Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MrOnBicycle posted:

Actually, after some more testing, it seems like there is also a difference in pen input jaggedness depending on if you hold the back (i.e magnesium part) of it and if you have it on a table with no contact apart from your writing hand. Almost seems like an earthing problem. Still, it's less noticeable in metro apps (probably because they have smoothing and stuff) than in the desktop apps. Also, it sort of comes and goes.

You're not the only person in the world that thinks the Surface pen is crap, you've just got a faulty one.

It's not rocket science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tony Montana posted:

You're not the only person in the world that thinks the Surface pen is crap, you've just got a faulty one.

It's not rocket science.

Yeah, but it's more interesting and useful to isolate the problem if/when I have to return stuff. Much less likely to get dismissed / lovely repairs if I can be detailed. For example, when I returned a Galaxy Tab S they failed to repair it (2 times) until I worked out the problem and told them what it was. Besides, I don't want the hassle of returning poo poo if there is some fix.

Also I don't think that the Surface pen is crap. When it doesn't show the mentioned problems, it's great.

It's not rocket science.

VVVV: No problem. :)

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 15, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was needlessly narky there, sorry :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
For those who haven't seen it announced elsewhere, Windows 10 build 10240 is out. This is widely considered to be the "shipping" version insomuch as it's what OEM's are pre-installing on hardware. It's a different branch from the "preview" builds, requires activation (the normal activation, not some new 10 conspiracy), and the preview build text in the lower right corner is gone.

There's some nerdy debate about whether this is the "RTM" build or if there is even such a thing as an "RTM" anymore with Windows - there will certainly be patches for this released up to launch, and ever after, so who cares? This is it. For all purposes that matter this is the version everyone will get July 29th, two weeks early for insiders.

You have to already have had an earlier build installed and you need to be signed in with your MSA on it because Microsoft will switch you to the a different branch first in order to "see" this on Update. There are some reports that people using unofficial or "frankenbuilds" (i.e. leaks out of China) aren't able to see the update on Windows Update. So, just FYI. If you had 10162, 10166, etc. installed - and why not, they were freely available (were, MS has pulled the files) you are fine.

Sorry, Call Me Charlie, swipe gestures are still missing from Edge - they are coming in a later update - and Cortana is still Cortana, meaning most of us will probably turn it off, but otherwise this is a nice, speedy build. I like it. Lots of little bugs, like Live Tiles that didn't work, etc. have finally been addressed. The UI/UX conventions are still all over the place (settings menus, etc.) but that is more a function of apps being updated, I guess. Who knows.

It works really well on my Surface 3 - in the last month or so I've really come around on Continuum, which started off kind of wonky (and didn't work well either) but now feels natural, almost "why wasn't it always this way". It's perfect for the Surface line, too. With the Office Touch preview apps you can almost see the thing that the people in Redmond imagine this to be at its best.

Ironically, though, the users who bought in to the Windows 8.x design/direction the most are small screen users like Surface owners and they will still probably like Windows 10 the least, or will take some time to adjust. I recommend giving it a bit, I didn't like it at first either.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Live tiles are still broken and hosed up on this build. Even better, Microsoft decided that stuff in the spam folder should be shown on the live tile so it's always fun when stuff like

is frozen on my start menu. I haven't read my email yet today so there's 15+ new emails in my inbox but that's still what's showing on the live tile. Same with notifications. They still only pop up sporadically with new emails. No notifications with alias Outlook email addresses. No way to select alias Outlook email address when sharing to mail.

Windows 10 should be enough to make Windows 7 users stop bitching but they torpedoed any chance of succeeding with their unified platform goal. People are still going to ignore their metro store and tablets are back to being a second class citizen.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 16, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

That really sucks, because none of those issues are happening on the three computers I have Windows 10 installed on :(. The only modern app issue I have on my work PC is that it still has old references to the 8.1 store and people app sitting around, and those are there because of update issues between builds of 10 (AKA, something normal users won't probably see). My other installs were either with later builds, or fresh straight to the newest, and my live tiles are fine.

