Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

About six or seven different types of banana. Jellyfish. Orinoco Crocodile, which is now endangered (my grandfather would make me milkshakes with crocodile meat FOR STRENGTH when I was a toddler in Venezuela) but I don't remember it obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Humboldt Squid posted:

Orinoco Crocodile, which is now endangered (my grandfather would make me milkshakes with crocodile meat FOR STRENGTH when I was a toddler in Venezuela) but I don't remember it obviously.

Holy poo poo. You know there are probably less then a thousand Orinoco Crocodiles left in the world, right? That is super-duper endangered. And they've been protected since the 70s? (Not very well protected...) Dang. What a shame.

Eat speckled caiman. Those guys are everywhere. Probably do better in a smoothie as well.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Holy poo poo. You know there are probably less then a thousand Orinoco Crocodiles left in the world, right? That is super-duper endangered. And they've been protected since the 70s? (Not very well protected...) Dang. What a shame.

Some of us were alive in the 70s.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, I know :( The story I was told was that it was Orinoco crocodile, but there's a good chance it was C.Actus (American crocodile) based on geography instead thankfully.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 3, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Humboldt Squid posted:

Yeah, I know :( The story I was told was that it was Orinoco crocodile, but there's a good chance it was C.Actus (American crocodile) based on geography instead thankfully.

Depends on when it was. American crocs were also super rare and endangered, but bouncing back now.

Eat sustainable legally sourced gator and croc. It is delicious. Cant attest to how they are in smoothies though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Humboldt Squid posted:

but there's a good chance it was C.Actus
What a coincidence, I was going to say my interesting ingredient were nopales.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Probably eel farts.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

Bum the Sad posted:

Probably eel farts.

Had to Google this to make sure it wasn't a real thing.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
Monosodium glutamate.

I was like "Why am I using salt? This stuff makes everything better!"

VVVVV - Bacon and cheese is an American trade secret. It's also two ingredients. :burger:

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I think probably garam masala. That powder (in varying forms of composition and uses) has been an absolute eye-opener for me in terms of how I think of spice profiles, complementary flavors, and interactions.

Although, I will say that bacon on a cheeseburger legitimately blew my mind as a 7 year-old chinese immigrant.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jakcson posted:

VVVVV - Bacon and cheese is an American trade secret. It's also two ingredients. :burger:

Not if you use bacon cheese

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Asafoetida is mine. It smells like burnt rubber (hence the name) but gives a nice subtle onion flavor to a dish. If you've ever cooked Indian or similar and wondered why it didn't taste quite right add this.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not a single ingredient, but Uni sushi (Sea Urchin). It was pink and tasted like baby poop. Single worst food I've ever had. I love sushi but I cannot handle Uni.

Binkie
Mar 20, 2004

Robble Robble Robble
Uni is delicious and one of my favorite things about sushi. I had it for the first time in Japan, and didn't think I could hold it down. It grew on me and became one of my favorites.

It should not have been pink.

The one I had a tough time with, and stopped eating, was live abalone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dbTPC5eHY

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

jlechem posted:

Not a single ingredient, but Uni sushi (Sea Urchin). It was pink and tasted like baby poop. Single worst food I've ever had. I love sushi but I cannot handle Uni.

Baby poop? Funny, when I eat uni I taste the ocean. Where'd you have this uni?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look, a combined sushi bar and daycare may be an unusual concept but it's important to support small businesses in your neighborhood!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Massive posted:

Baby poop? Funny, when I eat uni I taste the ocean. Where'd you have this uni?

Yeah, fresh uni should just taste like the sea. I'm one of those rare people who don't love or hate uni. It's just ok for me, kinda weird. And yes, I've had some very high quality fantastically fresh uni, still didn't do much for me. But I'm also not crazy about but don't hate oysters and other shellfish either, so it makes sense I guess.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fenugreek Gouda cheese

Starts out tasting of Gouda and after chewing for about six seconds it transforms to tasting and having the texture of caramel.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Binkie posted:

Uni is delicious and one of my favorite things about sushi. I had it for the first time in Japan, and didn't think I could hold it down. It grew on me and became one of my favorites.

It should not have been pink.

The one I had a tough time with, and stopped eating, was live abalone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dbTPC5eHY

sea urchin rules. One of my favorite food (or any memories) was going to Sicily, meeting a friend, going with a bunch of people to some random little seaside village an hour outside of there and having mountains of fresh seafood. Like fresh as in you see a live octopus and other live stuff get hacked up and cooked and brought to you.

Christ I want to go to Palermo again. It's such an awesome place for food.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

fliptophead posted:

Asafoetida is mine. It smells like burnt rubber (hence the name) but gives a nice subtle onion flavor to a dish. If you've ever cooked Indian or similar and wondered why it didn't taste quite right add this.

Asafoetida is some great stuff. We call it, uh, what you'd expect at home (besides hing).

For me, the most interesting is the fresh truffle. I can't really detect saffron flavor, and at first I didn't think I could taste truffle until I had some on popcorn of all things. Now I know what I'm tasting and it's been fun to incorporate a little fresh shaved truffle into things on the rare occasion I get a ball. On that note, I had candy cap mushroom ice cream a couple times and that stuff is amazing. I haven't cooked with it, though.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
probably anchovies,

on their own,
in oil or pickled,
to enhance fish dishes,
used in a dip for veggies,
as a great ingredient in ragu.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

For the first time I had it, either kangaroo or crocodile. Kangaroo is really close to super lean beef, like 1-2% body fat so it needs to be eaten rare or mid rare if not sous vide cooked with a little beef dripping. Fantastic with a rich fruit based marinade like a Thai plum sauce.

Crocodile was nice too. It tastes fishy but it's like eating beef in terms of texture

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

McSpergin posted:

For the first time I had it, either kangaroo or crocodile. Kangaroo is really close to super lean beef, like 1-2% body fat so it needs to be eaten rare or mid rare if not sous vide cooked with a little beef dripping. Fantastic with a rich fruit based marinade like a Thai plum sauce.

Crocodile was nice too. It tastes fishy but it's like eating beef in terms of texture

Kangaroo is a delicious meat but yes you do need to cook it rare otherwise you're chewing leather for dinner.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Donkey blood

Used to get donkey blood rice at the donkey restaurant.

Rice in an earthenware thing, crispy on the bottom, with a layer of donkey blood and meat on top. Ridiculously good.

That or dried scallops, but I don't use dried scallops as an ingredient I just eat them.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
As a white, lower-middle class american, real Parmesan. When you spend years of your life thinking it's that poo poo from a green can and you try some for real aged for ages parm it is life changing. A close second is probably kimchi or tteok, because Korean food was love at first sight for me.

Ed:I guess technically the Korean thing would be gochujang then? I dunno, they put that poo poo on everything and it feels like saying water on pasta blew your mind.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 11, 2015

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I had some sheep lung in Chicago.
It was cold and hot at the same time!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Huitlacoche.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
RINO HORN! IT GOT ME "HORNED" UP!!!

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Cannabis. Definitely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cats
May 11, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Huitlacoche.

Yes! Had this in Mexico city last winter. Also had grasshoppers there, they were awesome but come on, anything fried is going to taste good.
I've also had jellyfish and pickled watermelon.

• Locked thread