Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Switched.on posted:

Can anyone recommend a good usb optical drive to use with my surface pro 3? In that same vein, I wouldn't mind any other good accessory recommendations like a snazzy usb hub or maybe a good case that leaves the kickstand and typecover ports accessible. I don't use one at home, but I work on a boat which can be a hazardous place for unprotected gadgets.

Buy whatever the cheapest usb optical drive there is. It will probably be made by liteon no matter what you spend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dr. Wang posted:

Has anybody bought the 8" Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2? The one with AnyPen. I'm divided between that and the 10.1" Encore 2 Write, or the Thinkpad 10. Doesn't seem to be any reviews for the Yoga Tablet 2, one for the Encore 2 Write (including the brief one in this thread), and all of the Thinkpad 10 reviews seem vary when it comes battery life. I have a Mac as my main computer, but I'd like something I could slip in my bag for school. Preferably something with a digitizer pen. What does everybody else in this thread have? What do you recommend?

Windows 8 tablet reviews are rare but you can usually find a hands on or user review on YouTube.

8" Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3JtiPE_AlU
Toshiba Encore 2 Write = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXG4bI8iZA

If you're talking about the old Thinkpad 10 with Atom Z2670, I'd avoid it. That's a last gen processor.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Can anyone recommend a folio case for the Winbook tw801? The one on Amazon has horrible reviews. Does another tablet have the same or similar form factor?

Not sure if this is the same thing or not, but this is the one I have: http://www.microcenter.com/product/436812/8_Tablet_Folio

Honestly it's not that great for the price, it does protect well but the stand-up bumps don't do a great job of standing it up, and the hole for the camera get covered up when the cover is opened, making it pretty much useless (unless you hold it open like a book, which means you're only holding the tablet with one hand, which isn't the best for stability).

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
This was posted in the laptop megathread but I thought people here needs to see it as well.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

Lenovo apparently ships adware that breaks https by using fake signed certificates. The signed key is also hilariously easy to crack so any malicious person can use it to fake ANY https connection. Even to your bank! Makes me wonder about these $100 tablets from winbook or hp. Be careful goons.

Normally I hate lawyers but I seriously hope Lenovo get sued for this.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That wouldn't apply to 'signature edition' PCs from the Microsoft store, right? Or did Lenovo find a way to worm Superfish onto those too?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Oh great. And I just bought a 10" Yoga 2 in mid January, too. :tinfoil:

I haven't done a thorough search yet since I'm still at work but it looks like Superfish isn't on it. From the sounds of it, it seems that it was installed on Lenovo's consumer laptops which excludes the ThinkPad line and I guess their tablets so I guess I was safe to begin with.

Still, not fun news to wake up to. Especially since the keyboard is no longer in a returnable state after I broke the hinge and had to glue it back together.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

That wouldn't apply to 'signature edition' PCs from the Microsoft store, right? Or did Lenovo find a way to worm Superfish onto those too?

Signature edition is basically Microsoft doing a fresh install of windows on the computers. There should be no OEM software installed.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

lostleaf posted:

Lenovo apparently ships adware that breaks https by using fake signed certificates. The signed key is also hilariously easy to crack so any malicious person can use it to fake ANY https connection. Even to your bank! Makes me wonder about these $100 tablets from winbook or hp. Be careful goons.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine any other company being this stupid.

Here's a list of products affected.

quote:

G Series: G410, G510, G710, G40-70, G50-70, G40-30, G50-30, G40-45, G50-45
U Series: U330P, U430P, U330Touch, U430Touch, U530Touch
Y Series: Y430P, Y40-70, Y50-70
Z Series: Z40-75, Z50-75, Z40-70, Z50-70
S Series: S310, S410, S40-70, S415, S415Touch, S20-30, S20-30Touch
Flex Series: Flex2 14D, Flex2 15D, Flex2 14, Flex2 15, Flex2 14(BTM), Flex2 15(BTM), Flex 10
MIIX Series: MIIX2-8, MIIX2-10, MIIX2-11
YOGA Series: YOGA2Pro-13, YOGA2-13, YOGA2-11BTM, YOGA2-11HSW
E Series: E10-30

The ones bolded are Windows 8 tablets.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Just got offered a Surface Pro (1st Gen) for $200. Good deal or pass? I have a Venue 8 Pro right now but would like something with a little more power and I'm a cheap rear end.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine any other company being this stupid.

