Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Curb Your Enthusiasm whole season 7 or 8 was about the Seinfeld reunion show and imo it makes up for the lovely finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i mean they kinda are awful and lovely but people act like it was some whole new kind of sitcom character. Sam Malone for one is pretty much worse then any of them.

I also dont get when people say the show is "about nothing" because that describes nearly every sitcom ever too.

well you see, before seinfeld in the early 80's and 70's, sitcoms still had a gimmick like MASH or Taxi or Newhart where the human relationships were affected by external events such as war or running a business or getting stranded in an island or being airline pilots

Seinfeld gave up all of that and just went "gently caress it, let's do a show about our empty meaningless every day lives" and turns out it was more relatable and funnier than watching a guy TRY TO SAVE THE FAMILY BUSINESS etc

Arguably the Cosby show was kind of that concept, but it had the small issue of being a successful black family in a racist country and it had a lot of "morality lesson" shows which I don't think Seinfeld ever had one of

After Seinfeld, sitcoms majorly gave up on having a situational gimmick, which is why NOW every show seems to be about nothing and still could be funny (workaholics, happy endings, etc)

• Locked thread