Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

UoI posted:

I really love hard, physical labor. Being active is a hobby of mine and 90% of the reason I chose the Navy was for the travel. If I don't like it I'll just attempt SEAL school. :v:

Quick edit: Oh, just curious: if you washout of SEAL school does the Navy make you do a lovely job? A couple people have brought that up but it just sounds dumb.

Start your autobiography now; option Bradley Cooper to play you.

With any luck the Russians will invade Alaska and future you will lead a band comprised of patriotic brown bears and grizzled bush pilots against the Reds.

Future you high-fiving compatriot after successful raid. I'd grow a beard though to blend in better and add some skull patches to tactical members-only jacket.
Failing all else there's this.

If you have a troubled-youth backstory then swing your book about succeeding in spite of your history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dingleberry posted:

Start your autobiography now; option Bradley Cooper to play you.

With any luck the Russians will invade Alaska and future you will lead a band comprised of patriotic brown bears and grizzled bush pilots against the Reds.

Future you high-fiving compatriot after successful raid. I'd grow a beard though to blend in better and add some skull patches to tactical members-only jacket.
Failing all else there's this.

If you have a troubled-youth backstory then swing your book about succeeding in spite of your history.

:swoon: My life will have meant nothing if this does not come true.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For anyone in the know, if I'm travelling to San Diego for a conference I must (shall for you doctrine goons) stay at the Navy lodge if there is availability, correct? I mean, ideally I'd like to stay in the Gaslamp, but I thought that AD requires you to use base options if available...

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Sitting at the Gulfport airport bar waiting for my flight in a couple of hours. ECS was fun, I am now a steely eyed killer. Time to get back to my computer.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Got off the phone with the 5th special program this week being told "Sorry bro, we only take CTRs, CTTs, CTMs and CTNs. Navy doesn't let us hire CTIs"

"But I've never worked as linguist!! I'm an SME and instructor in what you do!!"

"Sorry brother ~hangup~"

Well look at that, my last gently caress just flew out the window. And I'll probably be adsep'd for my language scores despite being highly qualified at the job they gave me after DLI. I know this is whining, but it was a really hard punch in the gut.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

For anyone in the know, if I'm travelling to San Diego for a conference I must (shall for you doctrine goons) stay at the Navy lodge if there is availability, correct? I mean, ideally I'd like to stay in the Gaslamp, but I thought that AD requires you to use base options if available...

That is true, unfortunately. If you find a place cheaper than the lodge you can justify it. It basically boils down to what your authorizing official will sign off on.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Analogical posted:

Got off the phone with the 5th special program this week being told "Sorry bro, we only take CTRs, CTTs, CTMs and CTNs. Navy doesn't let us hire CTIs"

"But I've never worked as linguist!! I'm an SME and instructor in what you do!!"

"Sorry brother ~hangup~"

Well look at that, my last gently caress just flew out the window. And I'll probably be adsep'd for my language scores despite being highly qualified at the job they gave me after DLI. I know this is whining, but it was a really hard punch in the gut.

Time to :getout:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

My drunkenness overcomes. I'm less than two miles from the guy that just told me to screw myself. I instructed two of his personnel. such is the world

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

"Sorry brother ~hangup~"

Get out, go civ.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Not the Navy Lodge, the Navy Gateway Inn and Suites. There's like 5 of them in the area, but I'm not sure if you have to try all of them before you get a CNA or not.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Get out, go civ.

That's 15 months away. It just sucks hard to be rejected over the phone and email that many times in one week. I've got con job offers up the rear end, I'll just keep doing as I do.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 7, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

Not the Navy Lodge, the Navy Gateway Inn and Suites. There's like 5 of them in the area, but I'm not sure if you have to try all of them before you get a CNA or not.

Any one of them you call should be able to book a room in any other one if it's available. We send people down there all the time and it's just one call and one CNA.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

You do. If the one you call is full, they'll check all the other ones before giving a CNA.

That said, when I was there last week North Island was the only one that had any rooms available and that was a couple weeks in advance when I called so it does fill up pretty fast.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

vulturesrow posted:

It basically boils down to what your authorizing official will sign off on.

this.

I don't touch travel anymore but when I was an AO I maliciously denied anything to goldbricking faggots officers that I know went to great lengths to avoid paying their chow bills, or really for anything at all. I haven't touched travel since I was AD, but my assessment is that people tend to treat the AD side about the same still. Do your own voucher and auth though and the travel people will probably be more friendly to you

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

this.

