Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hi games thread. I'm still too sick to go to the office, but I lied around on the couch and played Hyrule Warriors for a little while. A pro controller came in the mail so I want to have some friends over to play it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked the Prime games okay. The first one held your hand a little too much and kept telling you where to go, but the atmosphere was pretty good. The second one improved on the gameplay a little and intentionally departed from the feel of some of the previous games, which was fine and a good experiment. I think Super Metroid was a better game overall, but the Prime games were a fun play and sometimes I like going back to the first one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phantasium posted:

That can be turned off.

!! I didn't even know that!! It was a minor complaint either way. It's a pretty good game. I think I prefer the original gamecube controls, but I don't remember the wiimote controls being bad on the sequels.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At least two of the greatest games this year are definitely about mashing buttons to get combos, both for the wonderful Wii U home console, this generation's console of fun button-mashing games for you and your friends.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

This thread is angry and lame.

agreed. it got very ugly during this vita debate, with cruelty and brothers taking arms against one another.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

almost half the posts on this page are either stux or adam bowen, which may explain some of the weaksauce rage that has piddled all over its previously bright and merrie demeanor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Chat thread, I just wanted to let you know that Hyrule Warriors owns and you should buy it.

i am glad to be on the same page as this poster, who i normally disagree with and shun. we can all come together under the glorious banner of the goddesses din, farore, and curly.

i have not played as ganondorf in awhile and in pains me, for he is very fun to play as.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oh yeah... the co-op is okay, but i think smash or perhaps mario kart or even the well-aged new super mario bros. would be better for a cool party with a couple of friends and some marthtinis.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blister posted:

That's almost as crazy as turning down the initial idea for Amiibos when Toys for Bob approached them before Activision for Skylanders.

that's the real horror of NFC figures: now Fred Ford and Paul Reiche are going to playing with dragons forever and they're not going to care one bit what brad loving wardell does with star control now that he's bought the rights.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

in smash, amiibos play for you, so that they can earn prizes for you while you're watching tv.

in hyrule warriors, you can tap them once a day and you get weapons, materials or rupees, all of which are basically just tools to help you level up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

If the loving creator of the game won't stand by it and gives it a self-deprecating title, that's a pretty safe bet.

But it's got such an innovative little slogan underneath, really unique and flavorful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i can't imagine playing the original metroid without save states.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my goon recommendation i didn't care for was okami. there were like a billion posts in the twilight princess thread saying "this game is garbage! bloom lighting! play okami instead, it's just like zelda, only way better!"

okami was interesting but it was not at all like zelda and just didn't appeal to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just type "Elder Scrolls 6" into Google every day and click on the "news" tab.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are there good browser games that basically involve zero thought but slowly award points and level you up?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fallen London, I guess.

Do you have to pay real money sometimes for that? I am having trouble understanding what it is from reading about it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chard posted:

Tetris is still the best game ever made.

The guy who made Tetris made a ton of games for the old Microsoft Puzzle Collection, which nobody wants to sell but doesn't seem to be free anywhere, which is a shame because some of them, like Finty Flush, were really cool and had catchy music.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Check out Finty Flush, with its Tetris-like music and addictive gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ilgGKx8LQ

e: my bird really liked this music and he whistled along.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 6, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started checking out every NES game once. I was actually trying to find a song that I remembered from my dad renting the game when I was a kid (I have never found it and don't remember a thing about the game) but figured I would try all the games in the meantime. I think I got to Color a Dinosaur before I gave up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The NES even has a pretty modest library compared to monsters like the PSX and the 360. Wayyyyy back in the day I downloaded all 127 then-available NES roms (I owned all the cartridges so that made it legal, that's science) but there's tons of poo poo in there I never even touched past the title screen.

Playing through every "worthwhile" video game that exists to this day would take someone's entire lifespan. And they keep making more!!!!

i know!!! it's fuckin' infuriating!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the only indie art games I ever played were To the Moon and Gone Home, both of which were flawed and overpriced by worth the four hours that I probably put into both of them combined.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gone home is good. it's too much money for how little it is, but i liked it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Yeah I think this makes like 50 bucks someone has spent buying this exact same AV for several people over the last while.

