Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been at the one base for four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Well this drat ice storm in North Texas sucks rear end, trying to get to Keesler and the roads are just a mess. A 5 1/2 hr drive took a little over 7 hours to do and I'm only at the half way point, god I hope the road clear up for tomorrows trip. At least I'm going to make some good money on this, so far, lovely trip.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That sucks that you have to go to Keesler.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Heeeeheeee

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That sucks that you have to go to Keesler.

Better then Sheppard for 30 days and I'll make a grand or so on this trip.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Ragaman posted:

Who hasn't been to Korea though?

Mountain Home for life

We've known some people who have gone just to come back. I don't know how people like this wasteland. Plenty of beautiful areas in the state but nope, the town where the biggest attraction is the WalMart is apparently the tits.

One of the master sergeants in our flight was telling us that if we get out we'll be missing out on $700000 in retirement monies (over hella years). I'm waiting to see what other skullduggery they'll throw my way to get me to stay in.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

xaarman posted:

Heeeeheeee

This makes me feel a lot better about being a Navy noble.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I really hope that's real because I really hope someone seriously has "become an astronaut" as an official (tm) Air Force Goal.

e: That said, "become an astronaut" is the only not retarded thing on that slide. Maybe "test pilot" if that actually involved doing movie test pilot poo poo as opposed to suffering through TPS and then living in the Mojave Desert for the rest of your life flying really boring test profiles within an nth percentage of a knot or whatever.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 24, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

I really hope that's real because I really hope someone seriously has "become an astronaut" as an official (tm) Air Force Goal.

e: That said, "become an astronaut" is the only not retarded thing on that slide. Maybe "test pilot" if that actually involved doing movie test pilot poo poo as opposed to suffering through TPS and then living in the Mojave Desert for the rest of your life flying really boring test profiles within an nth percentage of a knot or whatever.

Test pilot is one of those jobs that sounds really cool until you find out what they actually do. My first squadron CO encouraged me to go to TPS and I told him I'd rather shoot myself. I became a tactics instructor instead. :negative:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I have one of those.

Mine isn't red, it's silver, but they're pretty common in the career field.

If I'm going to have some gay coins I might as well have one that has a stripper on it. I got mine from AFCOMAC (our primary "professional" school or whatever, it's not a schoolhouse technically because it's run by ACC so it's actually semi-worthwhile unlike anything associated with AETC). I assume those sales have stopped since the great AF professionalism purge.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah I can't imagine those are still in circulation. They SHOULD be, but whatever.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

did someone say terrible coin. (Tumblr link, trigger warning: military spouses)

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I'm at Osan as well, heading up to Yongsan in May and possibly Humphreys in the year. Supposedly we're finally moving comm poo poo out of Seoul for the turnover.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Prop Wash posted:

did someone say terrible coin. (Tumblr link, trigger warning: military spouses)

would be much more fitting if it was a chocolate wrapped coin

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

vulturesrow posted:

Test pilot is one of those jobs that sounds really cool until you find out what they actually do. My first squadron CO encouraged me to go to TPS and I told him I'd rather shoot myself. I became a tactics instructor instead. :negative:

both jobs sound equally awful tbqh, but people get off on either one, so whatev

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.
nnnnnnnnnngggghhhhhh TAAAACCTTIIICCSSSSSSssss

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I enjoyed working in the tactics shop. :cripes:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
I loved being the ISSO since I only answered to the commander despite the DO's efforts to corral me.

I rarely worked a full day.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tactics is cool because you work behind a vault and nobody bothers you and then you get fired because everyone else was inhaling commander dick at prodigious rates

also it's pretty fun sometimes!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

It's not a bad gig, at least in the Navy. Being a prowler guy I've done a lot of exercises with the air force, many of those being ME phase at Nellis. It's pretty funny how the various aircrew getting their patches seemed to fit our stereotypes of them so closely. And man the air force guys are brutal to the E3 guys in the debrief.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got a bigass bottle of Jack at a Red Flag debrief from that day's mission commander. :lol:

But yeah that dome is a loving target most of the time. If you ever get the chance to sit through a shot val do it. One of our big things was to no-poo poo write down ALL of our air-to-air related calls...threats, spike responses, targeting, etc...along with the times down to the second. There's always one d-bag pilot who gets shot down or misses his assignment and throws that spear at the E-3 and the quickest way to get him to gently caress right off is to give the verbatim threat call that he ignored, 4 seconds before red air launched. Sets a good tone for the rest of the debrief.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 25, 2015

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.
yep, that's not even an exaggeration. fighter guys hate you guys so much. and yet you awacs guys seem to worship them and seek even the smallest morsels of approval. from what i saw anyway.

it's like watching a really abusive relationship: baby, why do you make me hurt you so bad? i promise i won't hit you again...

don't believe them!

Winterfresh fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 25, 2015

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Winterfresh posted:

yep, that's not even an exaggeration. fighter guys hate you guys so much. and yet you awacs guys seem to worship them and seek even the smallest morsels of approval. from what i saw anyway.

it's like watching a really abusive relationship: baby, why do you make me hurt you so bad? i promise i won't hit you again...

don't believe them!

