Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
At least he's not going to be an AO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

UoI posted:

I went to MEPS today. Passed all my physicals and tests, chose ABE, signed my contract and swore in. How badly did I gently caress up with choosing my rating?

You hosed up hard. Your rate will never go on smaller ships. The best Navy is on smaller ship like DDG, CG, and heck even MCM and LCS. You will be dirty and feel like a second rate citizen servicing the sports cars of the worst of the worst nobles, pilots.

If I were I'd go FC, ET, IS, IT, or gently caress even LS. These rates will give you the maximum possibility in assignments. FCs and ETs have a lot of sub specialties but if you were AEGIS FC then you will be treated like a god so as you're not a complete moron.

Stay away from engineering unless it's nuke. Nuke sucks dick in terms of lifestyle but gives you the best skillets to transition to a good job in nuclear industry if you qualify Engineering Watch Supervisor prior to getting out.

Also if you join the Navy and never experience DDG then I feel sorry for you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
BMs are pretty cool guys. They're some of the hardest workers on the ship and get treated like poo poo but they make the best drinking buddies anywhere. Plus they get a lot of leeway for backtalk because no one expects better of them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

BMs are pretty cool guys. They're some of the hardest workers on the ship and get treated like poo poo but they make the best drinking buddies anywhere. Plus they get a lot of leeway for backtalk because no one expects better of them.

My first job was DIVO for ABHs and ABFs, this is pretty accurate.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Applewhite posted:

Have you ever woken up forgetting which way around you are in your rack and tried to climb out, only to discover there's a bulkhead there and you're still mostly asleep so you think you're trapped in a tiny box and start to freak a little?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

UoI posted:

I went to MEPS today. Passed all my physicals and tests, chose ABE, signed my contract and swore in. How badly did I gently caress up with choosing my rating?

You are going to work your rear end off for sure. You'll either be on the flight deck or working in one of the catapult or arresting gear rooms. You'll be hot, sweaty and greasy pretty much every day. Over to you how you feel about that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

You are going to work your rear end off for sure. You'll either be on the flight deck or working in one of the catapult or arresting gear rooms. You'll be hot, sweaty and greasy pretty much every day. Over to you how you feel about that.

Sounds good, tbh. Shooting slingshots is great. The only other rates available was ABH, iirc, and logistics.

Just trying to justify the ruined next few years of my life.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

UoI posted:

Sounds good, tbh. Shooting slingshots is great. The only other rates available was ABH, iirc, and logistics.

If you're not married get married as quickly as possible for that sweet extra pay. I hear strippers are down for it so long as you split the extra with her. There is no way this can get hosed up.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

Only ABEs I've met were either tools or dicks. Hope you have fun with slingshots or whatever it is they do. Might see you around this base too.

My new LPO somehow thinks that our conversation made me rethink getting out, tomorrow is going to be an awkward day.

Don't fret; learn to be a dick and gently caress ppl over, then cross rate to MA.
They have THE best tshirts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Only cool MAs I've known were dog handlers.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Howard Phillips posted:

If I were I'd go FC ... These rates will give you the maximum possibility in assignments... if you were AEGIS FC ...

Something does not compute here. Unless you like the idea of choosing between 1 of a handful of specific ships your NEC qualifies you for

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

UoI posted:

Could've probably waited a bit and seen new ones. ABF, MA, and BM were the primary ones the recruiter was trying to push on me. If you would have held out for something else they would have probably called you a couple of weeks later to let you know one of the rates you wanted was open. And even if they don't call back, you're still free.

Lmao, I can't be a MA, I'd likely end up getting in trouble like some of my friends just by being an rear end in a top hat/jackass. Pecker checker is also not one of my aspiring goals for a career, especially ending up at another hospital.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pandasmores posted:

Could've probably waited a bit and seen new ones. ABF, MA, and BM were the primary ones the recruiter was trying to push on me. If you would have held out for something else they would have probably called you a couple of weeks later to let you know one of the rates you wanted was open. And even if they don't call back, you're still free.

