Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
New Zach Lowe article posted the LBJ steal that I rewound over and over and watched a few dozen times after it happened it's an amazing read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgBUHFQqQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

this is most people who are into rock though

Steve Kerr owns because he punched Jordan back.

Not a good teammate. Putting his own personal pride ahead of the risk of injurying Jordan, what if he got a concussion. Or damaged his eye.

He put a ring on the line because he was a bit pissy because his role player rear end couldn't take the L with dignity.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Lockback posted:

I originally thought Larry Sanders was the big reason why they were so good, but I guess not.

The real reason is master tactician Jason Kidd.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know if the best part of the story being Kerr hitting back, or that Jordan got pissed that Steve Kerr was playing defense too hard. Steve Kerr. Playing Defense. Too hard.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lockback posted:

They are #2
http://www.basketball-reference.com...=&order_by=wins

I originally thought Larry Sanders was the big reason why they were so good, but I guess not.

Also, Minnesota makes their opponents offense look like the Warriors.

If we had Sanders, defense would be solid. He's the only missing piece right now, because we've had all shots locked down easily. It's inside the paint under the net we've been weak. Deep shots were an issue about 5 games in and Kidd took care of that. You will see every single 3 contested. Most teams have guys just standing there giving up, Bucks don't do this. Even if it is a gimme, it gets contested.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Good read. It's hilarious that teams just ignore Matt Barnes, despite him making 3s at a good clip.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You can tell the Bucks try really hard to contain the ball to one side of the court. They will deny the pass back to the middle of the floor and dare you to try to pass over their length cross court.

They have trouble with bulky centers who can score but who doesn't. Sanders and Henson are much better in help defense than in the post and rebounding.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 3, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A lot of words about why Tyreke is missing so many layups (he carries the ball too low when picking up his dribble).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

chunkles posted:

Good read. It's hilarious that teams just ignore Matt Barnes, despite him making 3s at a good clip.

You can probably argue that he is only shooting them at that clip because he is being left that wide open. It speaks to how good the team is at the rim that defenders are willing to do that.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

I really don't understand why more people aren't talking about how great this is.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Matt Barnes is a career 34% 3-point shooter with a really stupid looking shot that he shoots with a completely unnecessary hitch and is incredibly streaky in a bad way

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Quandary posted:

I really don't understand why more people aren't talking about how great this is.

I mean, Duh.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Quandary posted:

Because I'm too busy commissioning a painting of myself as a samurai.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Nick Collision extended in OKC for 2 years, $7.5mil (total). Both years guaranteed.

May be longest tenured non-HoF player in league now who has only played for one team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

bearic posted:

Nick Collision extended in OKC for 2 years, $7.5mil (total). Both years guaranteed.
not sure this is a good deal, but collison has been a good servant of the franchise so I appreciate the reward.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
While it's not exactly breaking the bank, that's a decent chunk of change for a guy pretty clearly in decline who could probably be replaced for the minimum.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

roundmidnight posted:

While it's not exactly breaking the bank, that's a decent chunk of change for a guy pretty clearly in decline who could probably be replaced for the minimum.

Agreed, and every million counts when you are as close to the Luxury tax as OKC are.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

roundmidnight posted:

Eh, I doubt you could get what he brings to the Thunder for the minimum without a major sweetheart deal. He got about market value with the mini-MLE range. Can play the 4 or 5, knows how to play with Westbrook/Durant better than about anyone, good locker room guy, etc. Maybe 2.5-3 mil a year would be better but 3.5 is fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not sure what big will be on the market this year that plays as competently as collison at that cost.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Good deal, hard to complain about that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Are OKC going to resign Perkins too?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hasn't Collison been like, really bad this year?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

http://gfycat.com/PortlyMilkyBluebird

Russell Westbrook is very serious about high fives.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Are OKC going to resign Perkins too?

I don't think so. They have a 25-year old 7'1" euro prospect on FC Barcelona (Tibor Pleiss) and rumor is he's coming over next season. I have no idea if he's any good, but he'll be a more cost effective backup for Adams moving forward. I think next year's rotation will be something like Adams playing about 30 minutes a night and smallball for 10-12 minutes a night with Ibaka as the lone big.