Here's a list of products affected.

quote:

MIIX Series: MIIX2-8, MIIX2-10, MIIX2-11

The ones bolded are Windows 8 tablets.

Is that the Yoga 2 10" model?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kensei posted:

Is that the Yoga 2 10" model?

No, the Mixx is a different line.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/miix-series/miix-2-10-inch/

LastPass has a page up that will tell you if your device has SuperFish https://lastpass.com/superfish/ (I saw this on Reddit but I'm pretty sure it's legit)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Call Me Charlie posted:

LastPass has a page up that will tell you if your device has SuperFish https://lastpass.com/superfish/ (I saw this on Reddit but I'm pretty sure it's legit)

Thanks. It's on sale at Best Buy this week and I really want one, if I go get it I will test it first thing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Call Me Charlie posted:

I love that company. :swoon:

Paul Thurrott has a blog entry on how to install a clean copy of Windows 8.1, which avoids this sort of shenanigan with crapware.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I ended up buying a Yoga Tablet 2 8", but it doesn't look like it was one of the ones affected by Superfish. Although, it is a bummer that Lenovo cut the price to $249 after I ordered. Wonder if they'd refund the difference.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Dr. Wang posted:

I ended up buying a Yoga Tablet 2 8", but it doesn't look like it was one of the ones affected by Superfish. Although, it is a bummer that Lenovo cut the price to $249 after I ordered. Wonder if they'd refund the difference.

I bought one because they cut the price to $249, and the day I went into Best Buy they had none of the 10" models on display. When I got home, I double checked the Lenovo site and snagged the smaller one for $70 cheaper. I am really curious to try the Any Pen technology.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My Yoga Tablet 2 arrived today. Haven't gotten to mess around with it a whole lot, but the AnyPen function seems to work great...however I've ironically had a bit of trouble with using pens. It seems to be hit-or-miss when it comes to ball points, but flawless with just a regular pencil -and maybe better for it, because the graphite provides a little friction for better handwriting. No scratches, but it does mark up the screen a bit.

I briefly had a Venue 8 Pro around this time last year and sent it back, because I just wasn't a huge fan of it. The Yoga Tablet 2 feels well-made and kind of science-fictiony with the battery barrel on the side, and the 1920x1200 resolution is nice. It's not as janky as my Venue 8 Pro was (or at all) and I expect it'll suit my purposes. Also, apart from a demo video and something called SHAREit, there isn't any bloatware installed.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

anypen makes no sense. why the gently caress would you want to mark up the glass on your device?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Got my Asus Transformer TA100 today, the hardware itself is fine. I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with Office 2013's touchscreen support though. Selecting a cell in Excel doesn't bring up the on screen keyboard when its detached from the keyboard. I don't have words for how dumb this design is. You have to manually bring it up every single time.

Anyone use Office 365? Same story with OSK there?

I think I might just send this thing back and get an iPad and find some other Excel compatible program. We bought this thing primarily for light view/edits using Office formats but it seems like Microsoft half assed touchscreen support.

Anyways good tablet, Office support sucks though.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

In my experience, the only desktop application to consistently bring up the on-screen keyboard is Chrome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Kinda off topic but can any Core M owners tell me about how hot their machine gets during normal use?