Lmao at the poo poo the AWACS dudes had to endure during those excercises. Most didn't even know or cared we were on station :smug:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I've been in countless F-15C and a few F-22 debriefs and I was the dude (Christ I'm too inebriated to remember what it's called but your watching the sortie on a computer screen via link 16 and answering the radio calls for red air and blue air and letting them know who's dead, when they're dead, etc and you watch anyone O-5 and above ignore your calls that they are dead again and again and again.. What the gently caress was this called? Usually dudes who lost their flight status were doing this and scheduling full time.. I got good enough to do it during Turkey Shoots and exercises when I was an Airman. How the gently caress do I not remember what this poo poo was called? gently caress.) and I got a few Fam flights with AWACS @ Red Flag, and maple flag.. And I sat in on their debriefs.

All I know to say is- thank god that we generally get our poo poo together just in time for ATO day 0 and 1.

Jesus loving Christ.

I've seen F-15C wing commanders poo poo on AWACS. In front of entire auditoriums of aircrew. Not sure if it was ever legit as I was never a pilot, just the Intel dork in the tactics shop, but the C model guys see you AWACS guys as either something to defend as a HVAA, or at best a very unreliable source for an initial picture and usually just an easily ignored source of nominal airspace "control", and at worst just noise on the net when you people dont stop loving screaming and trying to underperform the very best of 1970's (80's yet?) computers.

I gotta imagine the morale is absolutely miserable in the AWACS wing. NATO AWACS or JSTARS seem like they'd be p. tight though. I'd be scared as gently caress every flight, though..

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also later I went on to fly in much smaller aircraft where I not only had to convey a lot more information on the radio, but I had to work a sensor ball at the same time and keep my mic time short both internal and external since dudes on the ground seriously need the net clear of our Air bullshit, and I had a whole separate laptop I had to gently caress with a lot of the time, and the undertrained rando O-2 they had flying that single engine death trap was too busy counting our fumes for the inevitable request for extension on station and controlling their overflowing bladder to ever chit chat, But that's life with just a pilot and a baller. Though I did once have an older AFSOC pilot no poo poo do impromptu FAC-A while I was flying in those planes so not all those pilots were single task maroons. (Most definitely were tho. How hard is it to dodge a cloud dudes? C'mon, the dude we are following has been driving in a straight line for 20 minutes. Dodge. The. loving. Cloud. Big sky, lots of zoom on that ball. gently caress. It's not hard. I know the UAV guys do it fairly successfully when they can, and I know their pilots only got a soda straw to go by. No excuses for us man. But it happened. Every time.)

But ya'll were def the clowniest clown act even if the MC-135 kids did the barrel roll truffle shuffle on tape.

There's no need for all that screaming and buffoonery, dudes. Ya'll might as well put a big red nose one those planes because AWACS aircrew are legitimately the United States Air Forces third ranked flying clown act. And yes I meant third. A distant third to Tops in Blue and AMC's knock off of American Idol.

That aircraft is huge, ya'll could do some amazing poo poo if someone's head was screwed on right, and yet ya'll are AWACS, ACC's flying clown act. Barnum and Bailey with turbofans.

:colbert:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 26, 2015

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
It's a lot better at PACAF AWACS. It probably helps a lot when pilots and their controllers know each other and get drunk together.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A guy I know retrained into some enlisted aircrew job on AWACs and ended up getting sent to Geilenkirchen to work with NATO. Their current policy is all USAF aircrew get an air medal for every twenty missions, regardless of whether or not they just sit there and take a nap. So he decides he doesn't give a gently caress and calls out the OG/CC during a CC call and asks why they're getting medals for an arbitrary period of time instead of for actual superior performance.

You could've heard a pin drop as every enlisted aircrew member on the base* just stood their glaring at him for daring to take away their precious air medals.

*By that I mean the ones who showed up, so probably like three. NATO

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

AWACS are wonderful if they're doing a good job, but once they start giving bad calls or chatter-marking the radios, you have to tune them out. Good surveillance tracks are invaluable, but if they're doing that, they don't need to talk.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

If I had to sit in a awacs for more than 10 seconds I would have reproduced Hemmingway's finest work.

Weather 4 lyfe ground crew fuckin your flight forecasts for shits and giggles freezing rain inbound motherfuckers enjoy your flight lol

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Dominoes posted:

they don't need to talk.

This applies 90% of the time for anything grater than 4v4 or any kind of joint ops under fairly nominal conditions in my experience but I stopped paying attention to air warfare circa 2009 except for 6 brief months being the only Intel bubba for an f-22 squadron a few years later, and F-22s and AWACS play together about like you'd imagine :lol: , but that's a whole other thing.

