Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Can s someone recommend a good epub reader for a windows tablet? I'd use Kindle or Nook but everyone says you can't sideload your own books. I just want all of my books in one place.

Bonus points if it has a Windows Phone version with which it syncs.

Bookvisor lets you sideload your own books, and I think there's a windows phone version. Kobo is another eBook service, but I don't know if you can add your own books right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I have a SP3 and I really want to try the new touch office. Has anyone installed the Windows 10 technical preview on their SP3? Is it stable enough to use it? My SP3 is my only computer and I use it every day for school and computing. I understand there will be some bugs, but I don't mind minor inconveniences. I just don't want to end up having to spend an afternoon reinstalling W8.1.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

That wouldn't apply to 'signature edition' PCs from the Microsoft store, right? Or did Lenovo find a way to worm Superfish onto those too?

Signature edition is basically Microsoft doing a fresh install of windows on the computers. There should be no OEM software installed.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

I feel close to the same, but my single complaint is the fact that the drat fan kicks on even at idle.

Supposedly, if you underclock it, the fan settles down. It also is supposed to improve performance.

I have an i5 SP3 and it is amazing. I'm a student and I use the pen and OneNote all the time. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you can get it on sale. Oh, and you can play skyrim on it at medium settings.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I saw two SP3s at school today! I'm not the only one any more!

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
My $.02 on the argument going on here: SP3 is a jack of all trades device. It does everything it does well, but it's not the best in class at anything. Nor does it really try to be. It's portable, but that's not the main focus of it. If you want portability, get an iPad air mini. It's powerful for an ultrabook, but if you want real, sustainable computing power, get a desktop. If you want a passable, portable device that can handle everything that non-power users can throw at it, the SP3 is the bees' knees.

Also, Windows 8.1 is light years ahead of my lovely 3 year old Android tablet, both in terms if gesture intuition and the responsiveness of those gestures. It's a great touch-based OS.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 26, 2015

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

notZaar posted:

Oh my god, what the gently caress is this Windows 8.1? I'm completely horrified at first glance, this is my first real exposure. I've been living in the Win7 bubble since it released.

It's the best. Not trying to be a Windows fanboy, but I switched to Windows 10 two weeks ago and I miss almost everything about 8.1 on my tablet. If you're using it on a desktop or non touchscreen then you probably won't like it as much. It was really made to be touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I'll try a clean reinstall and the 10166 build, thanks. I didn't know how to reboot the machine and boot from the usb key I made, so I upgraded from within Windows. Probably accounts for several errors.

Anyway now that I've found where to download a recovery image to get right back to stock Surface 3 I'm less spooked of mucking around :v:

If you want to go back to 8.1 on a surface you might have to wipe your os first. I read an article on Windows Central about that before I took the plunge. Something about Windows 10 doesn't want to down grade even from a valid recovery USB. I can try to find the article and post it, but it was months ago and Microsoft could have fixed this issue by now.

• Locked thread