Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

No one should have to pay for their meals at sea. It's loving stupid. So is the idea of having the wardrobe subsidize the enlisted mess.

Why? We already utilize wardroom dues to subsidize <E5 for things like dining outs and Navy ball. How is this that much more of a stretch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Plus there are no bad carrier ports.

Excuse-fuckin'-me?
Did you not see my post last month?

Stultus Maximus posted:

And even at sea you get to set 6 "working hours" per day.

I never really got this. When I was a YN, I still did a full 12 hour shift. None of this "working hours" bullshit I hear from basically everyone else. I would routinely do 2-4 more (including a few 18 hour days due to emergency leave conditions as the travel YN) if I had the desk available in order to scan or process paperwork due to selective web tier hours and having to transmit documents to TOPS. I think the office tried once to close personnel hours from like 1400-1600 to lower interruptions at the end-of-month crunch for evaluations but I never turned anyone away.

Four years of that and I received a FLOC.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

NIOC MD is something like 2600 people...

I'm a nerd, see if you can guess why this amuses me.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Neeeeerddddd

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm still mad you're forced into meal cards even if you don't eat at the galley on base

I knew some dudes working some weird schedules that couldn't even get it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Personally I think separate wardroom messbills would make more sense if the wardroom were still allowed to buy its own food.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Applewhite posted:

Personally I think separate wardroom messbills would make more sense if the wardroom were still allowed to buy its own food.

Then you have an issue of the wardroom getting better food than the rest of the ship. There's already enough issue in some places of elitism without tossing that in as well.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

2600 baud?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Then you have an issue of the wardroom getting better food than the rest of the ship. There's already enough issue in some places of elitism without tossing that in as well.

That already happens though. Kiwi's for example.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the wood and sail days the Captain would pay for provisions and the nobles would feast on fancy meals while everyone else ate hardtack and some kind of meat with a poo poo ton of salt mixed with flour. That said, when the Captain's stores ran out the nobles ate the same poo poo the commoners did so there's that. Also, at least they got a ration of grog/rum/some kind of alcohol whereas today's Navy still has the elitism but much less liquor.

pathetic gbs homo
May 15, 2005
it's gotta be midnight somewhere by now
Long time no see bros. So currently, my EAOS is December of this year and my plan is to use my GI bill and start school the fall of 2016, which leaves me with about an eight month gap in between...last night I was on watch discussing my plan with a surprisingly level headed chief who floated the idea of extending my contract for six months (which would put my EAOS at the mid-point of the ship's next deployment).

It would undeniably be crazy amounts of money up until I started school again and honestly I'm a little nervous about employment prospects once I get out (currently stationed in San Diego). Obviously I wouldn't find anything right off the bat that would pay as well as E-4 with 4 years' sea pay, but I'm also conflicted about the idea of literally putting a price on my 'freedom' and another six months of doing a job I'm completely sick of. I've heard of people doing similar things and collecting unemployment in that gap, who also stress that I'll want the downtime to readjust to non-Navy living.

This is a tough one for me. What do you guys think I should do?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

pathetic gbs homo posted:

Long time no see bros. So currently, my EAOS is December of this year and my plan is to use my GI bill and start school the fall of 2016, which leaves me with about an eight month gap in between...last night I was on watch discussing my plan with a surprisingly level headed chief who floated the idea of extending my contract for six months (which would put my EAOS at the mid-point of the ship's next deployment).

It would undeniably be crazy amounts of money up until I started school again and honestly I'm a little nervous about employment prospects once I get out (currently stationed in San Diego). Obviously I wouldn't find anything right off the bat that would pay as well as E-4 with 4 years' sea pay, but I'm also conflicted about the idea of literally putting a price on my 'freedom' and another six months of doing a job I'm completely sick of. I've heard of people doing similar things and collecting unemployment in that gap, who also stress that I'll want the downtime to readjust to non-Navy living.

If you are in a technical rate you can probably get a job for 40-50k starting pretty easy. If you are one of those poor bastards that shuffles papers or paints stuff it might be harder, but I know that at one point you could get a pretty decent job working on a tug boat in San Diego if you had any experience doing deck seaman stuff and you can English good.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

2600 baud?

2600 was a big hacking/phreaking magazine. Think Hackers with Angelina Jolie era.

Still exists online I think.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Start school in the summer (or spring). Almost every college offers summer classes (or first semester classes in the spring). You'll have a non-traditional degree plan like every other veteran.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
It's at most chain bookstores still. I got talked to about having it during a health and wellness at DLI once near the end because they thought if I have that magazine I might be that 4chan guy from the news. :shlick:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

You qualify for unemployment for this exact situation, and like ket said you can also take some courses in the summer to ease into school while also collecting bah. Extending into a deployment for no reason might be one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard here. Are you married or something?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

buttplug posted:

2600 baud?