I don't touch travel anymore but when I was an AO I maliciously denied anything to goldbricking faggots officers that I know went to great lengths to avoid paying their chow bills, or really for anything at all. I haven't touched travel since I was AD, but my assessment is that people tend to treat the AD side about the same still. Do your own voucher and auth though and the travel people will probably be more friendly to you

The gently caress is a "chow bill"? I've never seen a wardroom let officers get out of paying for all their meals (automatically if underway, or on a per meal basis inport) along with their wardroom dues.

In fact, I've seen people literally told to "get the gently caress out of the wardroom until you pay your dues". More than once.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ya I thought chow bills were automatically added/deducted on the LES.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

buttplug posted:

The gently caress is a "chow bill"? I've never seen a wardroom let officers get out of paying for all their meals (automatically if underway, or on a per meal basis inport) along with their wardroom dues.

In fact, I've seen people literally told to "get the gently caress out of the wardroom until you pay your dues". More than once.

I wasn't navy so I can't comment on wardroom poo poo on the navy side but cg side underway meals for officers were still on the old sign up for meals bit. dues only covered the wardroom coffee mess poo poo. there was one guy in particular that I would gently caress with who used to rock the old LCDR(S) in his sig that I used to catch on duty days trying to scam leftovers from the galley specifically so he didn't have to sign up for meals. To be clear I don't mean on his duty days, I mean mine when I'd be on the mess deck as the OOD and he'd come back to the ship to ask if they had any leftovers they were gonna trash. He wasn't the only one doing it, but he was the one I saw doing it every duty day. his justification was that his BAS was less than an enlisted persons, but ignored the fact that an enlisted person (in the cg) will never see a cent of BAS regardless of how many meals they do or don't take aboard ship.

my gripe was predominantly with pathological cheapskates who were always trying to rules-lawyer me into getting them out of quarters/GMR on the ship's dime

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Jesus what a shitbag. Officer cash and he has to act like a loving e-1.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ded posted:

Ya I thought chow bills were automatically added/deducted on the LES.

I don't know about ship's company, but as air wing guys we had to go down to the wardroom office every month and pay off our bill. Like it's the loving dark ages or something.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Wait, officers didn't just have their BAS deducted while they were on the ship? What a scummy loving classist bullshit system.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So everyone says to not sell back your leave, which I agree with...but what if you just worked until your eaos and then sell it back? Doesn't that make more sense since youre making more money that way? Assuming you don't ahve a job you'd be working at during terminal of course.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MancXVI posted:

Wait, officers didn't just have their BAS deducted while they were on the ship? What a scummy loving classist bullshit system.

Officers don't get full BAS; it doesn't cover all meals.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Howard Phillips posted:

Stay away from engineering unless it's nuke. Nuke sucks dick in terms of lifestyle but gives you the best skillets to transition to a good job in nuclear industry if you qualify Engineering Watch Supervisor prior to getting out.

This is becoming less true as more nuclear plants shut down. I know a few people that say their plants have done away with directSRO completely and a few that only hire EOOWs now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

UoI posted:

I really love hard, physical labor. Being active is a hobby of mine and 90% of the reason I chose the Navy was for the travel. If I don't like it I'll just attempt SEAL school. :v:

Quick edit: Oh, just curious: if you washout of SEAL school does the Navy make you do a lovely job? A couple people have brought that up but it just sounds dumb.

It feels like IT school has all the bud washouts. Seriously every other jock looking dude here is like "oh I washed out of buds due to shin splints" or some such garbage.
I get it, you pussed out and now you got sent to nerd school.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

So everyone says to not sell back your leave, which I agree with...but what if you just worked until your eaos and then sell it back? Doesn't that make more sense since youre making more money that way? Assuming you don't ahve a job you'd be working at during terminal of course.

Yes.

It just depends on your situation. I'm doing something similar - my resignation is set for January - no hard date. So I'll set the date for the 31st and take terminal from that point, covering all of January. The job I have now is pretty flexible and pretty sweet, so I'll likely work until whenver we start doing stand-downs in December. Everything over those 31 days I'm taking is going to be sold back for extra cash.

