Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

anypen makes no sense. why the gently caress would you want to mark up the glass on your device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

only thing at this point id be worried about with the sp3 is that the sp4 and possibly mini will probably be announced soonish going by previous release schedules. that's probably not even much of a downside though since I imagine it will be the 'surface pro 2' type incremental update.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Saw 40 new posts overnight, got excited for sp4 announcement, disappointed.

For what its worth though on the subject of win 8.1 and touch, I still hold its by far the best touch OS, as far as usability that I've ever tried. Whenever I use my iOS or android tablets and phones now, I just get frustrated trying to do all these swipes and easy gestures that are so useful that I have to remember don't exist. "oh that's right... I can't snap my chat app next to my web browser so they're both open," etc. The reverse is never true though, theres maybe one thing (notification handling) that I've missed or miss when going back to win 8.1 after using android or iOS for a while.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They can't possibly expect you to click on poo poo in the taskbar on win10 in tablet mode can they? The tablet interface on win 8.1 was the only good thing about it. Are they trying to kill their tablets on the software side, right as the hardware is getting really good or something?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Everything I see about win 10 just looks like an absolute disaster for tablets. Its like Microsoft is trying to go back to their mid 2000's 'tablets' that just ran windows with maybe a popup on screen keyboard but otherwise was a clunky desktop interface where it didn't belong. Wasn't this what 8 was trying to fix? why in gods name does tablet mode in 10 have an obnoxious desktop taskbar on screen, eliminate the great charms stuff to easily access WiFi, volume and stuff instead of trying to poke at the same tiny icons on the taskbar that have been there since xp.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Factor Mystic posted:

FYI they ripped that functionality out in Windows 10. Normal people got confused that their files weren't available when they went offline, so now all of us have to suffer.

ugh. is there ANYTHING good about win 10 beyond bringing back the start menu for desktop use? Every new thing I read about it just sounds like a step back from 8.1, besides the aforementioned start menu when on the desktop. Well, I'm sure theres some stuff under the hood thats nice and an improvement at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've been holding out, waiting for the SP4 to be released before I upgrade my SP2, but now I'm wondering how tricky it will end up being to downgrade to 8.1. I hope there's no weird driver issues with any particular new hardware features that will make it difficult. I'd really like to see basically the sp3, but with the next generation of CPU inside, and I find it a bit odd its gone this long and microsoft still hasn't said a peep about the sp4. Does anyone have any clue when we'll start to see some word on it?

• Locked thread