The easiest way for me to check this was to build a simple app, enable tile support, and push notifications to it (through the Internet/Azure, or myself in code) and they updated as expected. So... :shrug: I'm guessing it's an update issue from build to build.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

Live tiles are still broken and hosed up on this build. Even better, Microsoft decided that stuff in the spam folder should be shown on the live tile so it's always fun when stuff like

is frozen on my start menu. I haven't read my email yet today so there's 15+ new emails in my inbox but that's still what's showing on the live tile. Same with notifications. They still only pop up sporadically with new emails. No notifications with alias Outlook email addresses. No way to select alias Outlook email address when sharing to mail.

Windows 10 should be enough to make Windows 7 users stop bitching but they torpedoed any chance of succeeding with their unified platform goal. People are still going to ignore their metro store and tablets are back to being a second class citizen.

I haven't seen this problem either. I had problems with Live tiles - including mail - until a little over a week ago when an update I didn't notice (store) fixed it. Are you sure you are up to date? I agree the dual-update system is wonky and during the preview it was worse because it was tied to the builds as well (in that mail, etc. also got updates in the builds, and in the store) but that thankfully is over now.

You might just be out of sync, especially if you've been upgrading from several preview builds over the last month or three.

I have 3 accounts tied to mail and they all work fine, spam doesn't show on the live tile either.

Also, you can finally set Google as the default search provider in Edge. Whether that was Microsoft or Google changing I don't know (betting on the former). If they add in extension support and touch like they claim it might actually turn out to be decent.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ixian posted:

Also, you can finally set Google as the default search provider in Edge. Whether that was Microsoft or Google changing I don't know (betting on the former). If they add in extension support and touch like they claim it might actually turn out to be decent.

Google just added support for OpenSearch on their end.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

I haven't seen this problem either. I had problems with Live tiles - including mail - until a little over a week ago when an update I didn't notice (store) fixed it. Are you sure you are up to date? I agree the dual-update system is wonky and during the preview it was worse because it was tied to the builds as well (in that mail, etc. also got updates in the builds, and in the store) but that thankfully is over now.

You might just be out of sync, especially if you've been upgrading from several preview builds over the last month or three.

I have 3 accounts tied to mail and they all work fine, spam doesn't show on the live tile either.

Yes, I'm on the RTM version. Yes, live tiles are still hosed and laggy. Yes, notifications are still hosed. Yes, when I try to share something from Nextgen Reader, it's impossible to mail something from one of my outlook alias accounts.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 16, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yes, I'm on the RTM version. Yes, live tiles are still hosed and laggy. Yes, the notifications are still hosed.

Gonna go out on a limb here: You might want to refresh your install and start over. It sounds like deep issues with the install itself when it was updating and that's what hosed it up. It's probably best to start fresh and see if that fixes it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Drastic Actions posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here: You might want to refresh your install and start over. It sounds like deep issues with the install itself when it was updating and that's what hosed it up. It's probably best to start fresh and see if that fixes it.

Nah, Windows 10 is just kinda lovely.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Call Me Charlie posted:

So you're writing off the OS because you seem to have really specific problems that no one else is having?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's not you. It's everyone else :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sire Oblivion posted:

So you're writing off the OS because you seem to have really specific problems that no one else is having?

There's a feedback app with people mentioning the same problems I'm having.

And I'm writing off the OS because it's mess and it has a million little quirks I'm not willing to deal with. Like, as nice as it is to imagine that live tiles and notifications will suddenly work if I reinstall, it's still not going to play nice with multiple mail accounts because the mail app is objectively worse than the one in Windows 8.1.

Everything in Windows 10 is a step back. I don't want to think whether I'm in desktop mode or tablet mode. If I swipe an app down, I want the loving thing to close - not for it to become a tiny sliver at the bottom of the screen. What idiot thought that was a good idea?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 10 agnst ITT..