For that money you could buy several copies of Shovel Knight smh

I think if I had all the money people had spent on avatars for me over the years, I could get myself a new 3DS.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I realize there were problems with old GBS but the new one is a creepy mystery whose purpose escapes me, but I don't know. There is not much that will improve it, so whatever. Games and the Imp Zone mostly seem okay where I post.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm not a dangertroll. You can respond to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not me! Why, I even have had a positive postcount for two or three months. Totally trustworthy here. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For some reason I just played Dragon Warrior (the SNES version this time) all the way through again, instead of doing something more productive, like playing almost any other game. Now I am playing 2, and have named the main character Jerk, for hilarious shenanigans.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Once I get to Dragon Warrior 3, maybe I will do a let's play in the form of asking the IMp Zone if they want three of the people named after them and what classes they wish to be, then never posting about it again when the response is a tumble weed blowing by and the the sound of crickets chirping.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

how do i stream from my wii u to the computer

what tools do i require

i looked into that once and i think it's like just an HDMI cable and $30 worth of software.

if i do the DQ3 thing do i have to go into the LP forum, i just want to post a largely ignored thread in the imp zone that will perhaps amuse 3 or 4 imps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lots of great jokes in GBS. Have we photoshopped this picture into that photo of the murdered teenager yet? Haha, good times. :D

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

now how do i play and talk simultaneously

i think you just need like a USB microphone?? dunno, but the let's play forum probably does.

StashAugustine posted:

how bout those video games huh

thinking of starting another new vegas playthough

Enjoy. don't listen to the naysayers, stealth is always fun in that engine.

My wife and i have been cooped up in here a lot because of snow and we are enjoying video games and television. I can't decide if i want to play more dragon quest or an actual good game, hyrule Warriors, which is hard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Do not change it, angry Starbound people. I really enjoy Awesome's avatar. It's a great joy to see the Toads spinning merrily, and they do indeed look ready for adventure. It brightens my day, here in the snowdark maplesoaked city of New england.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome! posted:

i cant decide if it would rather there be like 10 people changing his av back and forth thinking theirs is the best or just one person with a crippling inability to make a decision changing it constantly

The second thing is funnier IMO. I had one guy change mine like 3 times because he kept getting a Moby Dick reference wrong and lmao.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I do wish there were a way to go back and look at your old title text, because there are three or four of mine I forget what people wrote.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

All the websites that used to display all your old avatars only go up to a certain point now too, because they changed the way avatars work recently (for the better), so a "review your previous avatars and custom text" feature would be great. I should be posting this in QCS, but there you go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

each time someone buys you an avatar, it is a badge of honor, like a steam achievement. I wish I could have as many points as eonwe. I have a lot of catching up to do, and will need to make someone who is willing to part with their money very angry with me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish i could see if anyone had ever reported me, but I think I just kind of fade into the background of most poster's memories. "I think he played Smash Brothers with me once?" it'll say on my forums tombstone, which is probably too many letters for the Oregon Trail.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

lmao

me too bud, me too. just have fun posting and don't be a literal pedophile and you're good

that's my motto, except the pedophile thing goes without saying because i don't want to think about pedophiles.

i haven't played Arena in awhile because i only just got out of the first real dungeon with my life and i am scared of being murdered in the streets of the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

how do the Elder Scrolls work on a console? I can't even picture that.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up an look at this

Kirby gonna own. Wii U is still the best console.

Between this, the Yoshi Wool game and Captain Toad, Treasure Tracker, Nintendo is really bringing some sunshine into this grim year 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think being very easy is a major flaw for a video game to have. It's nice to have some challenging games, like Hyrule Warriors, but not every game which is easy is mind-numbing and indeed, they can still be rewarding.

• Locked thread