Collison was extended previously using some arcane CBA provision. Some clairvoyant writer on bball breakdown suggested OKC might use another specific CBA loophole to extend Collison again and it looks like they did:

https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/562667156916424705

I'm happy to see Nick get rewarded. Wouldn't be surprised to see him work in the front office in OKC after this deal ends if he's got the brains for it.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Caps changing anyways in a few years. I think a lot of teams are going to take on what would be perceived as bad contracts knowing that relief is coming after next year with the new TV deal.

On a sidenote, I will be traveling to Chicago on February 28th. I have an opportunity to go to Bulls Clippers on the 1st which just so happens to be an ABC game. Tickets in the bleeders are about $80 which is fine, but I was just wondering if any of you have any insight on ticket costs in Chicago. Is that about right?

Also, any cool things around the stadium that I need to check off the bucket list?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

bearic posted:

May be longest tenured non-HoF player in league now who has only played for one team.

I think Collison's been playing for the Seattlehoma Superthunders one year less than Haslem's been at the Heat

also maybe some Heat folks can tell more about it but Haslem's kinda a cool and great guy and may be up with M. Gasol for the dudes in the NBA who are going to balloon up after retirement

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

he freakin' left RUSS hangin' to five Waiters I can't think of a dumber play involving Waiters that wasn't directly Dion Waiters' fault

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 3, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Terry Glenn posted:

backup for Adams moving forward.

Dion Waiters gonna play 35 minutes a game, ya'll

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That's like the one from last season when Noah was disgusted by Snell's weak celebration.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jack's Flow posted:

That's like the one from last season when Noah was disgusted by Snell's weak celebration.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Who's ChrisPalmerNBA? He insulted the Collison Deal and Durant won't have it, he likes Kevin

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/562692266901635072

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hot-Take Alert:

Durant doesn't have the killer instinct needed to hardball role-players on contracts. He's too nice and just wants everyone to be happy so it leads to Presti giving too much money to good locker room guys. He just doesn't have The Will To Win.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Presti will insist on throwing Lamb into any deal involving Reggie Jackson because he's on Russ' list now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Like clockwork

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

thompson posted:

Caps changing anyways in a few years. I think a lot of teams are going to take on what would be perceived as bad contracts knowing that relief is coming after next year with the new TV deal.

On a sidenote, I will be traveling to Chicago on February 28th. I have an opportunity to go to Bulls Clippers on the 1st which just so happens to be an ABC game. Tickets in the bleeders are about $80 which is fine, but I was just wondering if any of you have any insight on ticket costs in Chicago. Is that about right?

Also, any cool things around the stadium that I need to check off the bucket list?

Seems about right for a higher profile game. Check out NBATickets.com and StubHub though for maybe a better deal.

There is practically nothing around the stadium. It's all parking lots (supposed to be changing in a few years). But I'd still recommend getting to the stadium early as there is stuff there you can do. Jordan statue is outside the East entrance. Inside there is the Pippen and Red Kerr statue. Can take some pictures with the championship trophies. Bunch of other little things to walk around and check out.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Seems about right for a higher profile game. Check out NBATickets.com and StubHub though for maybe a better deal.

There is practically nothing around the stadium. It's all parking lots (supposed to be changing in a few years). But I'd still recommend getting to the stadium early as there is stuff there you can do. Jordan statue is outside the East entrance. Inside there is the Pippen and Red Kerr statue. Can take some pictures with the championship trophies. Bunch of other little things to walk around and check out.

Snappp!! You just got me pretty excited. I had no idea the championship trophies were on display. I'm pretty well geeked up now. Thanks for the advice!

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://vine.co/v/MuLKeFQOKTw

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

bearic posted:

I am pleased that nick is getting rewarded for his loyalty

Terry Glenn posted:

Presti will insist on throwing Lamb into any deal involving Reggie Jackson because he's on Russ' list now.

How much trade value does Lamb even have?

EvanTH posted:

Who's ChrisPalmerNBA? He insulted the Collison Deal and Durant won't have it, he likes Kevin

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/562692266901635072

All NBA players need to follow KD's lead and take a stand against lovely sport journalists

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Dubs' only home games for the next month are tomorrow against the Mavs and on the 20th against the Spurs. If they can make it past that without the Grizz catching up I think they have the #1 seed locked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Illinois Smith posted:

Dubs' only home games for the next month are tomorrow against the Mavs and on the 20th against the Spurs. If they can make it past that without the Grizz catching up I think they have the #1 seed locked down.

And the odds of the Thunder sneaking into that 8 seed are getting longer by the day.

• Locked thread