I'm kicking around the idea of getting an Asus Zenbook UX30 (not a tablet but 13.3 inch matte screen with 8 gb of ram and 256 gb ssd for $699) but I want to make sure that it doesn't get too hot since the processor is in the base instead of behind the screen.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

The Gunslinger posted:

Got my Asus Transformer TA100 today, the hardware itself is fine. I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with Office 2013's touchscreen support though. Selecting a cell in Excel doesn't bring up the on screen keyboard when its detached from the keyboard. I don't have words for how dumb this design is. You have to manually bring it up every single time.

Anyone use Office 365? Same story with OSK there?

I think I might just send this thing back and get an iPad and find some other Excel compatible program. We bought this thing primarily for light view/edits using Office formats but it seems like Microsoft half assed touchscreen support.

Anyways good tablet, Office support sucks though.

The on-screen keyboard should have a small square next to the X in the top-right used for closing the keyboard. The square is a toggle that allows the keyboard stay displayed.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
So I just got a surface pro 3, and I'm wondering how I can install programs on it from a disc. Specifically, I have manga studio EX 4 and I want to put on on the SP3, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that other than buying a USB optical drive. Obviously things that I can just download will be no problem, but in the case of manga studio I have it in disc form.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fhate posted:

So I just got a surface pro 3, and I'm wondering how I can install programs on it from a disc. Specifically, I have manga studio EX 4 and I want to put on on the SP3, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that other than buying a USB optical drive. Obviously things that I can just download will be no problem, but in the case of manga studio I have it in disc form.

Pretty sure you can find an EX 4 download on their site and activate it with the CD key that came with your disk?

I'm not sure what other options you're looking for here.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Fhate posted:

A USB optical drive is only about $30 and is probably* worth the cost just to have one around.

*if this is the only time ever you're going to need it, it probably isn't.

Question of my own - what's the cheapest 8" W8.1 tablet (even 7" would be fine) that will allow me to Web browse/use MS office/play mp4 files (or be able to put VLC player on it) and preferrably has a SD card slot (and even better a USB slot so I can use a wireless mouse and keyboard).

So basically in order of importance, what would satisfy:

Needs:
1. Be able to edit excel/word docs on MS office
2. Cheap as possible
3. Play mp4's and/or run VLC player

Would likes:
1. SD card or 32GB of storage
2. 1x USB so I can use a wireless keyboard and mouse

This is basically an "on the run" thing that I will use when I'm out and need to do something for uni + a bit of a toy to see if I want to buy a surface at some point in the future as my aging 2010 C2D MBP dies.

The only things I will be doing is listening to podcasts/lectures and typing the odd thing up in MS office (e.g. responses to tutorial questions and such) and browsing the Web. I have a beast PC to do any sort of heavy lifting, so I don't give a poo poo if it won't do anything beyond the above.

For reference, I have an ipad mini and like the size of that, but had an ipad 1 and thought it was too big, so something around the mini size is fine.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Kazy posted:

Pretty sure you can find an EX 4 download on their site and activate it with the CD key that came with your disk?

I'm not sure what other options you're looking for here.

That was actually the first thing I thought to try, but I'm not finding one on their site. All I see are updates, not the whole application. Maybe I'm overlooking it.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Fhate posted:

Take the disc to a PC with a DVD drive, and create an ISO image of it. Then, mount the ISO on your Surface Pro 3 and install from there. Should work fine unless theres some weird copy-protection on the disc. I've used ImgBurn in the past, not sure what the latest and greatest recommended ISO-creator is these days.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Guni posted:

A USB optical drive is only about $30 and is probably* worth the cost just to have one around.

*if this is the only time ever you're going to need it, it probably isn't.

Question of my own - what's the cheapest 8" W8.1 tablet (even 7" would be fine) that will allow me to Web browse/use MS office/play mp4 files (or be able to put VLC player on it) and preferrably has a SD card slot (and even better a USB slot so I can use a wireless mouse and keyboard).

