Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many Simpsons podcasts are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I'm listening to the latest worst episode ever and I can't believe how much Dan and Jack missed the point of that episode. It feels like they are too attached to their idea that The Simpsons has to remain static that it broke their brains imagining Bart aging into a teenager.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

logger posted:

I'm listening to the latest worst episode ever and I can't believe how much Dan and Jack missed the point of that episode. It feels like they are too attached to their idea that The Simpsons has to remain static that it broke their brains imagining Bart aging into a teenager.

Originality: "Well it was pretty different and we really haven't seen anything like it and we like when they take chances but it was based on a movie so 1.5 out of 5."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
They seem pretty loving impossible to please sometimes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Double post but I'm happy that they mentioned that there's a podcast for Columbo called Just One More Thing. I'll definitely have to give that a listen.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, has anyone continued to listen to this podcast? Has it gotten better?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, has anyone continued to listen to this podcast? Has it gotten better?

Yes and no, not really.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
They had one podcast where they both drunkenly rambled for what felt like 30 minutes about some fight they got in when they were kids. I have no idea how it related to the episode they were discussing.

So to answer your question, I'm still listening, and it really hasn't improved. Has anyone ever listened to their outtakes?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I wouldn't say its exactly improved but it has gotten less bad though. They've cutback on the voices and poo poo which makes it much, much more tolerable to listen to.

I do have a bit of an odd question though. What is it with Simpsons fans and admitting anything past season 9 is better than awful is as hard as passing a kidney stone? I've seen it other places too but they can't just let an episode stand on its own merrits, good or bad. It always, ALWAYS gets compared to season 2-9. Yeah, yeah I know they're classics, I agree but it's tiresome and incredibly snobbish to have everything held to that standard. I mean on WEE I always hear poo poo like "Well how does X joke compare to Y joke from episode Z? Does it feel like classic Simpsons?"

Edit: This front page article from a little while ago feels pretty relevant here: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/simpsons-jump-shark/

Tracula fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 26, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I think part of it is that post-classic episodes recycle plotlines. I can't claim to be an expert on post-classic Simpsons, but the most recent Simpsons episode I watched featured a new girl who Bart falls in love with, and it turns out she's bad and gets him in trouble, and then it turns out at the end that he still kind of likes her. If you've seen the episode where Jessica Lovejoy is introduced, it's basically impossible not to think of it when you're watching the other episode.

sotrain515
Oct 21, 2010
I personally think they've gotten a lot less obnoxious over time. The thing that bugged me the most about jack and dans characters was not necessarily the characs themselves (though Jesus was sideshow Mel annoying) but the fact that they always crack up for a minute when one of them trots one out. And dare I say it often sounds like "fake laughter" making it that much more cringey.

I know they both listen to cbb from comments they've made and on that show when the guests corpse it's often the funniest part. I'm guessing that's what they think they're emulating (that and the friendly impulse to fake-laugh when your buddy is laying an egg). But Scott and pals are comedy pros and just as often let an awkward silence follow a clunker (to equally great comic effect IMO).

Anyway, I still mostly love the show. Haven't listened to an outtakes ep in a long time either; that definitely helps their batting average I'm sure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

So to answer your question, I'm still listening, and it really hasn't improved. Has anyone ever listened to their outtakes?

Once.

On the last episode they released they went into some especially terrible tangent that I just started skipping ahead hoping to find a place where it was over. When they stay on topic, they're fine, but they don't have the personality to carry the discussion much further than that.

Anyone brave enough to try their other podcast?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Random Stranger posted:

Once.

On the last episode they released they went into some especially terrible tangent that I just started skipping ahead hoping to find a place where it was over. When they stay on topic, they're fine, but they don't have the personality to carry the discussion much further than that.

Anyone brave enough to try their other podcast?

I have to say I like the show a lot.
At least now that they don't go overboard with the voices anymore.
It's also a real background show for me, you don't have to pay much attention to what's going on.

About their other show, 90 percentile: listen to #9: In Living Color (with Nick Noga).
They don't even talk about the subject at all I think, but the stories you get from their guest had me laughing a couple of times.
Yeah ok, it's just guys reminiscing... So what, it's funny.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

sotrain515 posted:

I personally think they've gotten a lot less obnoxious over time. The thing that bugged me the most about jack and dans characters was not necessarily the characs themselves (though Jesus was sideshow Mel annoying) but the fact that they always crack up for a minute when one of them trots one out. And dare I say it often sounds like "fake laughter" making it that much more cringey.

I think it's actually much worse when the one guy does a voice and the other guy is openly just like "Please stop, this is terrible, shut up." (I can't really differentiate them, they both sound the same to me.) At least when they crack themselves/each other up, they're laughing, but it seems much more common for one of the guys to just go completely silent and then ask if the other is done yet.

edit:

Random Stranger posted:

On the last episode they released they went into some especially terrible tangent that I just started skipping ahead hoping to find a place where it was over.

