Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Indy Eleven starting keeper Kristian Nicht just got transferred to Montreal and is almost definitely gonna start the CCL final match on Wednesday. I'm so loving pumped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Unless Indy gets a new goalie quick they're gonna leak some goals. I think both of their other goalkeepers have no experience since college.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

This is huge, but not immediately obvious if you don't know the backstory:

quote:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2015/05/01/rowdies-hire-usl-founder-francisco-marcos-to-lead-international-development-effort

ROWDIES HIRE USL FOUNDER FRANCISCO MARCOS TO LEAD INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT EFFORT

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (May 1, 2015) — The Tampa Bay Rowdies announced today that they have retained Francisco Marcos to lead the club’s new international development effort. Marcos comes to the Rowdies with more than 40 years of experience in developing soccer in the United States.

I think this explains the Rowdies recent pre-season tour of Portugal, and Rongen's talk about setting up a Rowdies youth academy overseas, ie, in Portugal.

Marcos was an original Rowdie in the front office in 1974, and later went on to found the USL.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's cool! I wish the original Austin Aztex founder wasn't LITERALLY the devil.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

This is huge, but not immediately obvious if you don't know the backstory:

I think this explains the Rowdies recent pre-season tour of Portugal, and Rongen's talk about setting up a Rowdies youth academy overseas, ie, in Portugal.

Marcos was an original Rowdie in the front office in 1974, and later went on to found the USL.

This could end up being really interesting. I think it's a great move.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

That's cool! I wish the original Austin Aztex founder wasn't LITERALLY the devil.

They say if you look in a darkened mirror and say his name three times he will appear! :devil:

King of False Promises posted:

This could end up being really interesting. I think it's a great move.

It also puts to rest any lingering connections to the TOA/NASL/USL feud, I think. Rowdies owner Edwards had no connection to that fracas, and he just hired Marcos, the founder of and former owner of the USL. Not sure if Marcos still has connections to USL but I expect he does, even if only informally.

Anyway this seems to be tied in to a long term marketing/promotion/development/youth academy plan that Marcos is working on. So a good sign for long term Rowdies development.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 2, 2015

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

A trade...

quote:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2015/04/29/rowdies-acquire-richard-menjivar-in-trade-with-scorpions

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (April 29, 2015) -- The Tampa Bay Rowdies have acquired midfielder Richard Menjivar from the San Antonio Scorpions in exchange for defender Brad Rusin, the club announced today.

New York Cosmos played a home match at MCU Park in Coney Island, Brooklyn, this past weekend. Announced attendance was in the 5,000+ range I believe, which is not bad considering how far away that is from their present home base in Long Island.

quote:

http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2015/5/4/8544015/brooklyn-an-intriguing-option-for-alternative-cosmos-stadium-location

Brooklyn an Intriguing Option for Alternative Cosmos Stadium Location

BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- The wind blew in from the Atlantic Ocean and the sounds of the Coney Island Boardwalk were audible in MCU Park as the Cosmos battled the Ottawa Fury on Saturday night.

quote:

http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2015/apr/30/brooklyn-borough-president-eric-adams-welcomes-cos/

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams welcomes Cosmos to Brooklyn

Not as well located as Belmont perhaps but the area around MCU Park is next to a subway station. Presumably they would have to acquire land to build a Cosmos stadium next to MCU Park; you certainly would not want the Cosmos playing at a baseball park for more than a few experimental home games like this past weekend.

(Edit to add: I just saw on the interwebs that they are removing the ice for the final time from Nassau Coliseum. You would think that after having just lost the NY Islanders to Brooklyn, that Nassau County would be a bit more welcoming to the Cosmos, but, apparently not.)

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 6, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Aztex score twice in five minutes to win against SLC, thanks to a Robert Green-esque performance from the Monarchs' GK in stoppage time:

http://gfycat.com/UltimateParallelCatbird

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

Aztex score twice in five minutes to win against SLC, thanks to a Robert Green-esque performance from the Monarchs' GK in stoppage time:

http://gfycat.com/UltimateParallelCatbird
That field :stare:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

That field :stare:

I know :( It's the only one we could get. They say they're going to build a stadium where the newspaper plant is, but that'll be a few years from now.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Went to the season opener for the Las Vegas Mobsters PDL team last weekend, versus FC Tuscon. Sloppy game ended with a 2-2 draw and a red card on a Tuscon player for an elbow. After the game I saw a Tuscon fan got dragged away by his friends. I guess he was trying to pick a fight, said someone was calling him a Nazi.

