Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So according to this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/drones-are-appearing-on-afghan-rugs/385025/

People in Afghanistan traditionally weave rugs with familiar images, and they've started weaving patterns of drones into them.

Aside from the question of who the gently caress would buy a rug with a drone on it, I suspect at least one of these carpet makers are actually goons:

I mean it's missing the cheetos and the taylor swift crotch chop but I imagine there is some guy in Afghanistan reading these forums inbetween weaving rugs. In either case I wont buy the drone carpet but I will pay top dollar for one of these 9/11 rugs.

Hi dude reading this, I'm sorry the west hosed up your country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
they cant spell for poo poo

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I want that first rug so incredibly badly

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

they arent even consistant with how they spell airplane

aerplan
aertlan

whoever made this was dumb as poo poo, all cultural relativism aside

e: and thats a pretty nice hardwood floor, their house is nicer than mine just from that detail alone

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I will buy that rug, put on my wall, and slav squat in front of it all day every day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mae posted:

I want that first rug so incredibly badly

a white elephant gift like no other

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Do want.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://a.pomf.se/fvnbzp.webm

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Back in 2012 I bought a rug like that from an afghan for a mate of mine, it had a tank, AKs, RPGs, an apache and spelling mistakes. It ruled.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

gender illusionist posted:

Back in 2012 I bought a rug like that from an afghan for a mate of mine, it had a tank, AKs, RPGs, an apache and spelling mistakes. It ruled.

i wish i could ask one of these guys why theyd spell the same word two different ways

like the answer cannot be unfunny, they either

a) realize they dont know how to spell the word and want to cover all their bases so they at least can point and go "see no, i got it right over here"

b) forgot they already used the word in the rug they are in the middle of making and just go ahead and re-guess how to spell it

c) give zero fucks about the quality of their work and just want to sell the non-internet equivalent of 9/11 jpegs to dumb yuppies who will pay 50 bucks for a half hour of work

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Stop posting pictures of my floor please.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
The date on the first rug says 20001. I love it. :allears:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
this is interesting because the Hmong people of Southeast Asia have a similar practice called story cloths:

during the Vietnam War the Hmong formed a secret alliance with the US to fight communism in Laos, but after the US left Vietnam, the communists also were victorious in Laos. to punish the Hmong for aiding the US, the Pathet Laos pledged to wipe out the Hmong completely, and thousands fled into Thailand to seek asylum in the US and elsewhere

the interesting thing is that the Hmong didn't traditionally make these before the war; while interned in the Thai refugee camps, they had a lot of time to spare, and so they made these story cloths to sell to raise money for their trip to political asylum

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Secks Cauldron posted:

The date on the first rug says 20001. I love it. :allears:

that's according to the Muslim Calendar :smug:

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

oh my god the little paratroopers are adorable, "yaaaaay im parachuting!"

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i wish i could ask one of these guys why theyd spell the same word two different ways

a) realize they dont know how to spell the word and want to cover all their bases so they at least can point and go "see no, i got it right over here"

b) forgot they already used the word in the rug they are in the middle of making and just go ahead and re-guess how to spell it

c) give zero fucks about the quality of their work and just want to sell the non-internet equivalent of 9/11 jpegs to dumb yuppies who will pay 50 bucks for a half hour of work

romanised spelling is not a thing that has been invented yet in pashto: if it sounds right then it's right, but most likely with these rugs they have no idea what they're writing

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

gender illusionist posted:

romanised spelling is not a thing that has been invented yet in pashto: if it sounds right then it's right, but most likely with these rugs they have no idea what they're writing

i mean you could just go and make stuff up but romanized pashto has been around since the late 60s, so if you actually want to be truthful you have to just admit they are either dumb, dont care, or are churning these out to make money off rubes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oh my god the little paratroopers are adorable, "yaaaaay im parachuting!"

