Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Going 82 on a 65 limit highway. :negative:

It's actually cheaper than I thought, but I'm concerned about negative points on my license. I guess I just gotta go fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
get more

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
oh yeah i always throuw those in the trash

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i have never gotten a speeding ticket for less than triple digits

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if you had gotten clocked going 3mph faster your life would be far more exciting

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Protip get a lawyer. Mine's cheaper than the ticket itself and he's an ex-judge.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Going 82 on a 65 limit highway. :negative:

It's actually cheaper than I thought, but I'm concerned about negative points on my license. I guess I just gotta go fast.

maybe you should slow down. you will kill someone with all that race driving

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
fight it and theres a good chance the cop wont even show up

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

collect a ton of them and sew them together to form a ticket quilt, then mail it to the police station. they will appreciate the extra warmth.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

I go 85 minimum in Arizona every day to and from work. I especially ramp it up in school zones. If you ain't first you're last.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

revmoo posted:

Protip get a lawyer. Mine's cheaper than the ticket itself and he's an ex-judge.

That's a cheap lawyer or an expensive ticket

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
what number did he write on the ticket? did he write 82 or did he scale it down to 75 automatically?

if he wrote the actual speed you were going, and you didnt give him any trouble, contest the ticket.

then you say, "i dont think i was going 82." if they like you, they will essentially let you write yourself a cheaper ticket.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
How much is the ticket for, OP?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

LegoPirateNinja posted:

what number did he write on the ticket? did he write 82 or did he scale it down to 75 automatically?

if he wrote the actual speed you were going, and you didnt give him any trouble, contest the ticket.

then you say, "i dont think i was going 82." if they like you, they will essentially let you write yourself a cheaper ticket.

I think I already signed that I accept the charges, but I wish I'd known this beforehand. I live in a state with really draconian driving laws, so I wonder if that would have worked. I'll contest the next ticket regardless of what it is, because I think that speed difference will give me a rather sizable point value on my license and if I gently caress up again I'll lose it.

china bot posted:

How much is the ticket for, OP?

$116, which is cheaper than I expected.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol ok gramps

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
MY DRIVING POINTS!!!!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Hah my first ticket was the exact same speed. I was like 16 years old though so

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

MY DRIVING POINTS!!!!

Well I need to be able to drive for my work, so getting my license suspended would effectively destroy my livelihood.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think I already signed that I accept the charges, but I wish I'd known this beforehand. I live in a state with really draconian driving laws, so I wonder if that would have worked. I'll contest the next ticket regardless of what it is, because I think that speed difference will give me a rather sizable point value on my license and if I gently caress up again I'll lose it.

you really need to read the ticket, or maybe you should have paid attention to what the cop said. all you signed is a piece of paper that says the cop stopped you and is giving you the option of court or fines.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

I think I already signed that I accept the charges, but I wish I'd known this beforehand. I live in a state with really draconian driving laws, so I wonder if that would have worked.

I don't think signing the ticket is any admission of guilt. Someone correct me though.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Well I need to be able to drive for my work, so getting my license suspended would effectively destroy my livelihood.

It takes a poo poo ton of those in my state to get any kind of actual punishment. My brother has like twelve speeding tickets and they only now threatened to take his license away.

Anyway, move to Texas. Their speed limits are insane. 85 on a two lane back road that curves and goes over hills.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I want to know about these draconian driving laws.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

satanic splash-back posted:

you really need to read the ticket, or maybe you should have paid attention to what the cop said. all you signed is a piece of paper that says the cop stopped you and is giving you the option of court or fines.

There's a few options you could check, and one basically amounted to "signing this means you are accepting the charges" or whatnot. If I'd taken the other option I would have had to go into court to contest it, which seemed like it would be most costly than just paying the drat ticket.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Points mean prizes! Get 10 for a free toaster.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
next time drink a bottle of jack first

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
speeding tickets are just a way for the local county to make money

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

The easiest, cheapest way to deal with most normal speeding tickets for 10-25 over is:
Don't mail it in.
Don't get a lawyer.
The ticket will have a date to show up in court, show up. Don't wear an anime t-shirt or flip flops.
Some DA or assistant will talk to you about a plea agreement for a lesser charge. Agree to that. Pay the fine.

