Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks. Bookviser is working well. gently caress DRM forever, though. I don't want to steal anyone's books: I just want to loving read them on my own device without being locked in to some vendor's lovely ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Xenthalon posted:

Nice, thanks for the new thread, the old one helped me a ton.

I own the latest Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 now with the keyboard extending the battery. So if anyone has questions, I drop in occassionally.

Core M performance is fine, normal desktop usage is great, gaming ok... Diablo 3 startup time is noticably longer compared to an i5 laptop, but gameplay on low details and 720p is very smooth. 1080p is extremely laggy, shared ram is just too slow for that.

I wonder if your keyboard is different from the one attached to my 5130

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have an Asus Transformer T100? I'm thinking about getting one but the reviews are really hit and miss, lots of complaints about battery life and supposedly the keyboard can't be used unless its charging? It's really hard to sort the wheaf from the chaff here.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Does anyone have an Asus Transformer T100? I'm thinking about getting one but the reviews are really hit and miss, lots of complaints about battery life and supposedly the keyboard can't be used unless its charging? It's really hard to sort the wheaf from the chaff here.

I have the T100TA, 64Gb. I think mine's great, battery life is really good, screen looks good and is responsive. Keyboard is a bit small but you get used to it and yeah you can totally use it when it's not charging. Really impressed with its processing abilities, graphics (I can play Civ 5 and Endless Legend!) and just impressed all round really!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Alan_Shore posted:

I have the T100TA, 64Gb. I think mine's great, battery life is really good, screen looks good and is responsive. Keyboard is a bit small but you get used to it and yeah you can totally use it when it's not charging. Really impressed with its processing abilities, graphics (I can play Civ 5 and Endless Legend!) and just impressed all round really!

How is the size/weight in tablet mode? I'm deciding if I want the 10" or 12" transformer, leaning towards the 12", but it could actually be too big and heavy to easily use... I haven't held one in my hands.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mine is 10 and it's perfectly fine. It's not as light as an android tablet but you know I actually leave it on the dock most of the time weirdly! The keyboard is that useful. It's a good size for sure, though I guess it depends on your needs. A hands on would be best if you could swing it!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Microsoft Store has the HP Stream 7 with a $25 Windows Store gift card and 100 minutes of Skype credit for $79 $75.05

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781500

Bing Rewards also has a $5 or $10 off Microsoft Store codes available if you have points stockpiled. I'm almost tempted to get one for $69

Never mind on the $25 Windows Store gift card. Read on Slickdeals that it isn't available on this one.

quote:

Click here for HP Stream 7 Signature Edition 7" Tablet w/ Office 365 and add to cart
Send text to number 29502 with word MSSTORE in text
Immediately you will receive a unique promo code for 5% off
Proceed to checkout
Enter your unique promo code in cart
Total will be $99 - 5% w/ copied unique promo code = $75.05 + free shipping

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Microsoft Store has the HP Stream 7 with a $25 Windows Store gift card and 100 minutes of Skype credit for $79 $75.05

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781500

Bing Rewards also has a $5 or $10 off Microsoft Store codes available if you have points stockpiled. I'm almost tempted to get one for $69

Never mind on the $25 Windows Store gift card. Read on Slickdeals that it isn't available on this one.
Do you know how long this is for? I'd rather go pick it up in-store if I can.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

Do you know how long this is for? I'd rather go pick it up in-store if I can.

No idea to be honest. I just saw it on Ars Technica

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered, anyway.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon pricematched the HP Stream 7 deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TIBA6BCVH5VKS3T

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ynglaur posted:

Can s someone recommend a good epub reader for a windows tablet? I'd use Kindle or Nook but everyone says you can't sideload your own books. I just want all of my books in one place.

Bonus points if it has a Windows Phone version with which it syncs.

