Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Sloober posted:

To be completely fair the whole BG2 manual was like 90% tables, spell names/descriptions, class descriptions with the rest being mostly just extra lore. I still have mine tucked away in a chest somewhere.

True, but I liked reading those spells and it was something I could do when I went to bed and wasn't supposed to be playing games :)

It also made the spells all the more epic once I got to actually cast them. Mage battles were probably the coolest thing in the game, with various orbs or shields to protect, spell sequencers to initiate, and other spells to pierce or dispel defenses.

But to get back to Revenant, part 5 is online. It's a fun little episode with a whole bunch of varied stuff happening. I'm also getting into a decent workflow by now and placing more cuts goes a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hnghh you missed a gold pile to pick up and now it's really gotten under my skin. I wonder why I'm like that.

Also this game owns, such a shame I didn't get to experience it when I was younger.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Spudd posted:

Hnghh you missed a gold pile to pick up and now it's really gotten under my skin. I wonder why I'm like that.

Also this game owns, such a shame I didn't get to experience it when I was younger.

Haha, yeah I noticed that as well when I was cutting my recording. I thought, oh I guess I just wanted to first show...huh, well perhaps after I killed...damnit! Pick it up already!

So far the game has lived up to my nostalgic expectations, and thrown in a few conversations more than I remembered. Keep in mind though that there's a bunch of grinding cut out from the episodes. Murdering creatures in the forest is still a lot of fun because of the combat system, but too much of it just doesn't make for good video content I feel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A pretty cool thing about this game's lore is how fast and loose they play the setting. Nowadays most fantasy is afraid to include black people because it'd breake ye medievale immersione. Here? Ninjas.

Not to mention the ogre with wrestling moves.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Just a quick bonus-update where I try and fail to sell some items.

It's not the usual voice-over kind of thing. There are only so many actions in the game you can make fun of (bothering people, looting, killing), and I didn't want to already retread old ground but just with different footage and another idea/voice; it'd get predictable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Man, I remember that silly ninja death sound. It was the same in the german version despite most voice acting being different. I also dont remember if they removed the more violent deathblows and blood.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 10, 2015

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Aww man, I remember this game! :allears: I tried to play through it 7-8 years ago and I believe the game crashed between my beating the final boss and actually showing the ending.

So glad I caught up just in time for the caves, too!

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I think the game fucks up death-sounds whenever you kill an enemy with a damage-over-time spell like fire flash. Then it seems to think that for every additional tick below 0 health it has to start another loop of death.

Episode 6 is online! The caves are remarkably less boring than I remember, but then again, this isn't yet the part of the caves called "The Maze of Darkness". Also, I can't help but notice that even in this section they've gone to some trouble to keep things varied, in both enemy encounters and art.

I've got an idea I've been wanting to try and I hope it works, but I need to familiarize myself with some avisynth effects, find out whether I can do a particular voice, and I also need more...well, boring footage to be honest. I'll roll it into the next episode if everything works out; it ought to fit better in the episode than as a bonus.

Edit: Oh before I forget, here are the two letters. They relate the story of a previously failed expedition into the caves.

Letter One

Letter Two

Fleve fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 12, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm really impressed with (and loving) your update speed. It's great to see such good content come at such a good pace.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just realized I haven't posted in this thread yet when I really thought I had already.

Anyway, I wanted to say this is a good LP, and please keep it up because you are very entertaining.

Also, I wanted to say that the intro to this game, while still being 90s, actually holds up a lot better than I would have expected.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks guys. I must say, I didn't expect this much interest with the game, or me, and you've been a great audience. According to analytics, you've been watching me ramble on about an ancient game for 16,834 minutes, or roughly 280 hours, and that just boggles my mind.

I also didn't expect it to be this time demanding, but I like doing it. My freelance work doesn't require a lot of hours lately so I should be able to keep the pace. There's something about LP'ing that makes it a lot more fun than if I just play the game. Probably because it forces a slower kind of play, but also because it let's me work out silly ideas like a montage or a cappella piece, stuff that would normally just remain an idea and a chuckle. Had I replayed the game normally, I'd have probably finished it last week, but not nearly as satisfying.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, Yoda there really knows how to shut up an angry corpse. It's really nice to see Locke getting his every once in a while - and it's another little detail I forgot about the game since the dialogue tends to get overshadowed by the dungeon slog.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

:toot:

Episode 7 is done. The material I'd usually throw into a bonus fit in neatly with the episode - it starts from about the 15th minute. I feel a bit silly spending way too much time making that, but it was fun to do so what the heck. Perhaps I should start posting the little snippets I always write on YouTube as well.