So basically in order of importance, what would satisfy:

Needs:
1. Be able to edit excel/word docs on MS office
2. Cheap as possible
3. Play mp4's and/or run VLC player

Would likes:
1. SD card or 32GB of storage
2. 1x USB so I can use a wireless keyboard and mouse

This is basically an "on the run" thing that I will use when I'm out and need to do something for uni + a bit of a toy to see if I want to buy a surface at some point in the future as my aging 2010 C2D MBP dies.

The only things I will be doing is listening to podcasts/lectures and typing the odd thing up in MS office (e.g. responses to tutorial questions and such) and browsing the Web. I have a beast PC to do any sort of heavy lifting, so I don't give a poo poo if it won't do anything beyond the above.

For reference, I have an ipad mini and like the size of that, but had an ipad 1 and thought it was too big, so something around the mini size is fine.

Straight from the OP:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/tw801_tablet_-_black

- Bluetooth 4.0, microHDMI out, 1 USB 3.0, 1 micro USB 2.0, microSD slot

And pretty much every Windows tablet I've seen comes with office so you can edit all your office documents on the go.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Guni posted:

:words:

Maybe a refurbished Acer Iconia W4? You can get at 64 GB model for $144

http://us-outlet.acer.com/Acer-Icon...e&searchSize=12

Or a used Dell Venue 8 Pro. You may be able to find a cheap one on Craigslist or Ebay.

You'd have to get an adapter to charge and use usb at the same time. I think Dell sells one for $20 if you don't want to experiment and piece together your own set up.

I'd avoid going the absolute cheapest route possible. With that, you're either getting crappy hardware or you'll have to spend so much accessorizing it that you might as well spend more money up front.

- edit And if you're looking to use it as an MP3 device, look into using Microsoft's stupid metro Music app. Connected standby is a life saver when it comes to battery and you can still access basic playback stuff while the tablet is asleep (volume, etc) Just turn off all the settings that messes with your files before you import your library.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 2, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Or a used Dell Venue 8 Pro. You may be able to find a cheap one on Craigslist or Ebay.

I never use mine so I'd be willing to part with it. Its the 2 gig version mint condition, case and includes the active stylus. PM if interested and I'll toss up a SA Mart listing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dell Venue 10 Pro launched today.

quote:

The tablet features an Intel Atom Z3735F quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, a 5MP rear camera, a 1.2MP front camera, Windows 8.1 software, and a 1-year subscription to Microsoft Office 365.

Dell is offering four different configurations at launch:

$329 model with a 1280 x 800 pixel display and 32GB of storage
$379 model with the same specs plus a keyboard dock
$379 tablet only with a 1920 x 1200 pixel display and 64GB of storage
$429 model with the same specs plus a keyboard dock

Each Venue 10 Pro model has a full-sized USB port, a micro HDMI port, 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.0.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-10-pro-5055-tablet/pd?ACD=11708984-3640101-skim32X105Xe300f4e0d81fbddc4d9e842daa0c4dc4&AID=3640101

http://liliputing.com/2015/03/dell-venue-10-pro-windows-tablet-now-available-for-329-and-up.html

And Lenovo is coming out with another tablet. Miix 300

quote:

I took a look at the Lenovo Miix 300 after it launched at MWC on Sunday and I was impressed to see such good specifications for a $149 Windows 8 tablet. There are a few things missing though.

I handled a Lenovo Miix 300 with 2GB RAM and 32GB of storage and the quoted price was $149 which is competitive. The screen was OK and the battery size, 17 Wh, is good. On the downside though there’s a basic case design and there’s no HDMI output. Weight is good.

There’s nothing ground-breaking here but if the starting price is $149 then you can probably expect offers at 20% below that. With the Lenovo branding this low-cost tablet could be an easy choice if you’re concerned about memory usage in desktop scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmZbQiDlgYk

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Dell Venue 10 Pro launched today.

Hmm. Interesting. Running the "Honey" Chrome extension (checks all kinds of coupon codes automatically) nets the $429 w/keyboard version down to $365.50. Also, I'm "Dell Advantage" for some reason so 2-day shipping is free.

