Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

It's really funny that Sony is collapsing in on itself and no one seems to be aware of it at all since the PS4 is still doing fine.

I don't know how many articles I've seen in the past few years about how loving bad Sony is doing. If anything people are just distracted by all the bullshit Sony Pictures has been going through in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saagonsa posted:

The vita is really good

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like everyone passed up Pix the Cat but it actually is a great game on both ps4 and Vita.

Trivially it's a bit like Snake plus Pac-man but it's much much more fun than that sounds, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a fast paced puzzle game

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

Wow this month I get a free copy of Spelunky, a game which anyone even slightly interested in that genre has already owned for at least a year or more. Thanks Vita!

Adam Bowen posted:

I have a shitload of PS+ games on Vita and they're almost all really bad. The few good ones are games like Binding of Isaac which are already available on every gaming device so who cares?

The Vita is hands down the best Spelunky platform, that's the point.

Real hurthling! posted:

unless you got it free in like september with ps+ its not worth the very high price they want for it also i'd say vita is superior because the d pad is much clickier and has less chance of misreading your input than ds4 where you can move left and right by pushing the down button too far to the side by accident.

I would have agreed but I did get it free and I ended up having quite a few evenings of putting off much-needed sleep in order to play "one more round, okay, poo poo, that doesn't count, one more after this..." and so on. Knowing what I'd do now I'd pay for it tbh.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My understanding is that while 3ds has a sleep function it isn't phone-like like the Vita one, right? Imo the sleep function makes the Vita. I can wake up, grab my Vita from the shelf behind me, and be in a game of Luftrausers or wherever I was in Persona literally about 2 seconds later, and the Vita still has plenty of battery life.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The battery life is the phone-like part. I do not own a 3ds, I got a Vita because I didn't have to buy games for it.

I might get a 3ds when the new one comes out or some time after but tbh I think Nintendo first party titles just don't hit me in the way that they hit other people. I love old Zeldas and Mario 3 and World are perfect video games but the newer stuff doesn't hook me based on my Wii and DS experience.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You bought a console with bad games on it because they were free. Good job idiot.

No, I bought a console that let me play good games I would already own for PS3/4, but on the shitter.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

elf help book posted:

This thread is angry and lame.

Being as negative as possible is what casual conversation means to goons

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finally I can take off the darn kid gloves when it comes to people enjoying their frickin Vita.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man Splatoon looks like it owns.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hey its me. im the guy who is always breaking his controller and smashing his tv and punching holes in the wall. im an incredibly retarded baby who shouldnt be allowed to own electronics. i have anger issues. i have daddy issues. my mommy made me go outside once and i hated her ever since. things need to go my way or i start hitting people. i put a man in the hospital because he made me skip my turn in mario party. i trashed his house. i killed his dog. im a 49 year old man. i play fox only no items 2 stock final destination.

Are you also the guy who messages people when you lose in order to talk poo poo

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

THE PENETRATOR posted:

*in a a southern old man voice voice* Hey you stupid N*gger!! Nice 2v1 rear end in a top hat!! if your Mom watched that fight I bet she'd be proud of you... NOT, suck my dick you lagswitching f*ggot kid. I didn't enlist to put up with this poo poo from babies like you!!!

:smith:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

If the loving creator of the game won't stand by it and gives it a self-deprecating title, that's a pretty safe bet.

Part of me wants to believe anyone who would name their game something like that would actually be making something really kooky and innovative, but since it is definitely a zombie defense game, well...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

Isn't that by Yet Another Zombie Game guy who made it years ago and made a lot of money off the title?

This seems to be the studio's breakout hit.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I really had a lot of fun with Wolfenstein, great game

Edit: Wolfenstein and Far Cry 4 aren't goon phenomena, those games got great word of mouth everywhere. In fact this is the only place I've seen real hate on them

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean anything. Lots of really mediocre games get good word of mouth because people are very easily swayed by buzz.

I'm sure it couldn't possibly be people enjoying something different from you, could it

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sure, but claiming that people enjoying Far Cry 4 or Wolfenstein is mainly the result of that is basically some lizard people conspiracy poo poo

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Especially because it carries the implication that you're the special snowflake who sees through the bullshit and knows the REAL truth about bad video games, lol. Lay off the ayahuasca.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

That is not even close to what I said. What I said was that good word of mouth is a meaningless metric because it is very easy to manufacture.