2600 Hz was the frequency of the captain crunch whistle used to make free long distance calls back in the stone age.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
it was the 2600Hz thing.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ron Jeremy posted:

2600 Hz was the frequency of the captain crunch whistle used to make free long distance calls back in the stone age.

They figured out the frequency thing before the whistle came out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm still mad you're forced into meal cards even if you don't eat at the galley on base

I knew some dudes working some weird schedules that couldn't even get it

Yeah, or you could submit a chit that would likely end up nowhere/get told to put in for BAH.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

The wardroom itself is part of that same paradigm, by that logic why not eliminate the separate dining facilities altogether?
Anyway I didn't mean to argue that we should bring back wardrooms buying their own food, but rather that the separate messbills are vestigial and make no sense under the current arrangement.
In the bigger picture I don't know if the usual egalitarian principles apply in an explicitly hierarchical organization. To a certain extent, all military organizations are elitist by design.
At least it's not like the old days where you had to literally be landed gentry before you could become an officer. In principle (if not perfectly applied in real life) anyone can become an officer if they work hard enough.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 9, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Separate dining facilities does accomplish some things. It's much more difficult to effectively lead people when you're best friends with them rather than subordinate/superior. This is nothing to do with any type of elitism. It's just human nature. Camaraderie and esprit de corps are invaluable to morale, but keeping senior/subordinate separate for dining/mess makes sense.

The way to solve the mess bill issue is just set up everyone with a deductible account on the ship. If you eat, you pay. Deduct it automatically from people's pay and just give everyone BAS.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Separate dining facilities does accomplish some things. It's much more difficult to effectively lead people when you're best friends with them rather than subordinate/superior. This is nothing to do with any type of elitism. It's just human nature. Camaraderie and esprit de corps are invaluable to morale, but keeping senior/subordinate separate for dining/mess makes sense.

:lol:

On another note we are the only branch that elevates a rocker wearing enlisted to wear a different uniform, get separate berthing and dining are.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Private sector only survives due to strict segregation between supervisors and lower management during lunch

pathetic gbs homo
May 15, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You qualify for unemployment for this exact situation, and like ket said you can also take some courses in the summer to ease into school while also collecting bah. Extending into a deployment for no reason might be one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard here. Are you married or something?

Unmarried. According to the website this uni only accepts applicants for a fall semester program. I didn't think it was that dumb an idea.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Unmarried. According to the website this uni only accepts applicants for a fall semester program. I didn't think it was that dumb an idea.

Ok, go to local community college until fall then transfer in. Coordinate with both registrars to ensure you are taking the classes you need.

What will happen if you need to do something in-person while on deployment and miss an important deadline because you were doing 5 knots to nowhere in the Atlantic with internet secured?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Private sector only survives due to strict segregation between supervisors and lower management during lunch

The private sector only survives by jealously guarding who's getting paid 2x more for the same work because ~reasons~

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Complaining about officers getting their own place to eat is the dumbest poo poo. Do any enlisted actually want the officers to eat with them? No they don't, because then where would they be able to complain about officers?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The way to solve the mess bill issue is just set up everyone with a deductible account on the ship. If you eat, you pay. Deduct it automatically from people's pay and just give everyone BAS.

You'd end up with dudes starving themselves to pay off their truck.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MancXVI posted:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

Well, yeah, there's going to be dumbasses always, but there are methods in place already to deal with that type of stupidity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

germskr posted:

:lol:

On another note we are the only branch that elevates a rocker wearing enlisted to wear a different uniform, get separate berthing and dining are.

There are absolutely senior enlisted messes and officer messes in the other branches.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Both my past ships also had First Class messes, which I think is taking things a bit too far.

(they weren't separate rooms, but the First Classes just were bullies who didn't let anyone sit at a particular table)

pathetic gbs homo
May 15, 2005

KetTarma posted:

Ok, go to local community college until fall then transfer in. Coordinate with both registrars to ensure you are taking the classes you need.

What will happen if you need to do something in-person while on deployment and miss an important deadline because you were doing 5 knots to nowhere in the Atlantic with internet secured?

Great point.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Both my past ships also had First Class messes, which I think is taking things a bit too far.

(they weren't separate rooms, but the First Classes just were bullies who didn't let anyone sit at a particular table)

Heh, my friend in Camp Pendleton went and sat at the Chief's tables once, they were only separated from the rest of the room by a small, collapsible wall. He thought it was an area for people to go eat when they wanted to be away from everyone else. That ended very well.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are absolutely senior enlisted messes and officer messes in the other branches.

Never contested separate messes for nobles.

E9s and some E8s may eat separately but at Camp Lejeune and Camp Pendleton the E6s (SSGT aka rocker) were dining with E2s-E5s. Lackland AFB, E9s were sitting next to, eating, and talking with E1s on up. The Navy is the only branch where this enlisted pay grade elitism is taken to a new level of stupid with goat locker/chief's mess/khaki uniform/entirely different dress uniform. That doesn't make a good leader by separating folks and saying "hey, now that you're X pay grade, you're a super special snow flake". Additionally, any ranking individual believing that eating a meal (at work) with someone junior will lead to fraternization and the inability of the subordinate to execute orders simply shouldn't be a leader.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don't forget the PO1 mess/area

GOAT LOCKER DO NOT ENTER MUST KNOCK AND GREET APPROPRIATELY

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I absolutely agree that the chief's treefort is stupid.

• Locked thread