It's just the pro-rated base pay, but if you don't need the terminal time for personal reasons (moving, job hunting, etc...) then it's stupid to not take that extra cash.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

I wasn't navy so I can't comment on wardroom poo poo on the navy side but cg side underway meals for officers were still on the old sign up for meals bit. dues only covered the wardroom coffee mess poo poo. there was one guy in particular that I would gently caress with who used to rock the old LCDR(S) in his sig that I used to catch on duty days trying to scam leftovers from the galley specifically so he didn't have to sign up for meals. To be clear I don't mean on his duty days, I mean mine when I'd be on the mess deck as the OOD and he'd come back to the ship to ask if they had any leftovers they were gonna trash. He wasn't the only one doing it, but he was the one I saw doing it every duty day. his justification was that his BAS was less than an enlisted persons, but ignored the fact that an enlisted person (in the cg) will never see a cent of BAS regardless of how many meals they do or don't take aboard ship.

my gripe was predominantly with pathological cheapskates who were always trying to rules-lawyer me into getting them out of quarters/GMR on the ship's dime

Yea that's pretty bad. I can't speak for the CG, but in the Navy, the CDO/OOD is generally (on most ships, not all) required to "sample the mess" after/during their watch to make sure it's not all hosed up (and then evaluate it). But asking for leftovers at the end of the day? That's pretty hosed up.

Also, the only people who can get away with doing the NextRank(S) poo poo before a promotion is usually CAPT(S) and above. I've seen people get called out for LCDR(S) (from XO to CSO "hey CSO do you know what a LCDR(S) is?" "No, what?" "A LT") and generally don't think I've ever seen a CDR(S) actually do that poo poo....blah. Shitbags everywhere, I suppose.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Officers don't get full BAS; it doesn't cover all meals.

Right, and I've heard officers bitch about this... There's a very quick counter to it as well: we make 2-3x as much as enlisted do depending on grade/time in who gives a poo poo about paying 2.75 per meal or whatever it works out to.

Frankly, I think enlisted cats should never be charged for meals at sea...I think the wardroom should have to subsidize 100% of that poo poo.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 7, 2015

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

We can discuss on skype later, but the biggest issue that could come up is that if you file for unemployment, they are going to count the extra money from selling your leave against you, so you would have to wait however many weeks before you could start drawing your benefits.

I wouldn't make a decision on leave one way or the other yet, the best possible thing you could do honestly is if you got a local job, would be to double dip and start your new job while on leave.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

buttplug posted:

Yea that's pretty bad. I can't speak for the CG, but in the Navy, the CDO/OOD is generally (on most ships, not all) required to "sample the mess" after/during their watch to make sure it's not all hosed up (and then evaluate it). But asking for leftovers at the end of the day? That's pretty hosed up.

Also, the only people who can get away with doing the NextRank(S) poo poo before a promotion is usually CAPT(S) and above. I've seen people get called out for LCDR(S) (from XO to CSO "hey CSO do you know what a LCDR(S) is?" "No, what?" "A LT") and generally don't think I've ever seen a CDR(S) actually do that poo poo....blah. Shitbags everywhere, I suppose.

Right, and I've heard officers bitch about this... There's a very quick counter to it as well: we make 2-3x as much as enlisted do depending on grade/time in who gives a poo poo about paying 2.75 per meal or whatever it works out to.

Frankly, I think enlisted cats should never be charged for meals at sea...I think the wardroom should have to subsidize 100% of that poo poo.

He was definitely the worst offender. Like I said, he wasn't even the OOD. I was. He came back to the ship from home, or whatever the gently caress else he was doing to try to scam free galley food. Considering the quality of your typical I/P duty day galley scrap, for his $4.65 (or less) he could get way "better" food from say a McDonald's or something. I dunno, that dude definitely had something wrong with him.

The justification I got when I asked about the meal sign-in system was that they didn't want to gently caress around with starting/stopping the Officer BAS every time we pulled into port because the pay system wasn't reliable and it would end up with people's pay getting hosed to hell and back. I don't argue with or blame them for that particular decision.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug, I've always wondered. Do the NIOCs have wardrooms/chiefs mess onsite anywhere? I heard a rumor that the Navy scammed the agency out of some space and had one in the 90s but didn't know about where it stood past that.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

The justification I got when I asked about the meal sign-in system was that they didn't want to gently caress around with starting/stopping the Officer BAS every time we pulled into port because the pay system wasn't reliable and it would end up with people's pay getting hosed to hell and back. I don't argue with or blame them for that particular decision.

I guess pay getting hosed up is totally cool for enlisted, though. Cool.

(I'm not actually super irate about any of this, I just think it's ridiculous.)