10/10, will watch again.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

"According to reports...":

quote:

http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2015/5/11/8587609/nasl-expansion-2016-hartford-connecticut-

Hartford City FC will be the NASL's newest expansion side, according to reports

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Interview with original Rowdie front office man Francisco Marcos and recent Rowdies hire:

quote:

Interview with Tampa Bay Rowdies’ Francisco Marcos about international development

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/05/12/interview-with-tampa-bay-rowdies-francisco-marcos-about-international-development/

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
lets hope hartford goes better than the last few expansion efforts (aside from jacksonville which has been handled very well)

looking at you oklahoma city and virginia

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The USL's launching a stadium initiative with some architects. Start with Austin, please!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hung out at Harrisburg/Charlotte for a while tonight. Pretty well attended and a nice evening for a match.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Also, these USL streams on youtube are actually pretty nice.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Rowdies won, so they're back in second place. Sellout crowd, too, I think. Nothing like a derby to get the fans out. Strikers had good away support.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Indy Eleven continue to sell out games and also continue to suck. Every game this season has seemed winnable, and they just keep giving it away.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies won, so they're back in second place. Sellout crowd, too, I think. Nothing like a derby to get the fans out. Strikers had good away support.

You got rained on I hear; fortunately not bad enough to cancel the game this time; if the Rowdies get their SSS built it better have a good roof for the fans at least. Rain in Florida is often sheets of water, not just drops. Can quickly make a playing surface unplayable. And that's not mentioning the threat of lightning.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

You got rained on I hear; fortunately not bad enough to cancel the game this time; if the Rowdies get their SSS built it better have a good roof for the fans at least. Rain in Florida is often sheets of water, not just drops. Can quickly make a playing surface unplayable. And that's not mentioning the threat of lightning.

Yeah, normally when Ft. Lauderdale comes up we get thunderstorms. This time it was just regular shower. We really need at least the stands to be fully covered. When it started, everyone moved under the overhangs.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, normally when Ft. Lauderdale comes up we get thunderstorms. This time it was just regular shower. We really need at least the stands to be fully covered. When it started, everyone moved under the overhangs.

Kartik Krishnaiyer came up to St. Pete from Ft. Lauderdale for the match, so naturally the rain followed him. He's like a rain storm god or something. :v:

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Eleven 1 - 3 MNU. Pretty bad game. Pretty good rainbow.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

Kartik Krishnaiyer came up to St. Pete from Ft. Lauderdale for the match, so naturally the rain followed him. He's like a rain storm god or something. :v:

I saw him walking around but didn't actually get to hang out with him. He's really great.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

Every single Rowdies-Strikers game has poo poo weather. It's like a natural law or something.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Do over Ham posted:

Not as well located as Belmont perhaps but the area around MCU Park is next to a subway station. Presumably they would have to acquire land to build a Cosmos stadium next to MCU Park; you certainly would not want the Cosmos playing at a baseball park for more than a few experimental home games like this past weekend.

This is a little deceptive since if you are going to take the LIRR to the subway system involves going to Jamaica then transferring. Problem is the LIRR weekend service, means your talking a two hour trip both ways for a lot of the island.

I think the whole Coney Island thing was a ploy to pressure Belmont to get off their rear end. They been dragging their feet for three years now.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Lladre posted:

This is a little deceptive since if you are going to take the LIRR to the subway system involves going to Jamaica then transferring. Problem is the LIRR weekend service, means your talking a two hour trip both ways for a lot of the island.

I think the whole Coney Island thing was a ploy to pressure Belmont to get off their rear end. They been dragging their feet for three years now.

I hope it was just a ploy. And I hope the Cosmos do get their Belmont SSS built. It looks like a good spot and a good fit for that location; I can't imagine what Nassau County or NY State or whoever it is, thinks is going to be a better project for that land. Nassau County are losing the NY Islanders after all; why not play nice with what could turn out to be a very nice replacement. Not unlike the Rowdies situation in St. Pete with the city of St. Pete going to lose the Rays sooner or later; why not encourage the local soccer club. Catch the soccer wave!

That location in Coney Island might be a good spot for a SSS for a Brooklyn soccer club some time in the future. I nominate the Brooklyn Wanderers! They actually had quite a long history for an early US soccer club:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Wanderers

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 18, 2015

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Every single Rowdies-Strikers game has poo poo weather. It's like a natural law or something.

Rowdies vs. Strikers + presence of Kartik within 300 miles = rain. :v:

Ralph's Mob tifo from the match (they really could use some ropes to the roof to pull up the tifo, but no dice for now apparently):

Tifo is referencing this (Florida's Official Other Team):

http://www.strikers.com/news/2015/03/19/strikers-unveil-2015-marketing-campaign

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So multiple NASL-related Tweeters are reporting that Miami is getting an NASL team next year.