That story went on SO LONG and there was absolutely no payoff. Also they argued for like ten minutes about whether or not to say the N-word and then they dropped a bunch of F-bombs (not "gently caress" and, granted, only in the context of quotes, but still) without even thinking about it, and I thought that was kind of weird. The point of the story seemed to be, "My uncle knew some guy." :psyduck:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 27, 2016

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

mrfart posted:

About their other show, 90 percentile: listen to #9: In Living Color (with Nick Noga).
They don't even talk about the subject at all I think, but the stories you get from their guest had me laughing a couple of times.
Yeah ok, it's just guys reminiscng... So what, it's funny.

I would gladly listen to a Nick Noga podcast. His stories are infinitely more entertaining than Dan and Jack

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

sotrain515 posted:

I know they both listen to cbb from comments they've made and on that show when the guests corpse it's often the funniest part. I'm guessing that's what they think they're emulating (that and the friendly impulse to fake-laugh when your buddy is laying an egg). But Scott and pals are comedy pros and just as often let an awkward silence follow a clunker (to equally great comic effect IMO).

Anyway, I still mostly love the show. Haven't listened to an outtakes ep in a long time either; that definitely helps their batting average I'm sure.

Why don't you give episode 75 a chance and see how far you get. Wow I am never listening to this podcast again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Prop Wash posted:

Why don't you give episode 75 a chance and see how far you get. Wow I am never listening to this podcast again

I turned it off and deleted the feed when I realized I was half way through a 90 minute episode meant as a gag and I was actively annoyed with the hosts and hadn't laughed a single time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What was it

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tracula posted:

Double post but I'm happy that they mentioned that there's a podcast for Columbo called Just One More Thing. I'll definitely have to give that a listen.

I just bookmarked that. That could either be horrible or awesome.

Tracula posted:

I wouldn't say its exactly improved but it has gotten less bad though. They've cutback on the voices and poo poo which makes it much, much more tolerable to listen to.

I do have a bit of an odd question though. What is it with Simpsons fans and admitting anything past season 9 is better than awful is as hard as passing a kidney stone? I've seen it other places too but they can't just let an episode stand on its own merrits, good or bad. It always, ALWAYS gets compared to season 2-9. Yeah, yeah I know they're classics, I agree but it's tiresome and incredibly snobbish to have everything held to that standard. I mean on WEE I always hear poo poo like "Well how does X joke compare to Y joke from episode Z? Does it feel like classic Simpsons?"

Edit: This front page article from a little while ago feels pretty relevant here: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/simpsons-jump-shark/

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think part of it is that post-classic episodes recycle plotlines. I can't claim to be an expert on post-classic Simpsons, but the most recent Simpsons episode I watched featured a new girl who Bart falls in love with, and it turns out she's bad and gets him in trouble, and then it turns out at the end that he still kind of likes her. If you've seen the episode where Jessica Lovejoy is introduced, it's basically impossible not to think of it when you're watching the other episode.

I agree. But this also was influenced by the Simpsons production team going Kevin Smith on its online detractors by opening mocking long-time fans on the show itself in lieu of creative content. I'm sure a lot of fans were jerks about it, but when you run a TV show for nearly a decade you should know better than to tell your viewers to gently caress off in such a manner. One of the final straws was the Poochie episode where the writers use Bart to openly say "we've given you years of entertainment, you should just continue supporting us and watching and shutting the hell up." Even if you weren't a jerk of a fan, that's simply not the way you deal with criticism that you feel is unfounded, and it really soured a lot of people on a show that was entering a very lazy phase of its life.

Granted, I saw a bit of a Season 23 episode intro (the one where Moe attempts suicide) and it's great. But I imagine a lot of fans remember Seasons 10-13 and how it stung that not only had a really funny show stopped trying, but actively bitched about their fans complaining in lieu of being funny. And it's still something the creators whine about today without really thinking about it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Have you ever wondered what the braces/dental plan gag would sound like if it went two or three minutes and crescendoed with sideshow Mel voice

I'm honestly surprised the other guy made it past that part

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Prop Wash posted:

Have you ever wondered what the braces/dental plan gag would sound like if it went two or three minutes and crescendoed with sideshow Mel voice

I'm honestly surprised the other guy made it past that part

It doesn't improve from there by the way

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
The Aussie Four Finger Discount guys keep being a couple of try hards and interviewed Joe Mantegna in their latest episode. I am really enjoying their blossoming :)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

oldman posted:

The Aussie Four Finger Discount guys keep being a couple of try hards and interviewed Joe Mantegna in their latest episode. I am really enjoying their blossoming :)

Yeah they've been great to listen to, and watching each episode just before listening has been a great way to relive the early seasons. The guys are so much better now at just staying on topic (or at least isolating episode talk from chit-chat and storytelling), and thankfully cutting out most of the impressions and silly voices.

And yeah Joe Mantegna is a pretty good catch! Sounds like a nice guy as well.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I just bookmarked that. That could either be horrible or awesome.