Being stuck in caves too long, and addicted to potions, Locke ponders the meaning of his existence while eradicating that of others.

Edit: Oh, and here are the letters.

Letter Three

Letter Four

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Fleve posted:

feel a bit silly spending way too much time making that, but it was fun to do so what the heck.

It's like spending an over an hour on a single .gif that you end up not even using! :v:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
You playing this level got me to dig out my old guide again.
For those of you who want to see the level in its entire glory:

The Start is at 1, the Exit at 4.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Darn, I wish I had that map earlier. It wasn't just narrative licence that made me write I was stuck in that maze for about half an hour. I really didn't remember the exit being somewhere in the middle, that's not the first place you expect an exit to be.

Usually I'd be posting an update by now or tonight, but I've been felled by a nasty stomach bug that makes me want to fill up my calendar with "curl up and groan a lot". Still, I hope to get back into production in a day or two.

On the plus side, I've now caught up with multiple SSLP's. I thought SSLP's were a kind of weird genre, reducing a game to nothing but text and images, but depending on the game they work surprisingly well.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Yeah, that maze can trip you up pretty bad. If you're interested, I have maps for all the areas, since many of them can be confusing to navigate.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nuramor posted:

Yeah, that maze can trip you up pretty bad. If you're interested, I have maps for all the areas, since many of them can be confusing to navigate.

That would be really helpful. Since I've switched to hardware rendering (which looks way better for spells), the already tiny mini-map has bugged out completely. Having the viewer look at a mini-map every so often wasn't much of a cinematographic adventure anyway so I'm kinda glad to be rid of it, but it certainly doesn't help my sense of direction.

If it's not too much of a bother, you can send them to feldrintalks [at] gmail [dot] com.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Took me a few days, but I'm back in business. And thanks to a bunch of incredibly useful maps from Nuramor, getting through the mazes has suddenly become a lot easier.

Now then, onwards to part 8. With few caverns left to explore, Locke is almost nearing the end of his spelunking career. But will he make it against new enemies, cutscenes, nigh insurmountable odds?

Yeah well of course he'll make it, otherwise I'll just reload. But where's the narrative tension in that.

Letter Five

Letter Six

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Wow, trolling you with "you could have logically skipped all this crap, but you needed the XP"; even the game designers are joining the parade of everybody in this game being a dick (undead or otherwise).

Interesting death animations for you with each boss; is that a boss only feature or do some of the regular enemies have special animations when they kill you?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Good question, and I'm not sure but I think it's boss-only. There are few enemies that routinely lead to my death, the most prominent of them being the ninjas, and they slice & dice without a finisher; any other non-boss that's killed me so far didn't lead to anything cool.

It's insane though how much detail and work they put into animating everything. Not only are there plenty of finishing moves against enemies, a lot of enemies have entirely unique movement and combat animations, and most of them also have a special move, like the belly-stab of the skeletons, the head-throw of the Ogrocks, or the grappling bite from zombies.

One of the five animators who worked on the game, Michael Smith, has a small combat animations compilation video up on youtube, including a few moves that I think I've never even seen in the game.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

In the combat logs you can see your Attack Roll against their Defense Rolls. Since your Roll is most of the time less or barely equal, you get a Glancing Blow or Light Hit.

You may get less 'Glancing Blows' if you considered upping accuracy a bit. Just a thought.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Ah, drat, that's because I misunderstood the guide I was reading on stats. It wrote that the manual says agility influenced to-hit-chance on hand-to-hand and ranged, but I thought that meant fist-fights, not weapon-grade combat.

But, now that we've got enough buff-spells, we've got good testing material so let's see what does what.