Lmao, I can't be a MA, I'd likely end up getting in trouble like some of my friends just by being an rear end in a top hat/jackass. Pecker checker is also not one of my aspiring goals for a career, especially ending up at another hospital.

The only job I really knew of was Corpsman and I decided not to do that, so I had no idea what kind of job to go for. When I read what ABE does it seemed really interesting, so I went for it instead of waiting for something else and losing that. :smith:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

UoI posted:

The only job I really knew of was Corpsman and I decided not to do that, so I had no idea what kind of job to go for. When I read what ABE does it seemed really interesting, so I went for it instead of waiting for something else and losing that. :smith:

You'll be fine. There's no rate in the Navy that will guarantee you an easy/fun career, regardless of what anyone says. They all have their advantages and drawbacks. It's really all up to you. If you don't enjoy it, just put your head down and work hard so you can crossrate as soon as you can.
Honestly, though, if you make good friends, you will have a good time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What is the skatest rating in the navy? I'm going to vote my own long ago, trident radio et.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

being terrible at your job and getting assigned a collateral? BPO, command career counselor, etc

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

There was a dude on the Lincoln who had a very specific NEC for some equipment that never broke. He was his own LPO and his shop was a stylish closet with a sink on the 03 level that he basically lived in. Had it decked out with a huge flatscreen and GGR and ran an electronics repair business out of it.

I think I still have his business card floating around somewhere.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

being terrible at your job and getting assigned a collateral? BPO, command career counselor, etc

My favorite part is when people who are terrible at their job get high-speed about their bullshit collateral, then talk down to you the second you're dink on a GMT like you're the piece of poo poo.

quote:

"Ugh... you only did three of your five hours of language maintenance this week?"

"You never completed a single qualification or training beyond your JQS, spend 90% of your duty hours harassing other sailors and contribute nothing to America."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

What is the skatest rating in the navy? I'm going to vote my own long ago, trident radio et.

Actually it's aviators.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Laranzu posted:

Not the worst fuckup ever. Definitely not the best. Hope you like flight decks and chains.

I think you're mixing up ABEs and ABHs.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MancXVI posted:

There was a dude on the Lincoln who had a very specific NEC for some equipment that never broke. He was his own LPO and his shop was a stylish closet with a sink on the 03 level that he basically lived in. Had it decked out with a huge flatscreen and GGR and ran an electronics repair business out of it.

I think I still have his business card floating around somewhere.

Hah, I thought you were talking about me for a second.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CMD598 posted:

I think you're mixing up ABEs and ABHs.

They're all sky coners.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

UoI posted:

Meh, its not too bad. Most of it is how you view it. The people abobe and below you can probably make you hate work, but when it comes to the actual job some of them can be cool.

For skatest job I vote YN or PS. You just lose or gently caress up paperwork and write yourself up for a NAM over something a civilian probably fixed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pandasmores posted:

Meh, its not too bad. Most of it is how you view it. The people abobe and below you can probably make you hate work, but when it comes to the actual job some of them can be cool.

For skatest job I vote YN or PS. You just lose or gently caress up paperwork and write yourself up for a NAM over something a civilian probably fixed.

And even at sea you get to set 6 "working hours" per day.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

And even at sea you get to set 6 "working hours" per day.

That used to piss me off so much. If I'm coming off the 12-17 and need something filed, I don't need any of this "we close at 1530" BS. Everything else on the ship runs 24 hours a day.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really am happy with my decision. I couldn't think of anything else as interesting as SHOOTING JETS WITH MOTHERFUCKING STEAM CATAPULTS.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

UoI posted:

Yeah, I really am happy with my decision. I couldn't think of anything else as interesting as SHOOTING JETS WITH MOTHERFUCKING STEAM CATAPULTS.

But seriously, ABEs are permanently covered in exhaust and grease.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

But seriously, ABEs are permanently covered in exhaust and grease.

I'm actually (kinda) okay with this.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Mad Dragon posted:

They're all sky coners.

I pretty much classify all boat people the same.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

UoI posted:

It's a shame how great most jobs in the navy sound considering the reality.

