Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I feel like this poo poo was more prevalent in the vietnam war, but way less cared about documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Try reading through Caputo's "A Rumor of War". You see about the same behavior happening around the same time frames. For similar reasons too, high op tempo, trained for a different mission, higher not knowing what it was doing...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Steezo posted:

Try reading through Caputo's "A Rumor of War". You see about the same behavior happening around the same time frames. For similar reasons too, high op tempo, trained for a different mission, higher not knowing what it was doing...

One of my favorite Vietnam era novels was "Battle for the Central Highlands" depicting an SF camps trial by fire of forming a manageable battalion of ARVN

Are there any books of note that depict the initial invasion of Iraq from first hand accounts? Or Afghanistan for that matter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 14, 2015

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I thought Generation Kill was pretty decent.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Horse Soldiers is an excellent one re: Afghanistan. Highly recommended.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Horse Soldiers is an excellent one re: Afghanistan. Highly recommended.

Looks amazing, will buy.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The Rat posted:

I thought Generation Kill was pretty decent.

I believe you mean, loving badass.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I liked the afterword in the newer edition, after the TV show came out. One of the actual guys was saying that one of the actors was saying "I get how you guys have PTSD now" and he's saying, what the gently caress, you're an actor, what the gently caress would you know.

It was the only war movie/series that really struck me as getting it. All the grunt dialogue in the little scenes, anyways. Watching Band of Brothers and hearing the dudes discuss the meaning of freedom or whatever strikes me as old men nostalgically describing poo poo through rose-tinted glasses rather than fresh memories. Which I guess is how that series got its source material after all.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My unit distributed free popcorn from the boy scouts this drill. I had like 4 bags

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
How's the BEQ on Yongsan? I report there this summer and am very much looking forward to being like one of like 15 total Marines in Seoul.

I'm a Staff Sergeant... everyone's going to call me Sarge aren't they? :allears:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

terre packet posted:

How's the BEQ on Yongsan? I report there this summer and am very much looking forward to being like one of like 15 total Marines in Seoul.

I'm a Staff Sergeant... everyone's going to call me Sarge aren't they? :allears:

The only thing you're going to have to worry about at Yongsan is dudes from Area 1 shanking you in the loving street when they hear you're stationed there.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

terre packet posted:

You'll be in a small townhouse with two other guys. Odds are pretty good that the only thing you'll be missing from said townhouse is a bathtub--it'll have a small kitchen, washer, and dryer.

quote:

Sergeant or sir unless they're used to dealing with Marines.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

terre packet posted:

The proper pronunciation is sarnt.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

terre packet posted:

how about dont be such a douche about trivial poo poo? be the change you wanna see stasarnt

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Sarnt is a word.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Master Bateman posted:

Sarnt is a word.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

The proper pronunciation is sarnt.

There's another way to say it?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Pesticide20 posted:

There's another way to say it?

If there is, I've never heard it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think it's one of the sounds that comes before the sound of a boot being planted in someone's rear end.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think it's one of the sounds that comes before the sound of a boot being planted in someone's rear end.

I always say it when I know I can't just call the guy by his first name because we're at work and he outranks me, but if we were drinking it'd be totally cool for me to call him Chris or Nate or whatever

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
marines are gay for giving a poo poo about army not saying the full rank for NCOs until 1SG.

that's right, i didn't capitalize marine. suck my gay army dick from the back.

:gay:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

marines are gay for giving a poo poo about army not saying the full rank for NCOs until 1SG.

but you capitalized nco and 1sg :confused:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

but you capitalized nco and 1sg :confused:

If ever there were a case for av/post combo...

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i was phone postin

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:nallears:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mike-o posted:

"top"

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I give N4i all of the cr sit for this emote being used

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

Master Funnery Sargent is gonna rip you a new rear end in a top hat, rah?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does anyone actually call their PSG "smoke" anymore? I think I heard some gay ADA people using it, but I'm not sure.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

some gay ADA people

Let me stop you right there.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

First page of Black Hearts "In memory of -page full of names- 2005-2006,"

:stonk: gently caress

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

First page of Black Hearts "In memory of -page full of names- 2005-2006,"

:stonk: gently caress

CPT Blake Russel...did the company CO get whacked?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
And that's a batallion. We lost 14 dudes just in my company in Iraq. :smith:

Somehow we didn't end up raping a teenager and kill an entire family.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Fuckin' a :(

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

CPT Blake Russel...did the company CO get whacked?

"Bravo company was hit the hardest, Within Bravo's first ninety days in theater all three of its platoon leaders, its first sergeant, a squad leader and a team leader had been wiped from the battlefield by death or injury"

mein gott

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 18, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gently caress

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
gently caress

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

And that's a batallion. We lost 14 dudes just in my company in Iraq. :smith:

Somehow we didn't end up raping a teenager and kill an entire family.

jesus christ :sigh:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

On a lighter note, has anyone else received a $100 naked wines gift card from Amazon? it was in the package with my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

LeoMarr posted:

On a lighter note, has anyone else received a $100 naked wines gift card from Amazon? it was in the package with my book.

I just got one in a box I received from Newegg. Also got a coupon for "3-month XSplit Premium license". I guess it is for streaming games. If anyone wants it lemme know and I'll pm you the code.

• Locked thread