Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which SEC team will Kentucky lose to?
This poll is closed.
None of them 17 16.67%
None of them 16 15.69%
None of them 19 18.63%
None of them 16 15.69%
None of them 17 16.67%
None of them 17 16.67%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Jorts in the bathroom stall is still my favorite Gillispie story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
News: Virginia held Pitt scoreless for >5 minutes three times last night

Views: Virginia is ruining college basketball, apparently

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

News: Virginia held Pitt scoreless for >5 minutes three times last night

Views: Virginia is ruining college basketball, apparently

Hint: it's not the defense.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Hint: it's not the defense.

Yeah I know. Only a 107 efficiency last night. And this kind of thing:

http://www.theacc.com/video/54e2a44de4b0f9b51f582186

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12335161

Blech.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I never said they weren't efficient. They are super, super slow according to tempo stats (350 out of 351 according to kenpom), and from a game broadcast a week or so ago, you had a coach that didn't believe in lob dunks until this season. You're basically this season's Wisconsin for the thread.

It will be interesting to see how UVA's offense responds in a game where the defense isn't on point and a team makes them play faster than they want. Since conference play, they've only scored over 70 points twice and one of those games went to double overtime.

Also, learn to embrace the hate. You have a good basketball team. People pick because it's fun and the entire fan base gets really defensive for no reason.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 17, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if it wasn't clear, that post WAS me embracing the hate. I realize lots of people don't like it, and I am enjoying the hand wringing over what this does to college basketball.

While I don't worry much about teams speeding us up, I worry about where our offense will come from every game that Justin's out. Last night there was a lot of standing around on offense and not nearly enough post touches. I think without a guy like Joe Harris or Justin Anderson to keep things moving, we sometimes forget how to offense.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

vikingstrike posted:

Jorts in the bathroom stall is still my favorite Gillispie story.

I always found that to be one of the more tame stories. My friend's dad is a big shot booster (or was, I don't know that he gives as much now that he's retired) and as such my friend got full access to hang out with the team on a gameday trip to Louisville I think it was. It was when Andre Riddick was still on the team, and apparently he had an awful game and smarted off to Pitino. My friend told me that Pitino was ripping him on the bus, and stopped mid-sentence and walked back to the tiny bathroom on the bus and apparently took a giant poo poo. Then he came back, and told Riddick he had to ride in the bathroom for the entire trip back to Lexington.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
chris jones has been suspended. the saddest part is that i'm not sure if that makes us better or worse

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina suspended forward Demetrius Henry (a starter) and forward Shamiek Sheppard (a promising freshman) for the remainder of the regular season. Incredibly, with only nine scholarship players, we completed a season sweep of Georgia and Frank Martin got his first SEC road win. Feels good, man.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
What Michigan State did to Michigan last night is how any team that is good should be playing Michigan.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Sorry if it wasn't clear, that post WAS me embracing the hate. I realize lots of people don't like it, and I am enjoying the hand wringing over what this does to college basketball.

While I don't worry much about teams speeding us up, I worry about where our offense will come from every game that Justin's out. Last night there was a lot of standing around on offense and not nearly enough post touches. I think without a guy like Joe Harris or Justin Anderson to keep things moving, we sometimes forget how to offense.

We're boring because the shot clock rule is dumb. For many possessions we don't really get started until 15-20 seconds have gone by. London usually takes ~8 seconds to bring the ball past half court, which gives me a heart attack, but I think it's all part of the plan. If the shot clock rules were different, we would probably get into our offense earlier. Tony Bennett's offense is a product of the rules of the game and the strengths of his players. Blaming UVA for being boring is more of an indictment of NCAA basketball rules than haters may realize. That being said, we can still be incredibly boring to watch on offense. I miss Justin's wild dunks/boards where he would jump so high that it would look like he would land on his back :(

One of my friends expects he will back within a week because if anyone would lie to the trainers about the severity of his injury, it's Justin Anderson.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brannigans Law posted:

One of my friends expects he will back within a week because if anyone would lie to the trainers about the severity of his injury, it's Justin Anderson.

Well I did hear that someone close to the team was privately saying their expectation was 3-4 weeks, but that's about as hearsay as you can get.

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
While Virginia's offensive efficiency numbers are outstanding, when you watch them it still looks like they have trouble scoring when a game gets tight. Without Anderson to space the floor the offense has looked even more tight to me.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Kentucky is 13th out of 14 teams in the SEC in tempo. They have John Calipari as their coach. And seven one-and-dones in the past three years.

And WE'RE the bad guys?

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
They dunk slightly harder than we do. We also start the only collegiate/pro athlete that looks more like Napoleon Dynamite than Nick Foles

e: after doing an image search, it appears he is compared more to Butthead from Beavis and Butthead

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

paperchaseguy posted:

Kentucky is 13th out of 14 teams in the SEC in tempo. They have John Calipari as their coach. And seven one-and-dones in the past three years.

And WE'RE the bad guys?

Well, given that you still manage to play slower than them, yes.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

vikingstrike posted:

Well, given that you still manage to play slower than them, yes.

if only you knew the power of the dark side

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Virginia averages 1 fewer shot per game than Kentucky. Makes a big difference.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Chris Jones has been suspended indefinitely at Louisville.

Oops missed Kewpuh's post on this.

Also gonna repost this:

vikingstrike posted:

People pick because it's fun and the entire fan base gets really defensive for no reason.

Also you guys realize I cheer for Kentucky and this year it's basically the pot calling the kettle black? Yeah UVA is 350 out of 351 in tempo but Kentucky is like 265. lol. Just keep winning and it doesn't matter.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 18, 2015

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Virginia needs Anderson to come back with no rust. That offense won't make it past the 16/8 rounds as it currently stands.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Ungratek posted:

Virginia needs Anderson to come back with no rust. That offense won't make it past the 16/8 rounds as it currently stands.