------------------
The Speed-spell adds 4 agility, and my ATK goes up from 151 to 156. (+1.25 per point)
The Charm-spell adds 5 luck, and my ATK goes up from 151 to 156. (+1 per point)
The Dexterity-spell adds 2 reflexes, and my DEF goes up from 140 to 145. (+2.5 per point)

Gaining a point in weapon skill, my ATK went from 151 to 152. (+1 per point)

On a level-up, my ATK went from 152 to 162. (+10 per level)
And on a level-up, adding 2 agility, that instead went from 152 to 167. (+10 per level, +2.5 per point)
------------------

I'm guessing that's a bug in the speed-spell and agility should give 2.5 ATK points, with every level-up giving 4 times as much. I think I wanted to have 30 STR/CON by the end to be able to wear everything, but that's far away and I only need 6 more points in CON, so yeah, a few points in agility should do nicely.

A level-up and 2 agi (167 ATK) should put me squarely in line with the druids (168), perhaps a few more after that should do the trick I think, although one enemy I encountered just now went all the way up to 192. I think some enemies are just supposed to be difficult because of high defence until you gain a few levels. I'd only be able to get to 192 right now if I had maxed out agility, but then I wouldn't be able to wear everything I currently got.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

You *are* pretty far behind the curve in terms of agility, I guess. And yes, I believe some enemies are just supposed to be more resilient than others. Also, don't forget that from level 15(?) on you only get one stat-up per level.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah I just noticed that when I tested the level-up from 14 to 15 and one plus-sign disappeared. So I've got 17 more stat-points left to distribute until max level. I'm thinking 11 of those into agility, and 6 to constitution, for an end-result of 30 STR/CON, 25 AGI, 16 mind, and 14 reflexes/luck.

I'm starting to doubt my memory now though. If there isn't any armor that goes all the way up to requiring 30 CON then I'm better off putting those points into agility or mind.

ShadowWraith
Mar 28, 2011
I recently finished replaying this game after your thread reminded me that it existed. The highest level armour requires 23 CON and the weapon with the highest strength requirement needs 25 STR.
Agility is probably the most important stat after you hit 25STR/23CON for HtH play as it directly influences your attack rating. Reflex affects your defense rating and I found it mostly useless because Invisibility is a completely broken spell. The buff spells are nice to have too, but I've noticed that they don't seem to affect attack/defense ratings in the same way that directly levelling agility/reflex or wearing equipment that grants an agility/reflex bonus/malus does.

There's an endgame buff that grants +5 to all stats which I found pretty useful, so I would advise against putting points into any stat at 25 as buffs can't push you over 30.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Well, I'm already sitting at 30STR/24CON so that ship has partially sailed, but thanks for pointing out that I no longer have to put points into CON at all. Of my remaining 17 points, I'll then probably put 11 into agility for 25 agility, perhaps one more into CON, and then dump the other 5-6 into mind.

So this was just in time and apart from 5 points in STR not much is lost. Even then, those points should theoretically mean I'll deal more damage unbuffed. I'd have probably put any more free points in mind anyway, which is only marginally useful because mana is much more limited by (buying and using) potions than by your maximum bar.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Aren't you kinda drowning in money right now? Just top up on potions and all is right again. Potion addiction is a myth. :2bong:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, now we have a rock-solid reason to kill the wizard even if he wasn't Obviously Evil.
Also, I realize it's generic fantasy tune #238, but I really liked the music in that cutscene.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Well, now we have a rock-solid reason to kill the wizard even if he wasn't Obviously Evil.
Also, I realize it's generic fantasy tune #238, but I really liked the music in that cutscene.

Someone on youtube has 19 tracks online from the Revenant soundtrack, I think he repeats a few though. #12 and #19 are neat, they're extended versions of the music played during the intro and mid-game cutscene we've seen last time.

Ronny Moorings and Patrick Collins did a great job with the music I think. Moorings, from more of a goth-genre, seems to have also done music for the other Cinematix Studios game Total Mayhem, and Collins did a ton of music work for Westwood/Disney/EA games back in the 1990's. Yeah it might be generic, but they've got a bit of a recurring theme going on in Revenant and most tracks fit well with the areas they play in. A few of the menacing tracks are less enjoyable, but I'll tune those down a bit.

