Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

I asked before in other threads but didn't really get a bunch of input.

Unbranded 10.1" Tablet for $179.99

- Tablet: 10.4 x 6.8 x 0.4 inch 1.4 pounds
- 10.1" Diagonal, Multitouch (1280 x 800)
- Atom Z3735F @ 1.33 GHz
- 2 GB of RAM
- 6300 mAh
- Speakers: ????
- 2-megapixel front camera and 2-megapixel back camera
- Bluetooth 4.0, microHDMI out, 1 micro USB 2.0, microSD slot

1280 x 800 is low PPI for a screen that big, but the screen itself didn't look terrible in store. It's a little bulky, but I'd honestly rather have the bulk and a bigger screen + battery. Can anyone give me some thoughts on this or should I reconsider?

as someone who has a 13" laptop at 1366x768 in his stable at work, the PPI will probably not bother you as much as you think. For that cheap, you can do much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Trip report on the Toshiba Encore 2 Write:

Honestly, I have no complaints thus far other than the fact it doesn't come with Windows 8 Pro, and the price is a little steep for the hardware. Web browsing, typing, and writing are all fast. Writing has a very slight delay, but not enough that I notice when I'm actually writing. The Wacom stylus feels more like a pen than a pencil: it's easier to write in cursive than print, which is ironic given how many schools aren't teaching cursive anymore. OneNote is even better with the ability to write notes and draw diagrams.

Of the included Toshiba applications I've only tried TruNote. It's good, but I'm sticking with OneNote. It's better integrated into Windows, and syncs across devices.

I've only tried to fire up a few old DOS-box enabled games from GOG.com. The biggest challenge is that they tend to crash if the screen rotates, and some don't accept stylus input as a mouse. Rather than get a Bluetooth mouse, I'll probably just live without it. I have a 12" Dell Latitude E7240 if I want a keyboard and mouse.

Interestingly, there are references to the disk being encrypted even though BitLocker isn't an option: that only comes with Win8 Pro. I'll dig into it more later.

Finally, given that Win8 Home doesn't include Remote Desktop, what are Goon recommendations for a good remote access solution for a Windows tablet? TeamViewer seems okay, but every company I've worked for or at freaks out at the idea. :supaburn: OMG it's a ~security hazard~! :supaburn: I can't tell if it's true, hyperbole, or just enterprise IT being controlling.

You can still connect to other systems with Remote Desktop. Just want to clarify that it still works as a client, just not a host.

Also : TouchMousePointer is my go-to for emulating a mouse on a Windows Tablet. Works spectacularly and IMO should come as a standard feature in Windows 8.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm not an artist, but I'm just fine with that. I really like the pen on the SP3.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

The i5 Surface Pro 3 has replaced both my laptop and tablet for work and it is a god drat amazing device. It's a home run for MS and I can't think of anything bad to say about it other than the (non-work related) fact it feels a bit heavy when used as a tablet in bed at night. That being said, comics on a 12" tablet with a screen this nice look god drat amazing.

I feel close to the same, but my single complaint is the fact that the drat fan kicks on even at idle.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

wookieepelt posted:

Supposedly, if you underclock it, the fan settles down. It also is supposed to improve performance.

I've done that too. as low as it can go and remain stable, it still kicks on. heat is the one real issue with the sp3. (short of all the wifi issues / defects /etc )

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Daric posted:

So I'm looking at moving away from my laptop/tablet current setup (Macbook Pro and Samsung Note or whatever the 10.1 thing is) and combining them into a Surface Pro. I've heard the Surface Pro 4 is going to sacrifice power for efficiency. Do y'all think that's true? If so, I'm going to go ahead and get a Surface Pro 3 soon. What is the difference between the i5 and i7 models provided I'm getting the 256gb version of each? Is it significant? I get by but I'm not technically inclined enough to know the difference between all that.

It's all speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the SP4 does exactly that. Think of the "New Macbook". it's thinner and slower.

If you don't absolutely need to squeeze every drop of performance out of it, just get the i5. The only difference most users will ever notice is that it gets hotter faster.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Those things freak me out, but they seem pretty drat cool. When you say odd ergonomically do you mean it just isn't comfortable, or just weird? I'm probably gonna pick one up when I get paid tomorrow; my old Logitech mouse is still working well, but less and less devices I am buying have a dedicated USB slot, and it's old as hell anyway.

Probably referring to the fact that if you happen to like to grip your mouse by the sides : too bad. There's nothing there. It takes a little getting used to.

That said, I love my Arc Mouse Surface edition.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

isndl posted:

Claw grip still works, you just have to grip it closer to the 'head' where the buttons are. That's how I normally use it, anyways.

The problems I found with it are that it's not very precise for tiny adjustments, and that the 'scroll wheel' seems to lose its inertia characteristic after a while (leaving it on your desk overnight for example). I think the former is an unfortunate consequence of using Bluetooth and energy saving measures, while the latter seems to be a genuine bug that other people have also reported. Power-cycling the mouse (i.e. flattening and unflattening) seems to fix the scrolling problem, but there doesn't seem to be a proper fix available.

Also : the other thing is that we've always had the optical sensor in the center of the mouse's mass. It's in the front on the Arc for obvious reasons, and that can also make it feel just kind of weird. I got used to it, but that was another little issue.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

After booting my Winbook for the first time, opening Modern IE, and maybe the store, I went to the desktop to see how tiny everything would look and there was a message window alerting me that I was running out of memory and I should close programs or my computer would slow down. Since I wasn't doing anything I just closed the window and it has never come back up. I'm assuming there was some first-time-running stuff going on in the background that ate all the RAM.

