Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

As part of a strategic decision to rationalize the business, Daybreak Game Company announced today that it will eliminate positions in both its San Diego and Austin studios. This alignment of resources better positions the newly independent studio for future growth opportunities and developments, including delivering on its legacy of making top online games and establishing a solid foundation for future multi-platform success. These reductions will not affect the operation of current games and the company will continue on its mission to partner with its player community to drive the future and push the boundaries of online gaming.

Holy loving buzzword bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have nothing against Georgeson, seems like a nice guy and I don't begrudge anyone their livelihood, but eqnext has been obvious stinking bullshit for years, so maybe daybreak has some vague idea what they are doing. Not that I expect producing a good game to be part of it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

megalodong posted:

Holy loving buzzword bingo.

missing:
rooftops
projection
Q1/2/3/4
prospective

still a fairly solid compilation though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I have nothing against Georgeson, seems like a nice guy and I don't begrudge anyone their livelihood, but eqnext has been obvious stinking bullshit for years, so maybe daybreak has some vague idea what they are doing. Not that I expect producing a good game to be part of it.

This guy got removed? Welp

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Brasse was amazing. Linda went and had variations of that dwarf costume at SOE live until SOE offered her a job. Smokejumper (Georgeson) shocks me, considering how incredibly passionate (being on meth 100% of the time probably helps) about the game. Although Jetz0r made a good point in that they've been working on Landmark/Next for so long with nothing to show for it.

If they fire EQ's only good designer, Dzarn, I'm rioting.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
glass door is still just full of complaints that upper management is horrible and hire people off of the street just because they like you despite any skills you may or may not have.

if smedley gets removed I'll believe it

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Third World Reggin posted:

glass door is still just full of complaints that upper management is horrible and hire people off of the street just because they like you despite any skills you may or may not have.

if smedley gets removed I'll believe it

He was made president during the transition so I doubt it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

This guy got removed? Welp

Frogkin are not a protected class under employment law, probably made the decision easy.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Frogloks were EQ2s Jedi. You had to do a long, involved quest chain which was gated behind several access quests and raids to unlock them. Which ruled because they are the best race.

Except for Iksar.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And like Jedi, they lied about it being possible at launch.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Givin posted:

Frogloks were EQ2s Jedi. You had to do a long, involved quest chain which was gated behind several access quests and raids to unlock them. Which ruled because they are the best race.

Except for Iksar.

That isn't how you spell Sarnak, friend.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRri9hGhek

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

lets see how quickly my alt account on the eqlive forums gets banned for posting this

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

lets see how quickly my alt account on the eqlive forums gets banned for posting this

I can't wait to find out.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

I can't wait to find out.

You will be the first to know, I promise

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

You will be the first to know, I promise

Well???????????

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Seems to be more than just a couple. Found this list:

Everquest Franchise
David "Smokejumper" Georgeson, Franchise lead
Eric "Felgon" Smith, Landmark/EQNext producer
Jeffrey Butler (skip to 27:20, in chat), EQN/Landmark creative director
Steve "Moorgard" Danuser, EQNext lead content/story designer
Mark Storer, EQNext programmer
Aaron "Gnobrin" Bisnett, EQ2 artist
Akil "Lyndro" Hooper, EQ2 Designer
Racheal "Afista" McKenny, EQ2 community manager
"Endymion", EQ2 developer

Planetside 2
David Carey, producer
Katherine Anderson, build master
Xander Clauss, level designer
Kevin Moyer, designer/vehicle balance
Taylor Dowell, database/marketplace
Sarah Vu, QA
Ryan Owens (confirmed via reddit PM), QA

H1Z1
Noah Watkins, UI artist
Kelduum Revaan, technical designer

DC Universe Online
Ellen Andersen, producer

General Staff
Linda "Brasse" Carlson, Director of community relations
Tiffany "Amnerys" Spence, community manager
Aimee "Ashlanne" Rekoske, community manager
Kyle Manchester, community manager

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
From a person I know who got laid off its close to 30% of total staff, possibly more.

The person I know isn't on that list, its not even close to complete.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

"Anyone want the dead wood we just got rid off??"

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Looking forward to smed getting a golden parachute to form his own "smaller, more creative and daring" company.