Nuramor posted:

Aren't you kinda drowning in money right now? Just top up on potions and all is right again. Potion addiction is a myth. :2bong:

Holy poo poo, yes I am. I just checked and I'm sitting on 200,000 doubloons. I'm terribly greedy though and good mid-range potions go for about 1000-2000 a pop at this point so.... :shobon:

Nah I'll start using them more liberally. There's really no point to gold otherwise, because the game drowns you in armor as well. Chucking mana makes flinging spells around a lot easier and the game more fun. One session I've already got recorded has a bit of complaining about potions, but I do start to carpet bomb areas with fireballs as well now. The ep should be online later today, just need to do a quality-check.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Forests, check. Caves, check. Time to spread the joy that is Locke around Misthaven once more, do some shopping, talk to a random stranger in the woods, and top things off with some nice murdering.

Talking about murdering, I'm unsure how much random gameplay/combat I should feature. I mean, there's a bunch of stuff I want to show anyway about each area, like the art and feel of the area itself, new enemies, perhaps new spells, new moves, new mechanics. Obvious grinding and backtracking I always cut out, but I also cut out pieces where I simply don't have anything to say. That kinda means that the better I get at randomly chatting about poo poo, the more gameplay I end up showing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it makes for better content, but it does make for longer videos.

I...I'm not sure what point I was trying to make. I'm probably just rambling.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

According to the guide, the 'Ring of the Arcane' adds 250 Mana and 10% spell damage compared to the 300 Mana you get from the previos ring. But since the difference seems to be 55 Mana instead, please take it with a grain of salt.
Also, did you check the armor salesman? You didn't mention anything in the update and there should be new armors for sale.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I think I'd rather keep the 10% damage ring. But I'm probably better off replacing my necklace with an old Fenrus Collar that gave +50% mana. My current channelling necklace reduces mana cost of spells by 10%, which really isn't worth it anymore now that I'll be stocking up on potions heavily.

There were a a few new armors for sale, Plate Armor in different colours, and a set of Spiked Armor. But they both detract agility, which is a deal-breaker at the moment.

Edit: Also, the game throws such ridiculous amounts of armor around that it almost makes me sad. The moment I'd buy something, one episode later I'd probably stumble upon 2-3 full sets that are all better. I like saving and spending on upgrades but I feel like only weapons have a decent pay-off.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Ah, the shop has greater availability than I expected. But remember that by now the secondary effects of armor are mostly more useful than the defense value.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Sweet christmas, I asked for this game to be LP'd not too long ago in the LP request thread, but I never thought it'd actually happen! I loved this game when I was a child despite its awfulness.

Thanks for doing this, looking forward to watching it progress.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Burning Sensation posted:

Sweet christmas, I asked for this game to be LP'd not too long ago in the LP request thread, but I never thought it'd actually happen! I loved this game when I was a child despite its awfulness.

Thanks for doing this, looking forward to watching it progress.

Your post put the game on my radar again. I was really curious how the game held up compared to when I played it years ago.

And so far it's holding up way better than I remembered. I think the last part of the game, with the Labyrinths, seriously soured my remembrance of earlier sections. I thought I'd be running out of conversations by now, but they keep coming. There's more content and it's more condensed than I remembered. The levels and art are varied, there's always one or two new enemies per area, and I'm swimming in armors and weapons. And there are way, way more spells than I can ever functionally use.

Once we get to the Labyrinths though I'm probably going to come up with a way to make a time-skip.

Nuramor posted:

Ah, the shop has greater availability than I expected. But remember that by now the secondary effects of armor are mostly more useful than the defense value.

Well, the shop's almost running out to be honest. I think after the level 15 unlocks, there is one more armor available at level 21 and that's it.

Got a recording ready for editing with, again, a silly amount of armor, but also a really nice upgrade.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

I was mostly thinking about armors that are apparently 'earlier' in the shop, before the plate armor. Stuff like the berserker armor, which has equal armor values to the celtic stuff, but gives you bonuses to your stamina. Something like that.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
I haven't managed to get through all the videos yet (I'm making my way through them and enjoying them immensely so far!), but I'm curious about something, specifically the enemy-type-related, non-fatal special moves which are in turn related to the weapon you're using. Keep in mind I played this game literally 15 or so years ago, so I'm relying entirely on memory here, but if I recall correctly, Jong doesn't actually teach you these moves, and I'm not sure if they're mentioned anywhere else, so I'm not sure if you're aware you have access to them. An example of the kind of attack I mean is using a sword against a Druhg allows you to impale it and throw it over your shoulder. If I recall correctly, the way you do this is by standing near it, holding ctrl and using the thrusting attack (or possibly some other attack, I can't remember, you may need to experiment).

