Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
The vision of the future in an earlier era like the Jetsons is retrofuturism, but here we post examples of our favorite "modern" media mimicking the style of earlier eras. I've been on a big modern retro kick lately myself so that inspired me to make this post. It doesn't have to be recent, and they don't have to be pitch perfect recreations, just something that captures the spirit. Any media is welcome: posters and visual art, albums, movies, TV, games, etc.

Let's kick it off with some media about Hitler!

The Iron Dream
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Dream
I admit I haven't read this one, but I think I heard about it on this forum years ago. It's an "alt-future" novel about Aryan supermen, as if Hitler had taken up writing pulp novels himself.

Danger 5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_5
An Australian TV show about a team of super agents trying to take down Hitler. The first season takes place in 60s with era appropriate filming and soundtrack, and season two airing now takes place in the 80s with all sorts of 80s tropes. I admit I like the 1st season a bit better, since the second seems to be too saturated with "80s" references, oddly enough.

Kung Fury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fury
A recently kickstarted movie about a time traveling martial arts supercop that needs to take down the best karate master, the Kung Fuhrer. It comes out in a month or two, and I can't wait.

Other non-Hitler related media:

Shovel Knight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovel_Knight
One of the best and tightest retro platformers, taking cues from Castlevania, Mega Man, Duck Tales and so forth. It's got a great soundtrack by Jake Kaufman and great 8/16-bit pixel art.

Hobo With a Shotgun
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640459/
Modeled after the grindhouse films of yesteryear, and it's pretty gruesome in places but great for a watch if you're in the mood for a pretty unrelenting and ridiculous action movie, starring Rutger Hauer, the replicant from Blade Runner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Fallout games are basically retrofuturism on steroids. Wolfenstein: The New Order also had some kicking rad music that asked what nazis singing rock and roll would sound like.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I've been enjoying Archer a ton.

It's an animated TV series on FX about an international secret intelligence service set in a vaguely 60's-70's New York. Think mod-pop era James Bond, but very self aware... plus like every other pulp spy fiction that came out around those times. It really plays it fast and loose with the time period, though, and intentionally so. Expect to see people place calls on smart phones in front of banks of reel-to-reel mainframes and such. Very funny, and it has some of the same folks behind Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo making it. It's a whole different beast from those two, though, it's a 30 minute show and definitely more accessible, though if you're familiar with the older shows you might catch a few recurring jokes.

Lots of great voice talent too, H. Jon Benjamin does the titular character, plus people like Aisha Tyler, Jessica Walters, and Judy Greer to name a few.

I'm not selling it very well with this, so don't take my word for it, there's a thread in The TVIV to celebrate the airing of the sixth season. The first four are currently on Netflix and the fifth should make an appearance soon. Give it a shot, the first few episodes are very strong so if it doesn't pass the five episode test I'll be surprised.

Tuxedo Ted has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Feb 2, 2015

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I've been enjoying Archer a ton.

It's an animated TV series on FX about an international secret intelligence service set in a vaguely 60's-70's New York. Think mod-pop era James Bond, but very self aware... plus like every other pulp spy fiction that came out around those times. It really plays it fast and loose with the time period, though, and intentionally so. Expect to see people place calls on smart phones in front of banks of reel-to-reel mainframes and such. Very funny, and it has some of the same folks behind Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo making it. It's a whole different beast from those two, though, it's a 30 minute show and definitely more accessible, though if you're familiar with the older shows you might catch a few recurring jokes.

Lots of great voice talent too, H. Jon Benjamin does the titular character, plus people like Aisha Tyler, Jessica Walters, and Judy Greer to name a few.

I'm not selling it very well with this, so don't take my word for it, there's a thread in The TVIV to celebrate the airing of the sixth season. The first four are currently on Netflix and the fifth should make an appearance soon. Give it a shot, the first few episodes are very strong so if it doesn't pass the five episode test I'll be surprised.
Lol, my roommate does background illustration for that show. So strange when it pops up.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Archer is great. I admit I fell off the show with the 5th season but I might have to give it another shot.

• Locked thread