Bookviser Reader Premium is free for the next 22 hours.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/bookviser-reader-premium/1103c0f5-d813-4bf4-a5f5-108d59362ce5
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/bookviser-reader-premium/d1e9d012-a63a-47fe-a4d6-b8a3b03eef53

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Stream 7 came and it doesn't include the actual Windows key and it tells me activation has failed. Cool.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thank you! I had downloaded the free version before and like it a lot so far. The Toshiba Encore 2 Write's* screen works perfectly well as a book reader, fwiw.

* Who thinks up these product names?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Endless Mike posted:

My Stream 7 came and it doesn't include the actual Windows key and it tells me activation has failed. Cool.

The firmware is supposed to store the product key. If that's not working, call tech support (either HP or MS, I'd try HP first though) or just return the thing for a replacement since it's unlikely that would be the only thing wrong with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It indicates that it has a product key. It just tells me the MS servers didn't accept it. I'll post the error code when I get home.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Trip report on the Toshiba Encore 2 Write:

Honestly, I have no complaints thus far other than the fact it doesn't come with Windows 8 Pro, and the price is a little steep for the hardware. Web browsing, typing, and writing are all fast. Writing has a very slight delay, but not enough that I notice when I'm actually writing. The Wacom stylus feels more like a pen than a pencil: it's easier to write in cursive than print, which is ironic given how many schools aren't teaching cursive anymore. OneNote is even better with the ability to write notes and draw diagrams.

Of the included Toshiba applications I've only tried TruNote. It's good, but I'm sticking with OneNote. It's better integrated into Windows, and syncs across devices.

I've only tried to fire up a few old DOS-box enabled games from GOG.com. The biggest challenge is that they tend to crash if the screen rotates, and some don't accept stylus input as a mouse. Rather than get a Bluetooth mouse, I'll probably just live without it. I have a 12" Dell Latitude E7240 if I want a keyboard and mouse.

Interestingly, there are references to the disk being encrypted even though BitLocker isn't an option: that only comes with Win8 Pro. I'll dig into it more later.

Finally, given that Win8 Home doesn't include Remote Desktop, what are Goon recommendations for a good remote access solution for a Windows tablet? TeamViewer seems okay, but every company I've worked for or at freaks out at the idea. :supaburn: OMG it's a ~security hazard~! :supaburn: I can't tell if it's true, hyperbole, or just enterprise IT being controlling.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Honestly, I have no complaints thus far other than the fact it doesn't come with Windows 8 Pro, and the price is a little steep for the hardware. Web browsing, typing, and writing are all fast. Writing has a very slight delay, but not enough that I notice when I'm actually writing. The Wacom stylus feels more like a pen than a pencil: it's easier to write in cursive than print, which is ironic given how many schools aren't teaching cursive anymore. OneNote is even better with the ability to write notes and draw diagrams.

Of the included Toshiba applications I've only tried TruNote. It's good, but I'm sticking with OneNote. It's better integrated into Windows, and syncs across devices.

I've only tried to fire up a few old DOS-box enabled games from GOG.com. The biggest challenge is that they tend to crash if the screen rotates, and some don't accept stylus input as a mouse. Rather than get a Bluetooth mouse, I'll probably just live without it. I have a 12" Dell Latitude E7240 if I want a keyboard and mouse.

Interestingly, there are references to the disk being encrypted even though BitLocker isn't an option: that only comes with Win8 Pro. I'll dig into it more later.

Finally, given that Win8 Home doesn't include Remote Desktop, what are Goon recommendations for a good remote access solution for a Windows tablet? TeamViewer seems okay, but every company I've worked for or at freaks out at the idea. :supaburn: OMG it's a ~security hazard~! :supaburn: I can't tell if it's true, hyperbole, or just enterprise IT being controlling.

You can still connect to other systems with Remote Desktop. Just want to clarify that it still works as a client, just not a host.

Also : TouchMousePointer is my go-to for emulating a mouse on a Windows Tablet. Works spectacularly and IMO should come as a standard feature in Windows 8.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I guess we won't be seeing a Wacom digitizer in future Surface products.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm not an artist, but I'm just fine with that. I really like the pen on the SP3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nerdrock posted:

I'm not an artist, but I'm just fine with that. I really like the pen on the SP3.