Any games on daybreak will go on life support and drag on for years with minimum support.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
His first project will be SWG

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xutech posted:

Looking forward to smed getting a golden parachute to form his own "smaller, more creative and daring" company.

Any games on daybreak will go on life support and drag on for years with minimum support.

I'm looking forward to another big name kickstarter that gets funded within a day and then quietly disappears and is canned.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

rip everquest

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

snodig posted:

"Anyone want the dead wood we just got rid off??"

No doubt. These people were horrible for SOE and dead weight which bogged down all their projects. About the only two that would hire them would be Zynga or Battlecry Studios where they can buddy up with another waste of space, Rich Vogel.

In other words, send them to Zynga. The island of Misfit developers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why didn't John Smedly get let go as well? We still live in an unjust world.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

I said come in! posted:

Why didn't John Smedly get let go as well? We still live in an unjust world.

I am willing to bet he gets canned once they wrap up PS2 on console.

Especially since it was his ultimate choice that put those people in positions of management against everyone telling him not too. Those decisions ultimately led to millions upon millions of dollars wasted with people who have a proven track record of piss poor management and top down development which doesn't make any sense. Sort of like when Matt Firor placed Paul Sage in front of Rich Lambert once Zeb Cook was canned in early TESO development, and we all saw how that turned out. One can only hope that this is the start of a changing of the guard because this type of mismanagement reaches from Rich Vogel who landed at Battlecry, to Matt Firor and Sage who are at Zenimax Online - replace those folks with some fresh meat, and we may see a new spark in the MMORPG genre that has been missing as a result of these people driving very poo poo results with some very undeserved egos.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

From a person I know who got laid off its close to 30% of total staff, possibly more.

The person I know isn't on that list, its not even close to complete.

:yikes:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Management knew this was coming too, they booked out a bar in advance to host the 'so you got fired lets get drunk' event after the heres a box for your poo poo get out event.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

Management knew this was coming too, they booked out a bar in advance to host the 'so you got fired lets get drunk' event after the heres a box for your poo poo get out event.

that is the most :soe: thing I have ever heard

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Byolante posted:

loving cold-blooded.

Parafin
Jul 11, 2013

Oh yes, Georgie, they float. They all float down here.

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO! YAY! :3

<3 now gimme a herring <3
same thing happened when everyone got laid off from the LA studio about 15 years ago, happy to see things haven't changed much

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Byolante posted:

lol jfc that's so lovely

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Byolante posted:

Callahan's?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Byolante posted:

i want to believe but this is just too much

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Hahahaha the Russian mafia is already out in force, one Redditor at a time:

https://www.change.org/p/planetside-2-community-allow-the-eu-player-talking-with-soe-video?just_created=true

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Byolante posted:

This is The Vision™. Brad did the same thing to Sigil many moons ago. Everyone thought they were going out back in the parking lot for a cookout and he fired everybody instead. Or rather he sent one of his minions to do it, I forgot. I'm sure he was busy being coked out of his head while surrounded by an army of tranny Thai hookers to even bother.

I was in IRC at the time with a buddy who was working at Sigil. His words to us were "Welp, we all just got fired. I like my computer chair so I'm taking it, gently caress em."

Said buddy still works in the gaming industry and is doing very well for himself now thankfully.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Too bad, Landmark seemed like a nice start to what EQ Next could have been but I guess the smart money is to just build up around Landmark.

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001

Eonwe posted:

that is the most :soe: thing I have ever heard

People in Austin found out when they got locked out of their computers about 30 minutes before the official meeting which they had to be told about since they could no longer get the email invites.

Also they were removed from our project in the production software at the same time.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Givin posted:

This is The Vision™. Brad did the same thing to Sigil many moons ago. Everyone thought they were going out back in the parking lot for a cookout and he fired everybody instead. Or rather he sent one of his minions to do it, I forgot. I'm sure he was busy being coked out of his head while surrounded by an army of tranny Thai hookers to even bother.

Didn't he have some underling do the actual firing while he hid in his office choking down handfuls of opiates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Larz2021 posted:

People in Austin found out when they got locked out of their computers about 30 minutes before the official meeting which they had to be told about since they could no longer get the email invites.

Also they were removed from our project in the production software at the same time.

that is hosed

• Locked thread