I...huh?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
NASL is expanding in 2016! To... Miami?!

I have no idea what to think about this. 4 NASL teams in Florida! And this one is directly challenging the stalled MLS/Beckham team.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don't the Strikers cover the Miami area? I know Fort Lauderdale is a good 23 miles away, but the whole 'South Florida' concept includes that area. They were even called Miami FC in 2010!

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

CaptainYesterday posted:

Don't the Strikers cover the Miami area? I know Fort Lauderdale is a good 23 miles away, but the whole 'South Florida' concept includes that area. They were even called Miami FC in 2010!

The problem is Miami soccer supports in general do not want to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. They want a team of their own.

I think it's an interesting move, but I really wish they would get a West Coast team going.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

NASL is expanding in 2016! To... Miami?!

I have no idea what to think about this. 4 NASL teams in Florida! And this one is directly challenging the stalled MLS/Beckham team.

Come to St. Petersburg, David Beckham! Tampa Bay Rowdies have the urban downtown waterfront soccer stadium that you are looking for in Miami and can't find.

This new group has their work cut out for them in Miami. If they can draw even modest crowds they'll be doing good. The old Miami FC couldn't draw flies. If Beckham gets the stadium situation in Miami that Garber wants, they're screwed. But, that doesn't seem likely to happen at this point. We'll see.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

CaptainYesterday posted:

23 miles from the Northern edge of Miami, and that's mostly industrial.
Forty plus some miles from most homes I'd say.

Did they say where in Miami they are putting this stadium?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Lladre posted:

23 miles from the Northern edge of Miami, and that's mostly industrial.
Forty plus some miles from most homes I'd say.

Did they say where in Miami they are putting this stadium?

quote:

A statement provided to The Associated Press says the team will play "in one of the existing world-class stadiums of Miami."

So your guess is as good as mine. Presumably not Tropical Park! My guess would be FIU's stadium.

Interesting that the big news now is Beckham talking of cooperation with U. of Miami to build his SSS; but they have talked about this kind of partnership before; the stumbling block is still, "build it where" exactly?

Interesting I found this on the Tropical Park wiki; "There's talk that...", should have a "citation needed"; ie, it is pure speculation, but interesting nonetheless:

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Park_Stadium

Tropical Park Stadium is a 10,000-seat stadium located in Olympia Heights, Florida, a CDP near Miami, Florida. The stadium is located in Tropical Park and was the home field of Miami FC of the United Soccer Leagues. Many local high-school football teams use it as their home field.

The multi-purpose stadium features an athletics track, and a grass field used for soccer, American football, rugby, and other various sports.

Tropical Park hosted matches during the 2006 CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup.

There's talk that one day, this would be the future home of the Miami Hurricanes Football team with a new stadium on the footprint.

Tropical Park is not located in downtown Miami. Is it a good location as far as public transit, roads, traffic, parking, etc? I don't know Miami well enough to comment but I don't think this is a location Garber would like, but it might be "good enough" in partnership with U. of Miami, maybe? I have no idea. But if the NASL Miami FC starts to look credible, it might push Garber and MLS into accepting a site that isn't located downtown ie the urban center of Miami, simply to block the NASL in Miami. The plot thickens!

Edit to add: latest news stories say that the location next to Marlins Park is at the top of Beckham's list now as it has the fewest impediments (and it is what the city of Miami has been pushing all along) but looking at it from Google satellite, there's no room; you could maybe squeeze in a cramped, oddly shaped 18,000 seater, but there's no way you could fit the 45,000 seater stadium that the UM wants.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 23, 2015

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tropical park is next to the highway and is bordered by bird road so it's pretty accessible.
It would make more sense than putting it by the shore.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
They gave away Pele bobble heads, and they look nothing like him.

San Antonio played like they wanted to win, Raul was instrumental in all three goals.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With all the flooding in Texas, the Aztex' home stadium, House Park, is damaged. The good news is there is no home games until June 20th. However, they're still waiting on AISD (the owners of House Park) to say when the stadium and its turf will be ready. All the more reason to BUILD THE DANG STADIUM.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Even our humble little league is expected to be impacted by recent FIFA events.

quote:

Aaron Davidson CEO of NASL (2nd Div) and president of Traffic Sports (Owns Carolina Railhawks NASL) also expected to be indicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
awesome

#TrafficSportsOut

• Locked thread