I think even the artists are fine with that. Every article I've read has stated the N-Trig in the SP3 is superior to the Wacom in the older versions.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Whoa, Dell is launching the Venue 10 Pro and it's going to come with a Wacom digitizer. I almost think the price is a mistake because Core M plus Wacom digitizer plus keyboard attachment for $380 would be wild.

quote:

Finally, the Venue 10 and Venue 10 Pro are apparently identical other than the choice of OS; I say “apparently” as Dell didn’t provide a full spec sheet for the Venue 10, but things may have changed since our briefing as it looks like the Venue 10 Pro has now moved to Core M instead of Bay Trail hardware, whereas the Venue 10 will apparently use an Atom Z3735 processor (though that may change). Either way, with the Venue 10 Dell is bringing Android into the education system with Lollipop, while the Venue 10 Pro is Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 upgrade.

Both tablets includes a hinge-based keyboard option that the tablet locks into (which is an educational requirement in North America). It’s reversible, works in tent mode, and the tablet can be laid down on top of the keyboard if desired. Also included is a WACOM digitizer for inking, though the stylus is an optional accessory. The keyboard can be purchased separately as a $50 accessory, while the stylus is $32.95 with a loop to attach it to the tablet.

As far as hardware on the Venue 10 Pro, the base model used for education has a 1280x800 LCD, but consumer models with 1080p will exist as well. Dell will have two processor options, the Core M 5Y10c (800-2000 MHz with 4.5W TDP) or a Core M 5Y71 (1.2-2.9 GHz at 4.5W); obviously the later chip should be quite a bit faster. Other features include 2GB LPDDR3-1600 RAM, Windows 8.1 32-bit (Pro is also an option), and 64/128/256 GB of SSD storage. WiFi is provided by a 2x2 802.11ac Intel 7265 adapter, which also support Bluetooth 4.0. The tablet has a front-facing 1.2MP camera and a 5MP rear-facing camera, both with 720p30 video support. Along with a Micro-SD card slot, Dell also includes a full size USB 3.0 port and a micro HDMI port. The Venue 10 Pro measures 280x176x10.75mm and weighs 723g (748g with a WWAN module). Battery life is rated at 10 hours with the 38Wh battery, and the Venue 10 Pro will start at $330 for just the tablet, or $380 for the tablet and keyboard.

While initially it appeared the Venue 10 would be the same hardware, the Venue 10 Pro will be available starting March 3 while the Venue 10 is listed as launching in “Spring 2015”. It could be that Dell is still working on getting Android 5.0 fully working on the platform, or there may be other hardware modifications going on. We were told the starting price would be $300 for the base tablet earlier, but the current press release does not contain any pricing information so that may have changed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8974/dell-updates-education-solutions-with-new-chromebook-11-latitude-11-and-venue-1010-pro-offerings

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks for the trip report.

Protip on this one, if you bring up the charms bar and click brightness, you can lock the screen rotation by clicking the little padlock above the slider.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Yep: I figured out how to lock the screen rotation. It's pretty intuitive.

Thanks for the recommendation for TouchMousePointer: I'll have to check it out.

Any thoughts on remote access? If there's a better thread for that question let me know. Nothing stuck out, but I don't want to :nexus: up this thread unnecessarily.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I contacted HP support for my Stream 7 that's not activating Windows. We went through a full reset and it was still doing it, so they're sending me a Stream 8 as a replacement, which is nice, I guess.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you need to be able to remote INTO your tablet for some reason, you could use RDP Wrapper Library.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I have a SP3 and I really want to try the new touch office. Has anyone installed the Windows 10 technical preview on their SP3? Is it stable enough to use it? My SP3 is my only computer and I use it every day for school and computing. I understand there will be some bugs, but I don't mind minor inconveniences. I just don't want to end up having to spend an afternoon reinstalling W8.1.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

wookieepelt posted:

I have a SP3 and I really want to try the new touch office. Has anyone installed the Windows 10 technical preview on their SP3? Is it stable enough to use it? My SP3 is my only computer and I use it every day for school and computing. I understand there will be some bugs, but I don't mind minor inconveniences. I just don't want to end up having to spend an afternoon reinstalling W8.1.

