Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Great thread.

Let's

Go

Scorps

The Scorpions are the only professional team in the world that exist to support a charity. All proceeds from the team go to Morgan's Wonderland; the worlds first theme park designed for children with disabilities. Reason enough to support them if you're looking for a team.

San Antonio has brought back a decent core from last years championship squad, keeping the rights to main playmaker Colombian Rafael Castillo who scored a bicycle kick in the final game to help the Scorps win it all this year. The other goal was scored by young Billy Forbes who will also come back. Defenders Stephen Deroux and Julius James as well as defensive midfielder Richard Menjivar are back. Texan Josue Soto is back. Original keeper Darryl Sattler returns to the team. Forwards Frenchman Eric Hassli, Pole Tomas Zahorski and Cesar Elizondo are back as well.

Not sure where Walter Restrepo ended up but he was great for us last year. We signed another Colombian, center back Eduar Zea that I know zero about. Should be another great year!

Edit: I see Restrepo wen to the Cosmos. Fucker.

Suqit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Nice

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Woof! Woof! posted:

In 45-60 days Don Garber may announce that Minnesota United will be leaving this shithole league forever.

So long, suckers. Enjoy watching Raul turn into dust.

(unless we don't go to MLS and then I say to you: please take me back)

Well if that means you out of this thread I'm all for it.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

CaptainYesterday posted:

USL season starts this Saturday, so get hype for half-filled MLS stadiums hosting reserve games!

Did you watch your Aztex destroy the Scorps?

Man that was a shitshow. It's not like SA played reserves either. It was pretty much our A team and the backup keeper.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

awyeahz posted:

Sergio Pena scored from 45 yards out to beat the Scorps. He's attempted that shot in every game and its always way off the mark but it worked tonight and now Eleven are in second place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY5a6IH4D90

That was a heartbreaker.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

c0ldfuse posted:

What did you Scorp fans think of that last PK call? Highlights show he made contact with ball first albeit hard into the man.

Unless it was a make-up call for a missed call earlier (which MN's PK definitely was), I don't see how it is a PK to Scorps as those situations should favor keeper. It may have been hard to see on field but replay is pretty clear.

It all evens out in the end.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
That was like watching the Scorps last year. Very nice.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Julius James broke his leg last night. And unfortunately they showed it in slow mo on the big screen. Twice. It was very obvious he broke it. :(

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I hope someone else watched the game last night between the Scorps and Railhawks. 6 goals, 3 penalties awarded, 11 yellow cards and 2 reds. Incredible.

Scorps went down a man early with a red card and penalty, Carolina scores again soon after making it 2-0. Scorps manage to draw one back short handed. 2-1.

They continue attacking all game creating over 9000 missed opportunities. Scorps get awarded a penalty which is saved nicely. Then get another penalty awarded plus a red to make it 10 on 10. Convert that penalty to draw even. Chavez then scores a screamer to pull ahead 3-2. In the 75th or so Carolina draw even. Plus there is a fight. Best Game Ever.

http://www.sascorpions.com/servlets/video-player.php?videoid=XfNIhWVx0Ig

Shipalane's goal was equally impressive, but I'm not looking that up :newlol:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

CaptainYesterday posted:

From an inside report (my cousin's husband works for the San Antonio Spurs), Scorpions FC will be dissolved and a new team will be formed owned by the Spurs organization.

gently caress. I knew this would happen it just makes me sad.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Rip San Antonio Scorps. I loved you and then you died.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Do over Ham posted:

"Supporters" say that, do they?

They are really pushing this "USL is the route to MLS" line pretty hard, and ignoring the fact that most of those USL teams were part of the old TOA rebellion against the USL which lead to the creation of the NASL and/or they left USL before the NASL even existed. Only Orlando went straight from USL to MLS.

And this one is really a bit premature:

:stare:

Yeah. I hope the tickets are cheap. I didn't mind paying a bunch when the proceeds went to charity. But I guess I should trust the Spurs since they run the best franchise in sports.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Blue Star Error posted:

So if I understand this, there was a team and then a faceless sportocorp bought their stadium and because of that they have ceased to exist for ~reasons~ instead of just finding somewhere else to play? And then said corporation is going to parachute their own made up team into the stadium like some kind of demented football cuckoo? And the fans of the old team are expected to support this new team? Why didn't they just buy the old team?

Just get promotion and relegation already ffs.

There's a little more to it then that. The original team was created to support a specific charity. They were never going to MLS. The Spurs are far from a faceless sportocorp. The community knows who the owners are and they are supported and loved here. They bought the stadium with the express intention of getting an MLS team.

The scorpions cease to exist because now that the stadium and surrounding fields are sold, that money can go to the charity the team was created for, meaning there is no longer a reason for that team.

They didn't buy the old team because of retarded American soccer politics. Which is also the same reason we will never have promotion and relegation.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Welp, I've put down a deposit on 2 tickets to the new team. Seems that insures I keep my seats. Also it looks like tickets are quite a bit cheaper. Mine were like $750 each including parking and now the rumor is they will be $600 per seat including parking. So there's that.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I read it wrong, supposedly the seats will be $450 a piece. Considerably less. I didn't mind "overpaying" for Scorps tickets because all the profits went to a charity I support. $450 with parking aint too shabby imo. My seats are behind the visitors bench, 11th row, covered. Good seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Well our new team doesn't have a name other than USL San Antonio, but apparently we have a coach: Darren Powell, whoever the gently caress that is. I guess I'll go google him.

• Locked thread