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

UoI posted:

The only job I really knew of was Corpsman and I decided not to do that, so I had no idea what kind of job to go for. When I read what ABE does it seemed really interesting, so I went for it instead of waiting for something else and losing that. :smith:

It's maybe for the best that you don't go Corpsman. All through A-school they'll tell you that the better you do, the more likely you are to get orders you want, and then they'll randomly assign 75% of your class to C-schools that no one asked for, and you'll get stuck at Fort Sam Houston for an extra year to be a medical laboratory tech.

Honestly, it's not too bad so far. The biggest problem is the advancement. On last Septembers exam, I scored in the 92nd percentile of candidates that took the exam, but the command refuses to score higher than a non-observed on evals, so I missed advancement by a shitload. And they just submitted another non-observed, and they'll submit another later this year before I'm out of the program. So on my third year in the Navy, I'll be an E-4. And when I brought it up to the CMC, she said, "Well, we don't really do that. But maybe we can look into it for next year." So, you know. If you decide to be a Corpsman, suck whatever dick you have to to not get a C-school.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MancXVI posted:

I guess pay getting hosed up is totally cool for enlisted, though. Cool.

(I'm not actually super irate about any of this, I just think it's ridiculous.)

Enlisted people attached to a ship didn't get BAS, in-port or otherwise. Unless they went TDY >30 days or were on leave.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

Enlisted people attached to a ship didn't get BAS, in-port or otherwise. Unless they went TDY >30 days or were on leave.

As a former enlisted person who went on a ship as part of a detachment and had BAS suspended and reinstated each time (even for periods of, like, a week), I think it's dumb that they handle it differently at the officer level.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MancXVI posted:

As a former enlisted person who went on a ship as part of a detachment and had BAS suspended and reinstated each time (even for periods of, like, a week), I think it's dumb that they handle it differently at the officer level.

I don't really disagree with you, but would you trust an E2 with four kids to write you a check?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

I don't really disagree with you, but would you trust an E2 with four kids to write you a check?

No, but I think the opposite approach should be taken. They're already taking pay automatically from enlisteds, why not just do it across the board?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MancXVI posted:

No, but I think the opposite approach should be taken. They're already taking pay automatically from enlisteds, why not just do it across the board?

I think a charge-to-pay system based on usage would be the closest-to-fair solution, but that creates funding fluctuations since galley budgets (not sure how the Navy handles this) are revolving based on input. Basically, if everyone is paying all the time, the cash body ends up having a surplus and can put people in violation of the ADA for unlawful augmentations, and if you're only going on usage and you're in-port for a long time you'll hit a shortfall and won't be able to meet the logistical requirements pre-patrol.

The enlisted crew likely shoulders the burden because in the case and situation I'm talking about, it was a ship with maybe 10 or 12 officers and 100 enlisted people, plus an aircrew for most of any given patrol. 10-12 people giving up the $265/mo or whatever Os get isn't going to cut it for loading stores prior to sailing.

anyway this derail sucks and I'm sorry

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

KetTarma posted:

This is becoming less true as more nuclear plants shut down. I know a few people that say their plants have done away with directSRO completely and a few that only hire EOOWs now.

Doesn't change the fact that EWS is the one of the few truly worthwhile certifications you can get from straight enlisting with no degree or any other experience. Nuclear industry is poised to make a comeback back as congress debates some key issues regarding licensing. Energy demand signal will continue to go up, so despite current fluctuations in gas prices and relative volatility in other carbon fuel sources such as coal, nuclear power will come back.

Those who have experience in operations will be first ones to get hired before they train new operators.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

buttplug, I've always wondered. Do the NIOCs have wardrooms/chiefs mess onsite anywhere? I heard a rumor that the Navy scammed the agency out of some space and had one in the 90s but didn't know about where it stood past that.

I can only speak for the NIOC that we're at, and it does not have a physical wardroom or Mess. Unless the Chiefs are hiding their cool-guy club somewhere and not advertising it.... But in all seriousness, no.

Everybody is too spread out around the area anyways, I doubt it would get much use even if we did have spaces...Even if it was over at the command suite buildings, it wouldn't get used.

The concept of a Wardroom/Mess is better at a smaller, more centralized command (ashore) or afloat. NIOC MD is something like 2600 people... The wardroom is like 200ish, the Mess is like 400ish IIRC.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 8, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

buttplug posted:

No one should have to pay for their meals at sea. It's loving stupid. So is the idea of having the wardrobe subsidize the enlisted mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
People got all butthurt about the LCS discussion but BAS/wardroom chat is a-ok lol.

• Locked thread