The 10 preview gives you a 'rollback' option on bootup, so conceivably you could go back if it sucks -- but there's not a lot of guarantee that will work flawlessly (I haven't tried it on my desktop, but 10 has been pretty darn stable for me).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

It's as stable as it is on the Desktop. I still have issues with Explorer from time to time, and the "hold off on updates until this time" has yet to actually work for me (It just reboots my PC whenever it has an update, and never seems to respect that time. But I have not heard of other people having that issue so... :shrug:), but overall it's fine.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Don't install a pre-release OS on your one-and-only system and daily driver. It's just a bad idea. Plus the 10 previews include a keylogger for troubleshooting - even if you trust MS, do you trust everyone who could be listening in between you and MS?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Does anyone have the teclast x98 air II? Same res as iPad with full windows 8.1 is tempting to get for $200 shipped, if there aren't any glaring flaws.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

teraflame posted:

Does anyone have the teclast x98 air II? Same res as iPad with full windows 8.1 is tempting to get for $200 shipped, if there aren't any glaring flaws.

Seems to have battery drain issues with Windows 8. There's a giant thread on it over at xda-developers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/teclast-x98-air-ii-t2935267/page51

You also have to be careful with Chinese tablets nowadays because a growing number of manufacturers are putting the trial version of Windows 8 on instead of the full thing.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 13, 2015

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Plus the 10 previews include a keylogger for troubleshooting
Yes, and starting with Vista you can't play your own DRM free videos (insert your own favorite conspiracy theory). It's not a keylogger it is a standard predictive text input.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

MikusR posted:

Yes, and starting with Vista you can't play your own DRM free videos (insert your own favorite conspiracy theory). It's not a keylogger it is a standard predictive text input.

You're right, I'm sorry. It's not a testing keylogger, it's just collecting all the text entered into text entry fields on a large scale in a way that won't be done in the final release, for the purpose of developing and testing features.

Totally different.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

You're right, I'm sorry. It's not a testing keylogger, it's just collecting all the text entered into text entry fields on a large scale in a way that won't be done in the final release, for the purpose of developing and testing features.

Totally different.

Proof?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-keylogger-fiasco-has-been-blown-out-of-pr-1642931793

Bonus: The article leans in the "this is overblown" direction you agree with.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Whoa, Dell is launching the Venue 10 Pro and it's going to come with a Wacom digitizer. I almost think the price is a mistake because Core M plus Wacom digitizer plus keyboard attachment for $380 would be wild.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8974/dell-updates-education-solutions-with-new-chromebook-11-latitude-11-and-venue-1010-pro-offerings

They updated the article. No Core M :(

Bay Trail Z3735F with only 32/64 GB available.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Still, not a bad price. The Toshiba Encore 2 Write doesn't come with a keyboard.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Can anyone recommend a folio case for the Winbook tw801? The one on Amazon has horrible reviews. Does another tablet have the same or similar form factor?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good usb optical drive to use with my surface pro 3? In that same vein, I wouldn't mind any other good accessory recommendations like a snazzy usb hub or maybe a good case that leaves the kickstand and typecover ports accessible. I don't use one at home, but I work on a boat which can be a hazardous place for unprotected gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Has anybody bought the 8" Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2? The one with AnyPen. I'm divided between that and the 10.1" Encore 2 Write, or the Thinkpad 10. Doesn't seem to be any reviews for the Yoga Tablet 2, one for the Encore 2 Write (including the brief one in this thread), and all of the Thinkpad 10 reviews seem vary when it comes battery life. I have a Mac as my main computer, but I'd like something I could slip in my bag for school. Preferably something with a digitizer pen. What does everybody else in this thread have? What do you recommend?

• Locked thread