You're going to have to get real specific with me about what you're saying because it sounds a lot like you're claiming there's a vast conspiracy of either plants or brainwashed people claiming things you don't like are good

Edit: and metric for what? My original point was just that the word of mouth for those games here wasn't unusual

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Okay, so to clarify: you don't think people are having real, legitimate fun, you think they're being bamboozled and not actually enjoying it. As a corollary, you think you are unaffected and can see The Truth About Bad Video Games. That's why you know Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein are bad.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you think Something Awful has a lot of plants, or just a few?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is seriously really dumb. It's basically a tautology to say that people will be more ready to enjoy things if they know they're supposed to, but you're literally saying someone can be convinced to claim a game they *should* know to be terrible is GOTY by an ad. Meanwhile, you can somehow play it and know the difference. What do you think is more likely: ads have some effect but people have differing tastes, or ads have ALL THE EFFECT except on a video game megamind like yourself?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

We've got a $10 paywall and are about as relevant to modern video games as the Philips CD-i so I don't think we're a target for shills. Go read reddit's big gaming sub-reddit or any other big sites and it's very different.

But we're discussing games that are about as well liked here as anywhere else...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

mysterious loyall Y posted:

please stop this

Sure

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyway the secret Starbreeze game Wolfenstein owns but I've still never played Riddick, which one is the one people are always talking up?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

The Darkness was also a really nice Starbreeze FPS and it was better than its source material.

I haven't played that one, so maybe I should do that as well. I played The Darkness 2 which I felt was quite a poor game(fun fact: I bought it on the recommendation of the Steam thread, whom I assume did enjoy it for real).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

Starbreeze had nothing to do with 2. The first game also has a conclusive ending and really didn't need a sequel. Its only available on PS3 and 360 though.

Oh yeah, I got the whole spiel from my friend after I played it about how bad 2 was, partly from drawing a little more directly from the terrible source material. I have both a ps3 and 360 so I should be set.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

speedrunners must love farcry 4 since all you have to do is sit tight and do nothing for fifteen minutes and then it triggers the ending right away

The question then becomes: How can you glitch the clock into running faster?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They need to make a sequel to Puyo Puyo Tetris that includes Tetris Attack/Puzzle League/Panel de Pon.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

krampster2 posted:

Hello chat thread. I have decided I am going to play every single game in my Steam library. I have 177 games and will do it in alphabetical order. I don't play 99% of what I own so I'm basically resorting to forcing myself. This is going to be a fun adventure.

Commit to just playing some percentage of the average time on howlongtobeat.com rather than the whole thing or the first bad game will be a showstopper.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Braid had amazing puzzles and The Witness is going to own

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zenintrude posted:

Seemed like a good idea at the time......... :suicide:

Here's what I was referring to: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/the-most-dangerous-gamer/308928/

vvv Yes, the connect-the-dots game is going to own :rolleyes: vvv

Yep it will.

Also I'm an idiot and a bad programmer but his language sounds cool to me, I've watched a few of the videos

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man Blow is the most hated man in games and he didn't even throw bees at his severely allergic team members

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
He left games didn't he?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Use an RSS reader that can load pages while stripping out everything but the text. Some apps can do it

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

RSS used to be the poo poo before everybody got greedy and crippled them because reading an article on your RSS feed instead of on their site meant they were missing out on that sweet sweet fraction of a cent from ad banner views.

It's been about 7 or 8 months since I've done it but I seem to recall doing okay using Feedly because it could cut out the crap on a given page. Maybe that was Flipboard.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zenintrude posted:

Could a good MMO be imagined? Getting rid of experience and levels would probably be a good place to start.

Conventional wisdom is that you need some kind of treadmill no matter what, just to keep people coming back. That's important whether you're f2p or monthly.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Puzzle games are a good genre

I just got that Mario and Donkey kong minis game for free from nintendo and its a lot more addicting than I thought for a pipe dreams clone

Check out my tetris mmo.

edit: also check out this unrelated image, because Columns owns and so does this guy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I think that people who are in the top 10 GBS Hellthread posters should not be able to post in Games.

SA got weird, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

Do you prefer old GBS or neo GBS?

I'm satisfied with the ever-burning core of GBS deep within my psyche.

• Locked thread