Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which SEC team will Kentucky lose to?
This poll is closed.
None of them 17 16.67%
None of them 16 15.69%
None of them 19 18.63%
None of them 16 15.69%
None of them 17 16.67%
None of them 17 16.67%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Meant to post in the gdt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bryant McIntosh is pretty good considering he is a Northwestern player and appears to be 14 years old.

e:

Oh, he doesn't have leukemia?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Wrong thread.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I am fairly confident this is the worst Mizzou team ever in my lifetime (this includes football). They're going to end up with one win in a bad conference and are appearing to get worse as the season goes on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

I am fairly confident this is the worst Mizzou team ever in my lifetime (this includes football). They're going to end up with one win in a bad conference and are appearing to get worse as the season goes on.

I'm pretty sure it's the worst basketball team at least since Norm's first year. Probably since a guy named Bob Vanetta went 3-22 the year before.

e: that's be since 1966 or '67 just to be clear. Also I still think a lot of the blame goes to Haith even if Kim Anderson is a dud. And Alden for bringing the whole situation about of course.

Also football was in a terrible way for a lot of years (maybe before you were alive). 2000-'02 was bad and you probably were alive, but '84 to '96 was pure poo poo all around with the best part being two 5-6 seasons.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 19, 2015

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

News: ISU won at Oklahoma State. The last time ISU won back-to-back at OSU is 73-74.

Views: 2nd place feels really good, but that TTU loss stings even more. ISU would be tied for first otherwise. I really want ISU to finish strong the rest of the way to gain confidence going into the tournament, and a better seed of course. They have struggled on the road, but the last three road games are winnable (Texas, KSU, TCU).

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Benne posted:

Florida and Donovan will be fine, it's just a down year and their luck is reaching near-historical lows.

I feel their pain.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meltathon posted:

News: ISU won at Oklahoma State. The last time ISU won back-to-back at OSU is 73-74.

Views: 2nd place feels really good, but that TTU loss stings even more. ISU would be tied for first otherwise. I really want ISU to finish strong the rest of the way to gain confidence going into the tournament, and a better seed of course. They have struggled on the road, but the last three road games are winnable (Texas, KSU, TCU).

Ugh. That Tech loss is killer now. We'll probably finish more than one game behind Kansas anyway, but it still sucks.

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
I like Iowa State as a team to bet on in the tourney. The ability to score with ease and from multiple positions is a huge advantage in the one and done format. The struggles away from home are the only thing that give me pause, but the win last night in Stillwater was very impressive.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the worst basketball team at least since Norm's first year. Probably since a guy named Bob Vanetta went 3-22 the year before.

e: that's be since 1966 or '67 just to be clear. Also I still think a lot of the blame goes to Haith even if Kim Anderson is a dud. And Alden for bringing the whole situation about of course.

Also football was in a terrible way for a lot of years (maybe before you were alive). 2000-'02 was bad and you probably were alive, but '84 to '96 was pure poo poo all around with the best part being two 5-6 seasons.

I was alive in the mid-80s but I guess I didn't follow Mizzou football much until the Corby Jones era. Still, it's hard to imagine 5-6 teams being worse than a team that is going to probably manage ONE (!!!) win in a Not Very Good SEC and struggled against most of the cupcakes they scheduled (including a loss at home to UMKC). This season is what it must be like to be a KU football fan.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

WillKane posted:

I like Iowa State as a team to bet on in the tourney. The ability to score with ease and from multiple positions is a huge advantage in the one and done format. The struggles away from home are the only thing that give me pause, but the win last night in Stillwater was very impressive.

I really like watching Iowa State play, but I just don't think their defense is good enough to make a real long run in the tournament. From what I have seen, when the shots just aren't falling, it's really tough for them to grind out a win.

Of course, they could shoot red hot in the tournament and/or get a series of great matchups, so who knows.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This is par for the course for Donovan. He's a peak-and-valley, rise-and-fall guy.

1996-1999: Build the program up every season, from crap to NIT to making an NCAA run.
2000: Final Four.
2001-2005: Always good teams, but not exactly the sum of their parts, capable of hilarious first-round losses in the NCAAs.
2006-2007: Back-to-back champs.
2008-2010: NIT/bubble teams that never quite put it together.
2010-2014: Elite Eight runs and a Final Four.
2015: Womp womp.

Odds are good Florida will have a bolded section again.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mike_V posted:

This season is what it must be like to be a KU football fan.

Yeah, but for five straight years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OctoberBlues posted:

I really like watching Iowa State play, but I just don't think their defense is good enough to make a real long run in the tournament. From what I have seen, when the shots just aren't falling, it's really tough for them to grind out a win.

