Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which SEC team will Kentucky lose to?
This poll is closed.
None of them 17 16.67%
None of them 16 15.69%
None of them 19 18.63%
None of them 16 15.69%
None of them 17 16.67%
None of them 17 16.67%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

SporkOfTruth posted:

Indiana was responsible for one of the most exciting Super Regionals last year so this is a pretty bad post!

Wasn't that the first time a Big Ten team made the College World Series in like 30 years though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Why does the Big 10 even bother with baseball if it starts in February. Pretty much every Big 10 school still has snow on the ground for the first month of the season. ISU went to club baseball I think my freshman year, not that anyone really cared about it to begin with. The south and west coast teams will always dominate.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Things are not looking good for Aaron Cosby's future with the Illini, though it's not clear what happened.

Probably Magic posted:

College golf.
Illinois excels at the country club sports for some reason.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Power five conferences considering making freshman of all sports ineligible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

college sports are so dang dumb

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh it's "will never happen" day. Okay let me tell you about my plans for reconstructing the AAU system.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
I'll believe it when I see it. No way that ever gets passed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
P5 conferences making freshmen ineligible would just lead to decades of Big East supremacy in basketball. Since that's where all the players with pro potential would concentrate.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kentucky will fight this till the end of time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wrong thread

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Glad that NCAA coaches have 15 timeouts per half so they can stop fast breaks from happening.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 14, 2015

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yeah, Kentucky is obviously the most extreme case of that rule, but in basketball freshmen really can make an impact on teams, not to mention it's really dumb.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
N: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

V: UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!

:bang:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

N: Bears play well but lose in Lawrence

V: Goddammit, KU isn't even that good :argh:

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
That whole last few minutes of UVa Wake was like a repetitive Worst Case Scenario come true...

Ok 4 minutes left, just don't turn it over or foul them

3:50 Cornelius Hudson Steal. 48-55
3:47 48-55 Foul on Anthony Gill.

WELP. Ok when they foul, just hit our free throws, 85% shooter on the li

3:20 50-56 London Perrantes made Free Throw.
3:20 50-56 London Perrantes missed Free Throw.

gently caress. Ok just don't give up any three poi

3:09 Cornelius Hudson made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Codi Miller-McIntyre. 53-56
2:23 Konstantinos Mitoglou made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Codi Miller-McIntyre. 56-58

GOD DAMMMNIT. Well it's getting under a minute, lets at least get a high percentage shot from one of our best playe

0:49 56-60 Evan Nolte missed Three Point Jumper.

Well poo poo. loving ehll just dont' let the fucker Mitoglou (5 threes already) get a wide open three pointer in transi

0:40 Konstantinos Mitoglou made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Cornelius Hudson. 59-60

MOTHER FUDCKEAEH GLA Well there's 40 seconds left, run the clock down, keep the ball in Brogdon's hands so if they don't foul they hvae no time, fi they do foul he's automatic WHAT ARE YOU DOING GILL UNDER THE BASKET FOULED gently caress HE NEEDS TO HIT THESE

0:28 59-61 Anthony Gill made Free Throw.
0:28 59-61 Anthony Gill missed Free Throw.

OHH poo poo OK UP By 2 STRONG DEFENSE DON"T FOUL

0:17 59-61 Foul on Malcolm Brogdon.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA JESUS CHRIST WORST CASE SCENARIO HE HITS THE FIRST, MISSES THE SECOND AND THEY GET THE REBOUND

0:17 Codi Miller-McIntyre made Free Throw. 60-61
0:17 Codi Miller-McIntyre missed Free Throw. 60-61
0:17 Codi Miller-McIntyre Offensive Rebound. 60-61
0:12 Wake Forest Timeout

OH gently caress ME. gently caress ME> BUCK ME> gently caress CUCK gently caress gently caress THI SIS NOT HAPPENING

0:02 Codi Miller-McIntyre Turnover. 60-61
0:02 60-61 Malcolm Brogdon Steal.
0:00 End of Game

JESUS I JUTS PISSED MYSELF OVER THIS I HOPE YOUR HAPPY

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

paperchaseguy posted:

JESUS I JUTS PISSED MYSELF OVER THIS I HOPE YOUR HAPPY

As a Wake fan, no I am not happy. Not sad though, and if Manning pulls in the class he could in 2016....look out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

As a Wake fan, no I am not happy. Not sad though, and if Manning pulls in the class he could in 2016....look out.

Seems like he's got that program back on track a lot faster than Buzz in Blacksburg or whoever the hell is coaching Boston College.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
N: GO
V: WOLFPACK

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Probably Magic posted:

N: GO
V: WOLFPACK
This but for Nevada

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seems like he's got that program back on track a lot faster than Buzz in Blacksburg or whoever the hell is coaching Boston College.

It would certainly appear Wake has come out ahead of any recent ACC coaching switches excepting Miami, yes.

