Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

dscruffy1 posted:

Depending on your branch of service (in the US at least) a Treasure Captain would be outranked by a Treasure Admiral in the Navy or a Treasure Major in the other services.

Also this game is really good and everyone should play it. :v:

Actually, in the Treasure Corps of the Mushroom Kingdom, Treasure Captain is the highest rank, just because Captain Toad declared it to be so when he founded the Corps. Below it is Treasure Admiral, Treasure Brigadier General, Junior Treasure Commander Sr., and Junior Treasure Commander Jr., among others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Cryohazard posted:

This game is visually appealing and adorable but it looks like an absolute chore to play.

It isn't really. The levels are short enough that replaying them to get missing gems/objectives isn't a chore. Plus the levels are filled with cute details and such, it's actually really relaxing.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Pyroi posted:

Actually, in the Treasure Corps of the Mushroom Kingdom, Treasure Captain is the highest rank, just because Captain Toad declared it to be so when he founded the Corps. Below it is Treasure Admiral, Treasure Brigadier General, Junior Treasure Commander Sr., and Junior Treasure Commander Jr., among others.

At the bottom is "rear end in a top hat who never gets anything done because he's always sleeping on the job, Steve. Which is official due to the blue toad recording it verbatim.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

[game] is one of those games that sounded like awful baby poo poo for babies but turned out to be the best thing ever

nintendo.txt

This game looks delightful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The only thing that comes close to feeling like a chore are some of the challenges that have thin margins for error and there aren't a lot of them. Some of the end game is pretty challenging but it never feels like a chore.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Massrafter, you gotta agree that Nintendo went soft.

Nowadays all they release are easy cute kiddie games like this one.

I really, truly miss the day when they made challenging games with adult themes such as Superman 64. :v:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

tithin posted:

My 5 year old loved your video, but try to keep the bad language to a minimum? ;)

this is a kid who's clocked Super Mario 3d world (albeit with the help of the invincibility cape, but it's still good

I promise I won't for the rest of the LP. Last video was recorded before your post.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 6, 2015

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No need to overstress about it, if it slips through it slips through, and I'm pretty sure he's heard worse at kinder. I appreciate the effort not to though :)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
For some reason I had this idea that people hated this game and the praise in the OP was sarcastic. But no, this is genuinely delightful.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 7, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is the library stage going to update its wanted posters with each new boss?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Spinwheel Library's music is so chill...

Actually, most of this game's music is really well done. It's reminiscent of Mario game music, but the pacing is a bit slower, which makes sense since your character doesn't have the same mobility as Mario.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have to say that I like that they took a simple idea that would have been ignored in most cases (a Mario game where you can't jump) and was able to make a whole game out of it. With a ton of creative levels designed around that idea. The bad thing about Captain Toad is that it's pretty short, but it's $40 instead of $60 so you are getting what you pay for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Toad finds out that stealth isn't as easy as it first appears and provides a new twist to water levels! Will he ever catch up to Toadette?

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzE9hQeZMS8

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
This game is cool and I like it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It looks like your WiiU is one month forward, given such "Played:" dates as "03/03/2015" and "03/05/2015".

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You are a month behind. If I marathoned the LP, I would have known about the posters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NGDBSS posted:

It looks like your WiiU is one month forward, given such "Played:" dates as "03/03/2015" and "03/05/2015".

Listen, Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love how, when Captain Toad bumps against the edge of a stage while underwater, his arms stick out of the water.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It's time to rescue Toadette and wrap things up. We get an epic two part boss battle level to give this game a proper send off. Thanks for watching, it's been fun!

Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWMVn2TeDA0

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Man that's a short game.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

So... they celebrated with dance upon capturing the Wingo star? :haw:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Samovar posted:

Man that's a short game.

Actually, that's only the end of the first part. The second part features Wingo's mother seeking revenge for the Captain's murder of Wingo, and so, in retaliation, kills Brigadier General Toad's most trusted soldier, Æschere. Captain Toad is then sent out to Wingo's Mother's underwater lair to kill the beast and take her hoard of ancient, treasured swords.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyroi posted:

Actually, that's only the end of the first part. The second part features Wingo's mother seeking revenge for the Captain's murder of Wingo, and so, in retaliation, kills Brigadier General Toad's most trusted soldier, Æschere. Captain Toad is then sent out to Wingo's Mother's underwater lair to kill the beast and take her hoard of ancient, treasured swords.

Well.....this LP is forever ruined. :smith:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Pyroi posted:

I.... isn't that Beowulf? Pretty sure that's the plot of Beowulf.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:thejoke:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I lost it when Toadette helped out.
The Boo's turn into ghosts when you kill them.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Zain posted:

I.... isn't that Beowulf? Pretty sure that's the plot of Beowulf.

No no no, Beowulf has Grendel, not Wingo.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

No wonder this game is $45 if it's this short. Oh well, psyched for CoD: Ghosts on the Wii U!

EDIT: VVVV I have to pay slightly more with my puny Canadian dollars

Tippecanoe fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 11, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tin Hat posted:

No wonder this game is $45 if it's this short. Oh well, psyched for CoD: Ghosts on the Wii U!

Only $40, even more value!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Pyroi posted:

No no no, Beowulf has Grendel, not Wingo.

Ah! I'm sorry I get them confused often. I was sure Treasure Tracker was a steampunk retelling of Beowulf.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

What I find baffling about the game is that as short as it is, it doesn't even have multiple save files. I'd understand if it was a Pokémon with their complex RNG mechanics, but Captain Toad is maybe half as long as Mario 3D World...

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

There will also be NO SPOILERS! The twists and turns must be kept secret until they air.
Hulkamatt mentions there are not only "episodes" but only 3 of them to boot. :arghfist: I was wondering how many there would be. No biggie.

Only on episode one, having just started the game up the other day. You mentioned not knowing about running early on due to having a digital copy of the game and thus no manual? Well, like most Nintendo and frankly most games in general (in the US at least), the retail copy doesn't have a manual either. :( That prompt after the third or so level suggesting you take a look at the digital manual might've helped. But heck, discovery is an important part of adventure and no manual is going to tell you that can kill a Shyguy just by climbing down a ladder onto it! :3:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Zuzie posted:

What I find baffling about the game is that as short as it is, it doesn't even have multiple save files. I'd understand if it was a Pokémon with their complex RNG mechanics, but Captain Toad is maybe half as long as Mario 3D World...

Just make another user profile on your Wii U.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I love how Toadette is way more into the minecart ride than El Capitan

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Luigi at 15:17.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I take no responsibility for spoilering the sleeping. :colbert:
You could have shown it off in the very first level, right next to your sleeping buddy, but chose not to.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tithin posted:

You're polling well in the 5-6 year old demographics!

You guys gotta go with this! Do you have any idea how much money 5 year olds have?! You'll make a fortune!

Vault Vanderhuge
Aug 11, 2011
Behold Chunder Road
I lurk like mad around here but goddamn, this is a good game. I don't have a WiiU yet but this is second on my list of poo poo to buy when I do get one, right behind Mario 3D World. I played the demo at GameStop once only and was hooked forever. I will be watching this with avid interest. :allears:

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Pyroi posted:

Does the third part involve a fight with a dragon that mortally wounds Capt. Toad, though, he still manages to slay it, and his squire is the only one of the company to return to tell the tale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cartheon posted:

Does the third part involve a fight with a dragon that mortally wounds Capt. Toad, though, he still manages to slay it, and his squire is the only one of the company to return to tell the tale?

No, he already fought the dragon.

• Locked thread