Of course, they could shoot red hot in the tournament and/or get a series of great matchups, so who knows.

When the shots aren't falling ISU goes into panic mode and starts playing out of control and turning it over constantly. It has happened probably half a dozen times this season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Oklahoma game was the latest example of this. They got behind by a little bit, and went into full panic mode, which just made things worse. It's like everyone tries to win the game by themselves instead of sticking to what has worked. If ISU plays up to their potential every game, they could easily be an Elite 8 team, but of course that's a big if.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, but for five straight years.

We should have let Mangino piss in players' faces if he wanted to.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thoguh posted:

Ugh. That Tech loss is killer now. We'll probably finish more than one game behind Kansas anyway, but it still sucks.

I now want WVU to seal your BIG XII championship so you have to begrudgingly be thankful for us.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a great fear that Duke will win out and UVa will drop 2 or more and lose the regular season title (that doesn't exist), and a 1 seed that goes with it. I was really counting on UNC last night.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a great fear that Duke will win out and UVa will drop 2 or more and lose the regular season title (that doesn't exist), and a 1 seed that goes with it. I was really counting on UNC last night.

Some of it will depend on what happens with the injury, tbh.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This news is a few days old, but Murray State became the first team this season to clinch an outright conference championship. Congrats to the Racers, champions of the Ohio Valley Conference!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I now want WVU to seal your BIG XII championship so you have to begrudgingly be thankful for us.

I'd be down. I hate WVUs style of play, I don't have anything against them winning games ISU isn't a part of.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So do other schools do stuff like this? Cards distributed to IU fans for tonight's game vs purdue:

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Isaac Haas uses Tinder?!?!

Well they sure showed him

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I assume using Tinder as a basketball player at a D1 school is basically like being able to order unlimited ordering delivery from a gourmet restaurant. Except instead of food you're ordering hot college girls.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Watch out, fuckers, Northwestern has won

Big Ten games

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thoguh posted:

I'd be down. I hate WVUs style of play, I don't have anything against them winning games ISU isn't a part of.

WVU doesn't play zone, is therefore cool.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I kind of enjoy a well run zone. That has nothing to do with whoever ISU might see this year though.

Or anyone else in college ball I guess.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Arizona did its thing, crushed USC 87-57. I mean, USC is terrible, but that's a nice look.

Tied for first Utah also played a game with an impressive scoreline, winning over Oregon State 47-37. The first half score was 16-14. That must've been unwatchable.

The last (and, really, only) important Pac-12 game is next Saturday, Arizona @ Utah. Pac-12 is a complete shitheap beyond those two teams.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 20, 2015

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eltoasto posted:

So do other schools do stuff like this? Cards distributed to IU fans for tonight's game vs purdue:

Yes.

Most big schools do things like that I believe. I know Michigan holds student meetings before games to go over specifics of things.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Best part is that's the face he made when going into the half with the lead

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
I'm looking forward to the Arizona/Utah game. I like Utah and they are tough at home. Arizona has more overall talent, they seem to almost be flying under the radar just a bit. Often the best matchups are when the higher ranked and more talented team goes on the road.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

We occasionally will run "point drop" which is basically a match-up zone, but yeah its pretty rare for us to do it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OctoberBlues posted:

They've been a bit better about this lately in terms of not getting absolutely piss-pounded if we're not shooting 14/25 on threes.

This is a fun team but they aren't as strong as last year's team overall and I've tempered my expectations to maybe a Sweet 16 run unless they happen to get hot at the right time, like last year.

Last year's team I think had a legit chance to win it all if Niang hadn't gotten injured.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The last (and, really, only) important Pac-12 game is next Saturday, Arizona @ Utah. Pac-12 is a complete shitheap beyond those two teams.

Arizona will still find another way to lose to some lovely mid-level Pac 12 team on the road. Probably next week in Boulder, since I'll be at that one.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

N: WVU beats OK Lite on the road.

V: If we weren't locked in, we are now. :toot:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Absolute Zero posted:

Arizona will still find another way to lose to some lovely mid-level Pac 12 team on the road. Probably next week in Boulder, since I'll be at that one.
This is true, and it boggles the mind that the team that's probably won 90% of its Pac-12 games in ridiculous blowouts lost to Oregon State and ASU. We'd better beat UCLA tonight, because that's the worst game to lose.

Fun "Pac-12 is lovely" fact: according to Kenpom, Arizona is #3, Utah is #4. The third-best team in the conference, according to Kenpom, is #37 Stanford.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol Penn State should just loving quit basketball

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol Penn State should just loving quit basketball

Turns out Northwestern is a powerhouse now, they just needed Iowa to remind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm inside you, San Jose.

Fear the Spear, Spartans :getin:

• Locked thread