Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wow! It's friday night, when all your friends come home to play D&D or Arkham Horror or heck even one of those weird rear end german wargames where you simulate the battle of Kursk... But after smoking some dank weed you are like WTF??? It's the frickin munchies! [note: this is the Wizardry meme] Dungeon Wizard needs food badly! Don't worry though, I will give you some good rear end tips for le gameing night snacks.

1) CHEETOS AND DORITOS

MUTHAFUCKEN SNACK IN DA HOUSE! Ain't that the most staple of snacks? Really, it's the holy grail of tabletop snacking when you eating them 'tos with your buddies while rolling some high rolls.

Pros: Delish. Can serve to many people. Cheap.

Cons: Cheeto dust will gently caress up your rulebooks and minis!

2)Chicken Tendies

Ohhh snaap! Better grind up on your good boy points to get them tendies, robots! That's a tasty rear end snack for all times.

Pros: Mom can grill those easily.

Cons: Need good boy points... Better help with the household (lol)

3) SRIRACHA

GODDAMN SRIRACHA?! DO I NEED TO TELL MORE?

Pros: It's sriracha.

Cons: Might need to have something to put sriracha on.

4) Bacon Dragonborn helmet

A helmet made out of bacon?! Now that's what i'd adventure for.

Pros: Bacon is delicious.

Cons: Difficult to make. Lice.

5) CTHULHUCKEN

Hahaha nothing to get you on a CoC or Delta Green or Cthulhutech mood more than a turducken made of crab, turkey, octopus and friggin bacon!

Pros and Cons: SAN loss!

So Goons, what other awesome snacks you bring to the table when tabletoppin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Get this. Pizza made on naan bread. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, so here's a picture of some local 'za.

edit: found a pic

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Effectronica posted:

Get this. Pizza made on naan bread. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, so here's a picture of some local 'za.

edit: found a pic

hell yeah that looks dank as gently caress.

Going to agree on the Dorito front, and say that these are the best flavor:

They're even vegan, if case you have nerds in your game group who care about weird poo poo like that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EXAKT Science posted:

They're even vegan, if case you have nerds in your game group who care about weird poo poo like that.

I thought Doritos were made out of corn though?

We usually grab the caesars za. Though we live next to a Gyro shop too. Not a super munchie food, but an actual food food, so I don't know if it counts. Oh yeah! You can grab a 5 pound bag of twizzlers, perfect for gaming as it doesn't cover your hands in poo poo unless you hold them for like 5 minutes in your hot little hands.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Pretzels and nuts (depending on the variety) are salty finger-foods that don't require much cleanup, so they make great table snacks that won't grime up your games.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
In my old 4e group it wasn't considered an official game unless I made homemade guacamole.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
these are my goddamn favorite snack of all time and it is as outrageously hard to get a hold of them as they tend to be priced

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Simian_Prime posted:

In my old 4e group it wasn't considered an official game unless I made homemade guacamole.

What kind of scrub posts about guacamole w/o a recipe?!?

2 large ripe haas avocados (should feel soft when squeezed, if not, give a day to ripen)
1 fresh lemon, or a 1/2 cup of lemon juice
4 cloves of garlic (or more - I like to go crazy with garlic)
1/2 fresh sweet onion (or 1 teaspoon of onion powder)
2 teaspoons red chili flakes
1 tablespoon of dry cilantro (or a few chopped sprigs of fresh)
1 teaspoon of tumeric
salt & pepper to taste

1. Peel, pit, and chop avocados into bite-sized chunks. Places chunks into non-reactive bowl. Salt and drizzle with a generous helping of lemon juice. Cover with plastic and let it sit in the fridge for a least an hour.

2. Mince garlic and onions.

3. Take bowl out of fridge, mash the soft avocado with a fork. Add garlic, onions, and other spices. Mix well until you get a thick paste. Drizzle more lemon juice on top of the guacamole. Return to fridge, let it sit for at least an hour so the flavors can mingle.

4. Serve with chips (or tacos, if you're feeling really generous). If there's leftover guacamole, drizzle with lemon juice and cover before placing in fridge (this will stop it from turning brown)

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 3, 2015

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010

First Bass posted:

these are my goddamn favorite snack of all time and it is as outrageously hard to get a hold of them as they tend to be priced

Sorry but ruffles are the one true chip, especially for dipping porpoises.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Charlie72 posted:

I wouldn't scrape the poop off my butt with Ruffles if every leaf and toiler paper roll on Earth had vanished :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Charlie72 posted:

Why would you want to dip porpoises? :gonk:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
utz is the Master Chip

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
also beer is the Master Snack

great divide's orabelle is quite tastey while you are slaying dragons or as i do putting pieces of cardboard on the table to simulate being a wizard

also i must plug local brewers fullsteam whose cackalacky ginger ipa is the (killer) bees knees

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
After I started running a new campaign, we made a decision that we wouldn't eat chips at the table anymore. So now we got people bringing over stuff they have baked themselves. For the next The One Ring marathon session we're gonna do actual dinner with texmex food. I have no idea if that's actually a good or a terrible idea.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kemper Boyd posted:

After I started running a new campaign, we made a decision that we wouldn't eat chips at the table anymore. So now we got people bringing over stuff they have baked themselves. For the next The One Ring marathon session we're gonna do actual dinner with texmex food. I have no idea if that's actually a good or a terrible idea.