The other attacks that I can recall (which I'll spoiler, just in case) include grabbing Ogroks and kind of "cracking" their necks, then throwing them away, which I think might require an axe; the golem, which you can kind of hit on the head and then hit in the stomach, causing it to fall over, which requires a maul weapon... and I've forgotten the rest, I'm afraid, but if you could experiment with this stuff, it'd be awesome (wish I had access to the game so i could test it out myself!).

If you already know all of this and have demonstrated it in later videos, please ignore this post :v:

e: I think the large spiders can be impaled in a similar way to the druhg.

Burning Sensation fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 20, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nuramor posted:

I was mostly thinking about armors that are apparently 'earlier' in the shop, before the plate armor. Stuff like the berserker armor, which has equal armor values to the celtic stuff, but gives you bonuses to your stamina. Something like that.

Oh yeah sure, that might be a good idea to check out. Won't be until an episode later though, as I said, one recording is already in the pipelines.

Burning Sensation posted:

The other attacks that I can recall (which I'll spoiler, just in case) include grabbing Ogroks and kind of "cracking" their necks, then throwing them away, which I think might require an axe; the golem, which you can kind of hit on the head and then hit in the stomach, causing it to fall over, which requires a maul weapon... and I've forgotten the rest, I'm afraid, but if you could experiment with this stuff, it'd be awesome (wish I had access to the game so i could test it out myself!).

If you already know all of this and have demonstrated it in later videos, please ignore this post :v:

e: I think the large spiders can be impaled in a similar way to the druhg.

I never knew about these but I think you might be right. On a youtube channel of one of the animators who worked on Revenant there were a bunch of moves that all looked like grappling moves which I never figured out how to do. I can't believe Revenant is still throwing me new stuff after 15 years and multiple playthroughs. I'll experiment around a bit with the control key, see whether something turns up.

With the large spiders I only know their finishing move, chop or D button.

Edit: Holy poo poo you are right. I just stabbed an Ogrock and lifted him over my shoulder. Aw man. How the hell was anyone supposed to find this out. This is awesome.

-----------------------
Also, I thought I'd try and redo the a cappella piece of track #10 I quickly threw in during episode 2, this time the whole track. Last time I cheated a bit by using the easier part of the song, so I wanted to try out whether I could still do a decent job at it in full. A total of 6 tracks went into this. One for cymbals, bass, guitar, and bells, two for flutes. The real track has more percussion (drums and a click) and a way more detailed guitar track with chords. I think there are a few notes I hosed up slightly and I suck at whistling but I'm happy with the result.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.

Fleve posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo you are right. I just stabbed an Ogrock and lifted him over my shoulder. Aw man. How the hell was anyone supposed to find this out. This is awesome.

I know, right? I used to feel like such a badass throwing dudes around and slam-fisting giant rock-men in the face. I remember when I was a kid I'd fire this game up when I was bored and just run around fighting enemies, completely ignoring the "story" and such silly things as "progress". Beating the poo poo out of the local wildlife was just so much more fun.

e: Okay, I found it a bit strange that this issue wasn't even listed on GameFAQs, so I dug up my actual Revenant game manual, and the only thing I can find that seems to be related to the context-sensitive "grapple" (I'm going to use the word that you used to describe them, to avoid confusion) moves is that the manual refers to something called "interactive combos" (ctrl+A/S/D), which I think is supposed to represent the "grapple" moves. They don't mention the fact that some of them are context/weapon-sensitive though, so I'm not sure.

Other combos are just referred to as "combos" (alt+A/S/D), but I'm not sure what exactly the differences are, without the game in front of me.

Perhaps some more experimentation is needed?

I always felt like this game's combat system didn't get enough love, and from the bit of research I've done this evening, it seems like very few people knew about the "interactive combo system", simply because the manual/game failed to explain it effectively. Bizarre!

Burning Sensation fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 21, 2015

• Locked thread