My detailor got a hold of me yesterday with orders to San Diego which would be great except gently caress the navy, so I suppose I get to go in and talk to the career counselor about making my prd match my adsd and let him know I'm getting out. It actually feels really weird knowing that this is the point of no return. I'd feel a lot better about getting out if I didn't have a house and two kids.

Suppose job hunting starts soon!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

UoI posted:

ABE does have that going for it. If you don't mind working hard than you'll probably be ok. Since you will be on a carrier your amenities underway will be better. One unfortunate fact is that many of your peers will not be the most well adjusted individuals around. I think ABH is the best of the ABs in terms of what the job entails but at last you aren't going to be an ABF.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

...but at last you aren't going to be an ABF.

I dunno, if all I really had to do was hang out on the flight deck and fuel jets/fall asleep in their little shelters, I'd be pretty happy. But that doesn't count all the below decks poo poo they do...

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

My detailor got a hold of me yesterday with orders to San Diego which would be great except gently caress the navy, so I suppose I get to go in and talk to the career counselor about making my prd match my adsd and let him know I'm getting out. It actually feels really weird knowing that this is the point of no return. I'd feel a lot better about getting out if I didn't have a house and two kids.

Keep the faith, you'll find something! The biggest deterrent a lot of my patients that get out have is their mentality, just think clearly and research your options and you'll find a thing. Doing this for so long a lot of people let the fear of being out strikes them on their rear end.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My current detailer is my last chief, and he and my current chief are both awesome. When my WHCA orders got dropped we called him up and his advice was, "You should get out of the Navy and not even think of commissioning. You have too much potential to be stuck doing this stupid poo poo for twenty years, even on the officer side. The fact is that no matter how high you go in the military, you're always going to have some idiot working above you." My chief who was sitting with me while he said that laughed and agreed.

I'm still sad that my orders were dropped, and what makes it worse was that for the past two months I've been receiving welcome aboard emails from most of the staff at the agency. The only consolation I have for that is that it was entirely budget fuckery that dropped the FTS billet I was filling, and not my fault except for signing up as FTS. :(

Unless I want to obliserve to go to somewhere like MERIDIAN MISSISSIPPI then I can only extend at my current command for a year. My chief told me that he plans on dropping me from all administrative duties and letting me go hog wild fixing all the broken poo poo or stuff that gets ignored because of administrative red tape. That and training people to do stuff.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Commoners posted:

When my WHCA orders got dropped

That blows. :smith: If you extend can you just get out from your current command?

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 6, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

Man I'd take the San Diego orders that place is a paradise.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

ABE does have that going for it. If you don't mind working hard than you'll probably be ok. Since you will be on a carrier your amenities underway will be better. One unfortunate fact is that many of your peers will not be the most well adjusted individuals around. I think ABH is the best of the ABs in terms of what the job entails but at last you aren't going to be an ABF.

Yeah, it really isn't a bad job. It's a lot of hard work but it's on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. My personal opinion is that I'd never want to join the military, have to put up with all the bullshit and regulations and come out of it with "I filed papers in an office for four years."

Plus there are no bad carrier ports.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, it really isn't a bad job. It's a lot of hard work but it's on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. My personal opinion is that I'd never want to join the military, have to put up with all the bullshit and regulations and come out of it with "I filed papers in an office for four years."

Plus there are no bad carrier ports.

I really love hard, physical labor. Being active is a hobby of mine and 90% of the reason I chose the Navy was for the travel. If I don't like it I'll just attempt SEAL school. :v:

Quick edit: Oh, just curious: if you washout of SEAL school does the Navy make you do a lovely job? A couple people have brought that up but it just sounds dumb.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

UoI posted:

I really love hard, physical labor. Being active is a hobby of mine and 90% of the reason I chose the Navy was for the travel. If I don't like it I'll just attempt SEAL school. :v:

Quick edit: Oh, just curious: if you washout of SEAL school does the Navy make you do a lovely job? A couple people have brought that up but it just sounds dumb.

what does your heart tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Applewhite posted:

Man I'd take the San Diego orders that place is a paradise.

I know, I was there for six years. I'd rather not go back to a ship though and live where I do now.

• Locked thread