It's a terrible idea because you should be baking some motherfucking elf bread

edit: unless your house has only one toilet, then Tex Mex + "the one ring" is still appropriate thematically.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 3, 2015

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Also I want to take a moment to praise lovely gas station pizza, especially from 7-11.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gang sines posted:

utz is the Master Chip

Yea I like making my group poo poo their pants too, great way to own your friends. One downside, you gotta eat them too so it's more a suicide bombing than anything.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
One of the guys in our group used to prep snacks when we played at his house. The very best was venison tacos (that he had to add hash browns to because there wasn't enough venison.)

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It's a terrible idea because you should be baking some motherfucking elf bread

edit: unless your house has only one toilet, then Tex Mex + "the one ring" is still appropriate thematically.

I like eating something substantial to compensate for the fact that i usually drink beer for like nine hours straight when running a game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Donut holes dipped in curry sauce.

Homemade Biltong.

Sushi.

Sweet potato fries.

Homemade potato chips.

18 pack of Tecate

4 growlers (Ninkasi TD, Stone Ruination, Fort George 1811 Lager, Heathen RIP)

This is an average gaming night loadout for my group.

edit: and usually frybread because it's the obesity causing food of my people.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Donut holes dipped in curry sauce.

Homemade Biltong.

Sushi.

Sweet potato fries.

Homemade potato chips.

18 pack of Tecate

4 growlers (Ninkasi TD, Stone Ruination, Fort George 1811 Lager, Heathen RIP)

This is an average gaming night loadout for my group.

edit: and usually frybread because it's the obesity causing food of my people.

Can I join your gaming group?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I like making my group poo poo their pants too, great way to own your friends. One downside, you gotta eat them too so it's more a suicide bombing than anything.

if utz chips give you diarrhea you might want to consider colonoscopy :ohdear:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EXAKT Science posted:

Also I want to take a moment to praise lovely gas station pizza, especially from 7-11.

gently caress yeah

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

gently caress yeah

For real, $5.55 plus tax for a large pizza is some great bang for the buck, and if you're gaming, you're almost certainly drunk/high enough not to mind the low quality while still being able to enjoy the greasiness and cheesiness.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
OG kush, grape swisher.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I game with someone who bakes for a living so our gaming night will usually feature two varieties of home made baked goods, usually experimental in nature, along with:

Grapes
M&Ms
Two types of salsa
Pita chips & hummus

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My groups have tended to have everyone eat dinner, and then we game.
Lasagna with bleu cheese was always popular.

Also nuts, grapes, m&ms, etc. at the table

And we have some heavy drinkers and some non drinkers, so everyone brings their own supply.

Shout out to lovely 711 hotdogs back in the day though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
What about some ideas for snacks that are fairly easy but healthier than a big ol' bowl of cheesie-poofs? I keep intending to bring something other than Doritos to my group, but I'm a terrible cook, so anything elaborate enough to screw up I probably will.

Am I limited to celery and carrot sticks, or do I have other options?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

What about some ideas for snacks that are fairly easy but healthier than a big ol' bowl of cheesie-poofs? I keep intending to bring something other than Doritos to my group, but I'm a terrible cook, so anything elaborate enough to screw up I probably will.

Basic fruit and nuts are good, like homemade trail mix.

If you don't mind spending money you can get all kinds of good stuff from a store like fresh bread and a spinach dip.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Error 404 posted:

If you don't mind spending money you can get all kinds of good stuff from a store like fresh bread and a spinach dip.

Fresh bread and hummus is always a hit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kemper Boyd posted:

Fresh bread and hummus is always a hit.

Hummus with Sriracha is +3 as gently caress.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Fire Storm
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Clr 8, Drd 7, Fire 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Two 10-ft. cubes per level (S)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

When a fire storm spell is cast, the whole area is shot through with sheets of roaring flame. The raging flames do not harm natural vegetation, ground cover, and any plant creatures in the area that you wish to exclude from damage. Any other creature within the area takes 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They don't call them beer and pretzel games for nothing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gaming night is the one time a week I eat garbage. Get in me, chips. Specifically All Dressed and Pickle chips. Actually, all flavors of Kruncher's are amazing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

French bread is dead simple, basically idiot proof and cheap.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The best gaming snack is enormous amounts of alcohol. Probably not that great if you're into something with lots of cards and pieces and whatever, but works great with Everyone Is John and similar.

Make or buy healthy dips, dip the carrot and celery sticks in those. This is what I've been doing for the last couple of years instead of enormous amounts of alcohol.

You can make a super basic but non-horrible chili & garlic dip by mixing lowfat cottage cheese with sriracha (plus like, chives or spring onions or whatever if you like), and it comes out to about 200-250 calories per 250 grams, which is gently caress all calories when shared between 5 people. You can do the same with plain greek yoghurt, and it's higher-cal and (imo) better tasting.

You can buy healthy dips, you might just need to look somewhere other than the cheese and dip section of your supermarket. I found a "black bean salsa" that was pretty healthy, and there's various premade yoghurt/tzatziki type dips that aren't too bad for you.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 4, 2015

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

A character sheet isn't really a character sheet unless it has call-in indian food curry oil stains

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
but really why do white people like sriracha so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

gang sines posted:

but really why do white people like sriracha so much

Because they took chili paste, and added as much sugar as in the ketchup that white people also love.

• Locked thread