Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think the fact that you like it says all that need be said about freedom wars, stux :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArfJason posted:

really? I found guacamelee pretty easy, can't specifically remember anything too crazy about javier's fight. good luck with calaca

The whole game is super easy but jj doesnt pull punches and is much more aggressive than previous bosses. Hes a real skill check if youre gonna play him fair. He has huge aoe's, shifts out of your combos, and takes very little damage from regular attacks. He is trivial if you spam headbutt though so once i figured that out he was as easy as anything else.

As an aside I dont like how the headbutt requires you to let go of the analog stick. Lots of games make an attack + direction different than an attack on its own and thats sort of frustrating when youre facing the wrong way or a pixel out of range and you either miss or do the wrong move. /gamerproblems

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

the vita is my Binding Of Isaac machine.

Confirming the vita is boring and basically worthless.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

i think the fact that you like it says all that need be said about freedom wars, stux :colbert:

its fantastic

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A single device that I can take wherever I want and use it play a shitload of good ps1, psp, and modern games? Yeah, that's a fail

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

there are so many good games coming out this month, i might fuse to my couch in advance

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Besiege was my first ever Early Access purchase, and it was well worth the $7. Think Banjo Kazooie Nuts + Bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnjxftU6r0

My attempts to make a bomber have not been so fruitful yet, though.

e: oh sure now i see the thread.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 3, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I couldn't get into Guacamelee because color-coded enemies that are immune to everything but one attack is one of the most tedious gameplay mechanics out there and it has two versions of that that make every fight take 3 times longer than it needs to.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I couldn't get into Guacamelee because color-coded enemies that are immune to everything but one attack is one of the most tedious gameplay mechanics out there and it has two versions of that that make every fight take 3 times longer than it needs to.

well that isn't how they work at all, they need one hit from the colour coded attacks, then are open to normal comboing, which leads to working out ways to string enemies up together while breaking their shields. its fun.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Guacabadgame. Any game where you mash buttons to get combos is bad

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At least two of the greatest games this year are definitely about mashing buttons to get combos, both for the wonderful Wii U home console, this generation's console of fun button-mashing games for you and your friends.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Guacabadgame. Any game where you mash buttons to get combos is bad

Counterpoint: Any game with luchadors, flamenco, and suplexing is not a bad game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

its fantastic

Freedom wars would be the greatest game ever if the single player wasnt padded with hours of bullshit keeping you from swinging around on your thorn whip amputating mecha limbs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

ok

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Huh. I have 6 physical games for it, as well as a bunch of downloaded titles. I was extremely entertained by these games, which I know I would not get anywhere else.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pretty much every vita game is on PC or iPad so who cares.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Pretty much every vita game is on PC or iPad so who cares.

a PC isn't portable, even a laptop isn't even close, and lmao an ipad for games vs a console with two analog sticks and a poo poo ton of buttons

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I didn't say good games were on vita, just pretty much every game on vita is on PC or iPad.

If I want good games on the go I'll just bring the 3DS

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the vita...is good? :wth:

what other secrets don't they want us to know about?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I didn't say good games were on vita, just pretty much every game on vita is on PC or iPad.

3ds doesn't have spelunky, rogue legacy and Chie so uhhhhhhhh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also end of life vita when they stop patching it is going to be the ultimate emulator machine

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

ok

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hubris.height posted:

it's actually good, although not my favorite hunting game on the vita

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

Soul sacrifice delta?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My understanding is that while 3ds has a sleep function it isn't phone-like like the Vita one, right? Imo the sleep function makes the Vita. I can wake up, grab my Vita from the shelf behind me, and be in a game of Luftrausers or wherever I was in Persona literally about 2 seconds later, and the Vita still has plenty of battery life.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Real hurthling! posted:

Soul sacrifice delta?

toukiden

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

My understanding is that while 3ds has a sleep function it isn't phone-like like the Vita one, right? Imo the sleep function makes the Vita. I can wake up, grab my Vita from the shelf behind me, and be in a game of Luftrausers or wherever I was in Persona literally about 2 seconds later, and the Vita still has plenty of battery life.

What do you mean phone-like?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's functionally the same, you open the 3ds and the game is right where you left it. the difference is in battery life during sleep. the 3ds gets like 3 days and the vita is like 2 weeks easily

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

monster hunter 4 and story of seasons are not out yet and i am very upset.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Not sure what you mean but the 3DS just lets you flip it open and then BAM!

Unless you mean opening multiple apps then the Vita is terrible at this (since it lets you think it isn't silently closing apps in the background)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

elf help book posted:

What do you mean phone-like?

i think he means hit one button and go into immediate suspend with all the power save features enabled? idk

its great and has super batter life but mario doesn't say bye bye to me like when i close my ds so i think at least on this feature its a tie.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is that guy saying he doesn't have a 3DS?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

monster hunter 4 and story of seasons are not out yet and i am very upset.

Monster Hunter 4 being 3DS exclusive is reason enough the Vita is poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

elf help book posted:

Is that guy saying he doesn't have a 3DS?

haha

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The battery life is the phone-like part. I do not own a 3ds, I got a Vita because I didn't have to buy games for it.

I might get a 3ds when the new one comes out or some time after but tbh I think Nintendo first party titles just don't hit me in the way that they hit other people. I love old Zeldas and Mario 3 and World are perfect video games but the newer stuff doesn't hook me based on my Wii and DS experience.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I really like these games, and I don't think they're on the iPad or PC yet. There's a lot out there I wish to try as well, but I can't afford them.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

You bought a console with bad games on it because they were free. Good job idiot.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You bought a console with bad games on it because they were free. Good job idiot.

No, I bought a console that let me play good games I would already own for PS3/4, but on the shitter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Slur posted:

I really like these games, and I don't think they're on the iPad or PC yet. There's a lot out there I wish to try as well, but I can't afford them.

these are both good games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Awesome! posted:

the controls are frustrating and the 'mob of assholes with stunning attacks run at you' is infuriating and not fun. its actually a pretty cool concept executed very poorly. the 'cut off mech parts and latch onto the mech for big damage' is a cool concept, and the panopticon plot was something i enjoyed. but the controls and later fights in single player (which you will be playing because no one else is online) ruin the rest of the good stuff.

6/10

• Locked thread