It's not even released yet.

I AM USING AN UNRELEASED PRODUCT AND ITS NOT PERFECT. I ALSO GET REALLY MAD AT EARLY ACCESS GAMES

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tony Montana posted:

Windows 10 agnst ITT..

It's not even released yet.

I AM USING AN UNRELEASED PRODUCT AND ITS NOT PERFECT. I ALSO GET REALLY MAD AT EARLY ACCESS GAMES

It's RTM so kill yourself

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Just wait for SP1 you big willy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Windows 8 was pretty poo poo until 8.1.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have to kill myself because I am using 7 on my desktop and 8.1 on my touch device and it's lovely and I let everyone else report bugs to MS.

If you like playing around and won't get ANGRY MAD at things not being quite right: be an early adopter.

If you need your platform for work or study and disruption is going to piss you off: wait until the product has matured a bit. In Windows this usually means the first service pack.

Windows 10 is the latest operating system from the largest software company on the planet. Despite cool devices and even better marketing/aesthetics, Windows still runs over 90% of laptops and desktops in this world.

As this thread is the perfect place to prove, the tablet 'revolution' isn't all that.. many still need a desktop or laptop to get real work done.

Microsoft always has had this market cornered.

If you don't like Win10 so far, then I guess that sucks for you.. but I wouldn't write it off yet.

Remember Vista is the guts of 7, the Greatest Desktop OS of All Time.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I know I'm wasting my time but:

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's a feedback app with people mentioning the same problems I'm having.

It's good that you aren't alone, but that doesn't equal widespread problem. Windows 10 may be rolling out in to the final stages, but it's still not officially released (in spite of many tech journals jumping the gun, Microsoft has kept mum, other than to say more patches are on the way - the date is still the 29th). Also, in case you haven't noticed, they have been awfully upfront and clear this time about how updates are going to be different - more frequent and in response to user feedback. The fact that you have been able to - legally - participate in the Insider program for nearly a year is one big clue. And yet people still bitch like the worlds largest Operating System with an enormous hardware sprawl should have come out perfect or not at all. Even Apple can't manage that with OSX and they have tighter control over the hardware it runs on.

Call Me Charlie posted:

And I'm writing off the OS because it's mess and it has a million little quirks I'm not willing to deal with.

Fair enough, it's your opinion. At some point, surely, raging against the machine has got to get old though.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Like, as nice as it is to imagine that live tiles and notifications will suddenly work if I reinstall, it's still not going to play nice with multiple mail accounts because the mail app is objectively worse than the one in Windows 8.1.

The word you are looking for is subjectively. I know you intended the opposite but it's still wrong :)

Call Me Charlie posted:

Everything in Windows 10 is a step back. I don't want to think whether I'm in desktop mode or tablet mode. If I swipe an app down, I want the loving thing to close - not for it to become a tiny sliver at the bottom of the screen. What idiot thought that was a good idea?

Also subjective. And the point of Continuum - really, the entire point of it - is that you don't have to think about what mode you are in. This is the part of your rant that puzzled me the most, actually, because it's one of the things about 10 I like the most over 8.1. I detach my Surface keyboard or fold it back, it goes to tablet mode. I do the reverse, it goes to desktop.

If I don't like it doing that and want it to stay in one or the other all the time it's a really simple click of an option to get it to do that. I don't know how this feature could be any less complicated, particularly the part where you can turn it off completely.

What you want is Windows 8.1, we get it. You want the hybrid, bastard version, where you have a start screen, but you can go to a desktop, and Metro apps are full screen Metro apps and desktop apps are not and men are men, dammit, who drink whiskey and smoke cigarettes, and everything is clearly different between the two including an entirely new system of swipe gestures invented by Peugeot Sound hipsters that - subjectively - virtually no one uses. Since they aren't getting rid of Windows 8.1 you are in luck.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is this for real

• Locked thread