All those communications capes and they are still universally the most loving worthless transmitter of useless bullshit on any net they're tuned to unless the ACC guys at Nellis are playing with their predator radios during a loving night raid again and talking on the radio like its loving IRC. Again.
:ughh:
And don't let the AFSOC Pred guys fool you either, no one with w a beard or a trigger to pull wants to hear the goddamn Preds baby sitter or his autistic see and say sensor op buddy on the net unless it's critical or requested. That's how I wound up with my joint jobs in the end anyway. Grab a USAF Intel dude, attach him to the company commander or PL or Shirt, give him a radio and ROVER receiver and make him deal with all these loving flying ISR idiots, and help the JTAC keep from having the fast movers task saturate him. I later found out being in the planes is much more fun and safe than trying to get the same planes to (Quietly) march like cats in a parade from the ground on the radio.
:ughh:
It's turtles the whole way down if you get inebriated and think deeply about the GWOT and air war. Turtles the whole way down.. :stare:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

rofl

http://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/2x9yrc/being_called_to_active_duty_against_my_wishes/

quote:

I am in an unfortunate situation.

When I was in university I was apart of AFROTC and became contracted. I did not make it to the end because of academics. Years later the Air Force is getting on me about going to active duty as an E1. I do not want this. I'm about 27 now and this isn't what I want to do with my remaining 20's. My fiance is very dependent on me (emotionally and financially) and I don't want to leave my current job.

I think I can legitimately prove I'm medically unqualified but this whole thing makes me nervous. Like, who do I go to?

This is really a stressful situation and I feel overwhelmed. I spoke with someone over the phone and it didn't really figure this out because he didn't say ANYTHING definite. I just hate living in limbo.

Can anyone offer help or suggestions? Do you know of anyone else in a similar predicament?
So how hosed is this guy?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Ain't nobody getting forced onto AD, if this kid can't keep from being forced into the USAF with medical issues during budget cuts and a draw down then he should skip his Air Force enlistment and prestige up to Marine OCS.

Jfc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did I turn you onto r/airforce

Was I right or was I right

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
NATO AWACS best AWACS.

Your in-flight meal was part of the checklist. It owned that you could not take off unless your braised beef tips or octopus salad were secured.

Man I miss that assignment :smith:

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004
AWACS suck in the desert.

Their radar never works and we have de-conflict ourselves. When the radar does work, they try to kill us.

I'm glad to hear that they try much harder during Flags and exercises.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I've been in countless F-15C and a few F-22 debriefs and I was the dude (Christ I'm too inebriated to remember what it's called but your watching the sortie on a computer screen via link 16 and answering the radio calls for red air and blue air and letting them know who's dead, when they're dead, etc and you watch anyone O-5 and above ignore your calls that they are dead again and again and again.. What the gently caress was this called? Usually dudes who lost their flight status were doing this and scheduling full time.. I got good enough to do it during Turkey Shoots and exercises when I was an Airman. How the gently caress do I not remember what this poo poo was called? gently caress.) and I got a few Fam flights with AWACS @ Red Flag, and maple flag.. And I sat in on their debriefs.

White force?

quote:

I've seen F-15C wing commanders poo poo on AWACS. In front of entire auditoriums of aircrew. Not sure if it was ever legit as I was never a pilot, just the Intel dork in the tactics shop, but the C model guys see you AWACS guys as either something to defend as a HVAA, or at best a very unreliable source for an initial picture and usually just an easily ignored source of nominal airspace "control", and at worst just noise on the net when you people dont stop loving screaming and trying to underperform the very best of 1970's (80's yet?) computers.

I gotta imagine the morale is absolutely miserable in the AWACS wing. NATO AWACS or JSTARS seem like they'd be p. tight though. I'd be scared as gently caress every flight, though..

There are three reasons for it. First is that most of the time the AWACS control they get on a typical CONUS sortie is from the loving FTU. When all your experience is based on an idiot Lt who only gets 8 goddamn training flights before his initial checkride, yeah, that'll happen. The other reason is that they know the setups ahead of time and everything starts in their field of view when they're ready. They call fight's on when they have SA on the picture already, so we're telling them something they already know to the highest fidelity possible. The third reason is prep. Like I mentioned earlier, if you have your poo poo together going into the debrief and you didn't COMPLETELY gently caress it up, you can shut down the extraneous bullshit. It comes back to the idea that if you look like you know what's up, people stop loving with you.

TheOtherGypsy posted:

AWACS suck in the desert.

Their radar never works and we have de-conflict ourselves. When the radar does work, they try to kill us.

I'm glad to hear that they try much harder during Flags and exercises.

The hardest part of the desert mission is staying awake. It's loving awful. Nothing about it is hard except keeping track of where things are when they're basically out of sight/out of mind for a couple of hours. If we talk to 10 aircraft in an hour we don't remember what your killboxes are. There are ways to maintain that SA but it literally involves a paper map and drawing on it. I'm completely serious, I helped design the "simulator" session for it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tomorrow I get to (well, have to) watch a professional Elvis impersonator sing songs and then relate those songs to domestic violence topics. Then I am required to take a class on creative doodling.

Edit: oh but I'm not colorblind anymore! Well I guess I still am but I have a piece of paper that says that it's ok to be colorblind. Pretty sweet imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
I got a piece of paper that says it's ok to be black in the AF 90 days at a time. It's p cool.

• Locked thread