Tempting...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 5, 2015

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

Maybe a refurbished Acer Iconia W4? You can get at 64 GB model for $144

http://us-outlet.acer.com/Acer-Icon...e&searchSize=12

You'd have to get an adapter to charge and use usb at the same time. I think Dell sells one for $20 if you don't want to experiment and piece together your own set up.

I'd avoid going the absolute cheapest route possible. With that, you're either getting crappy hardware or you'll have to spend so much accessorizing it that you might as well spend more money up front.

- edit And if you're looking to use it as an MP3 device, look into using Microsoft's stupid metro Music app. Connected standby is a life saver when it comes to battery and you can still access basic playback stuff while the tablet is asleep (volume, etc) Just turn off all the settings that messes with your files before you import your library.

Thanks guys (hotsauce as well). I should have mentioned that I'm in Australia. Also, good to know about the Dell adapter, that will come in pretty handy in the future. The Dell Venue 8 was what I was looking at. Another question with that - if I used the accessory to give me a USB port, I could plug a little bluetooth adapter for a KB + mouse in and use it correct?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I'm not in the know with tablets like I am with gaming-esque rigs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Guni posted:

Thanks guys (hotsauce as well). I should have mentioned that I'm in Australia. Also, good to know about the Dell adapter, that will come in pretty handy in the future. The Dell Venue 8 was what I was looking at. Another question with that - if I used the accessory to give me a USB port, I could plug a little bluetooth adapter for a KB + mouse in and use it correct?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I'm not in the know with tablets like I am with gaming-esque rigs.

All Windows 8 tablets have bluetooth built in so you wouldn't have to use an adapter. But if you had something like a Logitech Unifying Receiver or some other type of dongle, yeah it would work. The adapter adds a microUSB port for charging and a full size USB port.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=US&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=470-ABES

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Guys, do any of you have experience with one of these HP Pavilion X2 10.1 2-1 models? Looking at this one particularly. http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-10-1-inch-Detachable-Includes/dp/B00NJF1IIG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Tried to cancel the V10p and it essentially processed instantly. Nothing they could do.

Dell did offer $45 off of what I paid if I keep it. Guess I have a new tablet. At basically $320 + tax for the $429 model, I really don't have a choice. That's cheep.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I'm looking to upgrade from my DV8P to the 10, so any hands on impressions would be great when you guys get them. Did anyone also order the stylus?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Lenovo has a promo code that will bring the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 13 down to $549 - LUCKYCHARMS

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
One thing I'm curious about: will the upgrade to Windows 10 bring the Windows Phone WordFlow keyboard to tablets? I really like WordFlow on my phone (when it works, think my touch screen may have a minor scratch in it somewhere that sometimes can cause it to lose the word), and I have a problem where if I'm trying to type fast on the current Win8.1 touch keyboard, it will usually input non-Latin or accented characters, even though I'm not touching the keys long enough for the hold dialogue to pop up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Venusy posted:

One thing I'm curious about : will the upgrade to Windows 10 bring the Windows Phone WordFlow keyboard to tablets? I really like WordFlow on my phone (when it works, think my touch screen may have a minor scratch in it somewhere that sometimes can cause it to lose the word), and I have a problem where if I'm trying to type fast on the current Win8.1 touch keyboard, it will usually input non-Latin or accented characters, even though I'm not touching the keys long enough for the hold dialogue to pop up.

A tap-drag will bring up the context menu on keys, and even tiny fast drags count. Kind of a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm giving some consideration to the HP Stream 8, reasonable specs and the 200 MB of free 4G could come in handy once in a while. However, if I want to use that at all, do I need to set up a separate auto-renew Mobile Internet account with T-Mobile or will "I'll buy the $5 one-day pass if I burn through the 200MB" suffice, and if I can do the latter does data just shut off dead at 200.0001 MB or do I get charged for that at whatever rate they choose?

• Locked thread