummer is that it only seats around 9500 people, so neither huge artists nor small ones ever get to play there. Tom Petty played there last fall and they had to keep adding shows to get all the people who wanted to see him in there. I guess he was already planning to stay here for a weed week or something. Sold out 3 shows with a minimum ticket price of $125.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 3, 2015

• Locked thread