It's not bad. Their update schedule is kind of random but they aren't overly spergy or nitpicky about things and do a good job of staying on topic.

sotrain515
Oct 21, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah turned that one off after about 10 minutes. A real shame since I kinda liked the empty nest one.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I agree. But this also was influenced by the Simpsons production team going Kevin Smith on its online detractors by opening mocking long-time fans on the show itself in lieu of creative content. I'm sure a lot of fans were jerks about it, but when you run a TV show for nearly a decade you should know better than to tell your viewers to gently caress off in such a manner. One of the final straws was the Poochie episode where the writers use Bart to openly say "we've given you years of entertainment, you should just continue supporting us and watching and shutting the hell up." Even if you weren't a jerk of a fan, that's simply not the way you deal with criticism that you feel is unfounded, and it really soured a lot of people on a show that was entering a very lazy phase of its life.

r u srsly shittalking the Poochie episode?????????????

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Man, I haven't been listening to this podcast for about a month now and I think my life is actually better for it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I'm never listening again and haven't for [whatever length of time since I said so in previous posts]. I thought this thread was now used to recommend alternative podcasts. I quite liked the podcast about Columbo and I might listen to another few of those.
http://www.columbopodcast.com/

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

r u srsly shittalking the Poochie episode?????????????

Only the bits where the writers decide to get preachy with the point of 'this is free, so you should enjoy it automatically.'

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I'm never listening again and haven't for [whatever length of time since I said so in previous posts]. I thought this thread was now used to recommend alternative podcasts. I quite liked the podcast about Columbo and I might listen to another few of those.
http://www.columbopodcast.com/

If we're just recommending alternative podcasts, I'd highly recommend You Must Remember This if you're at all interested in stories from 40s/50s/60s Hollywood. There was a 12-part series on the Manson family last year that was really good, and at the moment she's doing a bunch of shows about the blacklist and HUAC which are fascinating.

Give it a spin: http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I listen to "Talking Simpsons" podcasts as well, it follows the same format as 'Four Finger Discount' in that they go chronologically through the episodes. There is a SA connection through the host "Bob Servo", they are usually ok. I can't recommend the other podcasts of the Laser Time Network however, not nearly enough Simpsons chat.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why is this podcast bad? Is it just their recent stuff? I've only cherry picked a few specific episodes I was curious to hear feedback on

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

beep by grandpa posted:

Why is this podcast bad? Is it just their recent stuff? I've only cherry picked a few specific episodes I was curious to hear feedback on

It's bad, I don't remember the first one I listened to, but it wasn't terrible, so I gave it another shot. Then another, and one more before the "april fools" episode, and I could not finish it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
They officially lost me when they said that Lockout was a solid movie.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

It's d in that annoying way that you'll have to give it a listen to see if its for you or not. It's not new thought the rot started early and grew worse, the main complaint is that they spent more and more time each episode doing weird comedy skits, strange stories that don't go anywhere and impressions, a lot of impressions and almost none of them are about Simpsons characters, and they take up a third to a half of a podcast if not more. Some of their voices and odd asides were kinda funny in small doses but its just ballooned out of control.

Its a real shame because they seem like quite laid back and friendly guys, and they interact with their fans really well. When they weren't being so obnoxious about their dumb voice characters it was a really entertaining hour.

I used to listen every week but now I've given up entirely and have only kept this thread bookmarked for the other podcast requests. Thanks to whoever recommended We Hate Movies by the way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
As for podcasts I'm really digging on lately, I like Junk Food Dinner. Being a dork, and having spent many a Friday evening renting random rear end horror movies from Blockbuster, it's kind of a kindred spirit for me.

The first half of the show tends to be a little bit of catching up and movie news whatnot. The last half they review about three weird rear end movies. These movies are typically the kind you would have found at that little hole in the wall place downtown where you would have to go to rent anything that wasn't mainstream.

Just a warning though, episodes run close to two hours, so it's more for the post lunch work period before the last smoke break.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

beep by grandpa posted:

It's not that it's aggressively horrible or anything but mostly that it really wears down on you after a while with their memes and whatnot. They keep doing the same awful voices and jokes that fizzled out dozens of episodes ago. To me it always feels like they're podcasting as though nobody is listening and that they're just bullshitting back and forth about things like friends which is okay to a point but that point has long been passed.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

They still have a fanbase so you might find that you actually like there annoying gimmicks. God help you

To go back to what Tracula's saying I think this very thread is good evidence of this at work. At the start we're all positive (well apart from the usual griping about their rankings not tallying with ours) then the negatives start cropping up and the activity starts drying up. Then its a desert with the occasional "they're still at it post", and now this were most posts are about completely different podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Baka-nin posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended We Hate Movies by the way.

That might have been me. I love WHM. It is consistently funny, the humour is sharp, only a few in-jokes, good (or at least funny and diverse) impressions, rarely runs as long as 80/90min. It helps that every episode is on a different film. I would recommend WHM to anyone. The WHM thread is in the CineD sub-forum.

• Locked thread