Makes me think of the lost tribe story telling scene from Mad Max.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Guys, you can order your war rugs here:

http://warrug.com/

They appear to be out of WTC rugs and drone rugs. But they have links to some really large desk-top size images of the drone rugs:

Drone rugs, large images:
http://warrug.com/index1.php?idr=1566
http://warrug.com/index1.php?idr=1580
http://warrug.com/index1.php?idr=1581

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nnnotime posted:

Guys, you can order your war rugs here:

http://warrug.com/

They appear to be out of WTC rugs and drone rugs. But they have links to some really large desk-top size images of the drone rugs:

Drone rugs, large images:
http://warrug.com/index1.php?idr=1566
http://warrug.com/index1.php?idr=1580
http://warrug.com/index1.php?idr=1581

lol@those prices

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Blue Train posted:

lol@those prices

like i said, making money off dumb edgy nerd yuppies with 30mins of effort thrown into a lovely rug lol

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Those rugs are p cool and I would buy one if I was a rich yuppie. I wonder how much of the $650+ goes to the weavers though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Mad Archivist posted:

the interesting thing is that the Hmong didn't traditionally make these before the war; while interned in the Thai refugee camps, they had a lot of time to spare, and so they made these story cloths to sell to raise money for their trip to political asylum

i live in Minnesota, we got lots of Hmong immigrants here. these rugs own and some of them are huge, like ten feet in size. and at the Hmong flavored charter school one of their gym walls is covered in a huge fuckoff painting in the rug style

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Male Tears posted:

Those rugs are p cool and I would buy one if I was a rich yuppie. I wonder how much of the $650+ goes to the weavers though.

The Gross Domestic Product per capita in Afghanistan was last recorded at 424.37 US dollars in 2013. 

enough to be below that prolly

figure like one percent

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blue Train posted:

lol@those prices

It's a good investment since will make it much easier to attract a russian girlfriend.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

etalian posted:

It's a good investment since will make it much easier to attract a russian girlfriend.

hell I could buy a russian gf for cheaper than some of those rugs

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Blue Train posted:

hell I could buy a russian gf for cheaper than some of those rugs

lol the joke is that all those rugs he linked individually are priced at 0 dollars on that website

its a funny joke about cheap russian women

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol the joke is that all those rugs he linked individually are priced at 0 dollars on that website

its a funny joke about cheap russian women

oh didn't click those, lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They are just making lemonade out of lemons IMO

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its cause they're made by several people working together.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

that's according to the Muslim Calendar :smug:
Nah, the islamic calendar would say 1422 for that year.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

i mean you could just go and make stuff up but romanized pashto has been around since the late 60s, so if you actually want to be truthful you have to just admit they are either dumb, dont care, or are churning these out to make money off rubes

yeah I know that's technically the case but in my experience there wasn't much consistency.

I doubt the kids that make the rugs know what they're doing and they have a very poor qc chain

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i got one of those carpets when i was in afghanistan except mine has an RPG, an AK-47, a tank and the twin towers on it.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The earliest of these date back to the Soviet occupation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

they arent even consistant with how they spell airplane

aerplan
aertlan

whoever made this was dumb as poo poo, all cultural relativism aside

e: and thats a pretty nice hardwood floor, their house is nicer than mine just from that detail alone

Come on guy, we only finished blowing up all their schools like 5 years ago, give them some credit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I mean, why don't we also criticise that poor carpet maker in his backward country which we bombed even more to dust than it already was because his American flags don't have 50 stars?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Kitchner posted:

I mean, why don't we also criticise that poor carpet maker in his backward country which we bombed even more to dust than it already was because his American flags don't have 50 stars?

yeah okay whats his name ill send him an email calling him a dummy

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

You're totally not going to believe this, but he doesn't even have wifi. God drat.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Send it via carrier pigeon and he'll appreciate it because he can also eat the pigeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Kitchner posted:

You're totally not going to believe this, but he doesn't even have wifi. God drat.

okay ill text him gimme his digits this guys gonna hear it from me

not even 50 dang stars

• Locked thread