Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Ovie has a really magical ability to make defenses think he's someone else's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Trevor Bird posted:

ryan reaves is a dumb hockey player

That was only a penalty because the puck took a weird bounce hth

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I've seen teams try the follow Ovie at all costs strats and it doesn't work that well, it leaves way too much space for Backstrom and Green.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lobsterboy posted:

I will never loving understand how people can possibly leave Ovie open on EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED PP. Just roll 3on4 on the left and have someone stand in front of Ovie, you are dealing with the exact same ratio, and you dont get loving burned when they literally do the exact same loving thing every time. EVERY time.

Christ.

I know this gets said a lot, but the Caps whole PP revolves around creating those opportunities to get Ovi into said position to shoot. And they are really good at it. Tampa does the same thing with Stamkos.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Trevor Bird posted:

it's almost like they're thinking "we'll just take away the pass" and then they forget he's there after a few seconds and send 3 guys at mike green.

Pretty much. I watched the Jackets try to stop the pass on Ovie when he was out there for 2/3rds of a Washington PP, and it came down to guys floating back to the slot, pass to Ovie OH gently caress WHY DOES HE HAVE THE PUCK, then throwing themselves into the way of his shot. And then repeat that for another minute and change.

I can just imagine coaches going "HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING"

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Tokes you are not Carey, stay in the net please.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jesus christ, Tokes.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
tokarski dont do that!

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

Mike_V posted:

That was only a penalty because the puck took a weird bounce hth

motion still passes

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also god bless russia and their :filez: streams

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
That was not a good pass for a 3-1.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Furnaceface posted:

I know this gets said a lot, but the Caps whole PP revolves around creating those opportunities to get Ovi into said position to shoot. And they are really good at it. Tampa does the same thing with Stamkos.

Gunjin posted:

I've seen teams try the follow Ovie at all costs strats and it doesn't work that well, it leaves way too much space for Backstrom and Green.

I think both of these have the same kind of idea, try to give Ovie an open shooting opportunity over and over, but I'd say you should burn a defender guarding the guy who scores all of the goals over there, versus someone that could have a good shot.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
God drat, Peters pads might as well be a trampoline.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

If Ovie is marked man to man, Backstrom, Green and Johansen will cycle the puck until your goalie is dizzy and then put it in the upper corner from the point. You're generally better off just checking the poo poo out of everyone and clearing quickly

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
STOP THAT DUSTIN

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

:stare:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
my heart

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Someone run out there and tie Tokarski to the net Milhouse style. Please.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Has the team decided that 2 goals = automatic win or something?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
good pressure there

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Sekac is cool and good.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

quote:

‏@jprutherford 57s57 seconds ago

"@tomtimm: Shattenkirk has lower body injury, will not return. So I guess it's not a concussion." #stlblues

The all star break can eat my rear end in a top hat

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

fancy stats posted:

Has the team decided that 2 goals = automatic win or something?

Don't worry, it pretty much is against the Coyotes. They're something like 0-21-2 when trailing after 2 periods this season.

We are a bad team.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yellowcar posted:

also god bless russia and their :filez: streams

Is the game not on CityTV for you?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Is the game not on CityTV for you?

I don't have cable anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yellowcar posted:

I'm proud of you :)

But yeah, that sucks then.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

yellowcar posted:

Do you live in Montreal? Get a $15 antenna and its channel 62.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Do you live in Montreal? Get a $15 antenna and its channel 62.

Nope I don't!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Nevermind then!

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

what happened to shattenkirk

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Scob posted:

what happened to shattenkirk

Hit Ovie in the first, went to locker room

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Peters looked competent in all that.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
i think this is the last game for carter hutton for a while :pray:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

why is nbc trying to sell that kuznetsov play as smart? he should've shot when he had a good angle. he had an opening.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
tokes stay in net!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Gio posted:

why is nbc trying to sell that kuznetsov play as good? he should've shot when he had a good angle. he had an opening.

He made St. Louis look dumb for a second and then did nothing with it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress outta here backes

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Wow. Did not expect that.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Check Alsner for razor blades, he juiced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Shattenkirk out hurt and now I think Backes got his dumb rear end tossed for boarding.

• Locked thread