Our defense can hold off a large portion of the NCAA. It's really going to depend on our matchups. Currently my biggest fears are teams with big men who can shoot. The "pack line" works better against the pick and roll than it does the pick and pop. For instance, I'm terrified of Frank Kaminsky (also see Adrien Payne last Sweet Sixteen). I'm hoping Perrantes starts shooting 30% of our shots to supplement the offense in the meantime. I love it when he hits a step back over a taller defender. My gut tells me Anderson will come back with a vengeance when attacking the rim but his shooting will be off.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I think UVA is a very good team, but even with Anderson I think they're susceptible to match up issues in the same way Wisconsin has been in the tourney. (Note: that's nothing really endemic to them, per say -- just an observation.) I think that if they got matched up with someone who could really speed them up they'll have trouble.

Also I think if they went against a team that can really rebound well, they'll have a lot of problems.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
If only we had just played a top 15 team with top 15 tempo who could really force us out of our game. We probably wouldn't be up by 18 near the end of the game or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi_vAXH--c

eta: Duke did push the tempo against us early in the game, which caught us off guard. I don't think that will happen again, and that's one of the reasons I really want to play them again in the ACC tournament.

Without Justin our offense is much less effective. We should still get a win in the ACCT and make the sweet 16, at which point even in the worst case scenario Justin will be back and we'll be nearly 100% again.

Our biggest weakness defensively this year has been teams with a big man who can shoot threes. And, well, that's a matchup problem for almost anyone.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You'd think at UVA they would teach that n=2 is not a large enough sample size to draw any worthwhile conclusions. (UVA did handle the UNC game really well, though. Especially on the road.)

edit: Your post actually had me look at the Duke and UNC box scores. Seems like the biggest difference was shooting. Took about the same number of shots but made 3 more 3pa and 5 more fga. Given that Duke and UNC are rated about the same defensively, the Duke game was probably more an off-night since the UNC game was closer to their season averages.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 19, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dorian Finney-Smith is our leading scorer. He has been suspended indefinitely.

Michael Frazier is still out with a bad ankle.

We are 12-13 and like 2-8 in single digit losses. Also, we are averaging 65.4 PPG lol.

This is the worst season I can remember under Billy Donovan.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You also have a healthy lead for last place on kenpom's luck statistic, so you've got that going for you...

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Kentucky has so few possessions per game because other teams think that's the best chance to beat them. Teams that have tried to play us fast have been ran out of the gym.

Kenpom still has Kentucky at #1 in offensive efficiency. Virginia is #2. What that tells me is that their opponents are more responsible for low scoring games and fewer possessions. I haven't watched much of virginia this season but Kentucky will gladly play fast if a team lets them

Bishop fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 19, 2015

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bishop posted:

Kentucky has so few possessions per game because other teams think that's the best chance to beat them. Teams that have tried to play us fast have been ran out of the gym.

Kenpom still has Kentucky at #1 in offensive efficiency. Virginia is #2. What that tells me is that their opponents are more responsible for low scoring games and fewer possessions. I haven't watched much of virginia this season but Kentucky will gladly play fast if a team let's them

You're looking at AdjD. They are 7 and 19 for AdjO, respectively (still really good).

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Oops that's what posting about advanced stats from my phone leads to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Dorian Finney-Smith is our leading scorer. He has been suspended indefinitely.

Michael Frazier is still out with a bad ankle.

We are 12-13 and like 2-8 in single digit losses. Also, we are averaging 65.4 PPG lol.

This is the worst season I can remember under Billy Donovan.

Does that one armed guy ever get in the game?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Grittybeard posted:

Does that one armed guy ever get in the game?

He got playing time in a game early this year.

We haven't really had a "garbage time" situation for him to see the court in quite a while though :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

He got playing time in a game early this year.

We haven't really had a "garbage time" situation for him to see the court in quite a while though :(

Do Florida fans feel good about keeping Donovan? I've always wondered if he'd go after a Carolina job or something similar.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He's turned down Kentucky (was an assistant in the early 90s there) twice and the Magic once so I think he's at Florida for the long haul.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

vikingstrike posted:

You'd think at UVA they would teach that n=2 is not a large enough sample size to draw any worthwhile conclusions. (UVA did handle the UNC game really well, though. Especially on the road.)

edit: Your post actually had me look at the Duke and UNC box scores. Seems like the biggest difference was shooting. Took about the same number of shots but made 3 more 3pa and 5 more fga. Given that Duke and UNC are rated about the same defensively, the Duke game was probably more an off-night since the UNC game was closer to their season averages.

Also that UNC hasn't been incredibly consistent. Or for that matter, Duke.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bryant McIntosh is pretty good considering he is a Northwestern player and appears to be 14 years old.

e:

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 19, 2015

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bryant McIntosh is pretty good considering he is a Northwestern player and appears to be 14 years old.
Yes, particularly compared to that guy who played the cop turned teacher in The Wire.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Do Florida fans feel good about keeping Donovan? I've always wondered if he'd go after a Carolina job or something similar.

I would be devastated if he left. He is hands down one of the best college basketball coaches in recent history and any Florida fan who has soured on him because of one down year is an idiot.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Donovan turned down Kentucky, but that was a year or two after he won his titles. He might be less comfortable at Florida now. I agree he's a fantastic coach and Florida would be insane to look for anyone else. There's only 4 or 5 coaches in the nation I'd take over him

E: beaten

Bishop fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 19, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Florida and Donovan will be fine, it's just a down year and their luck is reaching near-historical lows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Yeah Florida under Donovan has proved that they aren't a flash in the pan, they've had multiple good runs. they'll be back and that's good for SEC basketball

• Locked thread