Just checked in task manager right now, with Modern IE, Kindle App, and Photos running, I'm at 73% memory usage. However, the lion's share of the memory usage is from Windows itself. Since I can plug in a keyboard and mouse, maybe later I'll use it for some desktop web browsing (with a youtube video running maybe) and see what that consumes. Any suggestions on what else to run at the same time to see where it chokes would be welcome!

The only advice I can offer is that Computers have been better at managing memory for quite a while now. Memory usage is never something for a user to worry about.

A youtube video and pretty much anything else should be enough to stress it pretty well.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rurutia posted:

I prefer the Surface form factor because I do a lot of mathematical proofs by hand. But the main problem with my current i7 is that for some reason it's a piece of poo poo. I usually have Skype and a few browser tabs open and it is takes forever to do anything on it. Just opening the start screen and getting remote desktop open takes 2-3 minutes. I've had it in to Lenovo a few times while it was under warranty (including right before it came out of warranty) and it just seems my usage is too heavy or something. My disk usage is usually close to or at 100% with no specific culprit, and my memory's usually 70+. I think it's mostly because I don't have an SSD and I only have 4Gigs of RAM, and everything I use seems to suck up RAM like it's crack.

I'm mostly being cheap because I don't want to shell out for a Pro, but I might just do that.

It's undoubtedly the lack of an SSD on your regular laptop. One of those will make all the difference in the world.

Ask them at the MS Store if you get a return guarantee. Perhaps they'll refund you within 10 days if it can't do what you need?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

So recently my Surface Pro 2 died on me (battery drained) and upon booting it up the CPU speed is stuck at 0.75GHz and will jump back up to the 2.5~ whatever GHz it's supposed to be at for 10 seconds or so every couple minutes but then drop down. I've messed with the power settings and such but no dice. Any ideas?

Did you leave it charge for a while before turning it back on? Some portables clock themselves down if the battery is dead dead.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Personally, my main issue on my Surface Pro 3 with W10 build 10130 is that the notification center / action center only seems to work like half the time.

edit : vvvv oh. excellent. Yeah, it could use some work. vvvvvv

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 4, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ooh. I just accidentally 3 finger swiped up on my Type Cover 3 and it triggered Windows 10's "task view". Discovered 3 fingers down showed me the desktop, and 3 fingers left/right seem to do the equivalent of alt+tab.

Nice.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Horn posted:

Posting from my shiny new SP3. I knew the screen on this was nice but I didn't know how nice. Still getting used to the kickstand but its more lappable than I thought it would which is a big plus. I am still on the hunt for a modern app that supports google talk / hangouts. Is there such a thing or am I stuck keeping a browser open?

There's a separate "Hangouts" you can install that runs independently of your browser being open. It's not a modern/metro app, but it works (in desktop mode).

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'd imagine it's similar in terms of processing power, but the battery life would take a big hit on it because it's not Haswell?

sp2 is haswell. It arguably performs better on a lot of tasks because it suffers from fewer thermal issues.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Oh, huh, didn't know Sp2 was Haswell. Thought they came out too early in 2013...ah

Yeah. The only differences to my recollection between the SP1 and SP2 was Haswell and the added kickstand position.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm seriously considering either a Surface 3 or a Surface Pro 3 right now. I want to use it to read lectures, ebooks for my university studies, to be able to take notes in class and in general for learning poo poo.

From trailers, and from what I've seen people draw with the pen, it seems pretty good. Is it good enough for writing, or is it a gimmick in the end? I would be awesome if I could do all my note taking straight on the lecture PDF files, instead of having to print them out (expensive, did a fast calculation: At least $300 to print out all of last terms lectures, probably more ). A huge bonus would be that I don't have to retype everything in order to have it digitally.

I like having a tablet to read litterature on since I can lie down comfortably and still highlight (and remove them later easily), annotate, copy pictures directly from the book to flashcards and so on.
I kind of want to spend less time switching between stuff I use, and have most of it in the same place, synced to my main computer. I don't need the surface to replace a computer or laptop.

The question is, is the pen good enough, and does the Surface (Pro) 3 sound like something I'd make good use of?

I just threw a PDF into onenote 17.4 on Windows10 Preview on my Surface Pro 3, and I could write all over it. It was quite nice. I don't know how well it'll handle extremely large PDFSs, but a 5 page document worked great.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Would putting wow on an SD card work?

Yeah, but load times would suffer quite noticeably.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

What's the best solution for moving CD rips between by PC and a windows tablet? I picked up the super cheap HP tablet the other day. With my phone and my old android tablet i just used them as Media Devices but networking this thing isn't quite as easy.

a lot of tablets that charge via micro USB support hooking into a regular PC with that same cable and being treated as an external drive.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Handy Windows 8.1 RAM Usage guide:

1GB: Just do one thing at a time and you're fine.
2GB: Just do a couple things at a time and you're fine.
4GB: The vast majority of people find this comfortable. This is a tablet, not a workstation.
8GB: Feels good man.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rurutia posted:

I'm with him on haaaating the keyboard layout and how they migrate over to Windows OS. My husband had one for 2 years that I used semi-regularly, and I never got used to it. If he's just going to use Windows anyways, what's the problem with just getting a PC laptop?

STARBUCKS CRED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

I thought the SP3 was fanless?

nope. The S3 is.

• Locked thread