Semi-related: Am I the only one who kinda thinks Shaka Smart hosed up? I feel like the shine has come off VCU a bit but maybe they'll make another huge tourney run and I'll look like a dumbass.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Semi-related: Am I the only one who kinda thinks Shaka Smart hosed up? I feel like the shine has come off VCU a bit but maybe they'll make another huge tourney run and I'll look like a dumbass.

They were in great shape before losing Briante Weber for the year, and the defense has kinda fallen apart without him. If they still had Weber, that buzzer-beater layup loss to Bonaventure probably doesn't happen, and they could've beat La Salle in regulation instead of losing in double-overtime.

VCU still has the talent to win a tourney game or two, but they don't look like the Sweet 16/Elite 8 lock they did a month ago.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It would certainly appear Wake has come out ahead of any recent ACC coaching switches excepting Miami, yes.

I don't know or care much about BC, but Buzz will still come good at VT, and pretty quickly too. Wake looks even better this year than I expected (and I was a big fan of Manning already), but the Deacs, bad as they were last year, still started off this year in way better position than the Hokies did.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I gotta say, I'm bracing myself for a disappointing March, but this KU team can pleasantly surprise when you're starting to doubt them. Not entirely sure what to make of them at all.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SpiritualDeath posted:

This but for Nevada

nah

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Butler F Andrew Chrabascz broke his hand last night and is now out 2-4 weeks.

gently caress.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Last week Kim Anderson was flying to recruit someone or something and his plane lost an engine after takeoff and they had to make an emergency landing. Then yesterday the plane Mississippi State was taking back to Starkville had the exact same thing happen.

Columbia Regional Airport is trying to kill bad basketball :ohdear:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Last week Kim Anderson was flying to recruit someone or something and his plane lost an engine after takeoff and they had to make an emergency landing. Then yesterday the plane Mississippi State was taking back to Starkville had the exact same thing happen.

Columbia Regional Airport is trying to kill bad basketball :ohdear:
The plane Oregon State's team was on yesterday had to turn around and land when another passenger was stung by a scorpion.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I got a bit of nostalgia and watched john wall highlights from his time at UK and it's just unfair. He pulls NBA moves on college kids.

You can pinpoint the exact moment UK became the top program in the nation. John wall's midnight madness intro.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo0D-Edxuq0

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The plane Oregon State's team was on yesterday had to turn around and land when another passenger was stung by a scorpion.

What the gently caress? Hello nightmares.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Fox Sports published an oral history of Billy Gillespie's time at Kentucky, talking to a lot of former players and people around the program. It's long, but a fairly entertaining read. Gillespie really was just a mess

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Good thing it wasn't snakes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warheadr posted:

Fox Sports published an oral history of Billy Gillespie's time at Kentucky, talking to a lot of former players and people around the program. It's long, but a fairly entertaining read. Gillespie really was just a mess

He seemed so good at A&M, I thought it was a fine hire until...well he wasn't good at all. And apparently is so toxic he can't even get a job anymore.

e: Haha this can't be real. Like obviously what he says isn't real but the incident can't actually be real. Right?

Mary Jo Perino -- Sports Anchor at WLEX-TV in Lexington posted:

I saw him at dinner at a restaurant later that night. He again came up to my table and stood there and said, "Did you know I've been married twice. Both my wives are dead." I said, "Coach, I thought you were divorced just once." He said, "No, both my wives are dead. Do you want to know how they died?" I said sure. He said, "The first one died from eating poisonous mushrooms. And the second one died from a blow to the back of the head when she wouldn't eat the poisonous mushrooms."

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 17, 2015

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
I did not know he was as creepy/misogynistic as he apparently was, not surprised I guess, but still.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

warheadr posted:

That's a good article, a little to nice to Tubby who while well liked was done on Kentucky given his record.

Kentucky is a weird program as its like Coaching the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys or Hab in term of what kind of culture you live in. Gillespie clearly wasn't a good fit.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
That was a huge, huge win for WVU. Locks us in for the dance likely, and gives us momentum into a stretch that could be a huge resume builder.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Other than at Oklahoma, that was the really loseable game for Kansas, so I'm betting that's the final regular season loss for them.

Kinda depressing how obvious that loss was.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Probably Magic posted:

Other than at Oklahoma, that was the really loseable game for Kansas, so I'm betting that's the final regular season loss for them.

I think Kansas will finish out strong though, but good lord the Big XII tourney is going to be incredible.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

And yet some rubes were still stupid enough to take Kansas -1 even though they knew it was a trap.

(it's me, I'm the rube)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

And yet some rubes were still stupid enough to take Kansas -1 even though they knew it was a trap.

(it's me, I'm the rube)

Two-point margin that, up until eight seconds left, looked to come true. Looks like Vegas came close yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

warheadr posted:

the stories that are now coming out about him are amazing. When he was coaching at uk there were constant rumors that just seemed too insane to be true. I remember a waitress telling me that Gillispie had grabbed a 19 year old hostess and jumped into a pool with her, and I did not believe it but welp, we gave a crazy alcoholic the keys to the program for a couple of years

• Locked thread