If its not a "normal" ticket (40+ over, DUI, killed a guy, etc), you should probably get a lawyer.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
just move to texas OP, problem solved

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Darth Freddy posted:

I want to know about these draconian driving laws.

New Mexico's driving laws are very strict, particularly for DUI, but you can get slammed with a ticket even if you go one mile over the speed limit, anywhere. It's entirely up to the police's discretion, although they seem to be flexible on what they give a poo poo about on the freeway.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
my first ticket was at age 17 or so, going 56 in a 45, the cop radar'd me while he was driving in the oncoming lane, whipped an absurd u-turn at like 40ish mph and caused a wreck behind me so that he could catch up to me

gave me a ticket and i told my parents id handle it cuz worst case i plead no-lo and dont speed for a couple years, best case the other cop doesnt show up or the fact that he made two other cars collide just to catch me going 11 over is a point in my favor

got home from school the next day and my parents told me theyd just taken the 200 bucks from me and paid the ticket

cool stuff, i was stoked

no tickets since then so pleading nolo would have just literally put 200 bucks in my pocket

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~

if everyone got their license suspended after one ticket it would make the roads much safer for people like me who've never been caught

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

like it was said that is not how it works.

however $116 is cheap as poo poo and id gladly pay that. a few years ago in VA that would be a MINIMUM $1000 fine, with 3 years of yearly fees to keep your license, and 6 points

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

SUBLIME! posted:

if everyone got their license suspended after one ticket it would make the roads much safer for people like me who've never been caught

spoken like someone who has only lived in a safe and relatively non-corrupt western country; actually we would just degenerate into a bribe culture overnight and very little would change except cops would be upper middle class instead of middle/lower

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

1gnoirents posted:

however $116 is cheap as poo poo and id gladly pay that. a few years ago in VA that would be a MINIMUM $1000 fine, with 3 years of yearly fees to keep your license, and 6 points

Don't you go DIRECTLY TO JAIL DO NOT PASS GO at 80 MPH in VA?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

1gnoirents posted:

That's some poo poo right there. Yeah, for that price I just figured it's easier to pay and deal with trying to fight these sorts of things armed with more knowledge. I'm getting the impression that I should have said I'd contest it in court even if I didn't really have any defense to stand on. Is that generally what you should do? Take it court anyway, rather than agreeing to pay outright?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

KennyLoggins posted:

Don't you go DIRECTLY TO JAIL DO NOT PASS GO at 80 MPH in VA?

you get a reckless driving charge, which is a misdemeanor. theoretically you can go to jail for a year but i've never heard of anyone going to jail for speeding

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

That's some poo poo right there. Yeah, for that price I just figured it's easier to pay and deal with trying to fight these sorts of things armed with more knowledge. I'm getting the impression that I should have said I'd contest it in court even if I didn't really have any defense to stand on. Is that generally what you should do? Take it court anyway, rather than agreeing to pay outright?

honestly the best thing to do is to act really meek and contrite and seem like you probably wont show up at court, the officer will make a note on his copy of the ticket "dont show up to this bitch's court date, no need" and then you show up looking somewhat presentable and the judge knocks that poo poo out right quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

New Mexico's driving laws are very strict, particularly for DUI, but you can get slammed with a ticket even if you go one mile over the speed limit, anywhere. It's entirely up to the police's discretion, although they seem to be flexible on what they give a poo poo about on the freeway.

I live 30 miles from nm and do a lot of work and shopping there. I would much rather get a ticket in nm then my home state of Texas. For your first offense the worst that might happen would be a small increase in your insurance. Laws there are fairly lax to be honest.

• Locked thread