Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

beep by grandpa posted:

Why is this podcast bad? Is it just their recent stuff? I've only cherry picked a few specific episodes I was curious to hear feedback on

I listened to at least 70 episodes.

The constantly contradicting themselves about their own opinions about The Simpsons is annoying, their stupid voices are kind of annoying, their constant in-jokes and stories about their boring lives are annoying. I did enjoy Hemis though.

I actually had a problem with some of their non-Simpsons opinions and their underlying attitude towards the world that I started to notice. One time this guy told me a story about when he used to be a car dealer, how there was a snow storm and he and another guy were looking out the window at the snow and saw a homeless lady who was on drugs struggling through the stuff and they went out and threw snowballs at her. Oh, how he did laugh. These hosts, particularly Jack, kind of remind me of that guy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Huh, not that I doubt you or anything(I've seen that sort of thing before) but could you give some examples because I listened to around that many too (mostly as background) I don't recall anything overtly dickish about them. They seem pretty okay if a little self absorbed. You've actually got me interested in this thing again.

sotrain515
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe he's talking about that story jack told (I think it was jack) about how he followed some kid around for months putting a sticker of this kids face he'd got from working at the yearbook committee or whatever in random places he knew the kid would be going to. And he thought it was really funny how freaked out it made this kid who he didn't even really know as I recall. That was ever so slightly off-putting IMO.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah, that story was weird. Anyway, if you want to listen to a better Simpsons podcast, you have (at least) three choices:

Talking Simpsons hosted by Something Awful's own bobservo. 40-45 minutes per episode, chronological and currently in the third season. Chill, straightforward, and friendly hosts. On the other hand, it has the same issue that his retro VG podcast does where he doesn't really go deep enough into what he's talking about and it ends up kind of just being a narrative overview.

Everything's Coming Up Podcast with two main hosts and a (usually semifamous and pretty funny) revolving guest per episode. About an hour long, tends to be half talking about the episode and half interview, but the episodes I've listened to have all been interesting. Doesn't follow any particular order, but usually earlier Simpsons episodes.

Four Finger Discount is the fabled Australian Simpsons podcast. 45 minutes to 1:15 long, two Australian hosts who are very funny and (mostly) well-informed about the Simpsons. Has a few recurring segments like their obscure trivia lightning round. Chronological, also currently halfway through the third season. Pretty good!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

sotrain515 posted:

Maybe he's talking about that story jack told (I think it was jack) about how he followed some kid around for months putting a sticker of this kids face he'd got from working at the yearbook committee or whatever in random places he knew the kid would be going to. And he thought it was really funny how freaked out it made this kid who he didn't even really know as I recall. That was ever so slightly off-putting IMO.

It's hard to nail down exactly where I got what I was talking about but it was pretty much stories like this or any time he starts talking about politics.

I'm on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and have enjoyed a few episodes of Talking Simpsons while driving.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Harry Shearer is going to be a guest on this week's Four Finger Discount :stare: :psyduck:

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

webmeister posted:

Harry Shearer is going to be a guest on this week's Four Finger Discount :stare: :psyduck:

So.. are the other podcasts just not trying or what? It seems that a banker and (soon to be) factory worker are knocking this stuff out of the park.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

oldman posted:

So.. are the other podcasts just not trying or what? It seems that a banker and (soon to be) factory worker are knocking this stuff out of the park.

They're pretty ambitious and seem like pretty sharp guys, so it's not super surprising to me. One of them has a background in radio as well which helps it sound so much more professional, and I guess more attractive to someone like Shearer.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

cheerfullydrab posted:

The constantly contradicting themselves about their own opinions about The Simpsons is annoying, their stupid voices are kind of annoying, their constant in-jokes and stories about their boring lives are annoying. I did enjoy Hemis though.

That's the grand irony. They genuinely don't realize how loving terrible and unfunny they are while saying the Simpsons is terrible and unfunny. What really made me give up was the episode where they went on for like 20 minutes talking about how bad the BOMBARDMENT dodgeball joke was... while literally making the same joke and running it into the ground worse than the actual episode did.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's a shame since the idea of a podcast that watches and talks about newer Simpsons episodes is a good one I think. These other Simpson podcasts talked about here dont do that afaik, I just wish WEE was good.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Can we change the thread title? "Podcasts about The Simpsons" (or something - you know - amusing). Almost no one posting itt can bear to listen to WEE anymore and literally no one thinks this is the most amusing/intelligent podcast about The Simpsons.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

For what it's worth, I'm still regularly listening to and consistently enjoying the podcast myself :shrug: (not that I'm looking to deny or undermine anyone's issues with it mind you). But yeah, given the direction of this thread over the last couple of months, I wouldn't be opposed officially changing it to a general Simpsons podcast thread myself either (especially now that WEE proper is going on hiatus for the summer months).

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Hey Dan & Jack - are you guys atheists? Because it's not like you tell us multiple times an episode or anything.:psyduck:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this podcast. I've been listening to it from the beginning, but it's not that fun anymore. I actually liked most of the characters, mostly because they were so self-consciously idiotic, and I can dig that. But it has diminishing returns.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to trying the other ones.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

That's the grand irony. They genuinely don't realize how loving terrible and unfunny they are while saying the Simpsons is terrible and unfunny. What really made me give up was the episode where they went on for like 20 minutes talking about how bad the BOMBARDMENT dodgeball joke was... while literally making the same joke and running it into the ground worse than the actual episode did.

For me it was the episode when they had their friend on as a guest host and it was his birthday so they sang the birthday song in unison in the Sideshow Mel voice while having no idea how awkward and annoying it was. You could practically hear him reconsidering the path his life went down that led him to that moment.

Majorian posted:

Hey Dan & Jack - are you guys atheists? Because it's not like you tell us multiple times an episode or anything.:psyduck:

To be fair it's not like The Simpsons isn't guilty of this itself.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'd totally be down for this being converted to a general Simpsons podcast thread as well.

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair it's not like The Simpsons isn't guilty of this itself.

Yeah, it's gotten really bad in the more recent seasons how the writers really use Lisa as a mouthpiece for their political opinions.

sotrain515
Oct 21, 2010
Anybody still listening?

Latest episode was a good one IMO.

Fair warning: Dan trots out a couple of klassic kharacters and Jack goes on quite the (ironic?) rage rant. They just can't help themselves I guess...

In my dream universe, Al Jean and Dan Castellenata record a one-off podcast wherein they berate the repetitive and shrill humor of post-classic W.E.E. and lament the lack of a "doomsday process" that would weed out all the annoying excesses that have crept into the show over time.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sotrain515 posted:

Anybody still listening?

Latest episode was a good one IMO.

Fair warning: Dan trots out a couple of klassic kharacters and Jack goes on quite the (ironic?) rage rant. They just can't help themselves I guess...

In my dream universe, Al Jean and Dan Castellenata record a one-off podcast wherein they berate the repetitive and shrill humor of post-classic W.E.E. and lament the lack of a "doomsday process" that would weed out all the annoying excesses that have crept into the show over time.

I had a listen. It's ok. But yeah, old habits....
I don't know if I'll keep following it, I stopped listening to their 90ties podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

sotrain515 posted:

Anybody still listening?

No.

sotrain515 posted:

This would almost redeem WEE but not quite.

• Locked thread